It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:38 am 

I'm a Sox fan and I'm tending to agree with you. In general, his answers to questions are way too long-winded, they veer off topic, and usually make their way back to one or two of his pet points which he's repeated over and over and over--like a home/road schedule breakdown or gee, the Arizona pitching rotation could be tough in a short series. Duh. Twice on Monday morning, he didn't even answer the original question put to him--once from a caller and once from Hanley. When the segment was over, I asked myself, what did I learn in this hour with the master? Answer: not much.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I don't know that Stone started out that way when he began working for the Score. Unfortunately if I remember right, he began in 2004 and that was the year he and Bernsie predicted the Cubs "couldn't miss" the playoffs, right until the very end. Thereafter he developed this method of not directly answering any questions and not really taking any chances with his predicitons...I'm not sure it's connected, but I think it is...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:42 pm 

Stone wasn't on the Score until 2005, the year after the 2004 on field and off field debacle. After he left WGN, he began to work for the Score.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:13 pm 

Think about it, before Stone had the minor on air run in with Dusty, what did ever do that was so newsworthy as a boradcaster? Nothing, he has taken that one time and spinned into "I am a tell it like it is guy" unless its about the white sox. Stone hasnt offered anything new in 3 years at the score and once he is gone, many on the air will say it.

The hype Stone gets is from the score and sox and as long as it feeds his ego, he is fine with it. I emailed Steve almost the exact question that started this thread, his reply was " i refuse to answer such questions, they are irrelvant". Uh? But comparing the sox and cubs road trips is? Ok!

Stone is a douchebag and that has been confirmed from people I know with the Cubs and White Sox's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:59 pm 

Stone was a good announcer, I think he knows alot about the game. That said, I have noticed since he's joined the Sox a sligh bias in his opinions.

Stone seems to be "too honest" about the Cubs often fudging his opinions towards the negaive, while he is usually upbeat about the Sox.

I'm not blaming him, if I was fired from a job because of Kent Merker and Dusty Baker I'd probably have an axe to grind.

I wish he'd stop being billed as the end all when it come to baseball opinions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
He is the angry ex-employee trying to hide his anger, under some stats that he keeps pulling out of his ass every week.

Stone is a great pitching analysis guy and of course he knows the game. I think Brenly is actually better. His managerial analysis is excellent. He announces the games like he is managing. His stories are better for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
One thing that had me laughing pretty hard was when Mulli said Lou Pinella bristled at some questions about Zambrano's performance, Stone went "some people in the Cubs organization bristle at any tough questions."

The next caller said "the Sox have a manager and a pitching coach that bristle quite a bit at questions too" and stone went "oh, well, it's August, all managers bristle." Oh, you brave truth-teller Steve Stone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:28 am 

Sounds to me like perhaps the great Mr. Stone, the "best in the business" (Don't believe me? Just ask him.) has been overexposed by all these Score appearances and we are beginnng to see that his pat answers and cliches have just about run their course.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:18 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
One thing that had me laughing pretty hard was when Mulli said Lou Pinella bristled at some questions about Zambrano's performance, Stone went "some people in the Cubs organization bristle at any tough questions."

The next caller said "the Sox have a manager and a pitching coach that bristle quite a bit at questions too" and stone went "oh, well, it's August, all managers bristle." Oh, you brave truth-teller Steve Stone.

Nice recap. I heard that too...and give big kudos to that caller. He sort of called stoney out on that one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Wilson A2000 wrote:
Stone wasn't on the Score until 2005, the year after the 2004 on field and off field debacle. After he left WGN, he began to work for the Score.

you're right...maybe it was '06? I just remember him and Bernsie smugly telling us stupid fans that there was NO WAY the Cubs wouldn't make the playoffs...