It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: NCAA Football 2022
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:34 pm 

Speaking of coming out of nowhere…LSU?!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:54 am 

Iowa Hawkeye twitter is in full meltdown mode and I've got my popcorn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Iowa Hawkeye twitter is in full meltdown mode and I've got my popcorn.

It's not like this game was a surprise. What brand of "horrible" were they missing for the previous games? :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
OSU didn't step off the gas either. making it worse. kirk has another what 6 weeks of these press conferences?

everyone was clamouring for a QB change and he showed his cards. they don't have another QB to chuck out there. 1st play, fumble. few plays later interception.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
W_Z wrote:
Speaking of coming out of nowhere…LSU?!

Heck, ol' Brine Kellah has got the folks down there all pumped up.

I can't say I was expecting that after the way the season started.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:08 am 

hnd wrote:
OSU didn't step off the gas either. making it worse. kirk has another what 6 weeks of these press conferences?

everyone was clamouring for a QB change and he showed his cards. they don't have another QB to chuck out there. 1st play, fumble. few plays later interception.

There were 1-2 plays that Padilla showed what he can do over Petras (RUN FOR HIS LIFE). But you can see a drop off in arm strength between the two and yeah, the fumble bad.

I kinda feel for Kirk in the sense that people called for the QB change as duct tape to fix the problem but the gap is so large:

- Poor O Line. Recruiting from 18/19 went south plus some injuries so you have a line full of Fr/So this year. Iowa may get 4 star kids on the line but they always need a few years to truly reach their potential both strength wise and scheme wise
- Lack of playmakers. This is an issue with the system - what star receiver is coming to Iowa to play in a pro style offense that wants to be 50/50 run/pass at a minimum. (Look at Charlie Jones and what's he doing at Purdue) As for running back, do have a couple with potential that are younger but don't see a home run hitter in there.
- Offensive system - they have squandered top defenses the last few years with a bad offense. The scheme is predictable even to a non coach. Top that with play calling and you have a mess.
- Coaching - The offensive side of the ball must be retooled. Defensive and Special Teams can stay. Couple positional coaches on O are fine and legacy players.
- Sense of Urgency - Kirk is great with this bit 'We are getting better each week. Seeing a lot of growth.' Even when they lose. It's time for him to have a sense of urgency and make some changes that will show the fans he's committed to doing what he can to make them better. Right now it feels like he tossed the motor and oars off the boat while in the middle of the lake. I'll call PJ Fleck to help Row the Boat if that can help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
yeah I was talking to a alum yesterday. there are so many problems that getting rid of Brian isn't going to fix anything. but its like the fandom is in "someone has to pay" mode.

I think kirk outside of just stepping into the role (first 2 years) has had 1 losing season since he's been there. he's about to have a 4th IMO. I think its reasonable for iowa fans to be upset but I think kirk has earned the right to have a chance to prove he can overcome it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:24 am 

I am in the camp of Kirk can leave when he wants BUT he must address that this isn't working and make changes to catch up to 2020's football.

The whole son as OC is a mess waiting to happen. Since he reports to the AD (who should probably be gone too for his multiple Title 9 lawsuits), it could happen but won't since Kirk has the AD by the purse strings. His last extension basically is guaranteed meaning, if they dumped him now, they owe him 49M. There is no buyout.

In recent past he's had two subpar years and has brought them out of it each time. They called for his head in 2007 after missing a bowl game at 6-6 and they responded with a 28-11 record over the next three seasons. Others will point to 2014 and they bounced back to a 12-0 regular season and a thud at the end. I'm cautiously optimistic that with some changes this is a bump in the road.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:42 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
I am in the camp of Kirk can leave when he wants BUT he must address that this isn't working and make changes to catch up to 2020's football.

The whole son as OC is a mess waiting to happen. Since he reports to the AD (who should probably be gone too for his multiple Title 9 lawsuits), it could happen but won't since Kirk has the AD by the purse strings. His last extension basically is guaranteed meaning, if they dumped him now, they owe him 49M. There is no buyout.

In recent past he's had two subpar years and has brought them out of it each time. They called for his head in 2007 after missing a bowl game at 6-6 and they responded with a 28-11 record over the next three seasons. Others will point to 2014 and they bounced back to a 12-0 regular season and a thud at the end. I'm cautiously optimistic that with some changes this is a bump in the road.

Kirk did this to himself. It would seem he's more concerned with passing the torch to his son over fixing the team's problems. Brian should have been gone already.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:59 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Kirk did this to himself. It would seem he's more concerned with passing the torch to his son over fixing the team's problems. Brian should have been gone already.

