It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 190  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Caller Bob wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Travel baseball is hilarious. Parents pay 3K so they can think their child is a great player. :lol:

That's a stereotype. When my kids played 15 years ago it was a few hundred bucks, 25 scheduled games and 1 trip out of town. They had a blast. Everybody did. So fuck off.

You just said 15 years ago. It's no longer a stereotype.

There are still teams that play only league games.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Caller Bob wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Travel baseball is hilarious. Parents pay 3K so they can think their child is a great player. :lol:

Our program is very inexpensive at about $500.

We have volunteer coaches. I'm not going to say I know everything there is to know about baseball. However, I think I know enough to get a kid to a degree of competency and baseball knowledge where he will be ready to play in high school if he chooses. I admit that I'm not good enough to fully develop pitching but I'm not bad. We hire a guy in the area during the off season who pitches for the Brewers minors. I like the guy but I just don't see next level teaching. I am just not seeing it from these "professional" coaches that I think any of our kids are at a disadvantage. Yet, its those coaches that are driving the price (along with generally unnescessary long distance travel).

All of this and then some.

We paid $800 one year, and went to Cooperstown.

$500 bucks a year and some solid competition.

Does that cover insurance or insurance provided already by then?

We carry our own insurance.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

We have volunteer coaches. I'm not going to say I know everything there is to know about baseball. However, I think I know enough to get a kid to a degree of competency and baseball knowledge where he will be ready to play in high school if he chooses. I admit that I'm not good enough to fully develop pitching but I'm not bad. We hire a guy in the area during the off season who pitches for the Brewers minors. I like the guy but I just don't see next level teaching. I am just not seeing it from these "professional" coaches that I think any of our kids are at a disadvantage. Yet, its those coaches that are driving the price (along with generally unnescessary long distance travel).

That's not bad for having to go out and get a carrier. Personally I think people that spend thousands on travel are fools, but whatever.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:58 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

dolphin, when you were a kid, did you play in a Park district league? I played at Dunham. Those still must be viable entities, because I get unending requests to sponsor them.

I played in the same Edgebrook Saugansh Little League my kids did or do play. It's vitality is strong. I think they have 1K kids playing from 5-15.

Dunham still is going pretty well.

I really like that it breaks down borders between kids. It probably draws from 5 schools. The kids would never have met each other but for this program.

I also like that there is a lot of room for kids of modest ability to grow and have moments of success. There is lots of joy to be had in house league

Last edited by good dolphin on Mon May 13, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

That's not bad for having to go out and get a carrier. Personally I think people that spend thousands on travel are fools, but whatever.

This is a fair amount of selling false hope in travel programs of every sport. So yes, there are parents paying thousands of dollars that are foolish.

But our son played on a local team that had good coaches at his level. Lombard and Villa park kids only. No recruits.

Their current U-13 team can play with anybody in the state from what I've been told.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
every coach thinks their team can play with any team in the state....until they're down 7-0 in the bottom of the 2nd.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:11 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

3k is light

Travel is decimating in-house baseball leagues, particularly in inner-city and lower income areas. I've seen it first hand.

Travel is the last hope for baseball in those areas. Despite the efforts of many, in house baseball here has blown for decades with 2-3 exceptions.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

3k is light

Travel is decimating in-house baseball leagues, particularly in inner-city and lower income areas. I've seen it first hand.

Travel is the last hope for baseball in those areas. Despite the efforts of many, in house baseball here has blown for decades with 2-3 exceptions.

YUP

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:19 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I just recently noticed that the house baseball league scheduled championships for July 6. Every freaking person in this country is looking to make that a long weekend because of July 4 on a Thursday...including me. We have a full family weekend my parents put together in Florida. I can't miss it but I wouldn't miss it either. The team looks like it is going to be pretty good and my boy is an instrumental part. I know if I tell the coaches now, they will end up cutting back their reliance on him at positions he should play in house league. I think I'm just going to wait and drop it on them as the season ends. I'll pray for rain that Saturday. I'd normally move heaven and earth to get him there but fuck this league for even thinking of it. This is house league. People aren't changing big plans for this. You couldn't end the season the previous weekend or the weekend after?

Get him out of house league next year. Believe me, you can find a travel team that plays only 20-30 games and doesn't need to go to Buttfuck, Iowa on the 5th of July. My kids never played over memorial day or the 4th.

House league is fun. He likes to play with and against his friends in the neighborhood and not be typecast positionally.

