It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I try not to let slow play affect me, and walking definitely helps mitigate the slow play a little bit. By the time the 14th hole rolled around, I was really getting tired of waiting for every single shot. I know my group was a threesome following a foursome, but the group two ahead of us (directly in front of the slowpokes) were at least two shots ahead. By the time that group (also a foursome) walked off the 18th green, we were just teeing off on 17, which is a par 5.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
We followed a foursome of walkers who were painfully slow, and just terrible. Three of the four had to be over 100. As a threesome it took us almost 4.5 hours to play.

Let's see how fast you walk at 100 years old.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

Wheeeee!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Had an unusual 45-36 for an 81 on Sunday. Been a while since I did anything like that. Looking to get out Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Today was my first time on the driving range in four or five years. It felt great, even if all I did was hit 40 7-iron pitches off of the mat. Not much backswing, I just concentrated on keeping the grip, hitting square, and accellerating thru the follow through. I was hitting a little thin with no divoting but getting 85-105 for a nice easy low speed swing, into a mild breeze. The range was pretty empty when I got there at 1230, but was filling up by 115 when I left.

I'm going to try going again on Thursday if the storm misses us, and hit a mix of 5 and 8 iron, 25 each. If i can hit my 5 iron consistently in the 130 range for a few visits, I will feel comfortable trying to play 9 holes even if I have to drop at the 250 marker.

I had bought David Ledbetter's book The A Swing a few years ago on sale when my B&N branch didn't renew its lease. I am starting to sit down with it each night for 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Took my son to the driving range in Grayslake on Sunday.....glorious.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:16 am 

Another bizarre round. 42-34. I yanked a ball OB on #5 and took a double and missed a two foot putt on #9 . Then I started hitting greens. So close to putting it together. I’ll play tomorrow and then the weekend. New putter really starting to heat up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Nice round at Glencoe yesterday afternoon. Course was in great shape. Pace of play wasn't great only because of the two guys we got paired with who were super slow and had terrible ready golf instincts. But, even with that we still outpaced the group behind us by 4 holes when it was all done which tells you how brutally slow those people must've been. Felt bad for anyone stuck on the course behind them.

Continued to be great off the tee for the most part. Hit 9/15 fairways with all balls that werte either dead straight or had a nice 5 yard baby draw on them. Love seeing that ball flight. Noticed on my scorecard that I didn't par a single hole where I missed the fairway off the tee. Makes it pretty obvious where my weaknesses in my game are. Just not strong enough to muscle the ball out of the rough with my all arms swing.

Shot a 45 on the front after finishing with a double and triple. Did much better on the back playing the final 7 holes at 1 over to finish with a 39 for a total of 84. Nice finish with a birdie on 17 after hitting a 6 iron to 3 feet and then par on 18 with a 25 foot downhill putt.

Back felt good even after playing hockey the night before. Pretty sore today though.

Next up is Shepherds Crook Sunday morning.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:59 pm 

Really want to hear about Shepherds as I’ve not been this year. Played a bit more consistent today and carded a 75 only to get beat with a 73 from a 65 year old guy. I played from 7000 yards and he from about 6000 but still a great round by him. I play with older guys but they can all break par on any given day so it can get interesting. Today was round 25 this year, really racking them up with a little more work flexibility during the week.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I'm getting a lesson from my guy next week. I can't hit an iron to save my life. He's an IPGA pro who I normally play golf with every couple weeks so he "fixes" me when we play if he sees something. Haven't been able to do that this year for various reasons. He knows my swing though and hopefully sees something easy. I'd like to think I suddenly don't suck at the game.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:20 pm 

Played Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Shot 87 all three rounds. I officially need help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:32 am 
100000 CLUB

I really played poorly on Saturday. 9 hole executive course with all par 3's except for two short par 4s and I shot a 38. Lost two balls, only one GIR and three 3-putts including the GIR. Very frustrating. Only one par, and that was a chip in from about 60' after a chunked iron off the tee and a bladed pitch shot. I had a few beers during the round which definitely affected the last couple three holes, but had nothing to do with bad shots early on.

Absolutely gorgeous weather. The course was jam packed, and two groups ahead of us was a fivesome. Two couples and another guy that were painfully slow. By the time the 4th hole went around and we were an hour and fifteen minutes into the round, I called the clubhouse to get the ranger out there. He did his job and the final 5 holes was played at a much better pace. I hate being the guy to call for a ranger, but at 4:00 on a busy Saturday afternoon you just can't play as a fivesome unless everybody is playing speed golf. That definitely was not the case here.

Might take next week off or just hit up a range to work on my swing and awful short game. Hope to get out Father's Day weekend maybe twice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:40 am 

Franky T wrote:
Played Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Shot 87 all three rounds. I officially need help.

Nice, a triplicate!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:42 am 
100000 CLUB

I don't know what you generally shoot Franky, but I would love three rounds in a row under 90 at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
T-Bone wrote:
Really want to hear about Shepherds as I’ve not been this year. Played a bit more consistent today and carded a 75 only to get beat with a 73 from a 65 year old guy. I played from 7000 yards and he from about 6000 but still a great round by him. I play with older guys but they can all break par on any given day so it can get interesting. Today was round 25 this year, really racking them up with a little more work flexibility during the week.

