It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 146  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Only if Fields gets a lot better. He shows no signs that he can do so.

I think this is a 5-win team at best, but it's most likely a 4-win team.
RFDC wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Bears are going to win too many games to pick 4th. They will end up 6-11 or 7-10.

Yep I would expect them to be around pick 10-12 or probably one pick after the best player in the draft is taken
Washington, Detroit x2, Jets, Atlanta. There are 2-3 wins in there.
Patriots, Minnesota x2, Dallas. There is one win in there.

They likely aren't beating the Dolphins, Eagles, or Packers. But its the NFL and if the Bears muster up a win against one of those squads, I don't know if I would be necessarily surprised. The Bills are the only team that would shock me if the Bears win.

Even at 5-12 they are still probably picking 7th or 8th.

Its fine, though. Plenty of talent to be had at #9-12, and #40-45. Just DON'T TRADE UP

There might be 1 to 2 wins in that first bunch but I dont see any wins vs Dallas, NE, or MN. They did manage to pull 2 wins out of the first 3 but they really should have been 0-2-1. I dont see any better than a 4 win team.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
It's not possible that a Bears quarterback, whose name is synonymous to MANY with sucking, was more productive with less talent than Fields.

At least (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky had Dowell Loggains and Matt Nagy to help with his development.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:37 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Lombardi: Why Justin Fields will never be a top-20 NFL QB

https://www.vsin.com/lombardi-why-justi ... 20-nfl-qb/

I feel bad for Chicago Bears fans. The Bears are a historic franchise, loaded with incredible players and coaches. Now they watch their team in those ugly orange uniforms and realize they are about to embark on another four-year journey of pretending they have fixed their quarterback position. Justin Fields started his 16th game last night and normally when evaluating a quarterback, it takes 20 games to accurately judge their long-term success. With Fields, we don’t have to watch another four games: The verdict is in, and it’s not good. Fields is a gifted athlete and runner. He can throw the ball a mile, but he lacks the instincts, rhythm the timing and most of all the accuracy to throw the ball into tight windows when facing pressure.

Older Bears fans remember Bobby Douglas, the flame-throwing left hander, who could run all over the field, yet when he had to fire the ball with timing and precision, he wasn’t able to do so. Douglas was like Nuke Laloosh from “Bull Durham” -- great fastball, no control. Douglas, a former second-round pick of the Bears, started 45 games and completed 42% of his passes. Remember, Douglas played when running quarterbacks were not in vogue, when he carried the ball 141 times in 1972, he was the outlier of the league. Bears fans also remember they won only four games that season under the direction of head coach Abe Gibron and by 1975 Douglas was traded and no longer a starter. Fields is much like Douglass, only this era of football is more acceptable to quarterbacks that run. The innate problems that prevented Douglass from playing will be the same problems that will keep Fields from ever being a top-20 NFL quarterback.

Some might say, why are you being so hard on Fields, he had the Bears on the 5-yard line with a chance to win the game? That’s true, but when a quarterback averages 10 completions a game and relies primarily on his running skills, what do you expect his longevity to be?

Fields is a one-look-and-dash quarterback. When the Bears run play-action, or any type of boots, he can find the open man and (depending on his footwork) deliver an accurate throw. Fields has a funky motion, poor mechanics that don’t hold up under pressure and struggles to throw the ball inside unless the wide receiver is wide open. He only throws the ball when the receiver is wide open, like when he was at Ohio State, which never happens in the NFL. He is willing to throw the ball outside on deep passes, like his 40-yard TD to Dante Pettis, because it’s doesn’t require processing the coverage. This has nothing to do with intelligence, rather, instincts and feel for the game. And from watching Fields at Ohio State and now, he hasn’t been able to show improvement.

The questions the Bears must address is: Is there an offense Fields can run successfully? Could he run the Eagles/Oklahoma Sooners offense? Maybe, and the Bears are trying to use a version of that offense. They are trying desperately to run plays that highlight his skill set athletically -- and the results are not good. They have the lowest amount of passing attempts in the league, the lowest number of yards passing and are 28th in the yards per attempt passing. In three of their six games, the Bears have gained more yards running than passing. Some might say the talent level around Fields is bad, which causes him to struggle. Yes and no. Yes, the Bears need a better offensive line, more explosive playmakers on offense, but Fields struggles to execute even when the receiver is wide open. All the chatter about the talent around him, is simply avoiding the obvious answer that I am sure Bears fans don’t want to admit -- yet.

Chicago will play hard, compete and will cover spreads, especially when the Bears face another bad quarterback like they did last night. Their margin for error is so small that it’s almost impossible for them to win games. Carson Wentz wasn’t very good -- and that is being kind. Throwing for 99 yards, not having any explosive passes over 20 yards, and taking three sacks. What saved Wentz and the Commanders was they protected the ball and avoided losing, which saved them. Both teams have short- and long-term issues at quarterback and until they solve them, they will be playing in ugly games.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Lombardi has hated Fields along. Fields could have 14 TD and Lombardi would still find something wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
This year I think is about the worst I've seen for really below average teams throughout the league. I see maybe 2 teams who I'd say are championship caliber teams. KC and Buffalo are the best and then there are maybe 2-3 others that if everything goes right for them they might be able to beat KC or Buffalo. No team in the NFC comes close to the talent that Bufflao or KC has in my opinion.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Lombardi has hated Fields along. Fields could have 14 TD and Lombardi would still find something wrong.

