Frank Coztansa wrote:
His band is called Go Fuck Yourself.

shut up. He dont want u at his shows.

Post subject: Re: 2020 Concerts thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:42 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Go Fuck Yourself rocks.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:14 am 

We can pretty much kiss this thread goodbye now...

Sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
at least Beach Bunny was good

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:03 pm 

Bagels wrote:
at least Beach Bunny was good

Best show I've seen in a couple years, at least.

I've checked out a few of these live online shows artists are doing from their homes the last couple days.
Yesterday Jeff Rosenstock, tonight Rhett Miller.

Tomorrow BJ Barham and Waxahatchee/Kevin Morby.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:15 am 

The Waxahatchee/Kevin Morby show tonight was mostly awesome. Some hiccups.

The BJ Barham show tonight was mostly poo. Some bright spots. Lots of tech difficulties.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Soooo....

For everyone but Don Tiny, Bob Marley and the Wailers on XRT tonight at 9 PM. Taped from some 1975 show in some random small charming venue here in the city of Chicago.

Relish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:08 pm 

Can you say Trenchtown Rock? Good times.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:24 pm 

The old man dance is perfect with the reggae music.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:01 pm 

Good hour. Clean sound all around. Friday is....somebody at 9.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
T-Bone wrote:
Ended up getting tickets to see The Avett Brothers at Red Rocks in July for our 5 yr anniversary. Never been to that area together so should be a fun couple days away. Maybe PJ will swing back through the Midwest at a later date.

RedRocks show postponed and rescheduled to July 2021. We plan to keep the tickets and go next year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
shirtless driver wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

Smashing Pumpkins are opening a handful of dates on this tour, but not the Wrigley Field show.
Billy doesn't want to get outshined a mile from his house?

I'm not the world's biggest Billy Pumpkin fan but I'm getting old and I'm not ashamed to say I teared up a little tonight when he sang

"And the embers never fade
In your city by the lake
The place where you were born"

and the guy next to me with an accent just like mine gave me a knowing look.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Here's the complete Metallica show at Soldier Field from two and four days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j32DLHjI5Uk

I really regret not going to this show. It seemed risky to go at night with this heavy metal crowd and then have to make it out of the parking lot and travel all the way back to the Western Suburbs at 1:00 or 2:00 a.m.

From the footage I've seen of this and other concerts on this tour, Metallica is the best band in the world today.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Dignified Rube wrote:

I really regret not going to this show. It seemed risky to go at night with this heavy metal crowd and then have to make it out of the parking lot and travel all the way back to the Western Suburbs at 1:00 or 2:00 a.m.

From the footage I've seen of this and other concerts on this tour, Metallica is the best band in the world today.

I went both nights....both were great shows in terms of performance and theatrics.

The Friday night set list was as good as any long-time / early fan could expect. Creeping Death, Harvester Of Sorrow, Sad But True, Master Of Puppets, Orion, Fade To Black, and Blackened all in one night.

Soldier Field is a logistical nightmare. I am 100% the city of Chicago intentionally tried making it as impractical as possible.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:29 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

Smashing Pumpkins are opening a handful of dates on this tour, but not the Wrigley Field show.
Billy doesn't want to get outshined a mile from his house?

I'm not the world's biggest Billy Pumpkin fan but I'm getting old and I'm not ashamed to say I teared up a little tonight when he sang

"And the embers never fade
In your city by the lake
The place where you were born"

and the guy next to me with an accent just like mine gave me a knowing look.

we had a chance to go but the seats would've been total shit. actually the band i was looking most forward to seeing was the opener, Linda Lindas. Their debut album kicks ass. And no one would've really cared so if I could've gotten floor tickets we could've been right up there next to the stage.

speaking of that song, Snail Mail does a great cover of it. actually sounds like it came out of the 90's, like the original, but is her own take. she's pretty old school in her approach.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:06 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

I went both nights....both were great shows in terms of performance and theatrics.

The Friday night set list was as good as any long-time / early fan could expect. Creeping Death, Harvester Of Sorrow, Sad But True, Master Of Puppets, Orion, Fade To Black, and Blackened all in one night.

Soldier Field is a logistical nightmare. I am 100% the city of Chicago intentionally tried making it as impractical as possible.

That's awesome you went. I really regret not going on Sunday.

Clips of Fade to Black and One show this was a legendary concert. The energy seemed spectacular in Soldier Field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdJbZus ... rt_radio=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqb7dbsszLo

Whoever recorded these clips did an outstanding job.

Metallica is the best band in the world. Posters are already going for $250 - $300 on eBay of these Chicago shows.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I've had a really good year of concerts. Magnetic Fields, Cheekface, Belle and Sebastian, CSS, Julia Holter, Camera Obscura, Wilco, Afghan Whigs, Guster, Dweezil Zappa a few nights ago. Wilco was the best one, Afghan Whigs both times felt like they leave something on the table but at least this time they played "66" and "Faded," Zappa was great but I was second balcony and easily the least repulsive person in my vicinity, which was a first.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 2:50 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I've had a really good year of concerts. Magnetic Fields, Cheekface, Belle and Sebastian, CSS, Julia Holter, Camera Obscura, Wilco, Afghan Whigs, Guster, Dweezil Zappa a few nights ago. Wilco was the best one, Afghan Whigs both times felt like they leave something on the table but at least this time they played "66" and "Faded," Zappa was great but I was second balcony and easily the least repulsive person in my vicinity, which was a first.

