It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Marquee fuck up
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Bababooey wrote:
August Schell wrote:
This is an idea worthy of Bill Wirtz.

You're the dumbest mult here. Frank vibe.

I wish I had that excuse.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Burts place
Caller Bob wrote:
Don't worry, the Marquee Network and all Cub's related content will be re-broadcast in Frank's head.

Plenty of space in that empty head.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
DAC wrote:
The problem with Marquee getting their asking price is that there is absolutely no buzz about the Cubs this winter and there is growing resentment from the hardcore fan over the lack of action this offseason. Marquee is either going to have to lower their asking price or allow the channel to be put on a higher tier and/or sports package. Look no further than the Altitude Network in Denver that air both the Nuggets and Avalanche. Comcast has not agreed with that channel and there looks to be no traction in the negotiations. Now I don’t know what kind of pressure Sinclair can apply so that is a wildcard there but I am pulling for Comcast on this one. Fuck Marquee and the Cubs!

Yup. What’s the value prop for Comcast with Marquee? CSN with all 4 teams could barely fill their lineup with programming that wasn’t shit when they weren’t broadcasting games.

Plus, NFL and NCAAF is the only leagues where people watch regular season games whistle to whistle. The other leagues unfortunately suffer from too much product. Non boomers and boomers who know how to use a computer just catch the highlights

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:39 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
DAC wrote:
The problem with Marquee getting their asking price is that there is absolutely no buzz about the Cubs this winter and there is growing resentment from the hardcore fan over the lack of action this offseason. Marquee is either going to have to lower their asking price or allow the channel to be put on a higher tier and/or sports package. Look no further than the Altitude Network in Denver that air both the Nuggets and Avalanche. Comcast has not agreed with that channel and there looks to be no traction in the negotiations. Now I don’t know what kind of pressure Sinclair can apply so that is a wildcard there but I am pulling for Comcast on this one. Fuck Marquee and the Cubs!

Yup. What’s the value prop for Comcast with Marquee? CSN with all 4 teams could barely fill their lineup with programming that wasn’t shit when they weren’t broadcasting games.

Plus, NFL is the only sports where people watch regular season games whistle to whistle. The other leagues unfortunately suffer from too much product. Non boomers and boomers who know how to use a computer can catch the highlights

Comcast will sign an agreement before the season. It's too easy to switch to another provider. Sports and news all that's keeping them from bleeding more customers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Bababooey wrote:
Comcast will sign an agreement before the season. It's too easy to switch to another provider. Sports and news all that's keeping them from bleeding more customers.

The problem is that they may feel they would lose more subscribers who have zero interest in the Cubs and are pissed they are being forced to pay higher fees, compared to the number of Cubs fans who would be upset if the Cubs were not available.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Bababooey wrote:

The problem is that they may feel they would lose more subscribers who have zero interest in the Cubs and are pissed they are being forced to pay higher fees, compared to the number of Cubs fans who would be upset if the Cubs were not available.

This is the crux of the issue. Who does Comcast want to upset? Cubs fans or non-sports fans?

I forget the exact the statistic but it was something like less than 10% of the Comcast viewers in the Denver area watched more than 1 game per week on the RSN. They easily defended not adding the channel. (Yes, I have been following the story on The Athletic.).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:03 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Bababooey wrote:

People who are tired of paying Comcast for cable are gone already. Live sports are keeping the corpse of cable/satellite alive. It's easy to switch providers today. Don't compare the Nuggets or Rockies to the Cubs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:05 pm 

That isn’t true...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:07 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Kirkwood wrote:
That isn’t true...

Yeah it is.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:08 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
That isn’t true...

Go to bed. You're drunk.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:34 pm 

If your statement was accurate you wouldn’t see carriage disputes with sports networks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
It's hilarious watching the Cubs repeat the mistake Jerry and Eddie made with SportsVision back in 1982.

You would think lessons would have been learned from that debacle, but not with the Ricketts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:17 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
This is why the other part of Sinclair's strategy was to buy WGN. Comcast would have fallen in place immediately because the threat of Sinclair pulling WGN would have sent enough viewers into a tizzy.

Nobody dreamed that a Trump administration FCC head would have rejected the deal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:59 am 

Bababooey wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Bababooey wrote:

People who are tired of paying Comcast for cable are gone already. Live sports are keeping the corpse of cable/satellite alive. It's easy to switch providers today. Don't compare the Nuggets or Rockies to the Cubs.
The problem is that we are talking about really low numbers of big fans that will care with the Cubs. The Cubs games get an average viewership in Chicago of like 130,000 people. That number is probably inflated because half of their games were on ABC/WGN. You are losing viewers moving to any cable system over network television.

So there are 100,000 people on average in Chicago that will be mad enough to switch. They aren't all Comcast customers now. Others will stream it illegally.

Comcast can wait until the Cubs come to them begging for them to be on their service. This isn't the Big Ten Network with 10x as many potential subscriber losses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
It will be easy for me to switch. i just drop Hulu live and go to At&t’s similar streaming service. Pricing seems comparable although At&t seems to have a few more channels.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:37 am 

denisdman wrote:
It will be easy for me to switch. i just drop Hulu live and go to At&t’s similar streaming service. Pricing seems comparable although At&t seems to have a few more channels.

A man of your means has Hulu tv?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
It's hilarious watching the Cubs repeat the mistake Jerry and Eddie made with SportsVision back in 1982.

You would think lessons would have been learned from that debacle, but not with the Ricketts.

So, can I see the games if I hook up my old ONTV decoder box?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I’m out in LA area this week. Just remind you how the dodgers fucked up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Bababooey wrote:
August Schell wrote:

It's always special when a dumb mult tries to insult a different dumb mult.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Bababooey wrote:
August Schell wrote:

It's always special when a dumb mult tries to insult a different dumb mult.

It's even better when it's not a mult.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

A man of your means has Hulu tv?

I finally dropped DTV after numerous signal problems especially with CNBC. It’s been a godsend quite honestly. The mobile technology of Hulu live is way ahead of DTV.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
good dolphin wrote:
The cubs are going to lose the casual fan which was the lifeblood of the backwards hat wearing brah era

Actually its the exact opposite. One of the benefits of the new network is that they will be able to deliver much more targeted content via streaming, apps, etc. and that will translate more to the casual fan than the current CSN offerings.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
The cubs are going to lose the casual fan which was the lifeblood of the backwards hat wearing brah era

Actually its the exact opposite. One of the benefits of the new network is that they will be able to deliver much more targeted content via streaming, apps, etc. and that will translate more to the casual fan than the current CSN offerings.

That could be right. And potentially more ad revenue due to a more focused demo?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

That could be right. And potentially more ad revenue due to a more focused demo?

I thought that was what Crane has been pimping for a bit now. Multiple channels of revenue. Being able to reach out to younger generations and engage. Now, I'm not saying its going to work but again, its better than what CSN offered.