It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 ... 190  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Spaulding wrote:
Jeep people love their jeeps. I don't know if they have issues or not but they hold value pretty well from what I've heard. I think my son would like a jeep. He'll need a car in a few months and we are trying to decide what to do. Get him a beater? Give him mine and get me a good one?

I have a wrangler. Don’t regret it yet but would avoid wranglers and gladiator’s for first cars. The solid front axle abd narrowness can be unpredictable for inexperienced drivers. They do hold their value I imagine I’ll trade mine off before it gets old but will have to replace the f250 first most likely.

We were going to buy a beater for my daughter. Well.. not a beater but something with some milage but grandpa wouldn’t cooperate. Nice gesture and all buy my insurance company was probably happier than my daughter and way happier than my wife.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Jeep people love their jeeps. I don't know if they have issues or not but they hold value pretty well from what I've heard. I think my son would like a jeep. He'll need a car in a few months and we are trying to decide what to do. Get him a beater? Give him mine and get me a good one?

I have a wrangler. Don’t regret it yet but would avoid wranglers and gladiator’s for first cars. The solid front axle abd narrowness can be unpredictable for inexperienced drivers. They do hold their value I imagine I’ll trade mine off before it gets old but will have to replace the f250 first most likely.

We were going to buy a beater for my daughter. Well.. not a beater but something with some milage but grandpa wouldn’t cooperate. Nice gesture and all buy my insurance company was probably happier than my daughter and way happier than my wife.

They are cool-looking but are loud, ride horribly and are ridiculously overpriced. We looked at one for our daughter and I was truly stunned by the price.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:06 pm 

I drive one ton and 3/4 ton work trucks and spend 40 hours a week in a tractor all summer. It’s fine at anything under 65.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's
Yup, modern day ox carts with an engine.

Spaulding, just get him a beater. It's gonna get beat, hit, he hits stuff with it, etc, etc...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Yes, beater. Look for the early 2000's Buick LeSabre, Caddy Devillle, etc. Lots of steel to protect him, usually decent mileage, and they run to 200K. Really nice, low miles ones can be had for under $5K, and he can easily learn to wrench on them.

I just returned from Grand Rapids, had to go rescue my daughter. Turned out the rear brake hose rusted at the fitting and started to leak, she lost enough fluid to get air in a line and lose brakes. I bought that 2007 Mazda 3 from a coworker in 2014 with under 80K on it, now has 110K, still runs great, but the rust is creeping in quickly. Tried to shove the jack through the rocker this afternoon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:38 pm 

A friend of mine was flown to the hospital in Grand Rapids a couple of days ago. He is now scheduled to have a lung transplant, results of covid. Pretty scary to get this far into the pandemic and come down with it May 24.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
K Effective wrote:
Yes, beater. Look for the early 2000's Buick LeSabre, Caddy Devillle, etc. Lots of steel to protect him, usually decent mileage, and they run to 200K. Really nice, low miles ones can be had for under $5K, and he can easily learn to wrench on them.
You get the added bonus that no girls will want to be seen with him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:44 pm 

K Effective wrote:
A friend of mine was flown to the hospital in Grand Rapids a couple of days ago. He is now scheduled to have a lung transplant, results of covid. Pretty scary to get this far into the pandemic and come down with it May 24.

That sucks. One of my wife's friend's brother in law is in the hospital in Chicago waiting for a liver transplant of all things. They are saying related to his covid treatment (They think) around the new year.

My complaint is I just got in from cultivating a corn field that was too wet but the 2 inches of rain in the next 24 hours told me I had to do it. Damn coulters plugged up so many times (Big Orthman cultivator) from the residue and wet sand that it took twice as long as it should of but if we waited for it to dry the grasses would be out of control. My hands look they went through a wood chipper and running a 16 row cultivator after dark blows..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:09 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
So, when you are cultivating, is there still like a stick guide by the front wheel or have they improved on that “technology”.

I’m good for plowing under a few rows per pass if you need help.

My Dad’s friends let him know that kid needs to pursue other options.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:22 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
So, when you are cultivating, is there still like a stick guide by the front wheel or have they improved on that “technology”.

