It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:04 am 

Thanks for the context dolphin. I am around the same age. I played in high school and was a decent player and I have some vague memories of teammates of mine going to some of these deals.

Larry is something to still be clinging to this deal to convince himself he was almost a major league player.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I knew a guy who went uninvited to a pro tryout probably 20 years ago. He had blazing speed. When he ran the base paths it was quite a sight. But all he could do at a high level was run. The scouts had zero interest in him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
RFDC wrote:
Thanks for the context dolphin. I am around the same age. I played in high school and was a decent player and I have some vague memories of teammates of mine going to some of these deals.

Larry is something to still be clinging to this deal to convince himself he was almost a major league player.

Maybe reel this back a little bit. If Lawrence was the starting catcher on HF's varsity team, I would consider him a pretty good player. Solid catching wins you a lot of games in high school.

If.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

conns7901 wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Another lie by Larry. He said they had to run the 60 yard dash in 8 seconds. Said they ran from 2nd to home. That's not 60 yards. That's 127 feet. Which means 42 yards. Any healthy 20 something baseball player can run 42 yards in 8 seconds. Even Konerko. So no way half the guys were cut after that. No way. They made that part easy to where only a cripple would be cut.

What's with the lie saying it was a 60 yard dash?

90 feet to third then 90 to home is 180 feet. Which is 60 yards.

Ok. I thought he literally meant a straight line from 2nd to home.

I guess 8 seconds wouldn’t be as easy for some since you have to slow down to round 3rd. But most young baseball players going to this type of tryout should be able to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Maybe reel this back a little bit. If Lawrence was the starting catcher on HF's varsity team, I would consider him a pretty good player. Solid catching wins you a lot of games in high school.

If.

I don’t doubt he was a good high school player. He obviously wasn’t great or he would have gotten a scholarship offer somewhere. Or drafted out of high school. Christ, they have like 60 rounds in a mlb draft. There have been millions of good high school players over the past 100 years. None of them had a shot at MLB.

Last edited by Beardown on Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Running from second to home by cutting across the diamond, that thing that all baseball players famously do every day such that scouts really need to know how well you can do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Running from second to home by cutting across the diamond, that thing that all baseball players famously do every day such that scouts really need to know how well you can do it.

Ok. Fine. Got me. I misunderstood. Just thought they were measuring straight speed. I apologize.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Larry also claims he got accepted to Harvard. This is a good lie by him. Cuz nobody can prove otherwise. He can say he lost the letter.

If anybody does question him he’d do the “Why don’t you think so? It’s cuz I’m black, right.”

Who the hell wants that uncomfortable moment so I’m sure people just say “Wow”. Cuz they know Larry would use the accusation of racism. And Larry knows they know it. It’s a good weapon he always has in the bag for criticism and questioning that he never has to use cuz people know he will. Cuz he has shown that on the air.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Beardown wrote:
Larry also claims he got accepted to Harvard. This is a good lie by him. Cuz nobody can prove otherwise.

He’s kind of an idiot though. Non-legacy ivy leaguers are rarely fall-down stupid.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Beardown wrote:

Ok. I thought he literally meant a straight line from 2nd to home.

What? Why would... why did you... what the merry fuck... I mean...
Dude.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
They want to see how you navigate running over the mound.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

Laugh it up everybody. This is the rare time I get something wrong. So I expect all of you to pile on since you pretty much never see it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Larry also claims he got accepted to Harvard. This is a good lie by him. Cuz nobody can prove otherwise.

He’s kind of an idiot though. Non-legacy ivy leaguers are rarely fall-down stupid.

I know. You be the one to call him out though. Larry knows none of his friends will for the reasons I gave.

I’m calling him out and I’m not racist. I’ve had hundreds of lap dances from black girls. That proves I’m not racist, Larry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:05 am 

Laughed when I first heard this. Totally forgot about this wild claim by Larry. This guy is unbelievable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:52 am 

Beardown wrote:
Larry also claims he got accepted to Harvard. This is a good lie by him. Cuz nobody can prove otherwise. He can say he lost the letter.

If anybody does question him he’d do the “Why don’t you think so? It’s cuz I’m black, right.”

