It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:47 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Brick wrote:
OSU to the Big Ten Title game!

Pretty shady by the Big Ten but also pretty awesome by the Big Ten!

I am sure a lot of IU fans will be whining and crying. But OSU deserves it. They won the game on the field. IU had their chances and didnt take advantage.

To me it's kind of like reversing a bad call at the end of a football game and giving the win to the other team.

Logically, OSU deserves to make it but the rules are the rules.

The Big Ten kind of gets away with it by pointing out that if OSU had lost to Michigan this weekend, they still would have been in the Big Ten title game but it's still the rules.

As a non-IU fan though, all the rest of the Big Ten teams really need that CFP money so I'm fine with it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:17 pm 

Purdue/IU cancelled because of COVID in both programs.

They even did a joint press release to avoid the same types of murders that are going to happen between OSU and Michigan fans.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
It’s not like it was some rule etched in stone since The University of Chicago ruled B1G football, it was just some shit thrown against the wall by people who didn’t know what they were doing. Fuck OSU, I hope they lose to NW, but it’s not like they were ones cancelling games.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Northwestern is the default Big Ten Champ!

Go Cats!

I’ll take it. Order my hat to compliment my purple to,Pasadena gear.

I was cleaning up a closet last weekend and discovered an old Rose Bowl sweatshirt from 96 neatly folded in the back. :oops:

I have some t shirts from that year that were made after each surprise win stashed away somewhere. My wife isolated them as they started falling apart as she was going to make something out of them like a quilt,or something but then we had kids. Anyway I found a t shirt a few years back that was simple purple and black but was pretty damn garish with the red roses all over it.. classy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:36 pm 

The BIG10 should just cancel the title game at this point to guarantee OSU a berth in the playoffs.

The conference is so transparent and pathetic in their attempts to get playoff money.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:01 pm 

Brick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Brick wrote:
OSU to the Big Ten Title game!

Pretty shady by the Big Ten but also pretty awesome by the Big Ten!

I am sure a lot of IU fans will be whining and crying. But OSU deserves it. They won the game on the field. IU had their chances and didnt take advantage.

To me it's kind of like reversing a bad call at the end of a football game and giving the win to the other team.

Logically, OSU deserves to make it but the rules are the rules.

The Big Ten kind of gets away with it by pointing out that if OSU had lost to Michigan this weekend, they still would have been in the Big Ten title game but it's still the rules.

As a non-IU fan though, all the rest of the Big Ten teams really need that CFP money so I'm fine with it.

This is a poor analogy. It isn’t reversing a blown call, it is ignoring a rule that both teams played by for the whole season. You can say it was a stupid rule, but it was a rule.

A more proper analogy would be if Indiana beat OSU 22-21 on a last second FG and after the game was over the Big Ten changed the rules so FGs were only worth one point.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:03 am 

One Post wrote:
This is a poor analogy. It isn’t reversing a blown call, it is ignoring a rule that both teams played by for the whole season. You can say it was a stupid rule, but it was a rule.

A more proper analogy would be if Indiana beat OSU 22-21 on a last second FG and after the game was over the Big Ten changed the rules so FGs were only worth one point.
It is a pretty terrible rule though.

OSU would have clinched the appearance in the Big Ten title game as soon as kickoff happened in the OSU/Michigan game. OSU could have lost to Michigan by 40 points and they are still playing in the title game.

I don't think they should have changed it but I'm getting more convinced that it was simply a bad rule and OSU would have been screwed because of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:54 am 

I still think OSU should be in the game, but the one thing that irks me in the deal is you know if the roles were switched that they would not have changed the rule to allow IU to play in the championship game.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:26 am 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

OSU would have clinched the appearance in the Big Ten title game as soon as kickoff happened in the OSU/Michigan game. OSU could have lost to Michigan by 40 points and they are still playing in the title game.

I don't think they should have changed it but I'm getting more convinced that it was simply a bad rule and OSU would have been screwed because of it.

It very probably was a bad rule, but it was a rule.

This loss to Michigan bullshit rationale doesn't carry water. Right now Indiana is 6-1 in the conference. If Ohio State lost to Michigan they would be 5-1. Ohio State would also have played one fewer game. Who is to say that Ohio State wouldn't have lost that game also?

Also, the head to head tiebreaker carries the day when teams have identical records. If Ohio State lost to Michigan, they would have had a worse winning percentage than Indiana.

Again, the rule was probably poorly decided, but all parties knew the rule was in place, until yesterday that is.

The Big Ten has looked like a clowncar full of shitheads all fall. Like I said, they should just give the Big 10 title to OSU and cancel the title game, that would ensure that OSU makes the playoff, which is really all the Big Ten cares about right now. Whores in suits in the AD office, and whores in coaching clothes on the sidelines.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:35 am 

One Post wrote:
Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

This loss to Michigan bullshit rationale doesn't carry water. Right now Indiana is 6-1 in the conference. If Ohio State lost to Michigan they would be 5-1. Ohio State would also have played one fewer game. Who is to say that Ohio State wouldn't have lost that game also?

Also, the head to head tiebreaker carries the day when teams have identical records. If Ohio State lost to Michigan, they would have had a worse winning percentage than Indiana.

Again, the rule was probably poorly decided, but all parties knew the rule was in place, until yesterday that is.

