It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 190  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:55 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
My feeling is if b event is going to take out a crop I’d prefer or to take it all the way out. Level that shit to the point I’m not tempted to try to salvage it with an attempt that will cost me more enough that the net of the operation will be a negative.

I agree, total destruction is better than partial damage. In this case, I estimated 95-97% of first bud growth was frozen completely. The secondary and tertiary buds can and did sprout new growth after the event, and will provide some crop. Part of my problem is now I have the surviving first bud fruit beyond the bloom stage and all the rest of the fruit far behind. I cannot use the pre-bloom-only spray materials since some of the fruit is beyond that stage, and is likely to survive. Fruit tainted with certain chemicals is testable at harvest and likely to get me disciplined, including possible loss of membership shares, much less the issue of possibly entering into the food supply of consumers. Of course, I bought a full year's worth of pre-bloom spray dope, and it's not returnable. I can save it for next year.

So, I need to use post-bloom only chemicals, much less effective with some vine diseases, and now my sprayer is down, too. Oh well, I'm kinda hoping the vines don't produce enough to justify even running the harvester over the acres to prove yield, but rather that the loss is deemed high enough to meet the threshold to pay the claim in full. This has not been the case in previous frost damage events; I went with the estimated crop level once, only to be stung by a high estimate, (in my mind). The other times, I have paid to have the crop harvested to prove exactly what was there, and it has paid off. This year, maybe not.

Either way, I need to continue a normal spray program for the fruit that will be there and for the vine disease issues that can develop, at least through July (about 75% of the spray program). After that, estimated yield may allow me to stop spraying and let it go.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:11 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Exactly. I knew you'd get it, even if I didn't nail the line perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's
K Effective wrote:
CDOM wrote:
The driveshaft on one of my cars is shot. It is a 2-piece design, so it has a carrier bearing in the center. It has been bad for awhile, but recently is getting really loud. So I got off the pot and found one. GM doesn't make them anymore (only 2,503 of this vehicle were made between 2006 - 2009), so I couldn't buy a replacement. And it isn't serviceable. It doesn't use a standard U-joint after the bearing, so there are no parts to fix it. My options were to get a custom made one which is bigger $$$. Or find another off a salvaged car. I ended up finding one out in California. Ordered it a week ago Moanday and the guy said I should have it by Friday. Friday comes... No driveshaft. Saturday comes... No driveshaft. So I call them this past Moanday.

They ended up shipping it errantly to Texas. So since they couldn't just re-route it, it had to be shipped back to California and once it gets back (Wednesday I believe), it will be resent to Illinois. So he is estimating this upcoming Moanday...

The PTO driveshaft on our vineyard sprayer is designed for tight turns, and has a CV joint at the tractor end vice a standard U-joint. It was starting to fail, but I caught it before doing major damage. I dropped it off at the Ag rebuilder before Memorial Day, they'd get to it and give me an estimate before the weekend.

Well, they got busy and didn't get it done by Friday, closed Saturday and Monday. Guy who works on those on vacation after the holiday. He gets sick with a heart issue and doesn't come back right away after vacation. I called yesterday- "O h yeah, let me look. I see he put together an estimate, $386. Probably be next week before we see the parts, hopefully by the end of next week it will be ready."

Yep, right around a month, hopefully. Not like I need to spray every ten days or so right now, or anything. Oh well, glad the frost took out the majority of our crop, I guess?

Simple communication, which is virtually non-existent anymore, would've worked wonders. At least you could've made a decision to wait, or come get it.

The guy at the salvage yard said he tried calling me, but I'd have noticed a 916 (Sacramento) area code being out of the norm...

As to Discount tire (since I am constantly replacing tires on my fleet), is great for getting in/out. But if you have a set of nice/special/unique wheels, they aren't the best choice. They're all about moving the line and slowing down to make sure their equipment doesn't scratch the outer lip of a wheel, isn't a priority.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:35 pm 

CDOM wrote:
Simple communication, which is virtually non-existent anymore, would've worked wonders. At least you could've made a decision to wait, or come get it.

The guy at the salvage yard said he tried calling me, but I'd have noticed a 916 (Sacramento) area code being out of the norm...

As to Discount tire (since I am constantly replacing tires on my fleet), is great for getting in/out. But if you have a set of nice/special/unique wheels, they aren't the best choice. They're all about moving the line and slowing down to make sure their equipment doesn't scratch the outer lip of a wheel, isn't a priority.

Yep, I blame the counter guy. He had my cell number but never called once. They are a huge truck parts/repair place that dabbles in Ag stuff, so I understand it is not a priority, but they still dropped the ball. Had I not called him, it would have been another week at least. Maybe I'm at fault for not being the typical hover-over customer whose $400 repair bill is life-changing, but I try NOT to be that guy, hoping to leave them alone to get it done better and sooner.