Shpherd's was in great shape. Greens were slow though, probably the slowest I've ever seen out there. Still rolled great and weren't actually slow, just slow by SC standards. to make up for that the fairway was hard and had great roll out. I played really well, shot a 83 from the black tees. I would usually play the gold tees out there, but didn't realize I was at the wrong box till I got to the first par 3 and saw I was 220 out into the wind. But, sucked it up and stayed at the blacks. Had to play a lot of hybrid hero from those tees once I got to my second shot, but with all the roll out coupled with some great ball striking I was able to hit some of my best hybrids in years. Missed a hole in one on #8 by an inch or two with a perfect 5 iron. Missed the birdie putt of course.

Wind picked up on the back and I started to feel the effects of the tee box, got myself on the bogey train with 6 straight until I parred 18 with a nice D-hybrid-52 and then missed the birdie.

Pace of play was 4:20. We had a group of slow ahead of us, Asians who were playing from the tips of course. Without them we probably would've been around 4:05.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:33 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I don't know what you generally shoot Franky, but I would love three rounds in a row under 90 at this point.

My handicap index usually ranges from 7-10. I'm at a 11.5 and trending up. If I'm playing well I am in the upper 70s, playing average usually between 80-85. Problem is my high scores (over 85) are now the norm and not simply a "bad round".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:08 pm 

Played this morning for the first time in quite awhile. Just reaffirmed my belief that I should only play par 3 courses. Driving and putting was decent....anything in between was terrible.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:12 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Played this morning for the first time in quite awhile. Just reaffirmed my belief that I should only play par 3 courses. Driving and putting was decent....anything in between was terrible.

How many drivers do you hit on a par 3 course? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:20 pm 

Franky T wrote:
RFDC wrote:

:lol: yeah I guess I worded that poorly.

In general on the day my driving was decent. But I played the par 3s pretty well and that always seems to be pretty normal for me. I can generally hit my irons pretty well from the tee.

I need to invest in some hybrids. If I have to hit a fairway wood I am generally in a lot of trouble. I would probably do better just hitting and 4 and 5 iron all day.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:31 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Franky T wrote:
RFDC wrote:

:lol: yeah I guess I worded that poorly.

In general on the day my driving was decent. But I played the par 3s pretty well and that always seems to be pretty normal for me. I can generally hit my irons pretty well from the tee.

I need to invest in some hybrids. If I have to hit a fairway wood I am generally in a lot of trouble. I would probably do better just hitting and 4 and 5 iron all day.

You should. Hybrids are great.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
BigW72 wrote:

Did you go to Renwood? I didn't think the range was open yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
doug - evergreen park wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Did you go to Renwood? I didn't think the range was open yet.

Grayslake Golf Practice Center....it's on Rt. 45 just south of 120.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:26 pm 

Starting to come together a bit. 38-36 this morning with three 3 putts on the front nine :lol: this new Taylor Made driver has been the MVP of my season. Worth every penny even though it was painful to pull the trigger last fall. Beautiful weather this weekend even if a little cool. Playing with an old friend Sunday which should be fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Playing Saturday at Maple Meadows w/donspiracy.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:45 am 

Teed off by 5:30 at the short course in town and got around in less than two hours. I’m going to do that more often. Only 6000 yds but the greens are extremely difficult. Took a triple and three 3 putts but also three birds so overall I was pretty happy with the outcome. Very hilly course so it’s a bit of a workout to walk. Home by 8 am

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I have a tee time for this coming Wednesday at a college course about 45 minutes south of me. They just played the Carolina Amateur there last weekend, it looks to be a nice layout.

I still haven't hit driver at the range yet, although I'm planning to go on Monday. My cousin hasn't played yet this season either due to COVID, so we might just play off of the 5600 yard senior gray tees (65/107) and leave the drivers in the bags much of the time.

One week shy of 10 years, but I'm looking forward to it.
If I can break 117 from the grays I will consider it a massive accomplishment!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:44 am 

Good luck Chet!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

Shot a 97 with a few big numbers, did not hit a single Fairway with the driver, but from hole 7 through 15 I was only +3 with a double bogey in that mix :lol: . Wildly inconsistent to say the least. But was fun to get out with my dad and uncle to start Father's Day weekend. Played Silver Lake north and it was in just fabulous shape.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:19 am 

Played my first round this year with flags, rakes and water jugs on the course. This place clearly gave no F's. Shot 84 with 2 tops, a chunk and a missed 2 footer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:23 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Played the Woodlands Course on Wednesday and Friday at Whittaker Golf Club in New Buffalo Michigan. It is not a forgiving course. Fairway hazards all over the place. Lost 5 balls on Wednesday and lost 9 balls on Friday. I stopped playing after teeing off on 14 Friday. My right arm felt like I had pitched 9 innings. Shot a 55,50 and then a 53 for the front 9 on Friday.

My wife bought me a new driver and 6 - Gap for my birthday. The driver arrived Friday. The irons come today. Have yet to hit with them.

But, the driver is nice!
https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/golf-drivers/ts2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next