It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:31 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Do Arkansas schools even have grades higher than 1st?

They have now gotten to the point of having all 12 years, lots of progress made.

I just read that Arkansas students are far ahead of their New York counterparts due to the lockdowns. It should be interesting in a few years when the barefoot children of Hillbilly Pete are shoving the children of the East Coast grandees out of the way.

Adding the 7th thru the 12th grades over the last 5 years has really proven to be beneficial.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Tall Midget wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Battle Ask wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
I've said this many times here, but it is worth restating: Many school or workplace shooters are severely bullied/ostracized prior to becoming violent. Mark Ames details this phenomenon in his very interesting book, Going Postal. He also links the rise of Reagan/neoliberalism with a sharp increase in mass shootings. The book is definitely worth checking out.

Its been roundly dismissed b/c of statements like this:

“Rage as we know it today did not exist when Ronald Reagan took power in 1981.”

make sense

He's pointing out that mass shooting as a form of rage wasn't a common phenomenon prior to the neoliberal era.

Try harder, coward.

Something something causality correlation.

Have you read the book?

Yes and it has been dismissed rightly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Battle Ask wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Battle Ask wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
I've said this many times here, but it is worth restating: Many school or workplace shooters are severely bullied/ostracized prior to becoming violent. Mark Ames details this phenomenon in his very interesting book, Going Postal. He also links the rise of Reagan/neoliberalism with a sharp increase in mass shootings. The book is definitely worth checking out.

Its been roundly dismissed b/c of statements like this:

“Rage as we know it today did not exist when Ronald Reagan took power in 1981.”

make sense

He's pointing out that mass shooting as a form of rage wasn't a common phenomenon prior to the neoliberal era.

Try harder, coward.

Something something causality correlation.

Have you read the book?

Yes and it has been dismissed rightly

Why? What are the specific flaws in the argument?

Edit: Incidentally, the book has been cited in at least 60 academic publications and many other non-refereed publications. If this is what you call being "dismissed rightly," you may be having difficulty with the English language.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Tall Midget wrote:

In the summer of 1908, There was a player named Dick Nose Herzog and on the 4th of July, fans would bring guns to the game and shoot them above into the grandstand roof. Now we pee ourselves if we're called the wrong pronoun.

Thanks a lot, Reagan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

In the summer of 1908, There was a player named Dick Nose Herzog and on the 4th of July, fans would bring guns to the game and shoot them above into the grandstand roof. Now we pee ourselves if we're called the wrong pronoun.

Thanks a lot, Reagan.

Attempting to position ignorance as a form of knowledge is quite the rhetorical feat.

Read the book before spouting off about the book.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I just read that Arkansas students are far ahead of their New York counterparts.

No you haven't.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Tall Midget wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Thanks a lot, Reagan.

Attempting to position ignorance as a form of knowledge is quite the rhetorical feat.

I haven’t read the book so obviously I cannot criticize its theories. I would say the timing coincides with the rise of video gaming. Maybe the book addresses that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
denisdman wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Thanks a lot, Reagan.

I haven’t read the book so obviously I cannot criticize its theories. I would say the timing coincides with the rise of video gaming. Maybe the book addresses that.

What about the glorification of violence in the 80s best evidenced by widespread adoration of the ‘85 Bears’ defense, a group best known for laying the wood on fools? Does Ames go into that?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:38 pm 

Steel curtain and purple people eaters silly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

denisdman wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Thanks a lot, Reagan.

As I'm sure you are aware, many studies have investigated a potential link between violent video games and violent adolescent behavior. No clear connection has been established.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Tall Midget wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Thanks a lot, Reagan.

As I'm sure you are aware, many studies have investigated a potential link between violent video games and violent adolescent behavior. No clear connection has been established.

Michael Moore addressed this in Bowling For Columbine. American News.....that's the correlation.

ok....I'm sure we can point out at least correlations
- American News (sensationalism and politicization)
- Breakdown of the Family unit
- Video Games
- Social Media
- Cable TV
-....and yes....the Reagan administration
- Widening of the income gap

All of these are valid discussions. I'm not discounting the book...certain things happened during the Reagan administration that correlate, but there are other factors outside of that era.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
The violent video games thing seems like total horseshit.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:

Pretty much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:11 pm 

Darkside wrote:

If the time frame is early 80’s, then I was just point out the timing. But yeah maybe it’s the Gipper….

Who the fuck knows. I need to read the book.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Hawg Ass wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Hussra wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
I recently saw a story about a 12-year-old Colorado middle schooler who didn't get any yearbook signatures.

Since when do 7th graders have yearbooks? The only yearbook worth buying when I was in school
was your Senior year yearbook. We didn't even have yearbooks prior to high school. fucking weirdos in Colorado.
No wonder their kids shoot up the place on the regular.

Herrick gave us yearbooks. Belle Aire even did it for 6th grade. My middle school in AZ did it too. All free.

