It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 146  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:02 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I saw some things that gave me a little hope from Fields in the 2nd half. Lance looks unbelievably raw. Like he's still a couple of years away.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Clawmaster wrote:
He's a chuck and duck guy, only likes pocket passers and hates mobile guys like Fields.

He also sees TE's as extra OT's, same guy that convinced them to trade Greg Olson, his offense worked because he stumbled upon HOF HC, QB, OT, WR, and RB, also had a second WR that is borderline HOF, it was a rare gathering of offensive talent.

Still remember watching elderly Buddy Ryan punch another chuck and duck guy Kevin Gilbride, those type OC's tend to think they reinvented the wheel, but there is a reason you do not see every NFL team running their offenses.

Think I heard he is working on a book, so likely trying to get his name out there to sell books.

I agree Martz is rigid and out of touch. However I think it's lazy thinking to dismiss his success because he had "HOF" talent. This is the same thing that's said of Phil Jackson and others and it's equally as wrong. All of Martz's players at the time were not hall of famers. His QB most recently bagged your carrots and milk at the local Dominick's. Holt was a rookie and Bruce was good but had never seen team success. Faulk was a legit stud. Like Jackson, Martz found a way to optimize all of their talents in a way that they hadn't collectively done before. While Martz is arrogant and unfair, you can't take what he accomplished away from him.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:18 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
He's a chuck and duck guy, only likes pocket passers and hates mobile guys like Fields.

He also sees TE's as extra OT's, same guy that convinced them to trade Greg Olson, his offense worked because he stumbled upon HOF HC, QB, OT, WR, and RB, also had a second WR that is borderline HOF, it was a rare gathering of offensive talent.

Still remember watching elderly Buddy Ryan punch another chuck and duck guy Kevin Gilbride, those type OC's tend to think they reinvented the wheel, but there is a reason you do not see every NFL team running their offenses.

Think I heard he is working on a book, so likely trying to get his name out there to sell books.

I agree Martz is rigid and out of touch. However I think it's lazy thinking to dismiss his success because he had "HOF" talent. This is the same thing that's said of Phil Jackson and others and it's equally as wrong. All of Martz's players at the time were not hall of famers. His QB most recently bagged your carrots and milk at the local Dominick's. Holt was a rookie and Bruce was good but had never seen team success. Faulk was a legit stud. Like Jackson, Martz found a way to optimize all of their talents in a way that they hadn't collectively done before. While Martz is arrogant and unfair, you can't take what he accomplished away from him.

You cannot. However, he was clearly a system guy. Once the league caught up to him, he didn't adjust and went the way of the dinosaur. So he did have that moment in time of genius but that was a long time ago and didn't qualify him as a modern expert on QB play

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:21 am 

Don't disagree at all and I didn't suggest he's relevant today either. His rigidity and lack of humility was his undoing. A smarter person knows when he's been checkmated and then goes back to the drawing board to reinvent his craft. Martz didn't.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:53 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

You cannot. However, he was clearly a system guy. Once the league caught up to him, he didn't adjust and went the way of the dinosaur. So he did have that moment in time of genius but that was a long time ago and didn't qualify him as a modern expert on QB play

You don't have to be an expert to identify good and bad traits/play from a quarterback. Besides, he acknowledged Lamar Jackson's style of play. In addition to that, experts get it wrong every draft.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
The only statement I take exception to is "worst opening day performance I've ever seen". That's a bit harsh. Outside of that, his specific call on his play wasn't wrong. Fields wasn't good.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
BigW72 wrote:
The only statement I take exception to is "worst opening day performance I've ever seen". That's a bit harsh. Outside of that, his specific call on his play wasn't wrong. Fields wasn't good.

Fields is a walking contradiction. He looks worse than a high school quarterback on a lot of plays but can also turn things around on a dime because he has a ton of physical ability.