The championship day picnic is a great time. Good food and drink. Games go on for probably 8 hours and kids not playing in their game hang out to cheer on friends.

My complaint is about the scheduled date.

If you think that's bad, you should've seen the hell we got for playing a Mother's Day tourney one time. On Mother's Day we got to the fields for bp at 7am and didn't finish until 11pm. To make matters worse, the team we blew out in the 8am game all had flowers for the mothers after the game and went home to Mundelein(?) We didn't.

The ten or so team mothers were salty, especially when they realized the Father's Day weekend was time off for us. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:22 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I just recently noticed that the house baseball league scheduled championships for July 6. Every freaking person in this country is looking to make that a long weekend because of July 4 on a Thursday...including me. We have a full family weekend my parents put together in Florida. I can't miss it but I wouldn't miss it either. The team looks like it is going to be pretty good and my boy is an instrumental part. I know if I tell the coaches now, they will end up cutting back their reliance on him at positions he should play in house league. I think I'm just going to wait and drop it on them as the season ends. I'll pray for rain that Saturday. I'd normally move heaven and earth to get him there but fuck this league for even thinking of it. This is house league. People aren't changing big plans for this. You couldn't end the season the previous weekend or the weekend after?

Get him out of house league next year. Believe me, you can find a travel team that plays only 20-30 games and doesn't need to go to Buttfuck, Iowa on the 5th of July. My kids never played over memorial day or the 4th.

House league is fun. He likes to play with and against his friends in the neighborhood and not be typecast positionally.

The championship day picnic is a great time. Good food and drink. Games go on for probably 8 hours and kids not playing in their game hang out to cheer on friends.

If you think that's bad, you should've seen the hell we got for playing a Mother's Day tourney one time. On Mother's Day we got to the fields for bp at 7am and didn't finish until 11pm. To make matters worse, the team we blew out in the 8am game all had flowers for the mothers after the game and went home to Mundelein(?) We didn't.

The ten or so team mothers were salty, especially when they realized the Father's Day weekend was time off for us. :lol:

That much fun should be illegal.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

We had this set up the first year young Crest played.

All day Mother's Day, off for Father's Day.

It still comes up. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:29 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

love it

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:33 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

That much fun should be illegal.

We all went to Culver's for lunch and my lord were they hot. We sprung for a grip of tequila & some margarita mix on the way back. Since we knew we weren't going anywhere for hours, listening to them getting hammered was especially funny. I can still hear it now: "Man your momma is drunk". About 5-6 times. The level saltiness over Father's day weekend was priceless since all our kids had were an in house game or two and nothing Sat. evening or Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
good dolphin wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

dolphin, when you were a kid, did you play in a Park district league? I played at Dunham. Those still must be viable entities, because I get unending requests to sponsor them.

I played in the same Edgebrook Saugansh Little League my kids did or do play. It's vitality is strong. I think they have 1K kids playing from 5-15.

I really like that it breaks down borders between kids. It probably draws from 5 schools. The kids would never have met each other but for this program.

I also like that there is a lot of room for kids of modest ability to grow and have moments of success. There is lots of joy to be had in house league

So those are the same things? Park District leagues=home leagues? I've just never heard them called that. Obviously the All Stars play against one another?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:39 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

It did for us for about 3-4 years as well. What was unexpectedly funny was the older mothers complaining to the younger mothers a couple of years later even though the program switched it around a couple of times since then. Hell, it was summer break for the kids & the dads all pretty much wanted to be with their sons on the ballfields and with the other families we'd been doing this with for 3-4 years, so we didn't care, which made them saltier still.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:47 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

So those are the same things? Park District leagues=home leagues? I've just never heard them called that. Obviously the All Stars play against one another?

Our tournament/All Star team was pretty much split between four of the eight in house teams. The two teams with the most of those kids never played on big travel weekends, or if we did, it'd be the late game and the other coaches would hope we ran late. At 12, my son's team literally had seven kids that did or still are playing college baseball(five of them still in D1)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:54 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I don't care for the term "house league" so I call it what I think is a better descriptor.

There are leagues like ES and Dunham that play what you would know as traditional little league. You sign up at your field house, a few dads volunteer to coach, they split everyone up and you play against each other at the same park every Saturday for 2-3 months. That is "house" baseball.

