It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cancellation updates
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:49 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
As a left-hander, I'd like to cancel the word "sinister" as the root comes from the Latin for "left" which implied you were evil.

There are a number of other words denigrating left-handers as well...and I apologize for using the word "denigrate" which probably means I am cancelled as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
As a left-hander, I'd like to cancel the word "sinister" as the root comes from the Latin for "left" which implied you were evil.

There are a number of other words denigrating left-handers as well...and I apologize for using the word "denigrate" which probably means I am cancelled as well.

The people with hearing problems and those living in arid regions are troubled by your CFMB screen name.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:07 pm 

reminds me of the time 10-20 years ago when a city manager manager correctly used the word niggardly when describing the council voting against funding something but was fired even though the word has no etymology in a similar word and isn't even from a romance language

we are becoming less smrt

The basis is in relativism.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Not only that, but the root of dexterity is "right." Lefties can't be dexterous!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Didn't know Ryan Adams was canceled until he popped up on twitter yesterday trying to uncancel himself. "himpathy" tour, someone called it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
DeSean Jackson...

https://www.mcall.com/sports/eagles/mc- ... story.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Hussra wrote:
Didn't know Ryan Adams was canceled until he popped up on twitter yesterday trying to uncancel himself. "himpathy" tour, someone called it.

Yeah, Phoebe Bridgers wrote a song about it and everything. I'm surprised everything stuck on him the way it did; the line on Ryan Adams has always been that he's an overly horny shithead. Probably shouldn't have allegedly sexted a teenager.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:28 am 

the sexting with a 15 year old isn't something he can blow off as "they were dating a (sorta) rock star, what did they expect?" behavior

Probably kills dude not to be able to post to his social media accounts without getting shouted down. Recall Adams posting to mailing lists and message boards back in his Whiskeytown/early Bloodshot days.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Social media fucking sucks. Its gay as hell.

Nobody has gotten in trouble for what they say on message boards. He's got plenty of outlets.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
TikTok (maybe) CANCELLED!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Ryan Adams is one of those names I've heard for years but I literally don't know anything about him except he's some kind of musician.

Anyway, glad he's cancelled. Important work.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
KDdidit wrote:
TikTok (maybe) CANCELLED!!!

Its basically Chinese spyware. I cant believe they let it onto the American market to begin with since we already ban Huawei.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:46 am 

This is all because Kellyanne Conway's daughter made videos about how Trump is bad, then gen-Xers went on Twitter and wrote "the teens are going to be the ones who save us all," and then masturbated to her.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:55 am 

I guess DeSean Jackson was busy literally quoting Hitler yesterday.

The passage reads:

“Hitler said, ‘because the white Jews knows [sic] that the Negros are the real Children of Israel and to keep Americas secret the Jews will black mail America.

‘The will extort America, their pan to world domination won’t work if the Negroes know who they were.

‘The white citizens of America will be terrified to know that all this time they’ve been mistreating and discriminating and lynching Children of Israel.’”

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:56 am 

Always tempted by those sub $400 Poco Xiaomi etc Chiner made cell phones that have flagship specs at ridiculously low prices. Even tho their quality has gone to shirt since the various ownership transfers, best to stick to Nokia's or Motorola's reasonably priced, stock Android devices.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
conns7901 wrote:

The passage reads:

“Hitler said, ‘because the white Jews knows [sic] that the Negros are the real Children of Israel and to keep Americas secret the Jews will black mail America.

‘The will extort America, their pan to world domination won’t work if the Negroes know who they were.

‘The white citizens of America will be terrified to know that all this time they’ve been mistreating and discriminating and lynching Children of Israel.’”

Cross "Quote Hitler" off the list of things brothers don't do.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
This is all because Kellyanne Conway's daughter made videos about how Trump is bad, then gen-Xers went on Twitter and wrote "the teens are going to be the ones who save us all," and then masturbated to her.

Speaking of Tik-Tok, one of my former students has some video with 24 million views that was on Buzzfeed this past week. I don't get it but I am also old now.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:10 am 

conns7901 wrote:

The passage reads:

"regardless of intentions" gtfo. He's lucky we're in short-attention-span-theater America and stopped caring about newly rampant antisemitism two months ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Looking forward to hearing Hatikvah before kickoff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Curious Hair wrote:

Shots fired at GoldenJet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:16 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

"regardless of intentions" gtfo. He's lucky we're in short-attention-span-theater America and stopped caring about newly rampant antisemitism two months ago.

Yeah I'm not sure this one makes Deadspin.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Franky T wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Shots fired at GoldenJet.

I did not jack off to her.

As far as you know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Ha, some want Disney+ to remove Hamilton because Hamilton.... if woke culture can actually kill a beloved woke cultural musical then woke culture=skynet and we're all screwed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
billypootons wrote:
Ha, some want Disney+ to remove Hamilton because Hamilton.... if woke culture can actually kill a beloved woke cultural musical then woke culture=skynet and we're all screwed.

It should be cancelled because of the minorities playing white men.

Historical appropriation is not ok!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
https://slapthesign.com/2020/07/06/thou ... -nickname/

Quote:
Is it time to reconsider Notre Dame’s Fighting Irish nickname?

