It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3069 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 103  Next
 Post subject: Re: STORMWATCH 2022!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:55 pm 

We have had ice coming down off and on for about 20 hours now, it looks miserable outside. I haven't even opened my door, fuck it, I am not falling on my fat ass. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:08 pm 

Normally i would make fun of you hawg, but its brutal out there. The drive in was 30min of driving on black ice... Going home is going to be worse. Take the backroads that are likely around 20mph? Or take the freeway thats bound to get blocked by accident at any moment?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:37 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Normally i would make fun of you hawg, but its brutal out there. The drive in was 30min of driving on black ice... Going home is going to be worse. Take the backroads that are likely around 20mph? Or take the freeway thats bound to get blocked by accident at any moment?

I am in a training class now, but I am going to the bar after, screw it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:44 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
3 inches of lake effect fluffy snow this morning. 40 minutes to clear the driveway and felt like being a nice guy so I did the sidewalk for neighbors on either side. Hopefully it will go away soon. I actually started to believe I was going to get out to golf in early March. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:28 am 

I thought I read that the average last snowfall in Chicago is sometime in mid March and the latest was mid May. We are lucky to have St. Patrick's Day and NCAA fun or March would be a suicidal month.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
In SE Wisconsin we are over 20 inches below average for snow this season. Pretty wild. As you mention though, we could catch up in just a few weeks if we got unlucky.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:01 am 

T-Bone wrote:
In SE Wisconsin we are over 20 inches below average for snow this season. Pretty wild. As you mention though, we could catch up in just a few weeks if we got unlucky.

5-10 years ago it snowed at least a foot 2 days before I was driving down to NOLA during my kid's spring break

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I know March 21st of 92 there was a 9 inch storm as I was trapped at O’hare over night. Big snows aren’t uncommon in March for sure though. They just melt off fast usually. The flip side of that is it’s also that widow maker snow usually.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
6 am.....my son got hit on his way to work. Some clown in a pickup truck came blazing Rt. 45, lost control, and swerved into his lane.

He's fine....car probably not so much.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Ugh

Yeah, when I was coming home from bowling last night, people were driving like complete assholes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Last week all I hear is about a huge storm coming and we get an inch. Yesterday is a winter advisory and there's four inches on the drive-way and Route 176 is a death trap...

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:38 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hope your kid is alright, W72. Also hope the lady driving the truck got a ticket.

Maybe 2" down my way. Could have use the leaf blower to clear the driveway it was so fluffy. Thats the kind of snow I want on Christmas next year.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:38 am 

We got a good inches up by me, and it actually looks nice, we just haven't had any snow this year.

knocks on wood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
wow it snowed.... in chicagoland/wisc? in february? breaking news!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
https://us.yahoo.com/news/historic-blizzard-likely-severe-storms-161609105.html

Historic blizzard likely as severe storms threaten millions for 4th week in a row

For the fourth week in a row, the continental United States will experience a multi-day severe weather outbreak. However, compared to the last three weeks, this severe episode will be different for a couple reasons.

First, it will affect areas farther north, stretching into the Central Plains, Upper Midwest and Great Lakes, which have not hit by the other outbreaks.

For this reason, the event this week will affect a much larger population than the previous outbreaks, including cities like St. Louis and Chicago, which have not yet experienced the severe storms.

The second reason is the event this week will also be more complex than the others, with several factors that could complicate the forecast in terms of storm placement, leading to lower confidence forecast overall compared to the other events.

On Monday, 13 million people will be under the risk for severe storms across the Southern Plains to Tennessee River Valley. Storms that ignite during the afternoon and evening hours will be capable of very large hail (baseball to softball sized), strong winds and a couple tornadoes. Cities at risk include Dallas, Little Rock and Memphis.

A complicating factor on Monday will be the strength of a “cap” that could inhibit storm formation through much of the day. A "cap" is a warm layer of air aloft that can suppress storm formation. It is possible the cap holds strong enough to prevent storms across northern Texas and southern Oklahoma, in particular. However, should the cap break, storms will be explosive and capable of destructive hail. The best chance for storms Monday and Monday night will be for areas with a weaker cap in place, such as central and northern Arkansas.

On Tuesday, 39 million are under the risk for severe storms along a 1,000 mile stretch from southern Minnesota to the Gulf Coast. Very large hail and a few strong tornadoes are the greatest risks. Cities to watch include Des Moines, Iowa, Kansas City, Missouri, Wichita, Kansas, Tulsa and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Little Rock, Arkansas, Dallas, Shreveport and Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Austin, Texas, and Houston.

Storms are expected to continue into the overnight hours Tuesday into Wednesday.

A complicating factor for Tuesday's storms will once again be the strong cap in place. This means that it is unlikely storms will stretch in a continuous line over the entire 1,000 mile risk area, but instead could be in broken clusters across the risk area. As of now, the area at greatest concern for the most widespread severe storms and strong tornadoes is across southern Minnesota, Iowa and northern Missouri.

