It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Harrison Butker
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:49 am 

Brick wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
His message wasn’t really about careers, it was about what he believes, as a Catholic, leads to the most purpose filled life. He contrasted that ideal with career accomplishments but he could’ve replaced the titles & promotions bit with the plot of live, laugh, love and it’s the same message.

You seem to be intentionally missing that part of it for some reason.

His message was certainly about careers and how women should view them. It may not have been his only message.

10 minutes of the 20 minute speech were spent on the clergy. Women were about 2. He was critical of the gay community, men's leadership, etc. but the only people I hear complaining are women.

I would have been up in arm's about it if I were gay(er).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Brick wrote:
His message wasn’t really about careers, it was about what he believes, as a Catholic, leads to the most purpose filled life. He contrasted that ideal with career accomplishments but he could’ve replaced the titles & promotions bit with the plot of live, laugh, love and it’s the same message.

His message was certainly about careers and how women should view them. It may not have been his only message.

Careers were a device used to contrast his view of the ideal.

You don’t have to like the message to understand the point was about family & motherhood in comparison with alternatives.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:06 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Contrary to what some may believe, women aren't passing up on having kids to take orders at McDonald's or put together PowerPoint presentations. They're executives, partners, and even leaders of countries.

For decades, a male dominated society complained about the number of children women were having. After these women were abandoned by an ambitious spouse, they were shunned by a society that didn't want to foot the bill to care for their 3+ kids. Now, MANY female offspring of these women have decided to delay having kids. Instead of having seven, they have one or two.

Historically, it wasn't young women raising the MANY kids. It was grandparents living in the homes with these young women and getting a "do over". Now, grandparents are too young and/or still working themselves. Every woman doesn't have a multi million dollar spouse to pay for nannies like the Butker family does. Every woman doesn't have a spouse who earns enough to take care of the entire family. That means women have to work. That means an expensive daycare is the only option if they're having more than one child.

Also, a biological woman taking part in a Hallmark celebration doesn't mean that she believes being a mother is the greatest thing that's happened to her. There are a lot of men that celebrate Father's Day, even though their only contribution was having sex and having a sperm cell beat enormous odds.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:09 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:

10 minutes of the 20 minute speech were spent on the clergy. Women were about 2. He was critical of the gay community, men's leadership, etc. but the only people I hear complaining are women.

Because everyone doesn't have your world view, Archie Dolphin. You're welcome to be critical of his statements regarding the gays or anything else he spoke on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:11 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Yes.

With that being said, how do we know when the exercise become pearls before swine?

I think in this type of scenario, which isn’t life or death, you hope the controversy forces people to listen to the actual speech and what was said. They don’t have to receive that message on the first try via an NFL kicker, but maybe it softens their resistance to the idea that the highest possible calling might not be prepping PowerPoints for board meetings.

I don’t see great reason to not have patience with this conversation.
I think his message was poorly delivered though. You seem to be trying to change it to "Your work/career doesn't define you" which is something that most people would agree with and no one would really get upset about unless they were your boss. Instead, he went with the "hey ladies, your life doesn't start until you become a homemaker and you never have a career".

No he didn't. He said they will have achieve all kinds of successes in their life but motherhood would be their greatest accomplishment. As I wrote at the beginning of this thread, 100 million women spoke those same words on mother's day.

but I agree, the overall message was poorly delivered. It sounded like a list of grievances rather than supporting points of a central theme

I agree as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:16 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Yes.

With that being said, how do we know when the exercise become pearls before swine?

I think in this type of scenario, which isn’t life or death, you hope the controversy forces people to listen to the actual speech and what was said. They don’t have to receive that message on the first try via an NFL kicker, but maybe it softens their resistance to the idea that the highest possible calling might not be prepping PowerPoints for board meetings.

I don’t see great reason to not have patience with this conversation.
I think his message was poorly delivered though. You seem to be trying to change it to "Your work/career doesn't define you" which is something that most people would agree with and no one would really get upset about unless they were your boss. Instead, he went with the "hey ladies, your life doesn't start until you become a homemaker and you never have a career".

No he didn't. He said they will have achieve all kinds of successes in their life but motherhood would be their greatest accomplishment. As I wrote at the beginning of this thread, 100 million women spoke those same words on mother's day.

but I agree, the overall message was poorly delivered. It sounded like a list of grievances rather than supporting points of a central theme

Quote:
I can tell you that my beautiful wife, Isabelle, would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother. I'm on the stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation. I'm beyond blessed with the many talents God has given me, but it cannot be overstated that all of my success is made possible because a girl I met in band class back in middle school would convert to the faith, become my wife, and embrace one of the most important titles of all: homemaker.

She is a primary educator to our children. She is the one who ensures I never let football or my business become a distraction from that of a husband and father. She is the person that knows me best at my core, and it is through our marriage that, Lord willing, we will both attain salvation.

