It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Illini
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
I'm happy that Dr. Ken is able to enjoy these recent moments of Illini basketball success before the inevitable disappointment of the NCAA tournament sends him into a tailspin.

The committee could never be so cruel as to put Illinois in the same bracket with Loyola again, could they?

I hope they do so the Illini can pound them by 30.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:06 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
I'm happy that Dr. Ken is able to enjoy these recent moments of Illini basketball success before the inevitable disappointment of the NCAA tournament sends him into a tailspin.

The committee could never be so cruel as to put Illinois in the same bracket with Loyola again, could they?

I hope they do so the Illini can pound them by 30.

shit in one hand, hope in another

7.5 favorites last year with a better team and lost straight up. Loyola is probably not as good either but they have been leaving the big boys in their wake during the tournament for 4 years now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Angie's
good dolphin wrote:
7.5 favorites last year with a better team and lost straight up. Loyola is probably not as good either but they have been leaving the big boys in their wake during the tournament for 4 years now.

You sound a bit like Charles Bronson in the first of his two guest-starring spots in The Virginian. First of all, what level of awesomeness must a show ascend to in order to snag Chuck Bronson not just once, but twice? Ya know?

Second of all, Bronson's character (Ben) was obsessed with beating the "big boys" of the ranching world. His character never achieved Ramblerian heights--his insane drinking habit and bad luck in life (his small herd caught aftosa and had to be destroyed) shamed him in front of his wife and son--but he sure wanted to take down them big boys.

He even spent his emergency money on a prize-winning bull. This tactic worked for Judge Garth, but not for that sad sack Ben.

The tale ends happily, but in the non-TV universe, a universe that doesn't have people like The Virginian or Judge Garth or even Ol' Tommy, Ben would have probably drank hisself to death.

His wife in the show looked like a pretty version of that one comedian...the one who was holding Trump's bloody head on a magazine cover? Red head? Can't think of her name right now.

This episode was an AWP, just in case that turns you on or off.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Trampas Ristorante
Wayne Kerr wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

You sound a bit like Charles Bronson in the first of his two guest-starring spots in The Virginian. First of all, what level of awesomeness must a show ascend to in order to snag Chuck Bronson not just once, but twice? Ya know?

Second of all, Bronson's character (Ben) was obsessed with beating the "big boys" of the ranching world. His character never achieved Ramblerian heights--his insane drinking habit and bad luck in life (his small herd caught aftosa and had to be destroyed) shamed him in front of his wife and son--but he sure wanted to take down them big boys.

He even spent his emergency money on a prize-winning bull. This tactic worked for Judge Garth, but not for that sad sack Ben.

The tale ends happily, but in the non-TV universe, a universe that doesn't have people like The Virginian or Judge Garth or even Ol' Tommy, Ben would have probably drank hisself to death.

His wife in the show looked like a pretty version of that one comedian...the one who was holding Trump's bloody head on a magazine cover? Red head? Can't think of her name right now.

It reminds me of the time the Virginian and I were trying to teach Kofi how to shoot free throws and Brad Underwood got jealous and angry and Kofi almost transferred to Kentucky. Kofi got drunk and had made his decision, but I convinced him to give Coach Underwood another chance. Then we all went over to the Dixon Springs Ag Center to shoot free throws and the cattle that were suffering from hoof and mouth disease.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:09 pm 

Judge Garth wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

It reminds me of the time the Virginian and I were trying to teach Kofi how to shoot free throws and Brad Underwood got jealous and angry and Kofi almost transferred to Kentucky. Kofi got drunk and had made his decision, but I convinced him to give Coach Underwood another chance. Then we all went over to the Dixon Springs Ag Center to shoot free throws and the cattle that were suffering from hoof and mouth disease.

You guys together would run the best damn ranch on either side of the Mississippi. I am dead serious.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:01 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Not a fan of retiring Dosunmu’s jersey.

I think he deserves it.

But it is more of a genius recruiting move.