Fast storm motions and the severe weather persisting after dark will compound the danger level of this set up.

By Wednesday, 62 million are under the risk for severe storms from the Great Lakes to the Gulf Coast including the cities of Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, Shreveport, Birmingham, Jackson and New Orleans.

Strong tornadoes, very large hail and damaging winds will once again be possible.

Wednesday is the day when storms are most likely to affect the areas that were hit by the last three outbreaks. Storms will also continue overnight into Thursday morning.

The complicating factor for Wednesday’s severe storms will be widespread morning convection that could muddy the forecast and impact coverage and evolution of storms later in the day.

And as severe thunderstorms rage across the regions mentioned above, a crippling and potentially historic blizzard will be blanketing parts of the northern Plains and Upper Midwest.

This northern side of the storm system will feature a powerful snowstorm, capable of producing up to 2 feet of snow (isolated spots could see up to 30 inches of snow) and wind gusts to 50 mph. This will lead to impossible to life-threatening travel and could be damaging to crops and livestock.

Winter alerts were already up on Monday morning, stretching from the Pacific Northwest coast to the arrowhead of Minnesota. These included blizzard warnings for portions of Montana and the Dakotas.

On Monday it was already setting records across the Pacific Northwest with rare April snow falling in Portland:

The snow is forecast to spread into the Rockies and northern Plains by Tuesday and last through Wednesday.

A large swath of 6 to 12 inches of snow will be possible, with locally higher amounts of 18 to 24 inches possible across Montana and the Dakotas. These snow totals could be record-setting and historic for some areas:

In Bismarck, North Dakota, the largest April snowstorm is 17.8 inches set back in 2013. They are currently forecast to pick up 15 to 20 inches.

For Glendive, Montana, their total snow for this storm is expected to be around 13 inches. This would tie their previous 3-day record set back in 1896.

And if that wasn't enough, the areas not affected by heavy snow or severe thunderstorms will be contending with high fire danger and strong winds.

On Monday, 12 million people were under Red Flag Warnings across the central and southern Plains. While fire danger Monday will be elevated to critical, a wildfire outbreak will be possible Tuesday when winds will be strongest. Wind gusts 50-60 mph combined with low humidity and temperatures in the 90s will lead to rapid fire ignition and spread.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
About to get slammed up here with the type of blizzard we haven’t seen in over 4 years.

Fortunately, I get to leave work when it starts to get bad, and won’t have to camp out on pad or at a hotel.

Wife is 38 weeks pregnant.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:40 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Jbi11s wrote:
About to get slammed up here with the type of blizzard we haven’t seen in over 4 years.

Fortunately, I get to leave work when it starts to get bad, and won’t have to camp out on pad or at a hotel.

Talk about burying the lede.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:45 pm 

LoL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Darkside wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Talk about burying the lede.

That sounds a bit perverse.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:56 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Congrats B$ills

Who is the father?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:57 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Caller Bob wrote:
Congrats B$ills

Who is the father?

:lol: nice

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:15 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Congrats B$ills

Who is the father?

Your mom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Jbi11s wrote:

Worrisome. Check youtube for "delivering a baby."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:26 am 

Jbi11s wrote:

does she know the father?

Anyway, Congratulations...on getting to leave early.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
https://us.yahoo.com/news/historic-blizzard-likely-severe-storms-161609105.html

Historic blizzard likely as severe storms threaten millions for 4th week in a row

A large swath of 6 to 12 inches of snow will be possible, with locally higher amounts of 18 to 24 inches possible across Montana and the Dakotas. These snow totals could be record-setting and historic for some areas:

In Bismarck, North Dakota, the largest April snowstorm is 17.8 inches set back in 2013. They are currently forecast to pick up 15 to 20 inches.

For Glendive, Montana, their total snow for this storm is expected to be around 13 inches. This would tie their previous 3-day record set back in 1896.

And if that wasn't enough, the areas not affected by heavy snow or severe thunderstorms will be contending with high fire danger and strong winds.

On Monday, 12 million people were under Red Flag Warnings across the central and southern Plains. While fire danger Monday will be elevated to critical, a wildfire outbreak will be possible Tuesday when winds will be strongest. Wind gusts 50-60 mph combined with low humidity and temperatures in the 90s will lead to rapid fire ignition and spread.

Move

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:49 pm 

What a crap time for a storm in the northern plains. Folks calving are going to have a long few nights.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
What a crap time for a storm in the northern plains. Folks calving are going to have a long few nights.

That was my first thought also.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:06 pm 

There’s always some sort of snow storm in April or early May up here.

A blizzard this late is a rarity tho.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Monsooning here in DG.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:33 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
There’s always some sort of snow storm in April or early May up here.

A blizzard this late is a rarity tho.

The folks I know in the industry in that area are pretty glum about it. This is well beyond the normal but not unheard of as you say. I think there was one 6 years ago that they are referencing and then prior to that one in 97. 96-97 was a brutal winter out there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3069 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 103  Next