It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who holds this opinion. I've never got the Terry Boers love. I started listening in 01/02, and he was already phoning it in at that point. The show was better when he was on vacation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
HFC was a great show. We all recognized Terry had mailed it in at some point during B & B. Plenty of posts about his ISDN line and messages on his answering machine. He was great and funny but packed it in too early.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
denisdman wrote:
HFC was a great show. We all recognized Terry had mailed it in at some point during B & B. Plenty of posts about his ISDN line and messages on his answering machine. He was great and funny but packed it in too early.

I'm not sure that it was consistently great, but its recipe for success heavily relied on Mac as the dominant personality and a stellar array of regular callers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Warren Newson wrote:
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who holds this opinion. I've never got the Terry Boers love. I started listening in 01/02, and he was already phoning it in at that point. The show was better when he was on vacation.

I believe he started literally phoning it in during the Dan Ryan construction of '06, when it was prohibitively difficult to get from Mokena to downtown every day, so he got them to install an ISDN line. The original WFH.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I believe he started literally phoning it in during the Dan Ryan construction of '06, when it was prohibitively difficult to get from Mokena to downtown every day, so he got them to install an ISDN line. The original WFH.

suburbs win again

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
The HFC was before my time, so to speak, but to my ears Terry Boers from '05-'09 was pretty damn good. Once he handed the reins over to Dan during Penn State Rape Radio he was just a muttering "and members of..." shell of himself, to be sure.

Thinking about it now, didn't he have a love for basketball that almost surpassed Bernstein's?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:37 pm 

Terry was a funny guy who, much like his hero Letterman, felt the self-deprecating schtick was the way to go - all while still taking shots at people. He was good with Mac, then good with Bernstein....until Terry fully decided that he'd just ride the coattails of the evolving SJW Bernsie. At that point he just came became a parrot, where Dan would do his super important voice for 4 minutes about whatever then Terry would mutter "uh yah, I mean that's exactly right". These days of Terry were very frustrating, as you knew he had once had the energy to challenge his dbag partner and simply wouldn't. I get that he was not well for some amount of time at the end, but I recall that he checked out well before his health really started to fail.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Warren Newson wrote:

this is from 08, he was still pretty decent here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyzhYToAQtQ&t=366s

I've come to believe over the years that Penn State was an issue that caused both guys to get so far beyond angry that they couldn't find their way back to funny radio. Maybe the health issues came to the front during that time too. But that's when the show took a turn and they couldn't find their way back. Believe me, they both knew it too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Tall Midget wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I'm not sure that it was consistently great, but its recipe for success heavily relied on Mac as the dominant personality and a stellar array of regular callers.

You had to listen closely and be a regular listener to catch a lot of Uncle Terry's clever quips. The stuff he did with the "experts" the station used to pay back in the day was often hilarious, but had to know that when he said, "awfully good", it was a rip on Chuck Daly, who the station paid a ton of money to each week to appear as an expert and have an opinion on players, having no idea or opinion on a player.

The Ditka show stuff and of course the Murph ripping is still being used at the station today, not sure if you can say he was not a key player in the stations history?

Does seem that the guys that were producers have a level of disdain for guys like Uncle Terry and Pappy who did not work for years cutting tape for Chet or working as reporters, but the unique personalities helped launch and grow the station.

If the station had launched with the current lineup, it wouldn't have made it six months.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
I said this years ago. Mully literally just screams in the mic until commercial with the same line. "ITS MULLLLLLAYYYY, ITSSS HANLEYYYYY ITS THE SCOREEEEE!!!"'' ITS MULLLAY ITS HAUGH ITSS THE SCOREEE.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Clawmaster wrote:

If the station had launched with the current lineup, it wouldn't have made it six months.

Chet would have kicked their ass. Even the terrible post-Chet WMVP 1.0 would have, probably.