He's a Chicago guy, doing well for the Bulls, and celebrating the Illini. That's how you do it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:06 pm 

It is definitely a PR recruiting move.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:17 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
RFDC wrote:

It's both. 2x First-team Big-Ten, 1st Team All-American, led team to a B10 Championship and #1 seed in the tournament, turned the program around.

The timing of it is recruiting-based.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
"Led team to a #1 seed in the tournament."

Talk about omitting the key details.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:53 pm 

Wayne Kerr wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Oak Park's own Cathy Griffen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
good dolphin wrote:

Oak Park's own Cathy Griffen

Greg Giraldo wrote:

Thank you Tranny Bonaduce!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:57 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:

You don't get to my position in life without omitting key details.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:08 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
RFDC wrote:

It's both. 2x First-team Big-Ten, 1st Team All-American, led team to a B10 Championship and #1 seed in the tournament, turned the program around.

He was a really good player at Illinois, but no one gets their jersey retired that quickly. It is a PR move.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:43 pm 

RFDC wrote:
RFDC wrote:

He was a really good player at Illinois, but no one gets their jersey retired that quickly. It is a PR move.

I'm fine with that.

Won't argue. He probably would have gotten it eventually.

Still great for recruiting. We are saying the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:15 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:

I got my first job by answering the question "Do you have computer skills?"...with "I took programming in college".

It's all true to this point.

I took PASCAL programming. They needed me to use Lotus 1-2-3 (yeah, yeah...I'm old).

Never used Lotus prior to that. I took the PASCAL class.

Taught myself Lotus on the job and excelled because I'm Dr. Ken.

Taught myself WYSIWYG as a bonus on the job just cause I'm Dr. Ken and that how I roll.

And now you all have to deal with me.

Go Illini!!

UofI teaches you how to learn on the fly - use your deductive skills.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:50 am 

Andre Curbelo:

Mike DeCourcy wrote:
I think precisely how memorable March will be for the Illini depends, at least somewhat, on the availability of point guard Andre Curbelo and how effectively he and the team can make up for the time he has missed.

The Illini have been a very good team without their point guard, but I still believe a full-strength Andre Curbelo is the most dynamic and impactful playmaker in NCAA basketball. His ability to set up teammates, to drive into defenses and disarm them — it’s a rare skill.

It’s so uncommon that the longer Illinois plays without him, the more difficult it will be to reset their approach when he returns.

I believed they would be one of the best teams in the nation at full strength. Their recent performances while playing without one of their top talents shows how high the ceiling can be.

247 Sports wrote:
Andre Curbelo may have taken a significant step forward in his process to return to the court. BTN play-by-play man Cory Provus said during the broadcast of the Illini’s 76-53 rout of Minnesota that Curbelo — who has missed the last eight games with complications from a concussion — during Tuesday’s shootaround “was up-and-down on the floor, working five-on-five” and that Curbelo played the role of Gophers lead guard Peyton Willis during scout-team drills. Provus said it was “encouraging news” for Curbelo though that there is no timeline yet for the Illini sophomore guard’s return.

When asked about Provus’ report on the broadcast, Illinois coach Brad Underwood said: “Most of that starts with conditioning. I’m one of those guys that I don’t ever want to put a player in position to fail or to get hurt again by not being in good shape and not being back. So his biggest strides right now are coming with the conditioning piece and just trying to get back as close as he can not just in game shape but in basketball shape. There was a time frame where he was off and you lose that. We’ll bring him back accordingly as his conditioning goes and as his situation continues to improve.”

Background: Curbelo (9.3 points, 5.5 assists and 4.3 rebounds in four games this season) won Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year last season as a true freshman after averaging 9.1 points, 4.2 assists and 4.0 rebounds. Expected to take on an even bigger role with Dosunmu moving to the NBA, Curbelo earned Preseason All-Big Ten Honors and some outlets even voted him as a Preseason All-American.