I say all of this to you because I have seen it firsthand how much happier someone can be when they disregard the outside noise and move closer and closer to God's will in their life. Isabelle's dream of having a career might not have come true, but if you asked her today if she has any regrets on her decision, she would laugh out loud, without hesitation, and say, “Heck, No.”

Again, the bold text and other similar things he said is what got him in trouble and then people were saying it was out of context but it really wasn't.

So people got upset because his wife finds her deepest meaning in life comes from giving of herself for her family?

Why are her feelings open to debate?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:17 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:

Because everyone doesn't have your world view, Archie Dolphin. You're welcome to be critical of his statements regarding the gays or anything else he spoke on.

Thanks for the permission Nas Jefferson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:21 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:

We're moving on up. A $140M contract can buy a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:50 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:

We're moving on up. A $140M contract can buy a lot.

but seriously, what's my world view in relation to this? That having and raising kids is incredibly important. That's the world view of every organism from the single celled on up throughout the history of history.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:16 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

but seriously, what's my world view in relation to this? That having and raising kids is incredibly important. That's the world view of every organism from the single celled on up throughout the history of history.

You can simplify it if you like; however, I think your perception of what role women should play is incorrect in our current society. Honestly, I think women have always been as ambitious as they are now. In the past, they succumbed to the pressure society put on them. In a lot of cases, they were the brains behind a lot of successful men.

Even with significant advancements in medical tech, the world's population is going to decline in less than a century. American society no longer demands 5+ kids. Because of resources and other demands, there was always going to be a population cap. Therefore, a woman pursuing her career goals and having a child later in life shouldn't be a big deal.

If motherhood is a woman's greatest accomplishment, I have no issue with that. Like me, I suspect you enjoy being a father and you consider it to be a significant responsibility. Others may not. They may consider financial success or their activism to be more significant or important. That should be okay as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:30 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

You can simplify it if you like; however, I think your perception of what role women should play is incorrect in our current society. Honestly, I think women have always been as ambitious as they are now. In the past, they succumbed to the pressure society put on them. In a lot of cases, they were the brains behind a lot of successful men.

Even with significant advancements in medical tech, the world's population is going to decline in less than a century. American society no longer demands 5+ kids. Because of resources and other demands, there was always going to be a population cap. Therefore, a woman pursuing her career goals and having a child later in life shouldn't be a big deal.

If motherhood is a woman's greatest accomplishment, I have no issue with that. Like me, I suspect you enjoy being a father and you consider it to be a significant responsibility. Others may not. They may consider financial success or their activism to be more significant or important. That should be okay as well.

Sure, but if you don't prioritize your parenting, society itself falls apart.

My perception...I married an engineer. I think women can play every role. A woman can be a mother and X, just like I'm a father and X.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:46 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Sure, but if you don't prioritize your parenting, society itself falls apart.

My perception...I married an engineer. I think women can play every role. A woman can be a mother and X, just like I'm a father and X.

Historically, I don't think young women generally prioritized parenting. Grandma's and grandpa's were there to do the heavy lifting. They had the experience and were at a point in life where they embraced that role. Instead of the grandparents or nannies, thr daycares and educators are filling those roles today. I don't know for certain that it's a negative.

I don't understand why you would push back on the women and people who disagreed with his views on being a homemaker. On some level, all domestic roles can be shared. I say this as someone who convinced Lady Nas I to stay home because of my earning potential and fear of a baby being in daycare.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:07 pm 

I push back because he said women could have it all: professional titles, academic degrees, successful careers. He never said they couldn't or shouldn't have professional aspirations.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:21 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
I push back because he said women could have it all: professional titles, academic degrees, successful careers. He never said they couldn't or shouldn't have professional aspirations.

Yeah, I don't think he was saying that. The women who are able to conceive already know they can have a career and family. MANY working women already have both. There would have been zero reasons to share that known knowledge with anyone.

I hope I'm alive and physically capable of enjoying grandchildren. I don't suspect I will be seeing any for more than a decade. I'm perfectly fine with that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:25 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Yeah, I don't think he was saying that. The women who are able to conceive already know they can have a career and family. MANY working women already have both. There would have been zero reasons to share that known knowledge with anyone.

I hope I'm alive and physically capable of enjoying grandchildren. I don't suspect I will be seeing any for more than a decade. I'm perfectly fine with that.

You don't think people need to be reminded about priorities. You are a better man than I.

Save the last dance for me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

You don't think people need to be reminded about priorities. You are a better man than I.

Having children isn't a priority for everyone. We have members in our community who decided not to have children. Some have physical issues. Others don't want the responsibility. I also know people (Not in this community) who want their genetics to die with them because of issues they have/had with their family.

Any woman who desires the role of biological motherhood understands the priorities that come with that responsibility. For a variety of reasons, some may not be good at it, but I think all understand the priorities that come with being a parent.

