It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Brick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
It matters to Dan that he ended being the smart kid, in the dumb row. And he can't say he wasn't warned about this is how it would end for him.

Greenberg, Parkins, Portnoy and others have become what he always longed to be.

Doesn't mean that Dan wasn't successful here. It does mean that he didn't become a star on a much bigger stage.

My take has always been that Dan chose the easy and stable life he ended up with. He could have taken his chances at ESPN but why risk the good life he had with the Boers and Bernstein show to work his way up to being a regular on Around The Horn?

There are hundreds of guys that have tried to do what Greenberg did and failed. There are hundreds of guys that have tried to do what Bernstein did and failed too.

I feel you are correct. I do think he made the right call for him and has the family and life he enjoys. I also still thinks he has angst that he has not lived up to either his dad's dreams or his colleague circle growing up that are not really rich lawyers and doctors. Either way he still can and does act like a douche and per his treatment of others is deserving of fallout.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:34 am 

Brick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
It matters to Dan that he ended being the smart kid, in the dumb row. And he can't say he wasn't warned about this is how it would end for him.

Doesn't mean that Dan wasn't successful here. It does mean that he didn't become a star on a much bigger stage.

My take has always been that Dan chose the easy and stable life he ended up with. He could have taken his chances at ESPN but why risk the good life he had with the Boers and Bernstein show to work his way up to being a regular on Around The Horn?

There are hundreds of guys that have tried to do what Greenberg did and failed. There are hundreds of guys that have tried to do what Bernstein did and failed too.

Yep and that is what Dan has basically said on numerous occasions. He got to have a great job for a number of years in his home area with his family.

There are no doubt many who hate him that have worked at the Score. But there are also many who have spoke highly of him and probably some who have a love/hate relationship with him. Larry definitely fits in that category. He has at times worshipped Dan trying to imitate him and then other times is ready to rip his head off. Boers has spoken very well of him. Tanney has. Hell even Danny Mac has said in the last few years that he and Bernsie have come to a good place and they enjoy talking and going over fishing stuff.

He has had a great career. And whether you love him or hate him he is a giant in Chicago sports radio history.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:40 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
RFDC wrote:
Brick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Yep and that is what Dan has basically said on numerous occasions. He got to have a great job for a number of years in his home area with his family.

There are no doubt many who hate him that have worked at the Score. But there are also many who have spoke highly of him and probably some who have a love/hate relationship with him. Larry definitely fits in that category. He has at times worshipped Dan trying to imitate him and then other times is ready to rip his head off. Boers has spoken very well of him. Tanney has. Hell even Danny Mac has said in the last few years that he and Bernsie have come to a good place and they enjoy talking and going over fishing stuff.

He has had a great career. And whether you love him or hate him he is a giant in Chicago sports radio history.

He recently taught Parkins or Spiegs son how to fish.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Nas wrote:
He recently taught Parkins or Spiegs son how to fish.

And they'll be fed for a lifetime!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:47 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Brick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I agree and recall him saying in the past that Greenberg would've helped him make the leap to ESPN, but he didn't want to give up his lifestyle in Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:49 am 

pittmike wrote:
Brick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I feel you are correct. I do think he made the right call for him and has the family and life he enjoys. I also still thinks he has angst that he has not lived up to either his dad's dreams or his colleague circle growing up that are not really rich lawyers and doctors. Either way he still can and does act like a douche and per his treatment of others is deserving of fallout.

I think he does realize that his career was lucrative but not really important. He didn't move the world forward. I am still in the middle of my career and I'm already realizing that nothing good ever came of anything I've ever done or will do profesionally. You either accept that you really were insignificant or you try and do what you can to have an impact. I think that is a lot of where the overreaction to Penn State and what followed came from. There were young reporters breaking stories on an absolutely horrific set of crimes and people who looked past it. Meanwhile, be sure to turn in for WYC and we can discuss if Jay Cutler is better than Josh McCown.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Even when it came to non-SJW things, the over-the-top way Bernstein went after Paul Edinger was pretty shitty and he was strangely cruel and vindictive towards Ron Santo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:55 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Even when it came to non-SJW things, the over-the-top way Bernstein went after Paul Edinger was pretty shitty and he was strangely cruel and vindictive towards Ron Santo.

The hatred for Ron Santo was mostly Terry's thing, as I recall. The insinuation, or maybe he just came right out and said it, was always that Santo deserved to lose his legs because he drank while being diabetic. Harsh judgment from someone I don't remember being a paragon of good life choices himself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:56 am 
1000 CLUB

He called Whitney Houston a crack whore when she died. No sympathy for her substance abuse problem from Dan Bernstein back then. He wouldn’t say that now. Just shit like that gets you canceled.