I’m good for plowing under a few rows per pass if you need help.

My Dad’s friends let him know that kid needs to pursue other options.

GPS helps as long as nothing goes wrong. When it doesn't work or I have to do a section manually I have a camera that runs between the rear tires to make sure Im not running down a row. The tractor, if I set it up actually has a camera system that detects where the crop is and steers to stay in the rows... In theory. In practice it drives like it has had one or ten too many cocktails and decides to jump rows at random. A 16 row cultivator leaves quite the damage when that happens so I no long activate that little piece of technology. It would probably work fine on a perfectly flat piece of land that has perfectly strait rows.. Which of course negates the need for such a system.

I honestly believe you couldn't do worse than I do in this one field I have. Well, you could but I think you'd have to try. I don't do curved cultivating and no matter how many times I tell the guy who custom plants for me this I still end up with curved rows of crop in that field. I just planted hay this year. "But that's good corn ground" I'm told. Not after I cultivate it twice.

And all that said... Id be happy to let people take a round or two in the tractor if they find themselves out this way. Even a shirtless doctor ken as I need to see this knee up technique...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:14 am 

Always amazes me that corn plants die instantly when the cultivator sweep passes within six inches of them, but the weeds withstand direct hits from the shovels and seem to thrive.

My neighbor upgraded to a 16 row Kinze planter this year from his six row 7200- made harvest with an 8 row header easier, especially since he cheaped out on the GPS. His son-in-law is taking the operation over, and has family ground about 20 miles away they farm, and he pays for the subscriptions, but by me they are down under 400 acres and it is more than he wants to spend for a "luxury".

I cut up my last cultivator to make a custom unit for in the vineyard, but we've gone to cover cropping between the rows there now.

I need to start second cutting hay, but not with this forecast. It will be interesting to see how the new seeding of hay holds up- it's nearly ready to be cut the first time, but having tilled that field pretty thoroughly, I 'm afraid it will be real soupy, especially if we get 3-5 inches this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:47 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Spaulding wrote:

Check with your insurance company before you buy.

Your rates will skyrocket no matter what, but I think the type and model of car for your son matters.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:52 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Seacrest wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Your rates will skyrocket no matter what, but I think the type and model of car for your son matters.

You can also keep your rates down if you specify which car your son is allowed to drive.

I've had good luck with Rav4s. They are pretty easy to drive with good sightlines in the vehicle for new drivers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:58 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Seacrest wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

You can also keep your rates down if you specify which car your son is allowed to drive.

I've had good luck with Rav4s. They are pretty easy to drive with good sightlines in the vehicle for new drivers.

So your son's are never allowed to drive your ride Doc?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:05 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

So your son's are never allowed to drive your ride Doc?

Correct. They can drive it but the coverage is different.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:07 am 

You can also put them on temporary coverage if they go off to college without a car.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Drove a Wrangler for a few years in college and loved it. I also had a Jeep Patriot for a number of years after I got divorced. Had no issues with either. My wife was in talks with her boss about giving up her company car and I started looking for something for me and giving her my Honda Passport. I started with Jeep Wranglers but couldn't find anything reasonable new or used. It is incredible what they get for those. It is a crappy ride overall, bad in the wind and on the highway. I'd like it because I only have a 2 mile drive to work and taking it out into the county for golf is just a 20 minute drive. It is fun when the roads are crap but that only happens a day or two a year. Spaulding I think you can find something with more value and safety for your son than a Jeep honestly unless he wants to help pay for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I followed the same thinking as my Dad....here's a car...it's used and it runs. You don't like it....fuck off and buy your own.

My kids drove a 2008 Honda Civic that was a hand-me-down. It now has 228,000 miles on and some warts, but it still runs. Neither have ever complained about it.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:55 am 

BigW72 wrote:
I followed the same thinking as my Dad....here's a car...it's used and it runs. You don't like it....fuck off and buy your own.

My kids drove a 2008 Honda Civic that was a hand-me-down. It now has 228,000 miles on and some warts, but it still runs. Neither have ever complained about it.

