It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cancellation updates
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
catholics need beliefs and actions for salvation
I think the early protestants think beliefs alone give salvation

Every Christian believes that the only way to heaven is to accept Jesus as one's personal savior. John 3:16, brother. I don't know what the Jesuits are teaching, but it sure ain't in the Bible.

This immediately distinguishes the Catholic understanding of salvation from the theology (though not the practice) of our Protestant brothers and sisters. Catholic and classic Protestant theology agree on this: We are saved by grace. There is no salvation, there is no act of love toward God or neighbor, which is not inspired and supported entirely by God himself. But Protestantism diverges from Catholic understanding when it concludes that we are therefore also saved by “faith alone.” Catholics don’t believe that faith alone saves us, for they do not believe that an unincarnate faith can save.

We are not simply patients anesthetized on a table while the divine surgeon operates. Rather we are called to be involved in our salvation as well — by grace. That is why St. Paul makes plain that faith alone — unincarnate, non-active, non-transforming faith — is not enough when he writes, “if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing.” (1 Corinthians 13:2) And this is repeated by both Sts. Paul and James. Both insist that faith is, like our Lord himself, inherently incarnational. It must be enfleshed, just as the Word was made flesh. It must act, just as God acts, or it is “dead,” as St. James says. (James 2:17)

https://www.nwcatholic.org/spirituality ... ation.html

To simplify it, "Your sins are forgiven. Now go and sin no more."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Quote:
Republicans were once despised because they were anti-intellectuals and hopeless neurotics. Trained to disbelieve in peaceful coexistence with the liberal enemy, the average Rush Limbaugh fan couldn’t make it through a dinner without interrogating you about your political inclinations.

If you tried to laugh it off, that didn’t work; if you tried to engage, what came back was a list of talking points. When all else failed and you offered what you thought would be an olive branch of blunt truth, i.e. “Honestly, I just don’t give that much of a shit,” that was the worst insult of all, because they thought you were being condescending. (You were, but that’s beside the point). The defining quality of this personality was the inability to let things go. Families broke apart over these situations. It was a serious and tragic thing.

Now that same inconsolable paranoiac comes at you with left politics, and isn’t content with ruining the odd holiday dinner, blind date, or shared cab. He or she does this infuriating interrogating at the office, in school, and in government agencies, in places where you can’t fake a headache and quietly leave the table.

This is all taking place at a time when the only organized opposition to such thinking also supports federal troops rounding up protesters for open-ended detention, going maskless to own the libs, and other equivalent madnesses. If you’re not a Trump fan and can’t reason with the other thing either, what’s left?

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-left-is-now-the-right

It's funny because if you search Matt Taibbi on Twitter right now, it's just a lot of blue check marks calling him a right winger and a fascist and proving his point in the process.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:20 pm 

My baseball game tonight at a chicago park was cancelled because of yesterday's rain even though we were able to play yesterday on a field at New Trier. Your eyes open up the differences in the quality of the park districts of even modest cities when you travel around to these places.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:28 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
My baseball game tonight at a chicago park was cancelled because of yesterday's rain even though we were able to play yesterday on a field at New Trier. Your eyes open up the differences in the quality of the park districts of even modest cities when you travel around to these places.

I'll never forget getting to the park at 7a on a Saturday to turn over the fields and dumping diamond dry to get early tball and minor league games while others were working on the major league fields.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Historically there were a number of black leaders that were in fact Marxist. Martin Luther King, W.E.B. Dubois, Paul Robeson A. Philip Randolph too believe to name but a few. They were attracted to it because of the economic inequality which afflicted blacks during the period of segregation.

It is nearly impossible to be both a believer in an organized religion and a believer in Marx's vision but there are many who have tried.

They could be compatible, especially if you consider the philosophical Marx, and not just the political side to him. Some liberation theologists were able to combine them, or cobble together a Catholic-Marxist sort of vision.

