It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Illini
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Squirrel, I have heard that argument about the type of kid falling at JuCo that would do the same at University, but I do not buy it. Plenty of kids fail at University. But the difference is you learn to grow up and be on your own, and manage your time when you get away from home. Generally you are surrounded by more motivated people than the kids who are reliving high school every Friday night.

To be fair, I have never seen any research on the topic. So just my opinion and life experience.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:18 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Squirrel, I have heard that argument about the type of kid falling at JuCo that would do the same at University, but I do not buy it. Plenty of kids fail at University. But the difference is you learn to grow up and be on your own, and manage your time when you get away from home. Generally you are surrounded by more motivated people than the kids who are reliving high school every Friday night.

To be fair, I have never seen any research on the topic. So just my opinion and life experience.

Fair enough. It truly depends on the student. Some kids aren't ready for either. It's actually one of the reasons I wanted my sons to play serious sports. Young boys need both the discipline, socializing skills and ability to succeed and fail with a similar ability to stay on course.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:25 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
You guys are too hard on UofI. We’re lucky to have a world-class institution in the state.

It’s a big place. If you want to stroke it and waste your parent’s money, you can. If you want to invent Netscape, you can do that too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Fair enough. It truly depends on the student. Some kids aren't ready for either. It's actually one of the reasons I wanted my sons to play serious sports. Young boys need both the discipline, socializing skills and ability to succeed and fail with a similar ability to stay on course.

My general experience, especially at Montana state was that like attracts like. There were plenty of kids making the mistakes of drinking all the time and playing video games or skiing or whatever and not going to class and they did it at the expense of 10k that first year probably. And then you never saw them again. These kids tended to hang together without reliving the glory days of high school with their buds. That's my lived experience. I wasted money at NU but also discovered that my current path was not for me so I took a break, worked a the CBOT, and decided being inside 16 hours a day wasn't for me so I headed west. That it didn't turn into a fish and wildlife gig (yet?) is okay as it let me grow up and learn things about myself. Luckily I didn't have 10s of thousands in debt to deal with when I was done.

I have a lot of lessons learned as a student that I wish my folks had had. I'm sure they did too. Some kids need soft launches, some need to get launched with a boot in the ass, a one size fits all approach just won't work. I've spent a lot of time with my dad the last few years and 46 year old squirrel wishes that current day dad would of spoken to him in the 90's while I was trying to figure things out. It is not how you start the race, it's how you finish. Even if that means finishing at UIUC.

Sorry Doc, I had to.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:34 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
You guys are too hard on UofI. We’re lucky to have a world-class institution in the state.

It’s a big place. If you want to stroke it and waste your parent’s money, you can. If you want to invent Netscape, you can do that too.

We already had three. Northwestern, U of C and IIT. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:35 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Regular Reader wrote:

We’ve established that I hate you, correct?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:37 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

We’ve established that I hate you, correct?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:38 pm 

:D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:59 am 

Some good chat in here about college etc.

I'm living this with my first one now - she's looking at Iowa (duh) among other schools but she's a realist - she had set a budget for herself in terms of knowing what we can afford and how much debt she is willing to take on. So she's added some non traditional schools to her list like the Wisconsin state schools (like Plateville, Stevens Point, etc).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
We're loyal to you, Illinois
We're orange and blue, Illinois

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
We're loyal to you, Illinois
We're orange and blue, Illinois

Are those actual lyrics to an actual illinois fight song? Had to be written by an eunuch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:28 pm 

Have to make a new betting prop. O/U OT.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:30 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Have to make a new betting prop. O/U OT.

9 OTs and didn't get the over.

We need new sharps.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Will this help Illini recruiting?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:47 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Will this help Illini recruiting?

Yes.

Asked and answered.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Did I see it right? The third time in 50 years they beat a top-10 team on the road?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:05 pm 

a retard wrote:
Did I see it right? The third time in 50 years they beat a top-10 team on the road?

Sounds right.

OSU with Juice.

Can't remember the other one. Maybe Johnnie Johnson at Michigan in 1992.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
a genius wrote:

Sounds right.

OSU with Juice.

I was in Champaign for the good Mike White years, but my greatest football moment was Juice dancing on the "O".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
a genius wrote:

Sounds right.

OSU with Juice.

I was in Champaign for the good Mike White years, but my greatest football moment was Juice dancing on the "O".

Watched that at Murphy’s. A group climbed the gates to try to rip down the goalposts at Memorial Stadium. The unprecedented move didn’t work.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:57 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
a genius wrote:

Sounds right.