I had a few other friends who went to the Zappa show...unfortunately, I was out of town. I definitely want to go see him one of these days

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Going to Green Day, Pumpkinis, Rancid, Linda Lindas at Miller Park on Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:16 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I had a few other friends who went to the Zappa show...unfortunately, I was out of town. I definitely want to go see him one of these days

I highly recommend it. The band has amazing chops and it's pretty much all killer, no filler. Unless your favorite part of the Frank Zappa oeuvre was when he would make poop jokes over a vamp, you'll have a great time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 4:50 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I highly recommend it. The band has amazing chops and it's pretty much all killer, no filler. Unless your favorite part of the Frank Zappa oeuvre was when he would make poop jokes over a vamp, you'll have a great time.

I need to dig deeper ion the Zappa library. I love Apostrophe, Joe's Garage, and Hot Rats....more research required. Later in his career....The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life...amazing stuff there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:26 pm 

If you like Hot Rats, move on to Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo, where he stuck with fusion but shifted from a jungle of Ian Underwood overdubs to a larger ensemble. Sleep Dirt was originally subtitled Hot Rats III (W/J is Hot Rats II) but FZ retconned half the album years later with vocal/drum overdubs to be some sort of opera about a spider from outer space that was also a black guy or something and it didn't really work. Studio Tan is from the same sessions or thereabouts as Sleep Dirt but has Jean-Luc Ponty and Ruth Underwood going nuts on violin and marimba, resp., and I'm a huge fan.

Also a big fan of the last few years of the original Mothers, when Zappa had one or both Underwoods to do the heavy lifting but otherwise pushed the rest of them as far as they could go: Uncle Meat, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, and Burnt Weeny Sandwich. The '88 Best Band as you mentioned, was extremely talented, but sounded kind of rigid at times and that was also when Zappa made everyone do that faux-reggae thing too much.

Flo and Eddie era does nothing for me. Chunga's Revenge is good, but most of what's good is from Hot Rats outtakes.

I don't think many people are fans of the Synclavier era but Frank Zappa Meets the Mothers of Prevention has a special place in my heart. I choose to interpret the Synclavier stuff as kind of a subversion of '80s/'90s library music, using the same technology used in service of beds for disposable radio commercials but making it do crazy marimba runs and fart noises. Really, Frank just got tired of hiring musicians.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:51 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
I saw Marilyn Manson on Saturday. Great show, very entertained.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:59 pm 

I asked Chat GPT about the Metallica Concert at Soldier Field. Here was the reply:

The Metallica concert on August 11, 2024, at Soldier Field in Chicago has been widely praised as one of the most memorable rock performances in recent years. Part of their M72 World Tour, the concert featured an electrifying setlist that spanned their extensive catalog, showcasing both classic hits and newer tracks. The show included standout performances of iconic songs like "Master of Puppets," "Enter Sandman," and "One," all delivered with the energy and intensity that Metallica is known for.

What made the concert even more remarkable was the atmosphere at Soldier Field, which was packed with tens of thousands of enthusiastic fans. The stage production was top-notch, with impressive pyrotechnics, a dynamic light show, and a massive sound system that ensured every note resonated throughout the stadium. The band also brought along supporting acts like Five Finger Death Punch and Ice Nine Kills, adding to the overall experience and setting the stage for a night of powerful performances.

Many attendees and critics have described the concert as a highlight of the year, if not the decade, for live rock music. The combination of Metallica's legendary status, the scale of the event, and the flawless execution contributed to making this show a strong contender for one of the greatest rock concerts ever held​.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:07 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
I asked Chat GPT about the Metallica Concert at Soldier Field. Here was the reply:

The Metallica concert on August 11, 2024, at Soldier Field in Chicago has been widely praised as one of the most memorable rock performances in recent years. Part of their M72 World Tour, the concert featured an electrifying setlist that spanned their extensive catalog, showcasing both classic hits and newer tracks. The show included standout performances of iconic songs like "Master of Puppets," "Enter Sandman," and "One," all delivered with the energy and intensity that Metallica is known for.

What made the concert even more remarkable was the atmosphere at Soldier Field, which was packed with tens of thousands of enthusiastic fans. The stage production was top-notch, with impressive pyrotechnics, a dynamic light show, and a massive sound system that ensured every note resonated throughout the stadium. The band also brought along supporting acts like Five Finger Death Punch and Ice Nine Kills, adding to the overall experience and setting the stage for a night of powerful performances.

Many attendees and critics have described the concert as a highlight of the year, if not the decade, for live rock music. The combination of Metallica's legendary status, the scale of the event, and the flawless execution contributed to making this show a strong contender for one of the greatest rock concerts ever held​.

Dude, she's not going to blow you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
look Brick you can see Jelly Roll and Nelly on the same day

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:48 pm 

Tindersticks just announced a Chicago show for this April. I was supposed to see them at Thalia in late March 2020. Something happened. I can't wait for this.

Tortoise will be at Outset next month. I'll see YOU there, JORR!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:32 pm 

Took the kids to Imagine Dragons last weekend.

End of in person report…

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:41 pm 

One Post wrote:

End of in person report…

I'm sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:06 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
One Post wrote:

End of in person report…

I'm sorry.

Yeah I get it, but I took my kids to Imagine Dragons.