What part do you disagree with?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Lombardi by default is glass half-empty with the Bears, so I take his criticism with skepticism. That being said....his comments on Fields are spot on.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Lombardi, who isn't even related to Vince in any way, just shares a surname, tends toward hot takes that turn cold pretty quickly; like when he labeled Doug Pederson a shit head coach, maybe the worst ever i think Lombardi claimed of Pederson, before the 2017 season...Pederson of course immediately goes and wins a Super Bowl that season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
BigW72 wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Lombardi by default is glass half-empty with the Bears, so I take his criticism with skepticism. That being said....his comments on Fields are spot on.

Lombardi's whole criticism of the Bears organization has been spot on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hussra wrote:
Lombardi, who isn't even related to Vince in any way, just shares a surname, tends toward hot takes that turn cold pretty quickly; like when he labeled Doug Pederson a shit head coach, maybe the worst ever i think Lombardi claimed of Pederson, before the 2017 season...Pederson of course immediately goes and wins a Super Bowl that season.

He was also sure about Darnold. If you say a few colorful things with conviction, it sells.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Lombardi still pimping for Sam Darnold even after he washed out with the Jets, not sure why this analysis doesn't apply to Fields:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
I remember the good old days when the giants were criticized for not taking Sam darnold instead of Saquon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
The Hawk wrote:
This year I think is about the worst I've seen for really below average teams throughout the league. I see maybe 2 teams who I'd say are championship caliber teams. KC and Buffalo are the best and then there are maybe 2-3 others that if everything goes right for them they might be able to beat KC or Buffalo. No team in the NFC comes close to the talent that Bufflao or KC has in my opinion.

Philly is good, real good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:11 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Lombardi's whole criticism of the Bears organization has been spot on.

Yes, very true

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:13 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
I only see 4 more possible wins for the Bears this year

Redskins October 13th
Falcons Nov 20
Jets Nov 27
Vikings Jan 8 (assuming the Vikings will be checked out by then)

They have a gauntlet of a schedule in December...so maybe they win 1 or 2 more games they have no business winning, but they could easily drop a game on the road against the Jets or Falcons

The Skins game is the last "sure thing" game of the year. I got 6 wins at most for them.

They should be picking 4-7th range

The Jets are going to clown us, that D is solid..the coaching is good and Hall will have a huge game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: John's
The "Eye Test" suggests the Bears are not good at all at pass blocking, quite terrible actually.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Caller Bob wrote:
The "Eye Test" suggests the Bears are not good at all at pass blocking, quite terrible actually.

I’d agree with that.

The bears have a unique combination of a guy who can’t make decisions or read defenses paired with a sieve of an oline.

I think the ‘seconds to sack’ stat is probably inflated by Fields running around a bit before he inevitably gets hit.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Caller Bob wrote:

This is absolutely true.
Fields also doesn't know how to read and get rid of the ball at the appropriate time.

It's possible both the line and Fields suck.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:10 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I’d agree with that.

The bears have a unique combination of a guy who can’t make decisions or read defenses paired with a sieve of an oline.

I think the ‘seconds to sack’ stat is probably inflated by Fields running around a bit before he inevitably gets hit.

I think that's correct.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:16 am 
100000 CLUB

My eye test tells me the pass blocking doesn't suck. It tells me on all of these timing plays, Fields holds the ball too long. My eye test also tells me the run blocking isn't as good as the numbers suggest. The Bears can't get a yard when they need to. The numbers are skewed by Fields scrambling and big runs from Herbert whenever he's allowed to play.

Edit: I think the right side of the line is the best when it comes to pass blocking and the left side is great at run blocking.

Last edited by Nas on Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:17 am 

Hussra wrote:
Lombardi still pimping for Sam Darnold even after he washed out with the Jets, not sure why this analysis doesn't apply to Fields:

Maybe Darnold was bad because he didn’t have good receivers to throw to or his O-line was bad. I don’t think you can blame anything on him now that I think about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:21 am 
100000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:

I’d agree with that.

Hussra posted numbers last week that showed Fields wasn't pressured until after 3 seconds for all but one of his 5 sacks. It's a quarterback problem.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Seems Fields must have really bad luck. He seems to almost always roll/turn right into the pass rusher.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:27 am 
100000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
Seems Fields must have really bad luck. He seems to almost always roll/turn right into the pass rusher.

I thought he did a better job last game of not running into the sacks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:11 am 

iTs tHe o-LiNeS fAuLt !!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
sounds like the O-Line is a bunch of racists to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: John's
badrogue17 wrote:

I feel a universe exists where you can acknowledge Justin Fields limitations(I personally think he's going to be a bust, backup QB in the NFL at best) but still acknowledge that this Oline is brutal.

If you think the Bears have a good oline, I'm sorry but you need to take a football 101 class.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:44 am 
100000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I feel a universe exists where you can acknowledge Justin Fields limitations(I personally think he's going to be a bust, backup QB in the NFL at best) but still acknowledge that this Oline is brutal.

If you think the Bears have a good oline, I'm sorry but you need to take a football 101 class.

There's zero evidence that they are brutal. Fix your television or your eyes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 146  Next