It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elon musk
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
80 hours is absurd, Imo you get the most done working 4 tens or 5 tens. Anything over 50 is ridiculous

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Curious Hair wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HuwXt_24rs

pretty cool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Musk is turning into Trump?

Tesla steaks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:27 pm 

312player wrote:
80 hours is absurd, Imo you get the most done working 4 tens or 5 tens. Anything over 50 is ridiculous

I saw an interview on 60 Minutes earlier this year with one of the CEO of a wall street business. She reaffirmed the long held opinion that it took 10K hours to master something and she wanted to decrease the years it would take for her new hires to become masters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Musk has reportedly closed all Twitter offices until Nov 21, fearing sabotage from employees leaving.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:15 pm 

Who would have guessed "Work 80 hours or quit" would get so many to quit?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:15 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Musk has reportedly closed all Twitter offices until Nov 21, fearing sabotage from employees leaving.

Work from home is back!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Let's assume the software behind Twitter is stable and they can get by without any new features for a while. How many engineers would they need to keep it running? 100? You need a Human Resources department, Legal, Ad Sales, a few other essentials. Other than that, what are these thousands of employees doing? Content moderation?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Unless he's promising massive incentives, this is going to kill morale. On the other hand, he's probably thinking that Twitter can run fine with one-tenth the number of employees, so he's weeding them out.

It just seems like Twitter was a very poorly run company with very little innovation. The one thing they seemed to work on was by far the most destructive part of Twitter and that was content moderation and banning people for opinions. Thankfully musk is allowing Twitter users to correct people who are posting wrong information instead of the company deciding what's right or wrong. That's how it should be. But it just seems like the majority of Twitter employees were a bunch of whiny nerds who didn't really do anything.

How many people do you really need? Probably 20 programmers is good enough LOL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Let's assume the software behind Twitter is stable and they can get by without any new features for a while. How many engineers would they need to keep it running? 100? You need a Human Resources department, Legal, Ad Sales, a few other essentials. Other than that, what are these thousands of employees doing? Content moderation?

I imagine it's not that simple.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
They need a janitor to clean out the shitter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
blackhawksfan wrote:

How much damage can a vegetarian diet do?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:05 pm 

Nas wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:09 pm 

Nas wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Haven’t you ever seen “Little Shop of Horrors”? That’s the fallout. Literally.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
blackhawksfan wrote:
It just seems like Twitter was a very poorly run company with very little innovation. The one thing they seemed to work on was by far the most destructive part of Twitter and that was content moderation and banning people for opinions.

It's an unusual aspect of professional sports that the labor is also the product. With Twitter, the customers are the product. Other than determining who is and is not a customer, there's not much room for innovation. Twitter's value lay in its capture by the DNC and being able to control participation in public discourse under it's a private company so they can do what they want. Take that away and it's just journalists and black teens talking to themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Nas wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

It's also not that complicated. The title "software engineer" is a bit vague. Still....this isn't as complex as a company that manufactures physical items, such as....I don't know...Tesla. There...you have code, but there are chips and physical components requiring engineers.

If twitter has "hundreds" of engineers than they are working more than a social media application.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:20 am 

good dolphin wrote:
312player wrote:

I saw an interview on 60 Minutes earlier this year with one of the CEO of a wall street business. She reaffirmed the long held opinion that it took 10K hours to master something and she wanted to decrease the years it would take for her new hires to become masters

I agree with the 10k threshold, just don't believe it should be crammed into 2 years.. 3 years seems more appropriate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:27 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Nas wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

It's also not that complicated. The title "software engineer" is a bit vague. Still....this isn't as complex as a company that manufactures physical items, such as....I don't know...Tesla. There...you have code, but there are chips and physical components requiring engineers.

If twitter has "hundreds" of engineers than they are working more than a social media application.
It's not really all that strange to have "hundreds" of engineers for a company making $5 billion in revenue where the product is exclusively built on the technology of those engineers. They have something like 7 billion page views a month and twitter is a remarkably stable platform for what it does.

