It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Death Magnetic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
So far it has been one song at a time, but of the three I have heard so far (Cyanide, The Day That Never Comes, My Apocolypse), two have been very promising. Cyanide seems a little too much like St. Anger- quality to me, which is never good.

Post subject: Re: Death Magnetic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Deep Dish: Giordano's
I'm already cringing at "Unforgiven III", even having never heard it.

http://www.TheCommittedIndian.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

My Apocolypse will be one of the better songs in the Metallica catalog from here on out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:47 pm 
The wife got pissed thinking I was talking to her when I randomly blurted out "You've got to be fucking kidding me" in the car as they read "Unforgiven 3" off the track list.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
You gotta be fucking kidding me. Unforgiven 3!?!?!?!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:03 am 

Just wait for Unforgiven: Resurrection followed by Unforgiven vs. Predator in the next coming album, followed by Unforgiven on Ice and Unforgiven: The Ride.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:05 am 
1000 CLUB

W_Z wrote:
Just wait for Unforgiven: Resurrection followed by Unforgiven vs. Predator in the next coming album, followed by Unforgiven on Ice and Unforgiven: The Ride.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Langel's
W_Z wrote:

When can I get my Unforgiven lunch box?
They're gonna remain unforgiven if they keep making Unforgiven songs. Just stop it James! We forgive you already! :wink:

I've gotta say though that I heard My Apocolypse and it was very "Old School" Metallica. Very crunchy and brutally fast. James sounds like he's back to his style of scream/sing. When he trys to sing normal, it just doesn't work.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
So far, I'm pleasantly surprised. Both official songs have exceeded my expectations.

Unforgiven III, well I liked the first 2 so why not. As James said at one point, if we're gonna rip someone off, it might as well be ourselves.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
i just downloaded a ten song "death magnetic demo"
none of the songs listed on myspace are on this collection.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

Any idea what song will be released?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

i have no idea.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:32 am 
1000 CLUB

Cyanide is awful. Bad, bad, stupid, dumb, bad awful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

The Judas Kiss is definitely one of the better songs that have been released so far, but I still put My Apocalypse as the front-runner for this album. Album comes out in three days, and gotta say that I have been pretty impressed for the most part.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:51 am 
1000 CLUB

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/r ... h-magnetic

Quote:
Metallica:
Death Magnetic
[Warner; 2008]
Rating: 4.9

Metallica became the world's biggest metal band by doing everything right. Then they went and did everything wrong. Their first four records were classic permutations of 1980s thrash: The ferociously raw Kill 'Em All, the increasingly epic Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, and the toweringly technical ...And Justice for All. Until the latter, Metallica refused to make an MTV video. Self-dubbed "Alcoholica", the band cultivated a blue-collar image. However, on 1991's eponymous album (aka "The Black Album"), they went mainstream with radio-friendly ballads, losing old fans but gaining millions of new ones.

Since then, Metallica have been a comedy of errors. Load and ReLoad wallowed in hard rock dreck. The front of Garage Inc., a covers collection, found Metallica awkwardly costumed as auto mechanics to appear as the everymen they once were. S&M was an overwrought collaboration with a symphony. The band sued Napster, earning the scorn of fans. 2003's St. Anger was laughably bad. The documentary film Some Kind of Monster luridly aired the band's dirty laundry. Singer/guitarist James Hetfield and bassist Robert Trujillo were recently photographed shopping at Armani. Such antics have kept Metallica in the headlines, and not necessarily to their benefit. The anticipation for Death Magnetic has split along two lines: hope for a return to form, and schadenfreude.

The album fulfills neither expectation. It tries mightily to recapture Metallica's former glory, but only does so partially. Producer Rick Rubin told the band to write the unwritten half of Master of Puppets, a ludicrous proposition. But his intent was well-meaning: get rich, fortysomething rockers to recall themselves as hungry, twentysomething metallers. In the real world, this is called a midlife crisis. One can emulate one's younger self, but one can't unlearn one's years.

So it is with Death Magnetic. Self-plagiarization abounds. "That Was Just Your Life" and "Cyanide" harken back to "Blackened" from ...And Justice for All. "The Day That Never Comes" has the clean tones of "Fade to Black" and the machine gun riff from "One". In the 1980s, Metallica wrote hundreds of riffs without repeating themselves. To hear them so bereft of new ideas is disheartening. So is the fact that Load, ReLoad, and St. Anger are indelibly part of their bloodstream. "The End of the Line" and "The Judas Kiss" have bland hard rock riffs à la Load and ReLoad. Like most sequels, the turgid "The Unforgiven III" need not have been made. "Cyanide" tapes a Stone Temple Pilots riff to a disastrous stop-start section straight out of St. Anger. Metallica aren't good at being bluesy or unpredictable. They're best at heavy metal thunder, and they've forgotten that.