Some of these house leagues also offer a travel league. All the people in the age group who also play in the house league can try out. The team plays in tournaments and frequently another league comprised of other travel teams from around the area. That is "travel"

There are also some (actually more than the house travel teams) travel teams that are entirely independent. They post tryout dates for anyone from anywhere. Some only play in tournaments, which usually means at least 3 games (and usually more) on a Friday night-Sunday. Some play in both tournaments and leagues. They are non profit entities set up by guys who are only doing it for the betterment of society and personal compensation. I think I would describe it like Babe Ruth baseball, from your life experience, only they start when the kids are very young.

It's a whole vortex that can make you crazy if you let it.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

It did for us for about 3-4 years as well. What was unexpectedly funny was the older mothers complaining to the younger mothers a couple of years later even though the program switched it around a couple of times since then. Hell, it was summer break for the kids & the dads all pretty much wanted to be with their sons on the ballfields and with the other families we'd been doing this with for 3-4 years, so we didn't care, which made them saltier still.

Trust me, it never happened again. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:47 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Our tournament/All Star team was pretty much split between four of the eight in house teams. The two teams with the most of those kids never played on big travel weekends, or if we did, it'd be the late game and the other coaches would hope we ran late. At 12, my son's team literally had seven kids that did or still are playing college baseball(five of them still in D1)

That's a crazy percentage. Out of both my kids teams, they were 2 years apart, we had 3 total play any kind of college ball. 1 was drafted while in college and washed out after 3 years.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:07 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

That's a crazy percentage. Out of both my kids teams, they were 2 years apart, we had 3 total play any kind of college ball. 1 was drafted while in college and washed out after 3 years.

Looking back, three were 11 and two were just 10. The next year one of the 10 year olds threw so hard, I didn't have a catcher who could catch him.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Cashman wrote:
hnd wrote:
we foster which puts us smack dab into some doozies of situations. This one I believe might be the craziest we've ever been involved with.

Mother has 2 children ages 3 and 1.5 with 2 different fathers. Also not really important to the story but of note...she is a little person. 2 fathers are not, 2 children are not. Children have been run through the system. 2 families they've been with have gotten divorced so they've got into emergency care a few times and have had 3 long term placements.

We took in both of them last fall with the idea that the older would eventually go to their fathers' house (he recently was discovered to be the father...they didn't know for 3 years) but he had to get somebody who couldn't pass a background check out of his house before that could happen.

3 yr old went to live with her father in January. These people are nitwits. they basically require she sit still and not do anything all day long and are basically livid when she does anything wrong. There is an old lady who lives there too who just shouts, make it stop and covers her ears when the kid crys from being punished. This has all been observed by the caseworker.

2 weeks ago they were evicted because they just stopped paying rent. They refuse any help from the state and are looking for rentals in nice neighborhoods in places they can't afford. They are now living in a hotel.

The mother is still with the father of the 1.5 yr old. The problem there is that they don't do anything. they don't come to visits, they haven't seent heir children/child in 12 weeks. They can't drive so they have to take the bus. DCFS has supplied the bus passes for them but has threatented to take them away if they don't come.

Side note : one thing that irritates the shit out of me is that DCFS bends over backwards to reschedule, and make accomodations for these shitheads. they called one time and were like they would like to move the visit to friday at 11:00 is that ok. i asked for the phone and told the caseworker... no this doesn't work. its a major inconvenience to everyone to reschedule a thing that they haven't came to 6 weeks in a row. its clear they are just trying to be difficult. a light bulb apparently went off wiht the caseworker.

The mother and father of hte 1.5 yr old keep moving and they keep moving into peoples homes who are on sex registries. Its absurd.

We just learned this morning that the father broke up with the mother because DCFS just cut off bus passes.

He has 8 kids with 8 different mothers. All of the mothers have like some sort of disability mentally.

In illinois, once you decide you will begin to terminate rights, it takes over 6 months to make happen. They state is finally deciding that this is the plan to take with the 1.5 yr old.

if the other guy becomes homeless, the state will have to take the 3 yr old back into care too.

the whole other part of this is that the mother has said that the father of the 3 yr old is inappropriate with children, and the father of the 3 yr old says that the mother and father have touched the 3 yr old inappropriately (every visit they HAVE gone to is supervised)

We defiantly need more good people like yourself and your wife in the world.

The wife and I, have chatted about foster care/adoption before. I am not sure I could have a little one come into the house for a small period of time and leave. I think the emotional attachment would be too great for me to handle, so I have said ok to adoption at some point.

