It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elon musk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:20 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think you're confusing the app with some of the people that use it. That's no different than blaming guns for murder.
There is no distinction between the app and the people that use it because the addictive nature of it is built into it from the very start. The cigarettes analogy is the better one. Literally everything about the app is designed to get you addicted. How many likes did this person get? How many retweets did this person get? Let's read the comments to see how this person is being treated? It's a social scoring system where the most extreme thoughts are often rewarded. You see people start get to get twitter fame based on the fact that they get a lot of likes, retweets, comments. You see people get retweeted by Justin Timberlake, or put on Fox News or CNN or a sports show. For many, the natural next step is to try and have your tweets go the same way.

If you look at how Twitter operates, the entire operation is designed to get you addicted to it. You don't even know most of the people with whom you are reading/reacting/interacting with on it which is a major difference from Facebook. Twitter is a collection of people who are addicted to getting mad at each other online, and finding people who are very likely to get mad at people online with them, and breaking NBA news.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The thing that made Twitter a killer app was that it put your voice on par with the voices of Joy Reid and Tucker Carlson. And that's exactly what the erstwhile gatekeepers of information could not and cannot countenance. Twitter undermined itself with the blue check system. That was really the beginning of its downfall.

The most powerful people are terrified that Musk will return it to its original promise. I'm not sure if he can or if he will, but one thing I'm certain about- it won't be worse than it is now.

By the way, you can thank drunken Tony LaRussa for the blue checks.
No one really cares though. Twitter was, and still, is dominated by people who are popular on twitter because they have a job that elevates them. Of course some random person on their lunch break can tweet "If Disney really wanted to protect kids from danger they would stop forcing parents to spend $12 on a hot dog at the parks" and get it trending and retweeted by Kid Rock but it will be forgotten in a couple hours anyways.

Twitter has the chance to be an efficient information sharing service but it's just pretending to be that anyways as virtually every feature is designed to trigger an emotional response under the guise of information sharing to get you more and more addicted to it. In the short term, it may make you feel better, but like any other addiction, it takes a long term toll and becomes very difficult to break out of.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:26 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Twitter is communication. Do you consider communication akin to smoking? The issue here is that you aren't a very deep thinker. Everything is either bad or good. Twitter is a just a quick way to share information. Are text messages evil? It's a website that broadcasts text messages.
Now this is a laughably simplistic take if I've ever seen one.

Twitter was designed from the ground up to be addictive. I can go into as much detail about the process as you would like but you'll just use your standard line of never saying anything of interest while somehow acting like I'm the one without an interesting thought.

It's just a website on the Internet. Do you consider the Internet to be "bad"? Nearly everything you say about Twitter was said about the Internet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:29 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
If you think Twitter is bad and addictive, Tik Tok may be worse. Watching the youngins flip through videos is mind numbing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:30 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Brick wrote:
Twitter is communication. Do you consider communication akin to smoking? The issue here is that you aren't a very deep thinker. Everything is either bad or good. Twitter is a just a quick way to share information. Are text messages evil? It's a website that broadcasts text messages.

Twitter was designed from the ground up to be addictive. I can go into as much detail about the process as you would like but you'll just use your standard line of never saying anything of interest while somehow acting like I'm the one without an interesting thought.

It's just a website on the Internet. Do you consider the Internet to be "bad"? Nearly everything you say about Twitter was said about the Internet.

He's bricking you, Brick.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:32 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Brick wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

Last edited by The Missing Link on Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:38 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
denisdman wrote:
If you think Twitter is bad and addictive, Tik Tok may be worse. Watching the youngins flip through videos is mind numbing.

I think a lot of kids are using TikTok to gather information or for testimonials.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:44 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Nas wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I think a lot of kids are using TikTok to gather information or for testimonials.

Lol okay.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:48 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Elon needs to bring back OG message boards like this one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:57 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think you're confusing the app with some of the people that use it. That's no different than blaming guns for murder.

The thing that made Twitter a killer app was that it put your voice on par with the voices of Joy Reid and Tucker Carlson. And that's exactly what the erstwhile gatekeepers of information could not and cannot countenance. Twitter undermined itself with the blue check system. That was really the beginning of its downfall.

The most powerful people are terrified that Musk will return it to its original promise. I'm not sure if he can or if he will, but one thing I'm certain about- it won't be worse than it is now.

twitter is what you make of it. when it came out, social media was just starting to meme itself and twitter made it easier to blabber out thoughts. but what made it dangerous was the power it was given by the media. twitter has no context, so the content can be taken the wrong way or misconstrued. i have no sympathy for the people who abuse it because they will hypocritically cry victim while at the same time go after people the same way (i.e. taylor lorenz).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:07 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
denisdman wrote:

TikTok has proved an excellent tool for outing groomers.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:33 am 

Nas wrote:
denisdman wrote:

They are using TikTok for social approval (likes). People are measuring their worth by how many likes a video gets.

