It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 190  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
The pizza by the slice place around the corner from me just up and closed. The pizza was merely decent, which is why I only went there for a slice, but they did well with the local hotels and conventions.

Been there close to 20 years.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Sucks for both of you. K Effective more so.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:53 pm 

Franky T wrote:

Agreed K.

But would this not be as big a problem if OSHA & FDA regulations and inspections hadn't been gutted?

Honest question.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
K Effective wrote:
We typically send our small beef herd to slaughter in March-April each year. This year, I was pushed back into early May as they took on a herd from a larger producer who booked up all of April. I didn't book right then, but called in July to secure March-April 2021. The earliest they could get me in was October 2021! The waiting list for openings is 80 people deep.

Apparently the Covid-related closings of the huge packing plants along with cancellation of all the local summer fairs has created this monstrous over supply of animals for processing. I am picky in that I want a place that accepts the live animals vice slaughtering here on farm. I also need something relatively close, we already send customers 50 miles each way to the current shop. This place has provided good service and good prices for nearly 30 years, and I recognize that I'm not big enough to demand special treatment no matter how long we've been patrons.

I called another shop Monday, about 75 miles away- they are booked until March 2021 for hogs and all of 2021 is booked for cattle. They won't be booking any of 2022 cattle for several more months, either.

I have a call in to the truck driver who hauls our cows around to see if he deals with any other places. I'm nearly reaching the actual Chicago stockyards in distance away, if only they were still in operation!

Of course, this delay isn't only an issue for my customers, I need to feed the fat cows an extra six months without growing them too huge to be tasty. And I need to decide when I'll get the replacement heifers in, and how to handle two groups of differently-aged animals in facilities designed only for one bunch at a time.

I should just move.

Yeah.. I’m don’t even want to know how bad our places are pushed back. Have 4 going in in mid December. Might be a While after that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Regular Reader wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Agreed K.

But would this not be as big a problem if OSHA & FDA regulations and inspections hadn't been gutted?

Honest question.

I'll be honest (as always) and say I have no clue if the OSHA/FDA regs and inspections have been gutted, nor how it would have effected the flow of cattle through the processing plants. I really see no connection between my guy, who processes 20 cows/week along with a number of hogs and other animals each week, and the big time plants. I always thought the big plants were for herds from the huge feedlot players, with thousands and tens of thousands of head of cattle, or millions of hogs per year, and I'm not sure if they ever processed small lots like mine, or if the big guys were looking to push into the small places just to move their animals out.

Maybe they want to run little guys like me out of the game and then abandon the little shops to destroy the competition, I can't see a concerted effort like that being formulated and perpetrated by the equivalent of Bovine SPECTRE, but I am pretty naive.

I know one processor near Kalamazoo, larger than my guy, but still small-time, shut down during covid, but not necessarily due to it. Supposedly, their retail market is still open, but not the processing. They were Amish or Mennonite operators, and the bigger producer who took my spot last year was a customer from there. I know without the summer fairs, many kids didn't have the easy market to sell their animals, but I thought most of those went to slaughter at the same places like mine, anyway. I got calls from up by Grand Rapids looking for butcher suggestions.

One of my new supervisors at work, also new to our area, is very interested in the possible service void needing to be filled. He is tiring of being a slumlord (but, not THE SLUMLORD) on the side, and wants to own several businesses, as well. I'd be wary of the idea of opening a butcher shop from scratch- it is very hard work, there are many regulations and rules, and once this surplus passes, there is no guarantee it will ever return. However, I did hear that one of the bar owners in Downtown Saint Joseph is opening a new meat shop with you Western tourists in mind- selling meat trays and snacks as well as providing cuts to his restaurant. I doubt they will be trucking in live cows to shoot out in the alley of the Historic District, but I've been wrong before!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:00 pm 

Thanks K, I have no perspective of my own in this subject and am genuinely fascinated by you guys stories.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Earlier the local 5-50 beef a week places got slammed as people were afraid of meat shortages as news of the plants out west closing were starting to make headlines. When their were shortages it got even worse. I’m frankly surprised that it hasn’t backed off but now it might be producer driven in part.

The HACCP rules make it really hard for expansions or modifications of older plants and lots have closed down over past 20 years or so or switched to being butchers vs processors. Have had a few small ones try opening but generally demand isn’t there as independent livestock production is limited in much of northern and central Illinois.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:28 pm 

Found out this morning that a childhood friend and a guy I coached with both died last night and two college classmates had strokes this week. What a shitty day in a shitty year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Regular Reader wrote:
Found out this morning that a childhood friend and a guy I coached with both died last night and two college classmates had strokes this week. What a shitty day in a shitty year.

:shock: That's awful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:53 pm 

pizza_Place: She/Him
Regular Reader wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that, Mr. Reader.
Getting old is a mother fucker.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:57 pm 

JustAGayGuy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

That can be an understatement.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:57 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
JustAGayGuy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

That can be an understatement.

What he said.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:15 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Regular Reader wrote:

Getting to the point we are seems more weird than I thought it would.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:22 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Getting to the point we are seems more weird than I thought it would.

Strangely 6-7 years out of high school, I had more dead friends than either of my parents. Crime, cancer, AIDS. That was weirder.

Seems to be cranking up again. Ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:45 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I thought the15 years from 25 to 40 flew by, with getting married, buying a house, having kids, being The Man and breadwinner.

That was a snail's pace compared to 40 to 55, when it all has gone away.

I still think I'd rather suffer through getting old than die early.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:00 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
K Effective wrote:
I thought the15 years from 25 to 40 flew by, with getting married, buying a house, having kids, being The Man and breadwinner.

That was a snail's pace compared to 40 to 55, when it all has gone away.

I still think I'd rather suffer through getting old than die early.

The pandemic has really changed me and I'm not doing very well with it. I'm not the slightest bit afraid of catching COVID but it's caused me to examine how many years I might have left, something I never even thought about before. That's why I hate what we're doing so much. I may only have five or ten years left. Who knows? I don't want to spend half of those years walking around in a mask, not being able to attend a Sox game, not being able to belly up to a bar next to other human beings, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
an acquaintance of ours just found out her husband had stage 4 cancer and is unlikely to last the next 4 mo and while they were at that appt, the baby sitter wasn't paying attention and their 4 yr old daughter fell in a pool and drowned. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
what? that is the most horrible story ever.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
hnd wrote:
an acquaintance of ours just found out her husband had stage 4 cancer and is unlikely to last the next 4 mo and while they were at that appt, the baby sitter wasn't paying attention and their 4 yr old daughter fell in a pool and drowned. :cry:

Holy shit. If that were me, I think I'd have Kervorkian take my spouse and me out together (if I had no other kids).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
hnd wrote:

Holy fuck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Gun in the mouth time while cursing God.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
That is just brutal :(

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:50 pm 

yeah its pretty awful. not how i wanted to start my monday.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:51 pm 

I can't even fathom, I don't even know how you mustard the strength to go on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Damn, is the sitter going to jail?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hawg Ass wrote:

Hopefully good vibes and good luck eventually will ketchup to that family.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:06 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Hopefully good vibes and good luck eventually will ketchup to that family.

You should feel really bad about that one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:06 pm 

Now isn't the time to relish in your stupid jokes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

You're right. Rubbing salt in the wound.

My apologies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:00 am 

update :

We were apparently misinformed. There were at the first chemo appt when this happened. So they had known that he had cancer. I mean it gives you a bit of time before devastating news...but not much comfort.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 190  Next