My son drives my old 2008 Nissan Xterra with 192,000 miles on it, and he is happy to have it as the price is perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:08 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Drove a Wrangler for a few years in college and loved it. I also had a Jeep Patriot for a number of years after I got divorced. Had no issues with either. My wife was in talks with her boss about giving up her company car and I started looking for something for me and giving her my Honda Passport. I started with Jeep Wranglers but couldn't find anything reasonable new or used. It is incredible what they get for those. It is a crappy ride overall, bad in the wind and on the highway. I'd like it because I only have a 2 mile drive to work and taking it out into the county for golf is just a 20 minute drive. It is fun when the roads are crap but that only happens a day or two a year. Spaulding I think you can find something with more value and safety for your son than a Jeep honestly unless he wants to help pay for it.

The real basic ones aren’t horrible in price but they basically don’t exist. I wanted one in college when I lived out west but never pulled the trigger. And ended up getting a pick up instead when my Dad stepped in and helped with finances as a sort of “You’re on your own now kid.” If he hasn’t I probably would of bought a 1000 dollar Scrambler or a 500 buck scout and spent every weekend trying to keep my running. My friends old Willy’s was fun though. Different beast than the modern ones, especially the 4 door ones. I occasionally think about buying an old one and restoring it when I have more time. So probably never.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:19 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hawg Ass wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

My son drives my old 2008 Nissan Xterra with 192,000 miles on it, and he is happy to have it as the price is perfect.
Yup. In my late teens, I primarily drove the family's 1990 Astro Van. Not glamourous, but it was available to me probably 90% of the time I needed/wanted to drive.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:49 am 

If Disney World is the happiest place on earth, Myrtle Beach is the trashiest. Ugly people, living ugly, from which they are taking an ugly vacation. Ayn Rand envisioned some different result when she implored man to seek his own happiness as the moral purpose of life. She was wrong and Myrtle Beach is a perfect refutation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
We are looking at used sedans mostly, carvana has jeeps that didn't seem too expensive and low milage. Good to know about safety and driving though. We aren't too concerned about ins cost. Since he stopped playing hockey we save a small fortune every year.

We just got rid of a Rav 4. I think it was too trucks and hurt my husband's back on longer trips.

I might push for a new one for me though. Not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:54 am 

good dolphin wrote:
If Disney World is the happiest place on earth, Myrtle Beach is the trashiest. Ugly people, living ugly, from which they are taking an ugly vacation. Ayn Rand envisioned some different result when she implored man to seek his own happiness as the moral purpose of life. She was wrong and Myrtle Beach is a perfect refutation.

But are they winning ugly?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:40 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Isn't the nickname for that area the Redneck Riviera? I was there for my brothers wedding 15 years ago and was not impressed. Everything is packed in tight just trying to be close to the coast.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:55 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Isn't the nickname for that area the Redneck Riviera? I was there for my brothers wedding 15 years ago and was not impressed. Everything is packed in tight just trying to be close to the coast.

Redneck Riviera is the Gulf Shores area.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Spaulding wrote:
We are looking at used sedans mostly, carvana has jeeps that didn't seem too expensive and low milage. Good to know about safety and driving though. We aren't too concerned about ins cost. Since he stopped playing hockey we save a small fortune every year.

We just got rid of a Rav 4. I think it was too trucks and hurt my husband's back on longer trips.

If you are concerned about crash safety and winter roads.....get any of the AWD Subaru cars. I've owned both an F150 and Tacoma in 4WD and the Subaru's handle the snow better than both of them.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
T-Bone wrote:

I thought the redneck rid was along pensacola/Panama City.

My parents and my husband drive a Subaru. The legacy might be an option.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:59 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Redneck Riviera is the Gulf Shores area.

I knew I could count on you to correct me Hawg. :eye: Myrtle should definitely be called something.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
BigW72 wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

If you are concerned about crash safety and winter roads.....get any of the AWD Subaru cars. I've owned both an F150 and Tacoma in 4WD and the Subaru's handle the snow better than both of them.

Subaru's huh? So do they take your balls right there at the dealership, or do you send them in with the registration?
How does it work exactly?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 ... 190  Next