It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Jaw Breaker wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
Mac & Park were hyping this interview; guess it fell flat.

They even had BIG VOICE GUY do a promo for the “must-listen” interview. Was it actually prerecorded?

If it was, they never mentioned it in transition.
I'm not a fan of LoHo's interview style, so I wasn't expecting much.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:54 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn...Frozen!
MVP has 1.2 ratings. No one is listening to that station.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:17 am 

I wish Sir would have really attacked him for that string of straw men Hahn set up and knocked down regarding all the historical things people said could never be done that they did.

Whoever said the Sox would never trade with the Cubs? In this situation it was more likely people were saying the Cubs wouldn't trade with the Sox.

Whoever said the Sox would never undertake a rebuild?

I cannot remember the third point.

However, he buries the biggest one within these three, which is to sign a big time free agent, the one at which the failed.

There were so many other easily pierced statements in that interview.

"We don't have a policy against opt outs"- well, if you have never given one and you wouldn't give one to the biggest free agent you will pursue in your lifetime even though it was at an incredibly team friendly five years, then you have a de facto policy against giving them. It was fucking insulting to bring up that you gave one to Albert Belle as that was several decades and management teams ago.

Apparently from my reading of Soxtalk some people were lead to believe the Sox didn't have an opportunity to match. He expressly stated that he and JR had a very frank sitdown with Lozano on Monday to discuss where the market was for Machado. That sounds like a generalized way of saying that they knew the parameters of the SD offer through Lozano who was telling them his client preferred the Sox if they would counter appropriately.

It didn't sound like the offer was at $350 including incentive years. It sounded like it was $320. As others have noted here, it would be a poor choice to take a possible 320 instead of a guaranteed 300 WITH AN OPT OUT.

Anyway, my belief is that they weren't going to accept an offer that didn't include an opt out so the Sox never had a legit offer on the table.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
There's no way Hahn would agree to come on the show if he was gong to get lit up.
Larry's not going to light him up, as he'll never get another "bite of the apple".

I didn't listen. I'm not interested. The facts are out there. The market / asking price was $300 M guaranteed. The Machado camp felt perfectly comfortable waiting for it. San Diego came in and showed exactly what it means to be all in and how to execute a plan. The White Sox plan was different.. Now they have nothing to show for it.

Again...I'll continue to agree that $300M was overpaying for Machado, but if you want to win...sometimes you have to overpay. Welcome to the big boys club. Jerry not interested in being a member.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:35 am 

wdelaney72 wrote:
There's no way Hahn would agree to come on the show if he was gong to get lit up.
Larry's not going to light him up, as he'll never get another "bite of the apple".

I didn't listen. I'm not interested. The facts are out there. The market / asking price was $300 M guaranteed. The Machado camp felt perfectly comfortable waiting for it. San Diego came in and showed exactly what it means to be all in and how to execute a plan. The White Sox plan was different.. Now they have nothing to show for it.

Again...I'll continue to agree that $300M was overpaying for Machado, but if you want to win...sometimes you have to overpay. Welcome to the big boys club. Jerry not interested in being a member.

Oh, he disputed the premise that the Sox have to overpay. Th rest of the league thinks they have something great going on, according to him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
good dolphin wrote:
It was fucking insulting to bring up that you gave one to Albert Belle as that was several decades and management teams ago.

Even the Albert Belle opt-out wasn't "clean." According to Spiegel, the only reason Belle was able to exercise it was because the contract called for a raise if he was no longer one of the three highest paid players in the league. After two years that happened and it would have meant an increase of $1m... the Sox refused, so he was able to opt out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
good dolphin wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

Oh, he disputed the premise that the Sox have to overpay. Th rest of the league thinks they have something great going on, according to him.

This is all fluff and nonsense. Back to my point....nothing worth listening to.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:46 am 

wdelaney72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

This is all fluff and nonsense. Back to my point....nothing worth listening to.

It really wasn't, unless you get off on getting angry...which I do sometimes.