OSU with Juice.

Watched that at Murphy’s. A group climbed the gates to try to rip down the goalposts at Memorial Stadium. The unprecedented move didn’t work.

We ripped down the goalposts when Doug Higgins kicked 5 FGs to beat MSU 15-13. Only time we rushed the field.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Unbelievable they beat Penn St.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:41 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Unbelievable they beat Penn St.

Odds are they’d beat them 1 time out of 10.

They got 10 times.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
a genius wrote:

Sounds right.

OSU with Juice.

We ripped down the goalposts when Doug Higgins kicked 5 FGs to beat MSU 15-13. Only time we rushed the field.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
a genius wrote:

Sounds right.

OSU with Juice.

Cool.

Nobody interviewed me. I had thoughts. Drunken, tailgating thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:33 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

I'm living this with my first one now - she's looking at Iowa (duh) among other schools but she's a realist - she had set a budget for herself in terms of knowing what we can afford and how much debt she is willing to take on. So she's added some non traditional schools to her list like the Wisconsin state schools (like Platteville, Stevens Point, etc).
It sure is, Vince.
I went through this with my older son who is now 21 years old. He played HS Hockey, so there was that structure mentioned by Reader. He got through High School ok, but I think I took for granted that academically, High School for the non-honors, non-AP kid isn't difficult. I really wanted him to have the college experience and I had concerns that Junior College would put him in rut of nowhere. I sent him away to Minnesota State in Mankato. I knew it was 50/50 and there was a chance he wouldn't make it. My hope was just as Squirrel mentioned...he'd learn and grow with a positive group. It ended up being a waste and he didn't make it. Second year was Junior College and he didn't handle that any better. He's now convinced himself that he is no interest in college and has been working full time. Not really going anywhere yet, but he does go to work every day. I tried....it was a waste, but I can at least say he had a chance. All said and done, he's his Mother's son despite my best efforts. I'm OK that he doesn't want to go to school, but he still has yet to find something that lights a fire in his ass. I've seen this with many of his peers and my step-daughter's friends that are the same age. They're just in nowhere land. I don't get it at all. He does want to move out and not live at home, but has yet to get to the point that he's gotta start making that happen.

My younger son is completely different. He likes school....studies and seems to embrace the work that goes into it.

Kids...ugh :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:10 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
What a fucking great game, one of the best Ive ever seen..huge win. That D killed it, we were screaming at the play calling in every OT to go empty backfield and spread em out a QB draw.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
BigW72 wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

I'm living this with my first one now - she's looking at Iowa (duh) among other schools but she's a realist - she had set a budget for herself in terms of knowing what we can afford and how much debt she is willing to take on. So she's added some non traditional schools to her list like the Wisconsin state schools (like Platteville, Stevens Point, etc).
It sure is, Vince.
I went through this with my older son who is now 21 years old. He played HS Hockey, so there was that structure mentioned by Reader. He got through High School ok, but I think I took for granted that academically, High School for the non-honors, non-AP kid isn't difficult. I really wanted him to have the college experience and I had concerns that Junior College would put him in rut of nowhere. I sent him away to Minnesota State in Mankato. I knew it was 50/50 and there was a chance he wouldn't make it. My hope was just as Squirrel mentioned...he'd learn and grow with a positive group. It ended up being a waste and he didn't make it. Second year was Junior College and he didn't handle that any better. He's now convinced himself that he is no interest in college and has been working full time. Not really going anywhere yet, but he does go to work every day. I tried....it was a waste, but I can at least say he had a chance. All said and done, he's his Mother's son despite my best efforts. I'm OK that he doesn't want to go to school, but he still has yet to find something that lights a fire in his ass. I've seen this with many of his peers and my step-daughter's friends that are the same age. They're just in nowhere land. I don't get it at all. He does want to move out and not live at home, but has yet to get to the point that he's gotta start making that happen.

My younger son is completely different. He likes school....studies and seems to embrace the work that goes into it.

Kids...ugh :lol:

Is he sharp? If so Id get him in the elevators union or 134.. if hes not.. plumbers union or 399

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:49 pm 

I had no clue about the 3+ot rule change but congrats Doc.

That hurt...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Operator Union is good too! Always wanted to drive a backhoe or front end loader.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
doug - evergreen park wrote:
Operator Union is good too! Always wanted to drive a backhoe or front end loader.

Are those euphemisms?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next