Kudos to you guys for having to deal with this and provide a stable environment for young children.

its a thing that you do have to deal with. that said, what our family sat down and agreed to is that we are not doing this for us. we are doing this for these children that otherwise would have nobody to love them for a period of time. And that it will hurt. and will possibly hurt for a long time.

our first placement we had for a year and the parents got them back (rightfully so) and it hit the kids and my wife hard (we got him at 4 weeks) for a time but it fades and you look forward to the next opportunity.

and once you do it once and you realize the life these children COULD have if you weren't there, you are eager to continue regardless the cost.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:42 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Looking back, three were 11 and two were just 10. The next year one of the 10 year olds threw so hard, I didn't have a catcher who could catch him.

Yeah, that shit is just a gift. Me and my kids had very good arms but there's just next level stuff that's frightening. Our kid who got drafted was that way. I'd sit there and go, "where does that power come from?" I'm going to try and catch Vlad Jr in person. He had a throw on Sunday that was unbelievable.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:57 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Yeah, that shit is just a gift. Me and my kids had very good arms but there's just next level stuff that's frightening. Our kid who got drafted was that way. I'd sit there and go, "where does that power come from?" I'm going to try and catch Vlad Jr in person. He had a throw on Sunday that was unbelievable.

My first year in that league our tournament team had five kids who threw 75+, three of whom were were drafted, one 5th overall to Milwaukee and two big for their ages kids who threw 82+ at 12-13 but never improved through HS. It was only funny for awhile watching other kids jump away when they pitched, right up until but I admitted to having a little fear in warming them up, especially if they got silly.

Nothing more dangerous and stupid than a 12 yr. old trying to throw a screwball and hitting on it 1-2 out 5 times.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:16 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

My first year in that league our tournament team had five kids who threw 75+, three of whom were were drafted, one 5th overall to Milwaukee and two big for their ages kids who threw 82+ at 12-13 but never improved through HS. It was only funny for awhile watching other kids jump away when they pitched, right up until but I admitted to having a little fear in warming them up, especially if they got silly.

Nothing more dangerous and stupid than a 12 yr. old trying to throw a screwball and hitting on it 1-2 out 5 times.

Can't stop them from spinning the ball. No matter how hard you try. I mean, you can when they're on the mound, but they're going to do it everywhere else. Warming up, back yard, snowballs. It's baseball's 3 pt shot. They can't help themselves.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:45 pm 

Are you ever walking your dog, and you have a roll of those bags in your pocket, and you somehow grab the middle of it, and it appears like you are doing some magician handkerchief routine while you are trying to find the start of the roll?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Telegram Sam wrote:
Are you ever walking your dog, and you have a roll of those bags in your pocket, and you somehow grab the middle of it, and it appears like you are doing some magician handkerchief routine while you are trying to find the start of the roll?

Sometimes, but honestly prefer that trick to the old pull some dog crap out of a bag with the bottom torn out.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:15 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
I cannot think of one time in the 21st century that I have just shown up at a business without knowing what their hours of operation were, roughly, at least. And yet I have people, young people, not septuagenarians, trundling int my place every time the door is unlocked for deliveries or whatever, seeing that all the chairs and stools are up, all the front lights are off, and yelling "Helloooo!! Are you open?"

Again with this.

We drove here from Algonquin!

I'm sorry, dude. You had myriad opportunities to look up the hours between there and here.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Telegram Sam wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
I cannot think of one time in the 21st century that I have just shown up at a business without knowing what their hours of operation were, roughly, at least. And yet I have people, young people, not septuagenarians, trundling int my place every time the door is unlocked for deliveries or whatever, seeing that all the chairs and stools are up, all the front lights are off, and yelling "Helloooo!! Are you open?"

Again with this.

We drove here from Algonquin!

I'm sorry, dude. You had myriad opportunities to look up the hours between there and here.

I had the same problem when I had my retail store, I would come in 30 minutes early to get set up, and people would either be waiting in the parking lot and try to follow me in, or I would lock the door with the lights off and open sign off, and they would knock on door expecting me to open. After 4 years I figured people either just don't care, or they enjoy wasting their time. Granted we sold items of need, we were not a restaurant, but our hours were always available online and plastered to the front of our building.

The worst though was when people would call from a cell phone looking for directions, like I'm a fucking GPS...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The worst is the calls from people that are like, "Hey I didn't buy this from you, but I have a question about this LED..."

Now I've gotten to the point where I simply say I can answers any questions about our product, but if you didn't buy it from me you should call the place you bought it from. I'll help my customers the best I can, but I'm not Wikipedia for bulbs or electrical equipment.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
That's a bad move, at least fake it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 190  Next