If twitter truly had too many employees then why is Elon Musk telling them all "Time to work 80 hours a week or quit"?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:30 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
good dolphin wrote:
312player wrote:

Malcolm Gladwell created that 10,000 hour figure out of thin air and now it's accepted "fact." What a world.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:32 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
312player wrote:

Malcolm Gladwell created that 10,000 hour figure out of thin air and now it's accepted "fact." What a world.

As part of "maximizing shareholder value" you need to extract as much free labor as you can from salaried employees. So, convincing them they need to work 70 hours a week for the same pay as they would get for working 40 hours a week is just good business.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:33 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
312player wrote:

I'd say it is opinion but I agree with him, most people work 2k hours a year and after 5 years you should be pretty damn proficient at your task.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:35 am 

Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
312player wrote:

As part of "maximizing shareholder value" you need to extract as much free labor as you can from salaried employees. So, convincing them they need to work 70 hours a week for the same pay as they would get for working 40 hours a week is just good business.

lot's of assumptions in those two sentences

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:36 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
312player wrote:

how many hours do you estimate?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:38 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
312player wrote:

lot's of assumptions in those two sentences

I don't know what you mean but it was a generalized statement and not about a specific situation so yes you do have to make some assumptions.

If you can convince an employee to give you 30 extra hours a week for "free" then that is good business.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:45 am 

Brick wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Nas wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

It's not really all that strange to have "hundreds" of engineers for a company making $5 billion in revenue where the product is exclusively built on the technology of those engineers. They have something like 7 billion page views a month and twitter is a remarkably stable platform for what it does.

If twitter truly had too many employees then why is Elon Musk telling them all "Time to work 80 hours a week or quit"?

Because Elon is a psycho. It would appear to me he's trying to drain the swamp.
Yes, Twitter is a huge company...they'll have a lot of employees. Specific to software and IT Engineers....they have ONE product / service. "Hundreds" of "engineers" is questionable.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:55 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Yes, Twitter is a huge company...they'll have a lot of employees. Specific to software and IT Engineers....they have ONE product / service. "Hundreds" of "engineers" is questionable.
That logic seems backwards. The reason they have hundreds of engineers is because that is the one product/service they have. I'm sure they can cut down on the total. Most places can get rid of employees and push the burden onto the ones who stay. It's not like they could have 10 engineers and let one of the most used systems in the entire world just run itself.

Amazon, a much larger company, has 35,000 engineers. Facebook is well over 10k engineers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:02 am 

Brick wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
That logic seems backwards. The reason they have hundreds of engineers is because that is the one product/service they have. I'm sure they can cut down on the total. Most places can get rid of employees and push the burden onto the ones who stay. It's not like they could have 10 engineers and let one of the most used systems in the entire world just run itself.

Amazon, a much larger company, has 35,000 engineers. Facebook is well over 10k engineers.

Then we are back to the title "Engineer" being vague...covering a pretty wide range of functions. :lol:

I'm not an fan of Elon musk and I'm not much of a twitter user. I don't care how he runs the company...I do find the way these companies are organized interesting. if it takes thousands of "engineers" to make social media run....then I guess it does.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:08 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Then we are back to the title "Engineer" being vague...covering a pretty wide range of functions. :lol:
The systems may look simple but they are really complex. Twitter handles 500 million tweets a day and has to serve those to about 200 million users a day and do it in a useful way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:12 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
There are a couple of interesting things in all of this. I do not use Twitter so I do not care btw. Anyway..

If it is them , Amazon or anyone else if they have such a stable platform they only need a small amount of engineers wiring service and maintenance.

That said the many other engineers are likely hard at work on what all those companies fear, becoming yesterday like MySpace or AskJeeves. So innovation is the job and they should have many groups checking many directions.

As for how the companies are managed it is a blessing and a curse. Way back people applauded going away from IBM blue suit or GE management. Let the engineers and techies manage they said. In the end just like all professional managers aren’t good managers all tech elite aren’t either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 39  Next