Agreed. Communism outlaws organized religion. Don't think Marxism does.

Communism is the major form of Marxism put into practice.

Marx might allow for a state religion or some ambiguous form of spirituality that is so popular today but formalized religion is an Oppressor.

Marxism does not really like anything that isn't temporal.

I dunno. He talks about how each man (and probably chicks, too) should be an artist.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Quote:
Republicans were once despised because they were anti-intellectuals and hopeless neurotics. Trained to disbelieve in peaceful coexistence with the liberal enemy, the average Rush Limbaugh fan couldn’t make it through a dinner without interrogating you about your political inclinations.

If you tried to laugh it off, that didn’t work; if you tried to engage, what came back was a list of talking points. When all else failed and you offered what you thought would be an olive branch of blunt truth, i.e. “Honestly, I just don’t give that much of a shit,” that was the worst insult of all, because they thought you were being condescending. (You were, but that’s beside the point). The defining quality of this personality was the inability to let things go. Families broke apart over these situations. It was a serious and tragic thing.

Now that same inconsolable paranoiac comes at you with left politics, and isn’t content with ruining the odd holiday dinner, blind date, or shared cab. He or she does this infuriating interrogating at the office, in school, and in government agencies, in places where you can’t fake a headache and quietly leave the table.

This is all taking place at a time when the only organized opposition to such thinking also supports federal troops rounding up protesters for open-ended detention, going maskless to own the libs, and other equivalent madnesses. If you’re not a Trump fan and can’t reason with the other thing either, what’s left?

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-left-is-now-the-right

It's funny because if you search Matt Taibbi on Twitter right now, it's just a lot of blue check marks calling him a right winger and a fascist and proving his point in the process.

If liberals think you're a right wing nut and conservatives think you're a communist then you're probably doing something right.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Taibbi is doing great work as usual but he probably needs to ease off the culture-war beat for a bit before people go and falsely accuse him of rape again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/20/fo ... o-respond/

The Atlantic published a piece by a police abolition activist, centered on said activist witnessing "a cop" shoot "just a boy" in the arm at a rec center and receiving no punishment.

Turns out the "cop" was a private armed security guard, the "boy" was an adult, and the guard was charged with a crime for the shooting.

It took a week and an investigation by The Federalist to force The Atlantic to issue corrections.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:40 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'll never forget getting to the park at 7a on a Saturday to turn over the fields and dumping diamond dry to get early tball and minor league games while others were working on the major league fields.

3 hours working on the field last thursday to get the games in while we can

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:45 am 

good dolphin wrote:

In the years I played 16 inch it was basically understood that the Chicago park district employees were going to do zero work to get a field ready.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:26 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Have the quality of the fields gotten better or worse over the years? I really remember Park District baseball fields to be really good when I was a kid but now I don't know.

The quality of the basketball courts has gotten better over the years but I hate the rims. Everyone is using double rims, which are terrible to shoot on. The actual court does tend to be better these days though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:27 am 

long time guy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Have the quality of the fields gotten better or worse or the years? I really remember Park District baseball fields to be really good when I was a kid but now I don't know.

The quality of the basketball courts has gotten better over the years but I hate the times. Everyone is using double rims which are terrible to shoot on. The actual court tends to be better these days though.

It depends how much money and resources you use. There are ways to improve it. Conditioned dirt is something I hear great things about.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:38 pm 

long time guy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Have the quality of the fields gotten better or worse over the years? I really remember Park District baseball fields to be really good when I was a kid but now I don't know.

The quality of the basketball courts has gotten better over the years but I hate the rims. Everyone is using double rims, which are terrible to shoot on. The actual court does tend to be better these days though.

Double rims...UGH! A shooter's touch has no chance. See, this is one of many reasons why big guys need to be outlawed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Local ABC7 news reported in a segment yesterday that "To Kill A Mockingbird" is being taking off a summer reading list at a Bolingbrook Middle School, I think it was, for its racist language. Two middle school girls (you can guess the race) complained to their parents who complained to the school.