That ship sailed with the racial discrimination lawsuit. Even if he is found innocent, it will still be enough of a stain. He's probably better served moving laterally to a smaller school if he wants to be an HC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
He can become Chicago State's first head coach when they start their program and take over Soldier Field once the Bears abandon it for the burbs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:51 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:

As you said, it has happened before. This is the first year they are stumbling in a while, but the difference now is that Bryan Ferentz is there. I know he's been the OC for a while, but this is the third or fourth year they have had nothing on offense. I get the sense that he's an assh*le as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:47 am 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

As you said, it has happened before. This is the first year they are stumbling in a while, but the difference now is that Bryan Ferentz is there. I know he's been the OC for a while, but this is the third or fourth year they have had nothing on offense. I get the sense that he's an assh*le as well.

Not to mention the discrimination case that's out there. Any other OC would have been canned already. This is a really stupid way for Kirk to go down, but he created this mess. Don't shit where you eat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Gus Johnson just said, "don't touch that dial." I don't see Woody Hayes out there on the OSU sideline. Use the word remote dude.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:31 pm 

What . . . what happened to Ok. State?

Was working and watching the Illini and Mount Carmel game . . . what the hell happened?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: sorentos
Georgia vs Tennessee next week

oh boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:27 am 

Is it possible that Tennessee will actually live up to its potential this one time?

How many times have we seen them in the top 25 to start the season, be under .500 by mid season, get bowl eligible at 6-5 and then stomp another 6-5 team because of their talent?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:38 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Is it possible that Tennessee will actually live up to its potential this one time?

How many times have we seen them in the top 25 to start the season, be under .500 by mid season, get bowl eligible at 6-5 and then stomp another 6-5 team because of their talent?

It's safe to say they already have - as long they don't go in the shitter the last few weeks.

Wins against Bama, LSU, Kentucky and Florida.

After this game, they should win out with only games against Mizzou, South Carolina and Vandy left. They could also sneak into the playoff with a tight loss Saturday since they wouldn't make it to the SEC title game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:42 pm 

Auburn's coach, gone. How much have they paid to fired coaches since Cam Newton left?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:46 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Auburn's coach, gone. How much have they paid to fired coaches since Cam Newton left?

My Hogs are coach killers!!!

The boosters wanted him fired after last year, and once the AD stepped down earlier this year, he was for sure dead man walking. Malzahn was there for a pretty good while.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:04 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

37 million in buyouts over the last two years.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:14 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

That's almost as obscene as the money "colleges" are spending just on locker rooms now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:16 pm 

Like it always goes in Big Ten football, if the Illini are able to overcome Purdue they should have a chance for a really good season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:24 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

That's almost as obscene as the money "colleges" are spending just on locker rooms now.

I can't believe they are paying all of Malzahn's buyout considering he is a head coach at UCF now. Hell they haven't had that many coaches at all since Cam left if you look at some schools and the amount of coaches they have had over the same period.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:06 pm 

Auburn did this to themselves. The insufferable fanbase deserves it.

- You push Gus out the door 2 years ago
- You then have Harsin hired who honestly was over his head in the SEC
- You stage a coup to fire the AD who eventually steps down before the season
- You now walk Harsin out of town after hand picking an AD to come over from MSU.

Who the hell would want to coach there?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:13 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:

- You now walk Harsin out of town after hand picking an AD to come over from MSU.

Auburn alumni are a lot like Nebraska, they aren't as relevant as they think they are.

Also, I still think Hugh Freeze get this job even after just accepting and extension at Liberty over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:53 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Auburn alumni are a lot like Nebraska, they aren't as relevant as they think they are.

Also, I still think Hugh Freeze get this job even after just accepting and extension at Liberty over the weekend.

Freeze must've given up on being relevant in college football. But if he jumps, that'd be hilarious. And I'd be wrong about him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:44 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Freeze must've given up on being relevant in college football. But if he jumps, that'd be hilarious. And I'd be wrong about him.

My family and his family are extemely close, like when my uncle passed away he and I spoke thru social media. My Aunt and Uncle's farm and his momma and daddy's farm butted up against each other in Mississippi. My cousin and him were/are extremely tight but when that went down at Ole Miss it needless to say caused some complications. He is a kid that grew up of that being his dream job.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:08 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Who wouldn't want to coach there? You are going to get fired in less than three years and leave with at least 30 million.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

Last edited by conns7901 on Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:07 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

My family and his family are extemely close, like when my uncle passed away he and I spoke thru social media. My Aunt and Uncle's farm and his momma and daddy's farm butted up against each other in Mississippi. My cousin and him were/are extremely tight but when that went down at Ole Miss it needless to say caused some complications. He is a kid that grew up of that being his dream job.

I always thought that was a cool byproduct of southern college football. Growing up dedicated to a particular school/program and all the local neighbors who all are in the same boat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next