He won't be the starter next year if he can't learn how to play within the constraints of an NFL system on plays where freelancing isn't necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
blackhawksfan wrote:
:lol:

More like Mike Fartz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

Sean Payton has the same opinion about Lance.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jimmy-garo ... 05971.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
IMO you have to take anything Martz says about the Bears with a grain of salt. He likely still has an axe to grind with the organization.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
veganfan21 wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

They started five pro bowlers on offense, and Marshall Faulk had an incredible year. If you watch games from back then you see Pace was able to single up and dominate his guy on nearly every play, so they kept at TE in on the right side, and the guy who bagged your groceries at Hy-Vee (no Dominick's in Iowa), looked for Bruce on every play, and dumped off to Faulk who made the first guy miss most of the time.

How did that work on the 2010 Bears without Pace, Faulk, Holt, and Bruce? Cutler was sacked 52 times in 15 games.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:30 pm 

Nas wrote:
Sean Payton has the same opinion about Lance.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jimmy-garo ... 05971.html

No way Lance makes it through the year if he takes the number of hits he did on Sunday every week.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:52 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

They started five pro bowlers on offense, and Marshall Faulk had an incredible year. If you watch games from back then you see Pace was able to single up and dominate his guy on nearly every play, so they kept at TE in on the right side, and the guy who bagged your groceries at Hy-Vee (no Dominick's in Iowa), looked for Bruce on every play, and dumped off to Faulk who made the first guy miss most of the time.

How did that work on the 2010 Bears without Pace, Faulk, Holt, and Bruce? Cutler was sacked 52 times in 15 games.

This seems to be a great point to make against someone arguing Martz was an effective OC in 2010. When you find that person do let me know.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Warner got knocked around a bit with the Rams too if memory serves.. he even commented that it effected his play with the Giants (concussions and so on). He got sorted out a bit better with Arizona but I do recall Warner being critical of how long it took plays to develop in the Martz offense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:39 pm 

I’d also add that it would as Belichick that used the long play development of the Martz offense to his advantage by instructing his DB’s to put hands on the Rams WR’s early and often to disrupt the rhythm of the offense rendering it ineffective.. this also resulted in the NFL changing receiver ‘chucking’ rules by DB’s later on..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:45 pm 

Nas wrote:
I saw some things that gave me a little hope from Fields in the 2nd half. Lance looks unbelievably raw. Like he's still a couple of years away.

Lance looked lost when he had to make a quick decision. His processing speed is incredibly low right now. But like Fields, he has talent. Fields is definitely further along than Lance is tho. Fields however doesn’t have the talent around him that Lance does.. our line looked better in the 2nd half, but was absolutely terrible in the 1st.

To me, this offense is going to go as that line goes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese

Fields: “Please stop late hitting me.”

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:02 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

Fields: “Please stop late hitting me.”

Fields does slide quite a bit tho.. I was actually surprised on some of those hits at the lack of defenders trying to pull up at all.. Lance on the other hand was leaning shoulders/head 1st quite a bit when he ran which he’ll have to learn not to do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:21 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:

Gilbride had a nice run as the Giants OC, winning a couple Super Bowls in the process. He had a good ability to adjust to the strengths of his personnel, some years on the ground and others through the air. Those were the good old days.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:25 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

This seems to be a great point to make against someone arguing Martz was an effective OC in 2010. When you find that person do let me know.

Your guy Matt Nagy was coach of the year once. The discussion was if Martz is an effective judge of QB talent and I gave you the metric he uses, a pocket passer who hangs in there until he gets hammered, also pointed out that he had an extraordinary amount of offensive talent at key skill positions which allowed for the success of the QB he uses as his metric. Sorry for the argument getting a little complicated, but if you gonna die on the Martz is a great evaluator of QB talent then have at it General Vegan Fan, but it looks like you may need to shore up your right flank as the Barbarians are breaking through the front line.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:34 am 
1000 CLUB

Clawmaster wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Your guy Matt Nagy was coach of the year once. The discussion was if Martz is an effective judge of QB talent and I gave you the metric he uses, a pocket passer who hangs in there until he gets hammered, also pointed out that he had an extraordinary amount of offensive talent at key skill positions which allowed for the success of the QB he uses as his metric. Sorry for the argument getting a little complicated, but if you gonna die on the Martz is a great evaluator of QB talent then have at it General Vegan Fan, but it looks like you may need to shore up your right flank as the Barbarians are breaking through the front line.