Hell I have them going all the way back to 1st grade.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:13 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Pretty much.

I remember when everyone freaked out about how Doom was causing violence and Satan worship and when mortal kombat made kids murderous thugs. Looking at those games now is just hilarious at how cheesy they are.
Tipper Gore is a fraud.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
BigW72 wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Thanks a lot, Reagan.

Michael Moore addressed this in Bowling For Columbine. American News.....that's the correlation.

ok....I'm sure we can point out at least correlations
- American News (sensationalism and politicization)
- Breakdown of the Family unit
- Video Games
- Social Media
- Cable TV
-....and yes....the Reagan administration
- Widening of the income gap

All of these are valid discussions. I'm not discounting the book...certain things happened during the Reagan administration that correlate, but there are other factors outside of that era.

I think social media is one of the bigger factors. A lot of these kids stream the actual shooting on Twitch, Facebook Live, etc.

When these things happen, I always think back to Rupert Pumpkin saying, "I'd rather be a king for a day than a schmuck for life."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ron Wolfley wrote:
I think social media is one of the bigger factors. A lot of these kids stream the actual shooting on Twitch, Facebook Live, etc.

When these things happen, I always think back to Rupert Pumpkin saying, "I'd rather be a king for a day than a schmuck for life."

Doesn't fit the timeline. Mass shootings started to spike in the 80s, prior to social media or the internet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:25 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

Doesn't fit the timeline. Mass shootings started to spike in the 80s, prior to social media or the internet.

Maybe it's asshole boomers raising entitled shitheads who can't tolerate being told no or that they're not some super special specimen of nature.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:27 pm 

Hmm no ebook for Going Postal….oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

Maybe it's asshole boomers raising entitled shitheads who can't tolerate being told no or that they're not some super special specimen of nature.

:lol: :lol:

I'll allow it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Darkside wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Pretty much.

I remember when everyone freaked out about how Doom was causing violence and Satan worship and when mortal kombat made kids murderous thugs. Looking at those games now is just hilarious at how cheesy they are.
Tipper Gore is a fraud.

It was Doom. It was Grand Theft Auto. It was rap music. It was social media. It was everybody gets a participation ribbon. It was JNCOs and Goth clothing/culture. It was a mental health problem in this country.

Why is it never the guns? Why is it never easy and frequent access to highly efficient killing machines?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:55 pm 

Frank wrote:
Why is it never the guns? Why is it never easy and frequent access to highly efficient killing machines?

Probably because that's kind of dumb. Its a bit of a meme now but guns don't kill people. You have to have someone who has a sick enough mind to be willing to blow people away. You know how many of those guns are out there? Close to 10 million. You know how many have been used for nefarious crimes? A dozen? Maybe two dozen? The problem isn't the gun. It's the sick fuck who kills people for whatever sick reason they do it for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:05 pm 

Darrell E. Brooks killed one less and injured 15 more at a similar parade without the use of a "highly efficient killing machine". It's the mind and the sicko that kills people.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:07 pm 

For the record I have no use for these AR style weapons. I think they're useless for personal protection, a poor choice for home protection, of no value at all in hunting. I don't see their purpose at all. I'm fine with another assault weapon ban.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Darkside wrote:
Probably because that's kind of dumb. Its a bit of a meme now but guns don't kill people. You have to have someone who has a sick enough mind to be willing to blow people away. You know how many of those guns are out there? Close to 10 million. You know how many have been used for nefarious crimes? A dozen? Maybe two dozen? The problem isn't the gun. It's the sick fuck who kills people for whatever sick reason they do it for.

Frankly this is rather stupid. You give me a "sick" person without a gun in his hands and chances are he ain't killing anyone. He damn sure isn't likely toshoot or kill a vast number of people in a short amount of time that's for sure.
And if guns didn't "kill people" (as you repeatedly assert) then there would be no reason for people to carry them in the first place.
A "sick mind" with a semi automatic gun in his hands is a helluva lot more dangerous than he would be without it. To suggest otherwise is rather irresponsible and quite frankly dumb to be honest.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:20 am 

Still one of my all time favorite ancillary movie characters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:52 am 

kids don't just play video games anymore. they practically live in them. it's believable that their concept of reality diminishes with all that. but they shouldn't be allowed (by their parents) to indulge that way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:56 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Do Arkansas schools even have grades higher than 1st?

They have now gotten to the point of having all 12 years, lots of progress made.

I just read that Arkansas students are far ahead of their New York counterparts due to the lockdowns. It should be interesting in a few years when the barefoot children of Hillbilly Pete are shoving the children of the East Coast grandees out of the way.

Adding the 7th thru the 12th grades over the last 5 years has really proven to be beneficial.

they found it easy to go to up to 20 grades, as the lack of shoes makes it simple to count to that number

They can go to 21 when warshing in the crick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:04 am 

pizza_Place: John's
denisdman wrote:
Still one of my all time favorite ancillary movie characters.

Trying to reach the green from here, Shooter?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next