Called nba players wang whippers. Doesn’t do it now cuz it was always code for the n word.

Said Dusty Baker was lying about getting racist mail.

Told poor black people that they should just move out of bad neighborhoods. Told poor people to just make more money.

Plenty of examples of Dan being a racist. All of the above now get you canceled.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:03 am 
1000 CLUB

Boobie season was announced on the first 80 degree day by Bernstein.

I wonder what Leila thinks now that she’s learning of Dan’s past? Probably hates him but she likes being on the radio so she will still work with the sexist. Integrity is one thing. But ya know…

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:04 am 

Boobie season is a great time.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Curious Hair wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

The hatred for Ron Santo was mostly Terry's thing, as I recall. The insinuation, or maybe he just came right out and said it, was always that Santo deserved to lose his legs because he drank while being diabetic. Harsh judgment from someone I don't remember being a paragon of good life choices himself.

I remember Dan frequently saying that sources within the JDRF didn't want Santo as a spokesman for their organization. IIRC, when it was announced on the station that Santo died Bernstein said "Good!"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:14 am 
100000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
He called Whitney Houston a crack whore when she died. No sympathy for her substance abuse problem from Dan Bernstein back then. He wouldn’t say that now. Just shit like that gets you canceled.

Called nba players wang whippers. Doesn’t do it now cuz it was always code for the n word.

Told poor black people that they should just move out of bad neighborhoods. Told poor people to just make more money.

Plenty of examples of Dan being a racist. All of the above now get you canceled.

Until becoming less ignorant about substance abuse over the past 5 years or so, I was also in the no sympathy camp. I believed all you needed was some willpower. I just stopped publicly speaking on it to avoid arguments. I was dead wrong.

You've gotten the opportunity to witness Bernstein mature from a 23-25 year old kid. We all evolve.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:21 am 

Nas wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Until becoming less ignorant about substance abuse over the past 5 years or so, I was also in the no sympathy camp. I believed all you needed was some willpower. I just stopped publicly speaking on it to avoid arguments. I was dead wrong.

You've gotten the opportunity to witness Bernstein mature from a 23-25 year old kid. We all evolve.

Most people who evolve don't shit on what they were themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:33 am 
100000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
Nas wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Most people who evolve don't shit on what they were themselves.

I disagree. A lot of us have children who have some tendencies we grew out of. Those tendencies can piss us off. MANY of us act as if we were never those things.

In Bernstein's case, I'm sure he's evolved on some issues. On others, he's putting out what our current society demands so he can continue providing for his family. I may roll my eyes at it, but I don't fault him for it. If any of us had to take purity tests, we would fail.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:35 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
I don't think he's worried a single bit. It won't lose him listeners. No rational person is going to care about decades old tweets. The worst the Barstool guys can do to him is the equivalent of screaming Ba Ba Booey at a remote.

He's a 55 year old guy with a nice contract, money in the bank and a fat inheritance in the not too distant future. Even further, he has parents, siblings, a spouse and kids who love him. He wouldn't care a lick if he left sports talk radio once his kids get out of school and he's set them up for their future.

Sorry Beardown, you lose this one.

This is 100% correct.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:56 am 

Nas wrote:
Beardown wrote:

You white knighting for Dan is something else. The amount of grace you give him is admirable (seriously), we should all allow for people to change/grow and not constantly hold their past against them - for sure. Unfortunately Dan has a long and storied on-air history of NOT allowing for this same grace - summarily judging people off something as small as a soundbyte, digging his heels in, rinse and repeat. This super shitty character flaw is why so many dislike the guy - and are, for at least a bit, basking in the potential schadenfreude....a comeuppance if you will, for years of judging and pissing on people while changing lanes and never acknowledging his many hypocrisies. The past? As I heard him once say, it's a 'great indicator of who a person really is'. His past? Oh, he's 'just an id1ot and you shouldn't listen to anything he says' :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Brick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Brick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I think he does realize that his career was lucrative but not really important. He didn't move the world forward. I am still in the middle of my career and I'm already realizing that nothing good ever came of anything I've ever done or will do profesionally. You either accept that you really were insignificant or you try and do what you can to have an impact. I think that is a lot of where the overreaction to Penn State and what followed came from. There were young reporters breaking stories on an absolutely horrific set of crimes and people who looked past it. Meanwhile, be sure to turn in for WYC and we can discuss if Jay Cutler is better than Josh McCown.

You touch the people you can and make your immediate surroundings better.