It's teaching them you can be talented and get 100 likes or shake your butt or bounce your tits and go viral.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:41 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Juiced wrote:

It's teaching them you can be talented and get 100 likes or shake your butt or bounce your tits and go viral.

not seeing what the issue is here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
SpiralStairs wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:59 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

+1

I just don't see the superiority of outlets like Twitter or even an intermezzo like Reddit over message boards in respect to actual social networking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:14 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

+1

I just don't see the superiority of outlets like Twitter or even an intermezzo like Reddit over message boards in respect to actual social networking.

Yeah, you can actually have a discussion/conversation on boards like this. The problem is really just monetization, in that it doesn't work as well if it gets too big.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
I don't use Twitter for social networking. I use it to follow news, sports and a variety of topics that I am interested in. If you follow the right people, you're typically ahead of the game when it comes to breaking news and sports stories.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Augie wrote:
If you follow the right people, you're typically ahead of the game when it comes to breaking news and sports stories.

Goff ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:48 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
These shitheads are all just like Julie or Taylor Lorenz. They try to destroy people and when they get pushback they start blubbering like infants.

Twitter's Head Censor sees her power evaporating so she cries like a baby.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
If a million idiots convert their U.S. Dollars to shitcoins just because a dope-smoking billionaire tweets out a photo of a Shiba Inu, I'm not sure that's really what I would call "manipulation."

He did the same thing with Bitcoin.

I have a friend who uses Signal as his messaging app because Musk said he should. I don't really think it's Musk's fault that goofs hang on his every word.

It's what we do as Americans. Especially when the wealthy guy is a great salesman.

Like Bill Gates and "vaccines"...

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
KD (not the local one) and JORR, Twitter bros.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Brick, there's a documentary on netflix (I think it's netflix) about how Facebook, Twitter, Instagram... those kinds of apps and how they were specifically designed to become addictive. Facebook was the worst of the bunch from what I recall. They had ex employees and designers talking about how they made it addictive on purpose and what it's done to society, specifically teenagers.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:27 am 

Darkside wrote:
Brick, there's a documentary on netflix (I think it's netflix) about how Facebook, Twitter, Instagram... those kinds of apps and how they were specifically designed to become addictive. Facebook was the worst of the bunch from what I recall. They had ex employees and designers talking about how they made it addictive on purpose and what it's done to society, specifically teenagers.

I've been meaning to watch that.

I think we'll look back at the age of social media and wonder why everyone used it just like we do with smoking, asbestos, or MLB now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
yeah those algorithms are wicked. specifically crafted to show you shit that upsets you so youre more likely to interact longer debating and reading more about it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Brick wrote:

It's not simplistic Brick. You just aren't very smart. It's how you came up with the only possible reason to explain outcomes between people of different races is racism. I'm glad you were moved by the very deep documentary the Social Dilemma though. It's made to be addictive. You are the product! That's the entire Internet.

Twitter is a communication medium. The idea that it's just like cigarettes is frankly so stupid that it's no longer a good faith argument. You would be lamenting movable type or proclaiming that printing the Bible in the vernacular was a sin had you been alive in the 15th century.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:42 pm 

Brick wrote:

It's not simplistic Brick. You just aren't very smart. It's how you came up with the only possible reason to explain outcomes between people of different races is racism. I'm glad you were moved by the very deep documentary the Social Dilemma though. It's made to be addictive. You are the product! That's the entire Internet.

Twitter is a communication medium. The idea that it's just like cigarettes is frankly so stupid that it's no longer a good faith argument. You would be lamenting movable type or proclaiming that printing the Bible in the vernacular was a sin had you been alive in the 15th century.

Try again but make a point this time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:42 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:

687 are enough.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I will put it into terms you can understand. Social media isn't bad. It isn't going away either. There can be negative consequences to it, but that's truth of nearly everything.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:57 pm 

I will put it into terms you can understand. Social media isn't bad. It isn't going away either. There can be negative consequences to it, but that's truth of nearly everything.

Good post, Brick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:19 pm 

I didn't know you were such a fan of social media. You are welcome to your opinion even though I'm pretty sure you've done plenty of complaining about social media and big tech too.

I don't think it will go away just like cigarettes won't go away but that was never my point.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:42 pm 

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
yeah those algorithms are wicked. specifically crafted to show you shit that upsets you so youre more likely to interact longer debating and reading more about it.

That's why I was (and still am) surprised that the Tribune and other news outlets canceled the comments sections. I think people stayed on the site way longer reading and responding to comments than they did the actually articles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 39  Next