It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Astronomical events!
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Spaulding wrote:
Darkside wrote:
I don't get why someone wouldn't get up to see a solar eclipse on Jupiter.

They don't know or care at 3am is my guess. It's nice that she does.

Good for your parents too.

Yeah putting up with a hyperactive precocious child probably aged them badly. My sister however was the well behaved one. Until we were in our 30s. Then she lost her mind and I found mine.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Darkside wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Does she get up with up you to look at this stuff?

We'll see tonight but she was out with me earlier to get some moon shots.

That's hot.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:22 am 

Just had a good night with the new scope. Views weren't as crisp as I would have liked due to hazy skies and some moon glare (not to mention my neighbors new flood light but next weekend weather permitting we'll take photographs at a dark sky park nearby) Here's tonight's targets...
M57, the ring nebula. Mostly a white ring shaped haze tonight, but next week I'll use an oxygen III filter to really bring out the colors.
M81, Bode's galaxy. Distinct spiral galaxy shape, again moon glow and haze interferred a bit.
Jupiter. Tonight we got a chance to see Calisto's shadow cross Jupiter, and Ganymede disappear behind Jupiter. I missed Io because I was using 333x magnification (probably not a good choice, should have gone much lower) and the field of view was too small. Nevertheless, it was an impressive show and I enjoyed it. Everything was a bit on the fuzzy side due to the haze and jupiter was pretty low on the horizon. There was noticeable air currents, not a great view overall but still fun.
Saturn. Because why not? Saturn will always be my favorite object to view. The north face of the rings are about two yeara or so past maximum tilt, but still around 20 degrees, so a real nice view as always. Our closest approach will be 7/20 so that's my target week for best, brightest and biggest views. Incidently Jupiter reaches opposition (closest approach) only a week prior. Should be a fun week if the skies cooperate. (Mars opposition is coming up too, Oct 13)
Luna. Because why the hell not? It's familiar and kind of boring to most until you dial it in and really take her in with high magnification. As mentioned above, caught a nice illuminated crater rim which gave an illusion of a thin ribbon of light floating beyond the terminator.
Here's a fun terminator fact for you. The terminator is the point at which the sun is setting, or the line of darkness that crosses the moon (or earth) as it rotates. On earth, if you were in a supersonic aircraft traveling at just over 1000 mph, its possible to make the sun set in the east or rise in the west.
All in all a good night!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:22 am 

Oh, and Spaulding, she didn't get up.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:57 pm 

Meteor Shower alert!

May 5th and 6th, the earth will pass through a debris field left behind by Halley's Comet. These are called the eta Aquarid shower.

Normally we'd see up to 40 per hour, but unfortunately we'll be experiencing a very bright full moon. In fact its yet another supermoon. It will probably wash out 2/3rds of the meteors leaving on the brighteat behind.

But if you get up early and look towards Aquarius in the east before dawn, you'll probably catch a few.

The debris field is big enough that there will likely be some strays on the days before and after the peak.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:15 pm 

Comet Swan update!

A sudden brightening seems like maybe the nucleus broke up, or possibly fragmented.... or maybe its just volatile and is holding together. Either way, this is kind of exciting.

For now its a southern hemisphere event. But ill keep posting pictures.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:33 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Meteor Shower alert!

May 5th and 6th, the earth will pass through a debris field left behind by Halley's Comet. These are called the eta Aquarid shower.

Normally we'd see up to 40 per hour, but unfortunately we'll be experiencing a very bright full moon. In fact its yet another supermoon. It will probably wash out 2/3rds of the meteors leaving on the brighteat behind.

But if you get up early and look towards Aquarius in the east before dawn, you'll probably catch a few.

The debris field is big enough that there will likely be some strays on the days before and after the peak.

Shows over folks. Reports are that we're exiting the stream of debris. Cloud cover killed this one for me. Hope yall maybe caught a few.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Is the above from your telescope? That is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:55 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:
Is the above from your telescope? That is amazing.

No, no. That comet is only visible from the southern hemisphere.
My wife's camera equipment is here however, so we will be taking pictures with the telescope very shortly and will post results probably by this weekend, weather permitting.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

The design of the telescopes today is pretty amazing. Being able to fit a scope with large lenses into a small car due to the collapsible design is really cool. When I built my house I looked into it as a hobby but the learning curve seemed way too steep. Could a 12" Dobsonian capture an image like the above?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:11 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:
The design of the telescopes today is pretty amazing. Being able to fit a scope with large lenses into a small car due to the collapsible design is really cool. When I built my house I looked into it as a hobby but the learning curve seemed way too steep. Could a 12" Dobsonian capture an image like the above?

On a dobsonaian? Absolutely no. A 12" yes. You need a tracking scope, and time exposure.
I have an 8 inch dobsonian. Problem is tracking. You fix on something small in the sky and the rotation of the earth moves it so quickly that it escapes the field of view in a second or so. Its good for viewing the moon or solar system objects for sure. But for ease and photography I'd say you need something that tracks.
If deep sky objects are your target, 8 inch is a good start. More light collection (inches of aperture) always better.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:12 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:

For the price of a 12 inch dob you could probably buy a 6 or 8 inch cassegrain with tracking.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:24 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:

On another note I do have an 8in dob and an 8 in cassegrain so if you want to try them out come on by some night when I'm not working and you can contrast and compare.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:48 pm 

Late tonight, or more accurately early tomorrow morning, Jupiter will be only 2 degrees away from a waning moon, and Saturn will be only 5 degrees away. A neat little conjunction for your early risers.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:56 pm 

Comet Swan is heading toward northern hemisphere visibity!
It will be just above Aries in the pre-dawn eastern sky by end of week.
I'm not sure why I'm mentioning really, its gonna be super hard to find. And its fading.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:

On another note I do have an 8in dob and an 8 in cassegrain so if you want to try them out come on by some night when I'm not working and you can contrast and compare.

