It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Score producers
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:54 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Score producers are an interesting subject. I'm sure these guys come to the score with higher aspirations. I'll hear a guys name mentioned early afternoon, than he'll be working at the beginning of Les's trainwreck. That's a long day. Les seems to be the bottom of the barrel training destination they start out at for next to no pay. Whenever one sits in on "Can't do it", they all say they'd leave in a heartbeat for more money.

There has to be a lot of resentment towards McNight and Parkins taking choice hosting jobs, though both being generic, and vanilla. Even Julie, I don't remember her paying her dues being a producer slave laborer.

Post subject: Re: Score producers
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
vitoscotti wrote:
Score producers are an interesting subject. I'm sure these guys come to the score with higher aspirations. I'll hear a guys name mentioned early afternoon, than he'll be working at the beginning of Les's trainwreck. That's a long day. Les seems to be the bottom of the barrel training destination they start out at for next to no pay. Whenever one sits in on "Can't do it", they all say they'd leave in a heartbeat for more money.

There has to be a lot of resentment towards McNight and Parkins taking choice hosting jobs, though both being generic, and vanilla. Even Julie, I don't remember her paying her dues being a producer slave laborer.

Mac more than paid his dues as a producer so those guys can fuck off if they’re pissed at him. Parkins also produced and went out of market to host . To me that’s the underlying issue . Seems like the producers of today think they’re entitled to hold hosting jobs in Chicago after x amount of years as a producer and that’s stupid . Take a hosting job somewhere else , prove you can get ratings and you’ll have no problems getting back here to host .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
That's what Goff did as well. He didn't get the ratings, but that was a goofy station fighting to be the third sports talker - sort of like 87.7.

The only producer today on 670 who should even be considered for a permanent weekend shift is Dziepak. Shep is horrible at hosting.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:07 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Shep is horrible at hosting.

He certainly struggles with words at times.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
doug - evergreen park wrote:

In radio that’s kinda important. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:18 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
:wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
score producers would be a boned up knowing they had their own thread on CFMB

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's

He often sounds like a putz in a bar who is this close --> <-- to having had too much to drink and is about to become belligerent.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:04 am 

ESPN 1000 has no name guys more involved on air. I assume they're producers. They don't add much. Les has slews of new, green producers, one after another. Les puts them on a short leash on air. Not the best launching pad for their career. Julie always knocks privileged white guys who can intern for no pay. She said they have a tremendous advantage being privileged to do so. It's pretty obvious she's referring to rich Jews.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
the producers dream of being on air is what holds them prisoner to the low paying job of being a producer. management knows this and thats why they dont pay producers anything.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
It seems like too many of them don't want to leave Chicago. There are exceptions, for sure, but I get the feeling that many of them want to be in Chicago because of the city and the size of the market. They can't see themselves hosting weekends in Buffalo.

But, that also means that most of them are going to sit on the sidelines and not get regular hosting gigs. Perhaps that's why so many of them also work at other jobs.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
vitoscotti wrote:
Even Julie, I don't remember her paying her dues being a producer slave laborer.

I don't know how JDC got involved in the radio biz. She stays in the biz because of her gender and the perceived threat of her filing a lawsuit against anyone who might remove her from employment. When she leaves, it will be on her own terms. That time can't come soon enough for me.

Why any radio exec hired her is beyond me. If you wanted a female on-air presence (which is why she's there), pick another woman who has much more knowledge about sports and much less desire to get into the weeds with the other SJWs.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:09 pm 

It seems to me that they are, on average, older and staying longer than they used to.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
In being on the road and listening to a lot of of local sports talk in the Midwest for the last three years, I can honestly and objectively say that the Score currently may have the least articulate and intelligent producers in the business. I have heard many other producers in smaller markets fill in on those stations and actually do a good job, let alone being able to form a coherent sentence.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:00 pm 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
In being on the road and listening to a lot of of local sports talk in the Midwest for the last three years, I can honestly and objectively say that the Score currently may have the least articulate and intelligent producers in the business. I have heard many other producers in smaller markets fill in on those stations and actually do a good job, let alone being able to form a coherent sentence.

Even Herb?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
juicer92000 wrote:
It seems like too many of them don't want to leave Chicago. There are exceptions, for sure, but I get the feeling that many of them want to be in Chicago because of the city and the size of the market. They can't see themselves hosting weekends in Buffalo.

But, that also means that most of them are going to sit on the sidelines and not get regular hosting gigs. Perhaps that's why so many of them also work at other jobs.

I think you nailed it. Hell, some of them have even tried it and come running back. Didn't Herb go to California and come back like 6 months later?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
tuned in today to see what was on. I think the guy's name was Joe O.

First he chastised all Cub fans that were saying the season was over in the first week because of the poor start. He said you all wanted to sell at the break but look now.

Then he turned it back that since they had a good week, they're going into october now for sure and they'll be buyers at the break.

Basically he did the same thing as what he chastised people for. Overreacting the other way because of 1 week in the season.

Then he got into some Sox talk. It was pretty bad because you could read into his Cubs bias / Sox hate when talking about the Sox. Why not just put a hooligan Cub fan behind the mic while you're at it.

Chris Rongy came on later talking about the Cards. He's doing a show with Spiegal Hit and run this sunday for free. Took shots at mitch rosen.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:33 am 

juicer92000 wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
Even Julie, I don't remember her paying her dues being a producer slave laborer.