Why it matters: Bringing back Andre Curbelo — even in potentially an off-the-bench, smaller role to start — would be like the Illini making a blockbuster acquisition for the stretch run. Curbelo is a dynamic playmaker in both transition and in the half-court and also is a strong rebounder. While he would need to make sure he doesn’t disrupt the Illini’s great offensive flow, his talent undoubtedly makes Illinois an even more formidable contender in the Big Ten — and nationally.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:46 pm 

What an interesting game.

That was the first time I've seen Kofi get gassed all year. He still got 16 & 13 and dominated every aspect of the game while he was in but he was clearly tired at the end and got 2 cheap ones late just from being tired.

Payne finally showed why he was a top recruit. That was good to see. Nice play. Active and productive. If he can do that, we're in good shape.

But it was Trent Frazier Day. That guy is the best defensive backcourt player in the country. He really is. He is so quick to keep himself squared up in front of a guy driving on him. And, if you're thinking "Dr. Ken is being Dr. Ken", the guy All-B10 D-Team last year. He hasn't gotten worse.

And he threw up 29 & 5 assists, while guys were actively trying to block his free throws and not getting called for it.

Great grinder B10 game on the road.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:57 pm 

Payne finally showed why he was a top recruit.

About time. Also agree with you on Frazier. They sure as hell have veteran leadership.

Last year's win at Nebraska was also relatively close. But always good to win Kerouac style in the Big Ten.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:03 pm 

Wayne Kerr wrote:

About time. Also agree with you on Frazier. They sure as hell have veteran leadership.

Last year's win at Nebraska was also relatively close. But always good to win Kerouac style in the Big Ten.

If they get Payne going....well...you'll know he is when you see the first House of Payne t-shirt.

They will need him against Purdue.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Tall Midget wrote:

I got my first job by answering the question "Do you have computer skills?"...with "I took programming in college".

I took PASCAL programming. They needed me to use Lotus 1-2-3 (yeah, yeah...I'm old).

Taught myself WYSIWYG as a bonus on the job just cause I'm Dr. Ken and that how I roll.

Go Illini!!

I also cut my teeth on Lotus 123.

I have not been as successful as Dr. Ken.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:46 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
I have not been as successful as Dr. Ken.

Nor have I.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:56 pm 

Wayne Kerr wrote:

If they get Payne going....well...you'll know he is when you see the first House of Payne t-shirt.

They will need him against Purdue.

I have a House of Paign shirt. Wear it once a year when I go to a game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:54 am 

W
But it was Trent Frazier Day. That guy is the best defensive backcourt player in the country. He really is. He is so quick to keep himself squared up in front of a guy driving on him. And, if you're thinking "Dr. Ken is being Dr. Ken", the guy All-B10 D-Team last year. He hasn't gotten worse..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:05 am 

Best defensive player in the country and one of the best scorers, man the Illini should win the championship this year.

Forget Purdue, it is the Illini's year

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Tall Midget wrote:

Go Illini!!

We’re you a couple of years too young for the PLATO computers? I also took useless programming in Champaign. I bought a mail-order VHS tape to learn Lotus. Interestingly, many of the original commands (like formatting cells) still work in Excel.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:21 am 

RFDC wrote:
Best defensive player in the country and one of the best scorers, man the Illini should win the championship this year.

I've already waived the white flag. Just hoping for a split.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:22 am 

RFDC wrote:

Maybe they will.

But both of those opinions on those players can be defended.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:22 am 

RFDC wrote:

Maybe they will.

But both of those opinions on those players can be defended.

Defended by someone with Orange and blue glasses on.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:35 am 

Kofi is clearly one of the best scorers in the country. That just takes the ability to read a leader chart.

It is not a stretch to say that one of the top 2 defensive players in one of the top 2 conferences in the country would potentially be the best backcourt defender a year later. If anything, he didn't get worse.

So, I'll concede he just might only be as excellent as last year.

I know you don't a crap about any of this but I feel the need to express when I'm giving a real opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:27 am 

So, I'll concede he just might only be as excellent as last year.

He's significantly better than last year in terms of shooting, footwork in the paint, and defense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next