The Big Ten has looked like a clowncar full of shitheads all fall. Like I said, they should just give the Big 10 title to OSU and cancel the title game, that would ensure that OSU makes the playoff, which is really all the Big Ten cares about right now. Whores in suits in the AD office, and whores in coaching clothes on the sidelines.
This is wrong. The rule for this year was that teams with identical losses would rely on head to head in determining the team that goes to the Big Ten title game. 5-1 OSU goes over 7-1 Indiana(if the game had been cancelled). The moment the OSU/Michigan game kicked off then OSU was in the title game. The only way that OSU doesn't get in is if the game isn't played.

Personally, I would have scheduled OSU-Indiana this weekend, but IU is out with COVID for this weekend, and very likely next weekend too, so it wasn't an option.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:48 am 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

This is wrong. The rule for this year was that teams with identical losses would rely on head to head in determining the team that goes to the Big Ten title game. 5-1 OSU goes over 7-1 Indiana(if the game had been cancelled). The moment the OSU/Michigan game kicked off then OSU was in the title game. The only way that OSU doesn't get in is if the game isn't played.

Personally, I would have scheduled OSU-Indiana this weekend, but IU is out with COVID for this weekend, and very likely next weekend too, so it wasn't an option.

Uh, that was the point of the minimum games played rule Brick, don't you see that? You understand that right? It gave validity to the head to head tiebreaker.

Under the current (amended rule) a 1-1 team that beat a 7-1 team would advance to the playoffs.

Again the rule might not have been that well thought out (hell, nothing the big ten has done in the past 12 months has been well thought out - the conference is a fucking embarrassment at this point) but that was the RULE, until yesterday that is.

RFDC was 100% right, if the roles were reversed, there isn't any way in fucking hell the Big10 is changing the rule. It's a pure money grab. It's embarrassing.

So you have a conference that is telling kids not to take money from boosters, take money from agents, take money from anyone because it's "against the rules", and then you have a conference that blatantly changes their rules to get money. The tenuous moral standing that conferences like the Big 10 had entering into 2020 is being wiped out on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:55 am 

One Post wrote:
Uh, that was the point of the minimum games played rule Brick, don't you see that? You understand that right? It gave validity to the head to head tiebreaker.

Under the current (amended rule) a 1-1 team that beat a 7-1 team would advance to the playoffs.
I don't believe that is true though it would be semantics at this point.

Quote:
"The decision was based on a competitive analysis which determined that Ohio State would have advanced to the Big Ten Football Championship Game based on its undefeated record and head-to-head victory over Indiana regardless of a win or loss against Michigan," the conference said.

That would not be true for a 1-1 team.

One Post wrote:
Again the rule might not have been that well thought out (hell, nothing the big ten has done in the past 12 months has been well thought out - the conference is a fucking embarrassment at this point) but that was the RULE, until yesterday that is.

RFDC was 100% right, if the roles were reversed, there isn't any way in fucking hell the Big10 is changing the rule. It's a pure money grab. It's embarrassing.

So you have a conference that is telling kids not to take money from boosters, take money from agents, take money from anyone because it's "against the rules", and then you have a conference that blatantly changes their rules to get money. The tenuous moral standing that conferences like the Big 10 had entering into 2020 is being wiped out on a daily basis.
It's a money grab for sure but it also seems wrong for OSU to miss a chance at the national title because Michigan couldn't play a game this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:29 pm 

Herm Edwards is giving Arizona a merciless dicking down.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:37 pm 

The fighting lovies are having a rough go today so far.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:43 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:

And I've been enjoying this since the second quarter :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:01 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Was going to make a mean comment towards Tommy but why kick a guy when he’s down.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Was going to make a mean comment towards Tommy but why kick a guy when he’s down.

I am gonna ruin this board experience for both of you. I swear.

I love the Cats, though. I'll pull for them even when they play the Illini, if the Illini have nothing to play for and the Cats do.

Edit: Just to save RFDC the effort:

tommy wrote:
if the Illini have nothing to play for

RFDC wrote:
So most every year?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:10 pm 

And now on to my favorite December game, Army vs. Navy. And a packed Michie stadium is a great sight on a beautiful campus.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:13 pm 

tommy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

I love the Cats, though. I'll pull for them even when they play the Illini, if the Illini have nothing to play for and the Cats do.

tommy wrote:

RFDC wrote:
So most every year?

:lol: :lol:

They‘lol figure it out eventually. Probably need a high risk hirer vs a safe retread but maybe not. I’ll enjoy this week but next week might get painful

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:16 pm 

tommy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

tommy wrote:

RFDC wrote:
So most every year?

:D

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: joes pizza
Does Lovie Smith get a 6th year?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:23 pm 

moonpies wrote:

I don't think that this goofy year should be held against virtually any coach. See Penn State and LSU.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I guess the U isn’t back.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:59 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
moonpies wrote:

I don't think that this goofy year should be held against virtually any coach. See Penn State and LSU.

Give him another 6.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:09 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
moonpies wrote:

Give him another 6.

Poor Tommy :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:

Got Kevin Sumlin fired.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:24 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Regular Reader wrote:
And now on to my favorite December game, Army vs. Navy. And a packed Michie stadium is a great sight on a beautiful campus.

Army won. That Navy QB was good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:03 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Got Kevin Sumlin fired.

Black on Black violence :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:21 pm 

Sumlin was such a hit name coming out of Houston, was stunned to see how long ago that was.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:26 pm 

Army takes care of Navy as it should be.

Sarah Fuller on the board. I’m rooting for her.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 33  Next