I don't know how JDC got involved in the radio biz. She stays in the biz because of her gender and the perceived threat of her filing a lawsuit against anyone who might remove her from employment. When she leaves, it will be on her own terms. That time can't come soon enough for me.

Why any radio exec hired her is beyond me. If you wanted a female on-air presence (which is why she's there), pick another woman who has much more knowledge about sports and much less desire to get into the weeds with the other SJWs.

is there another market - lets say even medium sized - that Julie could succeed in? I don't think she could break through in another large one like New York. Theyd tear her to pieces. LA...maybe with what I assume is a bunch of cucks and Alyssa Milano. I'm sure she could get hired in like, the Quad Cities, but that sacrifices reach.

She'll never leave.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Jay Z makes 2 million a year as a producer.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:08 pm 

Good or bad, I can't tell the difference no matter which producer is on. The exception would be Herb because he has been there for what seems like 20 years.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:29 pm 

What's with Dustin Rhodes? Worked with Les years back. He appears to be the oldest of the bunch. Has bizarre opinions on 5 @5. Accuses Mully of jabbing about his height.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:53 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
vitoscotti wrote:
What's with Dustin Rhodes? Worked with Les years back. He appears to be the oldest of the bunch. Has bizarre opinions on 5 @5. Accuses Mully of jabbing about his height.

His opinions are his schtick. He seems to be one of the more competent people at actually producing but not particularly interested in being the lead person on the mike. (Or on Mike.)

The most underrated producer in small doses is Tannehill. But he's been there for almost 13 years.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:11 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I honestly don’t think the pay has changed much since the late 90s.

That would be my first guess as to why there is no real talent behind the boards at the Score.

Also, maybe the Score sucks, and is way more small time than we give it credit for?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:56 am 

vitoscotti wrote:

His opinions are his schtick. He seems to be one of the more competent people at actually producing but not particularly interested in being the lead person on the mike. (Or on Mike.)

The most underrated producer in small doses is Tannehill. But he's been there for almost 13 years.

Tannehill likes to find, and put Les screwups on the air. He's OK in my book. Les screwups are some of the best Chicago comedy ever.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gGoBVghpWG4

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
pittmike wrote:

In radio that’s kinda important. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
meanwhile WBBM producers (that are in a union?) are in a contract dispute.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/05/06/ ... s-heating/

Quote:
Employees of WBBM 780-AM/WCFS 105.9-FM are getting support from fellow union members in their contract negotiations with parent company Entercom. Writers Guild of America plans to rally at noon today outside the Prudential Building studios of WBBM Newsradio. At issue are raises for the station’s eight assistant producers, who now earn minimum hourly wage. “It’s a real shame,” said Patrick Barrins, one of the assistant producers. “Bottom line, Entercom and WBBM need to pay for the experience and expertise they require to create a quality product. The work done by assistant producers is crucial to the success of the newsroom. It should be compensated as such.” Entercom officials said they’re continuing to negotiate. WBBM Newsradio is Chicago’s top-rated and top-billing station with revenue of $39 million in 2018.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:49 pm 

Buddy Ryan years back was the scores nfl expert. The producers were pissed Ryan was making more than them. I believe it was between 25-30k.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:55 pm 

Reared on the Score wrote:

Quote:
Employees of WBBM 780-AM/WCFS 105.9-FM are getting support from fellow union members in their contract negotiations with parent company Entercom. Writers Guild of America plans to rally at noon today outside the Prudential Building studios of WBBM Newsradio. At issue are raises for the station’s eight assistant producers, who now earn minimum hourly wage. “It’s a real shame,” said Patrick Barrins, one of the assistant producers. “Bottom line, Entercom and WBBM need to pay for the experience and expertise they require to create a quality product. The work done by assistant producers is crucial to the success of the newsroom. It should be compensated as such.” Entercom officials said they’re continuing to negotiate. WBBM Newsradio is Chicago’s top-rated and top-billing station with revenue of $39 million in 2018.

An AP at the third largest market’s top billing station is making miminum wage? Shitty union, and shittier career choice.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Reared on the Score wrote:

Quote:

An AP at the third largest market’s top billing station is making miminum wage? Shitty union, and shittier career choice.

Yeah not hard to google what do radio producers make per year .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
It seems to me that they are, on average, older and staying longer than they used to.

That's true. It seems like when the SCORE started the producers were all kids in their 20s. If they didn't make it on air by 30 they quit. Jesse made it. And a few other guys made at places other then the SCORE.

But yeah, drinky stayed until he was 45. Rhodes is probably around that age. Zawaski is probably early 40s. Rhodes and Zawaski will be producers at the SCORE for life if allowed.

I'm shocked these guys don't take advantage of the fact that they only work 20 hour weeks and get a second job. They can be an Uber riders for 3 or 4 hours a day. I would do that if I were them. Especially Rhodes. I mean he's off at 9am. If he has kids, they're in school anyway. So it's not about spending time with the family. Go drive people around.

I know SCORE producers don't make much. But if you consider they only work 20 hours a week, it's a lot of money for such little time. It's probably a fair amount, actually. If they make 40k that's the equivalent of 80k for a 40 hour regular work week. That sounds more then fair.