Rubin's bone-dry production negates this thunder, but it evokes Metallica's garage band days. These are their most energetic performances in ages. Guitarist Kirk Hammett hasn't ever sounded this vital. While he languished solo-less in St. Anger, he's all over Death Magnetic with fiery leads. They often reprise his old ones, but their wah-fueled intensity is a welcome antidote to their underlying riffs. Hetfield has mostly dropped his bluesy yowl in favor of singing in tune. Trujillo adds solid, supportive low end. Drummer Lars Ulrich is the one weak link. He often resorts to simple oompah beats when complementary or counter-rhythms are necessary. But despite his lack of creativity, he plays the hell out of his drums, aided by a harsh, crunchy sound that renders his cymbals incredibly sibilant.

All the energy in the world can't save these songs, however. They're each about two minutes too long. Most top seven minutes in length; the instrumental "Suicide & Redemption" lasts 10 minutes but feels interminable. Prime Metallica had long songs, but they ebbed and flowed, skillfully playing with layers. These songs, in contrast, merely string together riffs. Clean tones invade "The End of the Line" without warning; many songs have intros that are apropos of nothing. Death Magnetic is essentially St. Anger with better riffs.

The band may be more mentally stable now, but it's irreparably damaged. Years of simplistic hard rock have destroyed its sense of speed. Even the thrashy "My Apocalypse" feels clunky. Hetfield's lyrics are toilet-grade; his younger self, while brash, would never have written tripe like "Mangled flesh, snapping spines/ Dripping bloody valentine/ Shattered face, spitting glass." Ever since The Black Album, his lyrics have been embarrassingly personal. Once Metallica became vulnerable, they never recovered. Death Magnetic is a meditation on death-- but so is every other Metallica record. The best ones spit in the face of death; this album instead finds aging men trying to reclaim their youth.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:44 am 
1000 CLUB

Quite the review, right there. And I have to admit that the end of the line is definitely in sight, which is really fucking heartbreaking. Luckily we can always go back and listen to what the band used to be and hope that they are remembered for the right reasons, and not the mistakes they have made as of late.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:49 pm 

That was one of the most eloquently and honest reviews I've read in a long time. Thanks for posting that, Stink.

I've listened to snippets of Death Magnetic and he's right on.

Metallica was part of an era, and they were the best of that era. But there's no soul in metal right now. Not at the mainstream level, at least--and Metallica was better when they WEREN'T mainstream.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

in conclusion:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:46 pm 

^^ :lol: :lol: ^^

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:51 am 
1000 CLUB

W_Z wrote:
. But there's no soul in metal right now.

The members of Mastodon may yet have something to say about that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

Entire album is up on the Metallica.com website. Took a listen, and probably 5 songs worth the listen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:29 pm 

I cant believe Im saying this. Heard a song or two last night and thought it wasnt "that" bad. I wont buy the CD, but at least it didnt sound like choad or re-choad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
I cant believe Im saying this. Heard a song or two last night and thought it wasnt "that" bad. I wont buy the CD, but at least it didnt sound like choad or re-choad.

I think that if this album came out before those two, so much garbage about the band could have been avoided.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:04 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:

I think that if this album came out before those two, so much garbage about the band could have been avoided.

True, but I think regardless of the bad albums, the Napster thing killed it for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'll give you that.

They wanted to be known as "a bunch of fans that made music and got lucky", but that's hard to defend when you have lawsuits against the fans you created.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:40 am 
1000 CLUB

Regardless, the album came out at midnight tonight and I bought it on iTunes. I promised myself I would do it, but I know it is their swan song. Everything has to come to an end at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:28 am 

I'm going to buy it at 11:00 and enjoy while I finish out the 2nd half of my work day.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:31 am 
1000 CLUB

i downloaded it a couple of days ago. guess i'll start listening now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:42 pm 

Five songs are REALLY good.
1. The Day That Never Comes
2. My Apocalypse
3. That Was Just Your Life
4. All Nightmare Long
5. Cyanide

While the other 5 aren't great, they're not bad either. I credit the band for consiously trying to find the early spark. At times it's alive and well. Overall, a good album and worth the 9.99.

"Unforgiven III" is lyrically appropriate, but musically kind of bland. I'd say that is my only disappointment... seeing as how I'm very fond of I and II.

I've only given it one listen front to back. I would guess that a few of the others may grown on me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

wdelaney72 wrote:
Five songs are REALLY good.
1. The Day That Never Comes
2. My Apocalypse
3. That Was Just Your Life
4. All Nightmare Long
5. Cyanide

Personally, I cannot stand Cyanide. I think Broken, Beat & Scarred is a much better tune. I agree with the others in your list, however.