Thanks for the offer! When I was looking to get into it I was thinking it would be something for me and the kids to do. One is off to college and the other is close so not much point now as I already have too many hobbies. Its a great hobby though. Maybe when you post more of your observations you can mention the equipment you're using.

Mom has a ranch in Mammoth so we go out there for a couple weeks in July. The elevation is over a mile so the view is amazing. I thought about maybe getting something and having it shipped out there. If I have any questions on what to get I know who to go to.

Also I was watching something with my kid and that Heaven's Gate cult was mentioned so I was telling him about Halle-Bopp. Is there anything like that expected to come around soon (astronomically speaking)?

We also watched The Farthest a few months ago...great doc.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:35 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:
Darkside wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:

Thanks for the offer! When I was looking to get into it I was thinking it would be something for me and the kids to do. One is off to college and the other is close so not much point now as I already have too many hobbies. Its a great hobby though. Maybe when you post more of your observations you can mention the equipment you're using.

Mom has a ranch in Mammoth so we go out there for a couple weeks in July. The elevation is over a mile so the view is amazing. I thought about maybe getting something and having it shipped out there. If I have any questions on what to get I know who to go to.

Also I was watching something with my kid and that Heaven's Gate cult was mentioned so I was telling him about Halle-Bopp. Is there anything like that expected to come around soon (astronomically speaking)?

We also watched The Farthest a few months ago...great doc.

Well there's a comet coming into view in the northern hemisphere right now. Comet Swan. It's rising in the east just before dawn so you only have an hour or so to spot it before dawn washes it out. You might be able to spot it with binnocars but a scope would bring out the greenish tail.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
MongoMuller wrote:

Also I was watching something with my kid and that Heaven's Gate cult was mentioned so I was telling him about Halle-Bopp.

That was amazing. Was at the Grand Canyon and you could see the tail with your unaided eyes.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
tommy wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:

Also I was watching something with my kid and that Heaven's Gate cult was mentioned so I was telling him about Halle-Bopp.

That was amazing. Was at the Grand Canyon and you could see the tail with your unaided eyes.

Drove overnight from Bozeman to denver when thst happened. It was amazingly clear.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:41 am 

This one is worth marking your calandars for.
On December 21, 2020, Jupiter and Saturn will be within 0 degrees 0.6 minutes of each other.
Thats the closest since 1961. Binoculars or a small scope will really show off this rare conjunction.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:13 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
tommy wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:

Drove overnight from Bozeman to denver when thst happened. It was amazingly clear.

Something I won't forget.

Darkside wrote:
Well there's a comet coming into view in the northern hemisphere right now. Comet Swan. It's rising in the east just before dawn so you only have an hour or so to spot it before dawn washes it out. You might be able to spot it with binnocars but a scope would bring out the greenish tail.

I'd drive out to see this, but these damn clouds....

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:14 am 

Darkside wrote:
This one is worth marking your calandars for.
On December 21, 2020, Jupiter and Saturn will be within 0 degrees 0.6 minutes of each other.
Thats the closest since 1961. Binoculars or a small scope will really show off this rare conjunction.

On the calendar. Stuff like this is a great excuse to spend time with my kids and to get them off their phones.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:08 pm 

Venus made an inferior conjunction today.
That's when its between us and the sun.
So if you can get a view just before if goes in front of the sun, you might spot it being completely black with sunlight filtering thru its entire atmosphere causing it to appear as a ring.
An amateur got a shot of it this time around...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:34 pm 

A moon-dimming eclipses coming on the Fourth of July.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
Heard on the radio that tonight was a strawberry moon. Happened to be out in the sticks tonight so not sure if it unusually bright but it is blinding where I am at. I guess we are about the only continent that doesn’t get the lunar eclipse which is unfortunate because an eclipse of this moon would be amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
The Man wrote:
Heard on the radio that tonight was a strawberry moon. Happened to be out in the sticks tonight so not sure if it unusually bright but it is blinding where I am at. I guess we are about the only continent that doesn’t get the lunar eclipse which is unfortunate because an eclipse of this moon would be amazing.

Sorry you are revved up like a deuce.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
newper wrote:
The Man wrote:

Sorry you are revved up like a deuce.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:01 pm 

Here we go again, Darko. Yeah I know. But maybe, maybe... this is the one.
Comet NEOWISE (C/2020 F3) could be a naked eye comet for the northern hemisphere.
By mid July, assuming it survives perihelion on July 3rd, we'll have a show.
Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:37 pm 

Comet NEOWISE looking to survive a close encounter with the sun.
This could be big.
Give me a couple weeks. This could be a big deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:40 pm 

Comet NEOWISE is only a week and a day to its closest approach to the sun, and its holding together and getting much brighter. Its tripled in brightness in the last few days.
If it holds together, and all indicators thus far are that it will... when it emerges from the glare of the sun it could be as bright as a first magnitude star, somewhere between Aldeberan and Deneb but much larger than a single point in the sky.

I'll provide updates as I can. Been working a ton of hours this last 5 weeks but I'm gonna follow this as best I can. With a bit of luck my wife's camera setup on the scope should give some nice photos so I'll post up our Instagram if we get some good shots.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next