Besides, he would have addressed both parties if it were solely about balancing life with the priorities of being a quality parent and caregiver.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:48 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Having children isn't a priority for everyone. We have members in our community who decided not to have children. Some have physical issues. Others don't want the responsibility. I also know people (Not in this community) who want their genetics to die with them because of issues they have/had with their family.

Any woman who desires the role of biological motherhood understands the priorities that come with that responsibility. For a variety of reasons, some may not be good at it, but I think all understand the priorities that come with being a parent.

Besides, he would have addressed both parties if it were solely about balancing life with the priorities of being a quality parent and caregiver.

He did

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Nas wrote:
Contrary to what some may believe, women aren't passing up on having kids to take orders at McDonald's or put together PowerPoint presentations. They're executives, partners, and even leaders of countries.

For decades, a male dominated society complained about the number of children women were having. After these women were abandoned by an ambitious spouse, they were shunned by a society that didn't want to foot the bill to care for their 3+ kids. Now, MANY female offspring of these women have decided to delay having kids. Instead of having seven, they have one or two.

Historically, it wasn't young women raising the MANY kids. It was grandparents living in the homes with these young women and getting a "do over". Now, grandparents are too young and/or still working themselves. Every woman doesn't have a multi million dollar spouse to pay for nannies like the Butker family does. Every woman doesn't have a spouse who earns enough to take care of the entire family. That means women have to work. That means an expensive daycare is the only option if they're having more than one child.

Also, a biological woman taking part in a Hallmark celebration doesn't mean that she believes being a mother is the greatest thing that's happened to her. There are a lot of men that celebrate Father's Day, even though their only contribution was having sex and having a sperm cell beat enormous odds.

Again, for the 434th time that I've said it here...Unionize the country. So much bullshit .... just goes away. Capitalist collective bargaining. Power negotiating with power. I love Elon Musk's brain, I'd give it a blowjob, but he doesn't get to demand a $54 billion payout. Not until his workers can be a one income household IF they so desire.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:21 pm 

Brick wrote:

You don’t have to like the message to understand the point was about family & motherhood in comparison with alternatives.

It's not about liking or disliking the message. It is about the obvious part of his speech which did say that your life doesn't start until you become a homemaker. It may be correct.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
good dolphin wrote:
I guess technically he did allow his wife to have professional aspirations.

I say all of this to you because I’ve seen it firsthand how much happier someone can be when they disregard the outside noise and move closer and closer to God’s will in their life. Isabelle’s dream of having a career might not have come true. But if you ask her today, if she has any regrets on her decision, she would laugh out loud without hesitation and say, “heck no.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:36 pm 

Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

It's not about liking or disliking the message. It is about the obvious part of his speech which did say that your life doesn't start until you become a homemaker. It may be correct.

If it’s obvious you wouldn’t have to universalize an anecdote he told about his wife.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:06 pm 

Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

If it’s obvious you wouldn’t have to universalize an anecdote he told about his wife.

I didn't include the previous paragraph but now I have to in order to show that this wasn't simply him giving an anecdote about his wife.

Quote:
For the ladies present today, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. You should be proud of all that you have achieved to this point in your young lives. I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.

I can tell you that my beautiful wife, Isabelle, would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother. I'm on the stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation. I'm beyond blessed with the many talents God has given me, but it cannot be overstated that all of my success is made possible because a girl I met in band class back in middle school would convert to the faith, become my wife, and embrace one of the most important titles of all: homemaker.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:52 pm 

“Life truly started” is a clear reference to his wife’s POV. You can bold whichever passage you like and it’s not going to change that fact.

It’s ok if you don’t agree with his opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

It probably doesn't hurt when your husband has millions of dollars and can pay for whatever assistance is needed. I don’t think most people love working. Anyone who does is probably old as fuck and don’t care about the money. Or they're one of the lucky people who earn a living doing what they're passionate about.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:06 pm 

“Life truly started” is a clear reference to his wife’s POV. You can bold whichever passage you like and it’s not going to change that fact.

So what was the diabolical lie that he referenced immediately before the anecdote about his wife?

I like how you think it was just a story he thought was cool about his wife but it should have no meaning to anyone in the audience.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:17 pm 

Brick wrote:

So what was the diabolical lie that he referenced immediately before the anecdote about his wife?

I like how you think it was just a story he thought was cool about his wife but it should have no meaning to anyone in the audience.

I like how you think his point was that any woman who doesn’t immediately quit work, get married and have children is a waste of life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:21 pm 

What was the diabolical lie?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:36 pm 

Brick wrote:
What was the diabolical lie?

Diabolical lies. Plural.

In context I assume the lies have something to do with the idea that there’s something inherently bad or inferior about homemaking. Or that there are more important things to do than having/raising children. Or that women like his wife will end up unhappy. Idk.

The broader point seemed to me that there are a number of things inside & outside the church pulling people away from what he believes is a life that will lead you closer to God.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: MAGA Pizza

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: MAGA Pizza
UltraMAGA wrote:

Graduation music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqb3NSi ... %26Goldies

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next