To me, the key point here is that Martz is very much a system guy, and he sees a guy in Fields who currently is incapable of playing within a system (reading quickly, throwing in rhythm, etc). I think we all see that. I'd say it's pretty shocking how undeveloped Fields' skills are in this regard.

What Martz doesn't seem to acknowledge is that Fields also shows the ability to transcend a given offensive system and make explosive plays as a freelancer.

The problem is that we do not yet see in Fields a synthesis of a system player with a freelancer. If he remains strictly a freelance player through the rest of the season, the Bears will be drafting a QB in the first round next year. If he can significantly improve his success rate as a system QB while maintaining his explosive playmaking abilities as a freelancer, he will be a very good or better starter for the Bears.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:03 am 

Hard to judge Fields until he gets a competent Oline and a #1 WR, but there will be plenty of resources to take a run at QB next year.

49ers do have a talented front 7 which made it difficult for them to block anything early, and for Fields to run bootlegs or misdirection, expect the Pack to stack and fill run lanes as will most teams because there is really not anyone that scares you on the Bears offense.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:34 am 
1000 CLUB

Clawmaster wrote:
Hard to judge Fields until he gets a competent Oline and a #1 WR, but there will be plenty of resources to take a run at QB next year.

49ers do have a talented front 7 which made it difficult for them to block anything early, and for Fields to run bootlegs or misdirection, expect the Pack to stack and fill run lanes as will most teams because there is really not anyone that scares you on the Bears offense.

Herbert did much more with his carries than Montgomery did. I hope his load is increased against Green Bay. Montgomery just doesn't seem to see openings as well as Herbert does.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Herbert did much more with his carries than Montgomery did. I hope his load is increased against Green Bay. Montgomery just doesn't seem to see openings as well as Herbert does.

Quickness is imperative in a zone blocking scheme. Herbert is much quicker then Montgomery.

I liked how Getsy pounded them with Montgomery, and finished it off with Herbert.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:21 am 
100000 CLUB

Martz appeared to say Fields ceiling is Cutler when he was on Parkins and Spiegs. I think I'm going to be sick.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
Martz appeared to say Fields ceiling is Cutler when he was on Parkins and Spiegs. I think I'm going to be sick.

He wont even hit that ceiling.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Quickness is imperative in a zone blocking scheme. Herbert is much quicker then Montgomery.

I liked how Getsy pounded them with Montgomery, and finished it off with Herbert.

I don't think Getsy "pounded" the defense with Montgomery since he's not really a power runner. Rather, I just think Montgomery wasted time behind the line of scrimmage with his indecisive stutter-stepping and then got swallowed up at the line.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Tall Midget wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

I don't think Getsy "pounded" the defense with Montgomery since he's not really a power runner. Rather, I just think Montgomery wasted time behind the line of scrimmage with his indecisive stutter-stepping and then got swallowed up at the line.

Herbert is the better RB....credit to Nas....he was the first to call it.

I'd much rather see Herbert get the ball earlier in the game and see if Montgomery can be the "oh shit" guy after the defense is worn down.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
BigW72 wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Herbert is the better RB....credit to Nas....he was the first to call it.

I'd much rather see Herbert get the ball earlier in the game and see if Montgomery can be the "oh shit" guy after the defense is worn down.
Neither rb is much better than average and Nas’s record will remain consistent.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:54 pm 

Who knew the Bears and Packers would have equally atrocious skill player problems. The Packers best pass catching options are actually running backs by trade. I sure hope every Packer fan enjoys the wasted opportunity that is named Jordan Love - one of dumbest front office blunders of the decade.

2013 CSFMB ROY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 146  Next