It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
If you're a radio host and you have laryngitis (Hanley), stay home. Muttering a few hoarse, difficult to understand words every once in a while is not doing anything to help the quality of the show. Stay home and sip some tea, rest, watch the NFL Network, and come back to work when you're better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:45 am 

The worst part of this was listening to Mulli droning on & on & on...on his own. It was pretty annoying to me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Maybe M&H fans can finally come over to the other side and give W & S a listen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:56 am 

walkrman5 wrote:
The worst part of this was listening to Mulli droning on & on & on...on his own. It was pretty annoying to me.

He really does ramble, doesn't he? I was in the car at about 8:15 and he was talking about the play by A.J. from yesterday's White Sox game and was rambling on and on talking in circles. I think about 3/4ths of the way through he realized it because he awkwardly tried to make his point and wrap it up. He took kind of an odd call from a guy in Japan (sounded like a Chicagoan who was living over there) who wanted to know the over/under on Grossman starting. On top of being an odd call, Mully kept talking over the guy for the first 30 seconds of the call. Then he talked about the Chris Williams situation, and that was filled with lots of rambling and the overuse of interjections like "um" and "uh."

I was thinking "Geez...if this was the first time I tuned in to Mully and Hanley, I'd probably never tune in again." It was an absolutely brutal 10 minutes of radio.

I think Mully is an intelligent guy, but I'm surprised that as a writer and as someone who's been on the radio before, albeit not in a permanent role as a host, he would have such a difficult time trying to express himself in a clear and coherent manner.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:39 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Tad Queasy wrote:
If you're a radio host and you have laryngitis (Hanley), stay home. Muttering a few hoarse, difficult to understand words every once in a while is not doing anything to help the quality of the show. Stay home and sip some tea, rest, watch the NFL Network, and come back to work when you're better.

Felicia had the same problem this morning. They sent her home during the 5am hour. How they get someone to show up in her place on 15 minutes' notice, I dunno.

I think Hanley wants to get more settled in before taking off or not showing up for a show. Basically, if he doesn't show, who's taking his place? Score's never impressed me as having the kind of organization skills necessary be able to call a replacement in at 6am. Although, I suppose, you _could_ open the mic and have Rock opine from time to time, sort of like what Hanley was doing. I dunno; it's sort of a wash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:41 am 

spmack wrote:

Umm, no. I can only take so much of the full of himself/avg. at best washed up has been(which is to say none)...and his creepy little sidekick. Time for music IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
Ofman could work double duty. Why didn't Mitch give the orders?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Regular Reader wrote:
spmack wrote:

Umm, no. I can only take so much of the full of himself/avg. at best washed up has been(which is to say none)...and his creepy little sidekick. Time for music IMO.

Awe come on RR, I think Silvy made Waddle much more likable because at first he did come off a little too big for his britches...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:51 pm 

Location: A little town called none of your god-damned business
Be serious. Silvy is more of the problem than waddle. They are as hard to listen to as Laurence and Hood. I'll take a hoarse Hanley and a solo Mulligan over the rest of that crap anytime.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
It absolutely sucks when anyone in radio, let alone any job where you speak, has problems with laryngitis. Where I work, my voice is a huge part of my job. I think Brian should've taken a sick day today, and should take tomorrow off as well if he can't speak. My advice: Plenty of rest, plenty of hot tea & honey & gargling hot water w/salt. Hanley will sound even better in the next day or two... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:24 pm 

spmack wrote:
Awe come on RR, I think Silvy made Waddle much more likable because at first he did come off a little too big for his britches...

At first, but not now? :lol: I just don't find either of them particularly interesting, nor likable(in the case of Waddle). I catch bits of their shows every so often and it always seems to be the same. Whine, talk about traveling exclusively with men and with no insight on any sport from the 'safe' guy beloved by meatheads for taking knockout shots across the middle for a poor to average team. If the show isn't going to be insightful it at least needs to be consistently funny. It isn't.

In fairness, although I can't stand Silvy's voice, he at least does seem to work at/on the show. Waddle on the other hand seems to be stealing. His next original thought may be his first expressed on the show.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
My Coach Vinny wrote:
Ofman could work double duty. Why didn't Mitch give the orders?

Yes, he could... Not only that, he should have enough seniority to know he should take over. March into the studio and demand Brian extricate his suffering ass and go home. On his authority of chief update guy for the last 16 years. No, I'm not kidding. George should have taken over; you're dead right.

And when Mitch walks in, they can his do-nothing ass for not having the common sense to thunk it on his own.

I like it :-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:59 pm 

spmack wrote:

I used to turn on W&S every day at 9:00, but since Mully and Hanley have been on, I find myself not switching over until 10:00. Sometimes 10:10 as I occasionally have morbid curiosity as to how bad Laurence's show is going to be right out of the gate.