The University of Notre Dame has long been known as the Fighting Irish, but is it time to re-examine that particular nickname?

Dan Snyder has been on the record as saying he would never change the nickname of the Washington football team. This is true, despite years of pressure to do so. That’s because the nickname of the Washington team is the Redskins, a term long considered a generalized slur against Native Americans, regardless of tribe.

Last week, as financial pressure mounted, Snyder’s stance changed. The nickname is now under review.

Say what you will about why Snyder is changing his stance. The fact is that he is no longer hiding behind words like “tradition” and “history” to justify keeping a racist name in place. Frankly, justifying a racist nickname in 2020, because the nickname has always been racist and change upsets your disposition, is a flimsy argument.

We are seeing this across the United States, from the Confederate Flag being removed from NASCAR to statues of figures like Christopher Columbus being toppled. It’s not about erasing history, just not memorializing immoral history any longer.

So, when I say this, know that I’m not suggesting erasing all history of the Notre Dame nickname. In fact, historically, being called the “Fighting Irish” has helped Notre Dame a lot. It helped them build a national following, especially in cities with a lot of Irish Americans. In fact, my home town, which has its roots with Notre Dame, has a disproportionate amount of Notre Dame fans because of the nickname. It’s even helped establish an International following.

The nickname “Fighting Irish” has given Notre Dame a strong, cultural identity. We are Catholic, often proudly immigrant (with men like Knute Rockne carrying the torch), and you’re in for a fight when you play us. None of that is inherently bad for a small, Catholic, Midwestern university.

The term came from sportswriters, who who would use it to describe the manner in which Notre Dame played. Preferable to other terms used for the team, like Vagabonds, Dirty Irish, and Papists. Others, claim it came from an Irish brigade during the Civil War, and Notre Dame merely adopted it. Notre Dame’s third president, Rev. William Corby, C.S.C., was in that brigade. Yet another origin is said to come from a halftime speech in 1909, when a player called out the Irish players on the team, saying, ““What’s the matter with you guys? You’re all Irish and you’re not fighting worth a lick.”

Unequivocally, the origins of the nickname stem from a desire to differentiate Notre Dame for its Catholicism. It is a negative portrayal of Catholics and immigrants. It is a stereotype of the violent Irish. It’s just been spun into a positive over time.

Now, in all of this, it would be easy to see the nickname “Fighting Irish” as offensive. However, many people don’t find it offensive at all. In fact, they have embraced the nickname. As for myself, it didn’t bother me growing up, despite being Catholic and of Irish descent. Being the “Fighting Irish” wasn’t why I rooted for Notre Dame, though many of my friends growing up did for this reason.

However, over time, my personal feelings on that have changed.

When the Irish came to America, they were second class citizens. In my hometown, so closely associated with Ireland that its original name was “Ireland Parrish,” there were signs in windows that stated “No Irish. No dogs.” My ancestors dug the canals and built the dam that powered Holyoke, Massachusetts into the industrial revolution. As for the jobs, “Help wanted: No Irish need apply.”

This, their welcome to a nation with streets paved with gold, as they fled the genocide of Black 47. As they left an island stolen from them, a language eradicated, a culture razed they came to the United States and weren’t trusted for their religion. This, in a land built on the basis of freedom of religion. They came to the United States on coffin ships. They lived in slums. This, to build the United States up for someone else.

So, yes, it bothers me that the term “Fighting Irish” is used for a nickname. It bothers me that its origins are based on stereotypes, and trying to make the Catholic team seem lesser than their opponents. It bothers me that their mascot and logo are a leprechaun with his fists up like he’s John L. Sullivan.

I’ll continue to simply refer to them as “The Irish.” This embraces the cultural ties to Irish Americans, without using an outdated stereotype. The superimposed ND is a good logo. We don’t need a fighting leprechaun.

Change is good, especially when it moves beyond stereotypes. Embrace it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:54 pm 

conns7901 wrote:

The passage reads:

Ogie feels internal conflict

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Quote:
I just want to first off extend an apology on behalf of me and what I stand for because ... I never want to put any race down or any people down," Jackson said in the accompanying video. "My post was definitely not intended for anybody of any race to feel any type of way, especially the Jewish community. What I posted, I definitely didn't mean it to the extent that you guys took it, and I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm, you know, very apologetic, and I just want you guys to understand that it never was intended ... to put any race down or any religion down.

"... I just probably should have never posted anything that Hitler did, because Hitler was a bad person, and I know that. I was just trying to uplift African Americans and slavery and just enlighten my people. ... I didn't intend any harm or any hatred toward any people. ... I'm for love and I extend it every day."

The guy is clearly just an genius.

"I want to apologize for what I stand for by saying you took it the wrong way I guess Hitler was bad but I just wanted to quote his hatred of Jews to uplift black people."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Curious Hair wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

The passage reads:

Anyone remember Riley Cooper? Wonder if the same will happen to Jackson?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I don't think he'll be cut. The apology will suffice and like JLN said, everybody basically just thinks he's a moron, not really hateful.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:09 pm 

The soft bigotry of low expectations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 51  Next