Who the hell wants that uncomfortable moment so I’m sure people just say “Wow”. Cuz they know Larry would use the accusation of racism. And Larry knows they know it. It’s a good weapon he always has in the bag for criticism and questioning that he never has to use cuz people know he will. Cuz he has shown that on the air.

I think it was Yale.

I think both his parents had good jobs and Yale would undoubtedly have given him money. I wonder what prevented him from going?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:54 am 

Beardown wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Beardown wrote:

I know. You be the one to call him out though. Larry knows none of his friends will for the reasons I gave.

I’m calling him out and I’m not racist. I’ve had hundreds of lap dances from black girls. That proves I’m not racist, Larry.

Words you never hear on the Bernstein and Holmes show: "I was out with an old friend from high school this weekend..."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:57 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Laughed when I first heard this. Totally forgot about this wild claim by Larry. This guy is unbelievable.

It's really amusing how that is phrased. There is an implication the job was his and that he had the power to transfer it to someone else.

In regards to the baseball story, I don't think anything he said is a lie and, at the same time, none of it is the truth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
good dolphin wrote:
Larry played on a club team at Depaul. .

:lol: i didnt know that detail.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:54 am 

Excerpts from Larry Holmes on George Ofman's podcast.

I thought for sure I was going to be playing baseball in the '96 Olympics.

I would have found success at Brother Rice or St Rita (whatever high school I went to).

I ran the 60 in 7.2.

I thought about going to the Navy and becoming a judge advocate general.

I made it to the highest an alter boy can go (masters of ceremony).

White Sox calling Larry about the open PBP radio gig, "We really like you". Larry replies "Hire Len Kasper".

Larry talks about if his career took a different path, "I'm one of the coaches who can't get hired in the NFL".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
vitoscotti wrote:

Leery has a history of turning down high-profile jobs for nonsensical reasons. IIRC, he also turned down the full-time sports anchor position at Ch. 5 because he didn't want to give up the chance to "work on his craft" evenings at WSCR and for 120 Sports. He gallantly stepped aside so Siafa Lewis could have the job at Ch. 5.

good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

I think it was Yale.

I think both his parents had good jobs and Yale would undoubtedly have given him money. I wonder what prevented him from going?

I think it was initially Michigan, and then it became Yale.

There was also the time he had Ginger Zee on his show to quell the rumors that, much to her surprise as she had not heard them, they were dating.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:03 am 
1000 CLUB

Here’s the thing about Larry. Just telling people you were a very good high school player should be enough for his ego. A very small percentage of people can even make that claim.

Most kids come to the realization that they suck at freshman tryouts. That was me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:12 am 
1000 CLUB

Anyone notice Holmes likes to refer to anyone he is talking about by their first name? I think this is another little trick he does to give the impression he's on a first name basis with the people he's talking about. He'll do it with literally any person also - national, local...I find it odd that he does this, but he's an insecure person trying to give the audience an impression that he's hooked into everything.

Just like he likes to remind everyone that he's not talking with White Sox management because he's too tough on them and holds them accountable.

The guy is very insecure.

Finally, he is extremely protective of Dan. Acts like he's his wife. Very weird.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:44 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Quote:
I thought about going to the Navy and becoming a judge advocate general.

I made it to the highest an alter boy can go (masters of ceremony).

Suspicious that!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Yo he wiz da Catholic MC.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

I don’t think Larry could ever have a long term boyfriend. He certainly couldn’t keep a husband.

He just loves himself too much. He could never love anybody more than himself. Nobody wants to be around that for too long. It’s annoying and disgusting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:21 am 

does he ever express religious beliefs on the Bernstein show?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:37 am 
1000 CLUB

No. Bernstein beat Catholicism out of Larry. Not since he became his partner. Larry has been desperately seeking bernstein’s approval for 20+ years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:53 am 

Did starting to work with a black Catholic throw Bernstein a life curve ball that it drove him to start going to his psychiatrist he talks about.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:51 pm 

You can tell Larry has been reading the board and saw all this talk. He gave some more details today on this baseball stuff. Of course he didnt get to play much in high school because he was "injured and sick". But yet playing some legion ball and stuff got him invite letters :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next