It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1545, 1546, 1547, 1548, 1549
 Post subject: Re: Julie DiCaro!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:17 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brady brings an audience no matter how bad he is.

Not sure if that's any more true than Troy Aikman bringing an audience when he had the job. The NFC late game is almost always the most-watched game of the week, pace the flexing and maneuvering for Sunday nights, based on the teams/markets involved and the timeslot. That's why I'm surprised Fox bothered with Brady at all: I don't think they suffered one bit by having Greg Olsen work those games after Buck and Aikman left. I think it was critical for Fox to get Summerall and Madden as their #1 team when they were getting established, but at this stage of Fox Sports and of NFL telecasting in general, they don't need that name value anymore.

The whole thing doesn't really work for me because if he's the GOAT, it should be beneath him to schlep around from press box to press box like this. Think of how much it would have demystified Michael Jordan if he had sat next to Mike Breen every Wednesday night to yammer through some Mavericks-Clippers game.

Biggest opening week end in NFL history.

MANY people I know listen with the sound down. There is no announcer worth what any of these guys are making.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brady brings an audience no matter how bad he is.

Not sure if that's any more true than Troy Aikman bringing an audience when he had the job. The NFC late game is almost always the most-watched game of the week, pace the flexing and maneuvering for Sunday nights, based on the teams/markets involved and the timeslot. That's why I'm surprised Fox bothered with Brady at all: I don't think they suffered one bit by having Greg Olsen work those games after Buck and Aikman left. I think it was critical for Fox to get Summerall and Madden as their #1 team when they were getting established, but at this stage of Fox Sports and of NFL telecasting in general, they don't need that name value anymore.

The whole thing doesn't really work for me because if he's the GOAT, it should be beneath him to schlep around from press box to press box like this. Think of how much it would have demystified Michael Jordan if he had sat next to Mike Breen every Wednesday night to yammer through some Mavericks-Clippers game.

Without having listened, Brady in general has zero personality or anything interesting to say. Now I’m sure he knows what he’s looking at on a football field but can he translate that into something people want to listen to given his already milquetoast personality? I have zero desire to watch just because he’s broadcasting. Olsen kinda got fucked and he was a pretty good listen.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Seacrest wrote:
MANY people I know listen with the sound down. There is no announcer worth what any of these guys are making.

I agree with this.

Tony Romo is certainly overpaid himself, but for those who do have the sound up, he has cultivated a personality and some sort of value add, even if the personality is increasingly just going "OHHH AHHH AWWW OHHHH WHOOOA OHHH JIM AHHH OOHH WAAAAH." (Hey, it didn't hurt Terry Boers.) But Romo was not a legend of the game. He was a pretty good quarterback who was a step below a good number of his contemporaries. He has the latitude to reinvent himself as a character we watch on TV that I don't think Brady really has.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:40 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Without having listened, Brady in general has zero personality or anything interesting to say. Now I’m sure he knows what he’s looking at on a football field but can he translate that into something people want to listen to given his already milquetoast personality? I have zero desire to watch just because he’s broadcasting. Olsen kinda got fucked and he was a pretty good listen.

https://youtu.be/U7BYK0hZibk?t=1539 DFW's thoughts on the matter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I agree with this.

Tony Romo is certainly overpaid himself, but for those who do have the sound up, he has cultivated a personality and some sort of value add, even if the personality is increasingly just going "OHHH AHHH AWWW OHHHH WHOOOA OHHH JIM AHHH OOHH WAAAAH." (Hey, it didn't hurt Terry Boers.) But Romo was not a legend of the game. He was a pretty good quarterback who was a step below a good number of his contemporaries. He has the latitude to reinvent himself as a character we watch on TV that I don't think Brady really has.

My oft repeated refrain is I just don’t understand why these guys who already made a bajillion dollars ( Manning, Brady) want to keep working at all when for the vast majority of people , being retired and having more money than you can spend in 10 lifetimes would be nirvana. These guys are just built differently.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
The Mannings at least get to talk to some pretty famous people outside of sports and they probably do less show prep than Dan Bernstein. Brady (if/when the NFL allows it) ends up talking to some nobody offensive coordinator or shitty QB a few days a week before he even takes the air.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
badrogue17 wrote:
My oft repeated refrain is I just don’t understand why these guys who already made a bajillion dollars ( Manning, Brady) want to keep working at all when for the vast majority of people , being retired and having more money than you can spend in 10 lifetimes would be nirvana. These guys are just built differently.

I think it would be hard to let go of the camaraderie and success especially for someone that had so much success.

Curious Hair wrote:

I think Jordan did worse. He did the part owner and head of operations thing.

I like when retired players move on to be good broadcasters. It's better when they are a big name.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I agree with this.

I love Romo. I appear to be in the minority. Everybody keeps praising Aikman but to me the guy sounds more and more affected by his concussions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:22 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I agree with this.

I love Romo. I appear to be in the minority.

Tony Romo is Vin Scully compared to that dumbass he replaced (Phil Simms)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:26 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I agree with this.

I love Romo. I appear to be in the minority. Everybody keeps praising Aikman but to me the guy sounds more and more affected by his concussions.

Everyone hates every announcer besides Jason Benetti.

Ultimately, I think everyone just compares all modern announcers to what we think Madden, Michaels, and other great announcers were rather than what they really were. That's not to say they weren't great. In 2045, we'll probably talking about how great Romo and Brady were and how much the new guys suck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

City of Fools wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I agree with this.

I love Romo. I appear to be in the minority.

I gave Tony Romo his start in the biz. Good guy, even though he's from WI.

I'm still not turning on a game to listen to him. But I haven't turned off the sound since Dan Deirdorf did MNF.

Mark Sanchez almost had me turning the sound down on Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
City of Fools wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I agree with this.

Agree…he’s lovably goofy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Jaw Breaker wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I agree with this.

Agree…he’s lovably goofy.

I love Romo too.

But I didn't turn on the Chiefs game yesterday to listen to him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
the play by play guys all sound the same to me. Joe Davis was doing the Packers game and i thought it was Adam Amin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:58 pm 

I can still tell the CBS guys apart, though Ian Eagle tries harder and harder to skinwalk Kevin Harlan every year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1545, 1546, 1547, 1548, 1549