I wonder why guys lie about trying to call, when they should know we can tell if they did or not so easily.

For specialty rims, I would have to be hovering, making it clear how I wanted them treated, and that I was willing to wait longer and pay more to guarantee perfection. Yes, I should not have to do that, but would, and would make sure to tip or drop by with pizza for the guys later, or something to reward perfection. Pizza deliveries has been my go-to with Discount Tire, specifically. You might be surprised what $30 worth of Pizza Hut or Dominos crap delivered gets you next time.

Or, you need the high-end up-fitter accessory place to do your tire work. Pizza is probably cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's
Laziness...

If I have to have them do nice wheels, I make it noted to be careful with them wheels, but, whether that happens or not.. Not sure. Since they won't let you in the actual shop past that first bay, you wouldn't be able to really see them.

For those special wheels, I have a shop around the corner that is much more careful, yes more expensive, but...

I have actually contemplated buying my own tire machine and balancer just because I am R&R'ing tires so much and being in car circles, advertising that I am not in a rush to get your tire on/off, so I'm careful with them, could net me some nice $$$... My problem is I really don't have space for the machines.

@Frank, you weren't changing a flat on a black VW in South Elgin this morning... Someone around the block from me had a flat this morning and was changing it as I went by.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
K Effective wrote:
CDOM wrote:

Yep, I blame the counter guy. He had my cell number but never called once. They are a huge truck parts/repair place that dabbles in Ag stuff, so I understand it is not a priority, but they still dropped the ball. Had I not called him, it would have been another week at least. Maybe I'm at fault for not being the typical hover-over customer whose $400 repair bill is life-changing, but I try NOT to be that guy, hoping to leave them alone to get it done better and sooner.

I wonder why guys lie about trying to call, when they should know we can tell if they did or not so easily.

For specialty rims, I would have to be hovering, making it clear how I wanted them treated, and that I was willing to wait longer and pay more to guarantee perfection. Yes, I should not have to do that, but would, and would make sure to tip or drop by with pizza for the guys later, or something to reward perfection. Pizza deliveries has been my go-to with Discount Tire, specifically. You might be surprised what $30 worth of Pizza Hut or Dominos crap delivered gets you next time.

Or, you need the high-end up-fitter accessory place to do your tire work. Pizza is probably cheaper.

I run several different colors of equipment on the farm. The New holland sales guy is a likable enough guy. does great on prices and will even go and find things for you through contacts he has made at other jobs and with farmers. All that aside.. The parts guys up there are the laziest pieces of garbage. "Yeah, that's not available" is what I get told all the time.. You know what. It is available and here's the part number as Im looking at the same damn parts catalog you guys have. So they either forgot to look and came up with these dumb excuses or are incompetent. I get it is not a common machine that you guys sell but you sold it to me 4 years ago new. Its current model stuff. This shouldn't be that difficult.

Its about as frustrating as dealing with truck drivers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:12 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Ahhh farming....such a leisurely, satisfying way to live a non-stressful life and provide for the masses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:16 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Ahhh farming....such a leisurely, satisfying way to live a non-stressful life and provide for the masses.

Exactly. The pastoral existence is marvelous. I don't want to talk about the summer annual germination.. Apparently it needed more than .3 inches of rain in the past month. Go figure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:19 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Exactly. The pastoral existence is marvelous. I don't want to talk about the summer annual germination.. Apparently it needed more than .3 inches of rain in the past month. Go figure.

If there were an ‘80s Doc Knows Nike campaign along the lines of Bo Knows Tennis, it would have read Doc Knows He’s Not A Farmer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:25 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:

If there were an ‘80s Doc Knows Nike campaign along the lines of Bo Knows Tennis, it would have read Doc Knows He’s Not A Farmer.

I should of paid attention to that campaign if it existed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:48 pm 

Yes, pastoral at its best. I was unloading hay into the barn today, got about 200 bales done. I work alone, so it's put 25-40 on the conveyor, then climb up and stack them, repeat. I was trying hard to stop and drink between trips, since it's nice and warm. Of course, a couple bales broke when they hit the floor in the loft, so I pushed them down to the cows, who were hanging around in/out of the barn all day.

So, I took an empty wagon to to the storage area outside the East pasture, where the cows have been for the last week, or so. I unhooked and decided to drive back the long way, around the North fence. Sure enough, halfway up the hill, a tree had fallen from inside the neighbor's woods onto my fence, pulling all six wires down flat to the ground. Quick, jump in and it's too heavy to lift by hand. Run up to close the gate, then back to the barn to count tails. Somehow, they must have all stayed inside the fence, despite the wires on the ground and the fencer shorted out. I'll assume it was when the storm rolled through this morning, with pretty high winds about 0600. They were exposed from time of tree fall to about 7pm. I let them out into the closer pasture and set off to fix the fence. Not sure how I didn't notice the fencer shorted out, I walked by it ten times or more on the way to the loft, but i did have my ear buds in...