Do these people understand it's an historical novel that captured that period in history in Alabama and that whatever racist language used by Harper Lee was for literary effect? Did they completely miss the story-line that it's a book about a white lawyer standing up for justice in the face of mob action against him for a wrongfully accused black man, when his daughter and son were assaulted as a result?

As Boers would say, "For the Love of God."

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:54 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Do these people understand it's an historical novel that captured that period in history in Alabama and that whatever racist language used by Harper Lee was for literary effect? It's also a book about a white lawyer standing up for justice in the face of mob action against him for a wrongfully accused black man, when his daughter and son were assaulted as a result?

Obviously not

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
CFL's Edmonton Eskimos are cancelled:

Quote:
The Edmonton CFL franchise announced Tuesday it is discontinuing the use of the Eskimos name.

The club will be known as either the Edmonton Football Team or the EE Football Team during its search for a new moniker.

It was reported last week that Edmonton had reversed its decision not to change its name after one of the club's biggest sponsors - national car and home insurance company Belairdirect - threatened to cut ties.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:34 am 

The CFL might go under completely. They're not a TV show like the NFL, they actually have to put butts in the seats.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:32 pm 

"There's no such thing as cancel culture and it hasn't gone far enough."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Adolf Rupp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
conns7901 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

In the years I played 16 inch it was basically understood that the Chicago park district employees were going to do zero work to get a field ready.

If the Chicago Park District does such a poor job of maintaining the facility that houses a professional football team, how well are the rest of the facilities maintained?

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
conns7901 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

That’s just good use of the taxpayers money. 16 inch isn’t meant to be played on a good field.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:18 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Harvard Dan wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

If the Chicago Park District does such a poor job of maintaining the facility that houses a professional football team, how well are the rest of the facilities maintained?

Maybe Mike North knows.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

That’s just good use of the taxpayers money. 16 inch isn’t meant to be played on a good field.

16 inch softball was the greatest ball game that I have ever played. I played for a great team in the Windy City league at Grant Park in the 70's. Man, that was fun. We kicked ass and won a lot of money in the process.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

16 inch softball was the greatest ball game that I have ever played. I played for a great team in the Windy City league at Grant Park in the 70's. Man, that was fun. We kicked ass and won a lot of money in the process.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:48 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Well, the frontier of wokeness is usually accidental race science

HOLY SHIT they're doing an infrared-scan version of the paper bag test but to see how racist you are. Maybe next time you get your temperature taken at a door, they can tell you whether you're dark enough OR light enough to use the n-word.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:35 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Well, the frontier of wokeness is usually accidental race science

HOLY SHIT they're doing an infrared-scan version of the paper bag test but to see how racist you are. Maybe next time you get your temperature taken at a door, they can tell you whether you're dark enough OR light enough to use the n-word.

I'm pale but tan easily. In summer, I support Trump. In winter, I despise him. Now I know why.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:09 pm 

"The problem is dark-skinned whites, pale-skinned whites can never be racist," remarked study co-authors Wolfgang Kaiserreich and Seamus O'Southboston.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:03 pm 

Charles Barkley is up again.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Dignified Rube wrote:
Local ABC7 news reported in a segment yesterday that "To Kill A Mockingbird" is being taking off a summer reading list at a Bolingbrook Middle School, I think it was, for its racist language. Two middle school girls (you can guess the race) complained to their parents who complained to the school.

Do these people understand it's an historical novel that captured that period in history in Alabama and that whatever racist language used by Harper Lee was for literary effect? Did they completely miss the story-line that it's a book about a white lawyer standing up for justice in the face of mob action against him for a wrongfully accused black man, when his daughter and son were assaulted as a result?

As Boers would say, "For the Love of God."

That's been banned in places for forty years. Can't blame only the Wokies for this one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1506 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 51  Next