You've made me laugh on many ocassions. I'm sorry that isn't enough for you to feel you've made the world a better place.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:05 pm 

Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Brick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

You've made me laugh on many ocassions. I'm sorry that isn't enough for you to feel you've made the world a better place.

I was only talking about professionally. I don't even view it as a bad thing. It was simply labor for compensation. It didn't need to have an impact. It was just something that happened.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:09 pm 

Brick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Greenberg wouldn't be Greenberg if he looked like Bernstein.

Bernstein is hugely successful. He has a great job making top of the market coin and working 20 hours per week. Most of the people even at ESPN national would give their left arm for his success. He's a top 1% across all radio genres in terms of earning.

I don't think he sheds any tears over not being national and I don't think he would have succeeded half as much if had taken that route

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I doubt anything amounting to "professional ruin" happens. I highly doubt Bernstein gets "cancelled" (Fired? Suspended? Whatever) over things stoolies dredge up and share screenshots of on social media. What else are stoolies going to do, try to ruin the national prospects he doesn't have (anymore)? Harass him on a social media platform that, another thing CH was right on, he doesn't use in the way that allows Barstool trolls to get at him? Bernstein will live tweet some events and put his phone down, I doubt he even gets reply notifications. I also doubt that Dan has read the text line in years, so the only option left is barraging the phone line of a show that rarely takes callers, as well as inundating the YouTube and Twitch stream chats which he very, very likely does not read.

Dan appears very well insulated from anything Barstool fans could try to do to impact his professional life (outside of illegal shit like swatting). The only solace really is the pure schadenfreude of watching a once-titan, now-troglodyte of sports talk be a petty dickhead to someone on the bleeding edge of the industry that has so quickly passed by that very lonely hermit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

Terry's own cancer was probably caused by his own heavy drinking.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:26 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

Terry's own cancer was probably caused by his own heavy drinking.

Or chain smoking when younger.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:28 pm 

Brick wrote:
Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Brick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I was only talking about professionally. I don't even view it as a bad thing. It was simply labor for compensation. It didn't need to have an impact. It was just something that happened.

I agree with you.

He may not be a lawyer or doctor like others in the family. Most of them would change places with him, in exchange for not having to go through the 3-8 years of schooling and then grinding for another 10. Anyway, some people on the outside see a doctor or lawyer from a movie perspective. Meanwhile, the reality of doctoring is seeing a patient for 7.5 minutes or performing 10 knee replacements in a day. Most lawyers aren't arguing before the supreme court, which isn't all its cracked up to be anyway. You write a stupid brief you've written 100 times before.

As I may have told you before, Julie Di Caro was a lawyer making an impact every day in a field she cared deeply about and gave it all away to read sports scores at :30 and :60.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

By the way, I do not want to see Bernstein canceled. He is a talented talk show host. I’ve always said that about him. He’s quick witted and has made me laugh through the years. Very few radio people make me laugh.

Just pointing out how stupid he was for opening this door. Somebody as smart as him should have known this would be coming when taking on a media power house. And he opened the door over something stupid.

People have been canceled for far less. And I believe he’s worried.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Metro Pizza
Isn't DB's dad (fahtha) some high level attorney (somewhat recently retired)? This could partly explain why DB has never really experienced any blowback for any of his behavior.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
DazeInVegas wrote:
Isn't DB's dad (fahtha) some high level attorney (somewhat recently retired)? This could partly explain why DB has never really experienced any blowback for any of his behavior.

?? i’m guessing in the hierarchy of rich and powerful fathers of radio hosts, Harry Teinowicz’s dad was probably top of the food chain and that didn’t prevent Harry from getting shit canned or rehired anywhere

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

When is his contract up. If it’s soon they can just choose not to renew him.

That’s actually what happened to Harry. He talked about it. He went to rehab. Came back on ESPN 1000 for a little bit after that. Contract was up. And they just didn’t renew him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:51 pm 

Beardown wrote:
When is his contract up. If it’s soon they can just choose not to renew him.

That’s actually what happened to Harry. He talked about it. He went to rehab. Came back on ESPN 1000 for a little bit after that. Contract was up. And they just didn’t renew him.

Depends how much of a pay cut he wants. From what I gather radio guys don’t get raises anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:53 pm 

Dan has the job for as long as he wants it. Presumably, "as long as he wants it" is up until the kids' college is paid for. I can't see him going into business for himself as some independent content creator, or even just lingering around the Score as a fill-in or some sort of ambient contributor. I think he's just playing out the string and then he's done with sports media and on to a third act of moderately well-compensated charity work to keep himself occupied.