How relaxing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
K Effective wrote:
Yes, pastoral at its best. I was unloading hay into the barn today, got about 200 bales done. I work alone, so it's put 25-40 on the conveyor, then climb up and stack them, repeat. I was trying hard to stop and drink between trips, since it's nice and warm. Of course, a couple bales broke when they hit the floor in the loft, so I pushed them down to the cows, who were hanging around in/out of the barn all day.

So, I took an empty wagon to to the storage area outside the East pasture, where the cows have been for the last week, or so. I unhooked and decided to drive back the long way, around the North fence. Sure enough, halfway up the hill, a tree had fallen from inside the neighbor's woods onto my fence, pulling all six wires down flat to the ground. Quick, jump in and it's too heavy to lift by hand. Run up to close the gate, then back to the barn to count tails. Somehow, they must have all stayed inside the fence, despite the wires on the ground and the fencer shorted out. I'll assume it was when the storm rolled through this morning, with pretty high winds about 0600. They were exposed from time of tree fall to about 7pm. I let them out into the closer pasture and set off to fix the fence. Not sure how I didn't notice the fencer shorted out, I walked by it ten times or more on the way to the loft, but i did have my ear buds in...

How relaxing.

This was a positively fascinating post. No shit. I mean it.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:12 pm 

I could be a free weekend farmhand someday, K.

I loved climbing up in the rafters when we were shelling corn and such. I’d kill myself now but I’m sure you have workers comp.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Darkside wrote:
K Effective wrote:

How relaxing.

This was a positively fascinating post. No shit. I mean it.

It’s stories like that which remind me what actual work looks like.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:41 pm 

K Effective wrote:

How relaxing.

I'm about due for a day of idiot cubes (small square bales). We baled some 6X5 rounds this week and were moving them today. Weld gave way on the hay forks. At least you found the down line when it was daylight. I always enjoy the twilight discoveries of problems. I have a bunch of other work that needs to be done but until it rains there really is no point. Supposed to have storms over night so we shall see. Withhow dry it is we could get a couple, three inches and it wouldn't pond the fields.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:23 pm 

If anybody wants me on a hay rack stacking bales shirtless in the sun, I’m sure I’d look just as good now as I did in 1988.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:23 pm 

I still require $4/hour.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:40 pm 

I still require $4/hour.

I'll give you 6 but I require additional services.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Darkside wrote:
I still require $4/hour.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:48 pm 

If anybody wants me on a hay rack stacking bales shirtless in the sun, I’m sure I’d look just as good now as I did in 1988.

That was a rough summer for the hay baling crews I’m told.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:56 pm 

Darkside wrote:
I still require $4/hour.

Jeans, boots, and a shirtless Ken as he scratches all the stray hay off his sweat isn’t enough?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:10 pm 

Darkside wrote:
I still require $4/hour.

Jeans, boots, and a shirtless Ken as he scratches all the stray hay off his sweat isn’t enough?

It's a start.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:08 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:

That was a rough summer for the hay baling crews I’m told.

That’s because I put other crews to shame with my patented knee-lift stack throw.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's

I, unfortunately, cannot say the same. Might want to push the years to 91/92 for looks, and 95 for legality.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:44 am 

I still require $4/hour.

I pay high school kids $20-25/hour now, just to get them to come back.

A couple of the adult guys, who really work because they enjoy the hay and the exercise, I figure $40-50/hour.

Normally I take about $0.50/bale and divide it up. Might be generous, but as we know, I can WRITE IT OFF!

I sell almost zero hay now, so I can't really pass the cost on to another buyer. I like to sell right off the wagon to limit the number of times we have to handle it, and I finally convinced my neighbor's daughter to work that into her hay buying schedule.

With the number of young Moms living on the outskirts of the hay fields, I'm not sure the locals would take to a magnet like a shirtless Dr. Ken, glistening in the summer sun. I assume most of your concubines are unmarried, but there may be some competition amongst our neighbor women for eligible spots on your roster...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
If a hotel has a guest laundry, telling me to walk three blocks in the rain to Walgreens because maybe they have quarters because the hotel doesn't and doesn't seem to care to try to get any... Even better, this is after I have parked my car in their shared garage and I can't leave because they can't validate the parking until after checkin.

I would suggest to the shift manager that maybe he get somebody to have sufficient coins, but I don't need to be called a racist on Juneteenth.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:34 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

I, unfortunately, cannot say the same. Might want to push the years to 91/92 for looks, and 95 for legality.

Rest assured, Spaulding, you are always welcome shirtless on this farm.

You, too, Doc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:10 pm 

K Effective wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

You, too, Doc.

It’s 6 bucks an hour these days for that privilege.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:27 pm 

K Effective wrote:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 190  Next