By the time TB got sick enough to take most of the year off before officially retiring B&B were good pretty much only on Bears Mondays.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Peqouds
Actually didnt mind listening to Ruthie Polinsky on Score this afternoon. Dont know anything about her. Doubt if she will be replacement for Parkins, but much better than Leila.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
brucester001 wrote:
Actually didnt mind listening to Ruthie Polinsky on Score this afternoon. Dont know anything about her. Doubt if she will be replacement for Parkins, but much better than Leila.

I thought same. She’s also good looking but radio wouldn’t help you with that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Eddie is co-hosting with Spiegs on Thursday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:44 pm 

brucester001 wrote:

Ruthie? Is this broad 77 years old?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:55 am 

pizza_Place: Peqouds
Douchebag wrote:
brucester001 wrote:

Ruthie? Is this broad 77 years old?

I wish 77 year olds all looked like this
https://images.app.goo.gl/3bGUq1wooqxh61uQA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:13 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Eddie is co-hosting with Spiegs on Thursday.

see, I told you they'd like to expand their brands

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:52 am 

If you're looking to meet Jason Goff in person, here's your opportunity:

https://printersrowlitfest.org/event/jason-goff/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:26 am 

Warren Newson wrote:

Did he write a book? Why is he at Lit Fest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:50 am 
1000 CLUB

I still don’t understand why we don’t have an answer if Goff is still doing Bulls broadcasts. Nobody here has an answer. I thought some of you listen to his podcasts. Figured he would have mentioned something.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:53 am 

The longer this goes the less likely it would appear to be Goff.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:15 am 
1000 CLUB

I guess it’s just weird on reinsdorf’s part. We’re a month away from preseason games. Not to have people in place is astonishing. It’s a full time job. If you were interviewing candidates it should have been decided by now.

Any candidate would need to know by now one would think. Cuz it kind of affects their life.

But it’s Jerry. He really doesn’t care about anything at this stage of his life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:32 am 
1000 CLUB

Also, any word on distribution of this new network? All cable companies gonna get it?

This goes to our stupid Chicago sports media. They’re a month away from launching and nobody is reporting on any of this shit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:39 am 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
Also, any word on distribution of this new network? All cable companies gonna get it?

This goes to our stupid Chicago sports media. They’re a month away from launching and nobody is reporting on any of this shit.

I'm sure Dan and Lawrence already know all of the details. They're just protecting their sources.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:40 am 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
I still don’t understand why we don’t have an answer if Goff is still doing Bulls broadcasts. Nobody here has an answer. I thought some of you listen to his podcasts. Figured he would have mentioned something.

Holmes hasn't dropped any nuggets as of late last week. He usually likes to let everyone know that he has inside information. So it's a little quiet at the moment, but that doesn't mean anything yet.

I'm actually surprised though that they haven't named a replacement by now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:08 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Did he write a book? Why is he at Lit Fest

The Lit Fest's website is really hard to read on a phone, but it looks like he's going to be interviewing Scoop Jackson, about this book:

https://www.nantucketbookpartners.com/b ... 1637272312

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
You can bet the Range Rover Repo Man will be there to pick up Goff’s ride.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: delivery
denisdman wrote:
You can bet the Range Rover Repo Man will be there to pick up Goff’s ride.

I'm ready to roll. I've been doing gigs for Lincoln Park Towing to make ends meet while waiting for this day

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: delivery
Warren Newson wrote:

Good to know a location that's great to get the repo done at

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 4:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Mitch doing the low-effort (and in this case correct) move here and just letting BEARS take over.

Why hire a full-time co-host if you can just have Spiegs&Co.? Pat Mannelly in today, fine.

they don't need to do anything to gin up listenership for the next, what, six months? Spiegel is a professional show driver and isn't going to turn people off (or in the case of some forum members, gain snowflake hate-listeners). Have a co-host on Monday. And Friday. You have Grote every day. And then pay a bunch of beat writers in gift certificates to come in for 20 minutes at a time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next