It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
you can get used to it if you go to bed at 8:00.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:48 pm 

Chowderhead MacSwain wrote:
My Dad was a Roofer, normally up and moving in the 3:30-4:00am range (typically busting my grapes as I came home from a gig), home by 2:30-3:00pm everyday.

How were you able to stay away away until 4 in the morning? That 5 hour energy drink?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:53 pm 

Ex-Media Guy wrote:
Chowderhead MacSwain wrote:
My Dad was a Roofer, normally up and moving in the 3:30-4:00am range (typically busting my grapes as I came home from a gig), home by 2:30-3:00pm everyday.

How were you able to stay away away until 4 in the morning? That 5 hour energy drink?

In my misbegotten late teens-early 20's I was on a Sound crew working various clubs in town. See avatar...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

City of Fools wrote:
Score is doomed wrote:
Mac wrote:
I am always interested in talented young men.

I'll bet you are!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: And I can help!

fixed
Go lick some ass, it's about all you're good at. :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
see, you had some fun at Mac's expense...I had some fun at your expense...and you had some fun at my expense...The Circle of Life!

SiD, it's scary but I'm actually starting to not mind you anymore...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Except for CoF's quip was actually funny.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
SID needs new moniker ticket to Score is saved in May.

Dan, totally agree - February sucks. Everything about it. The weather is miserable and changes on a whim. The Bulls are usually mired in their race to lose to the top seed in the playoffs. Spring training hasn't gotten rolling, football is over and draft talk hasn't heated up yet. However, the Hawks look mighty good this year. Not ready to hand them the trophy yet, but at least they will make it interesting.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

City of Fools wrote:
see, you had some fun at Mac's expense...I had some fun at your expense...and you had some fun at my expense...The Circle of Life!

SiD, it's scary but I'm actually starting to not mind you anymore...

Very good :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well done

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:47 pm 

Chowderhead wrote: I'll respectfully disagree. My Dad was a Roofer, normally up and moving in the 3:30-4:00am range (typically busting my grapes as I came home from a gig), home by 2:30-3:00pm everyday.

It's not the getting up part... it's the going to bed part COMBINED with the early alarm clock. Can't bail on Monday Night Football if it's close.... gotta watch a fair amount of Sox and Cubs on the West coast if you're going to comment on it in the morning... commenting on the 10:00 news means watching it.... Letterman... etc.

It's lifestyle that requires a commitment to naps and naps don't make most people ever feel fully rested. You wake up from an afternoon nap feeling disoriented and zapped of energy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
you could probably tivo them and watch them in the morning in the studio. plenty of commercial time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Mac wrote:
It's lifestyle that requires a commitment to naps and naps don't make most people ever feel fully rested. You wake up from an afternoon nap feeling disoriented and zapped of energy.

Your afternoon naps are too long if you're tired afterwards. If you sleep long enough to fall into "Delta" brainwave pattern, you will wake up feeling disoriented and drained if you do not maintain that Delta pattern long enough. You want to ease out of Beta waves and into Alpha/Theta waves, but avoid Delta.
In other words, two to three 15-20 minute naps are more effective than one 60 minute nap.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

Mac, you need to talk to Jurko. He has napped almost daily from 5-6pm for the better part of a decade.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:38 pm 

Mac wrote:

It's a lifestyle that requires a commitment to a home studio my friend (at least a couple days).
It's amazing how theraputic a 30 second commute can be.
Embrace technology Mac.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:44 pm 

The occasional show from home isn't a bad idea.. but I think it has flaws. I've read many criticisms here about Boers broadcasting from home. It's always best to have two hosts in the same room... and the energy of the city rubs off on a show. Best place for a radio show: a radio studio.

I was thinking about Chowderhead's roofer/dad getting up at 3:30. On a roof before dawn? Correct assuming he also was a chowderhead? I can't think of another reason to lay shingles in the dark.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
Mac wrote:
The occasional show from home isn't a bad idea.. but I think it has flaws. I've read many criticisms here about Boers broadcasting from home. It's always best to have two hosts in the same room... and the energy of the city rubs off on a show. Best place for a radio show: a radio studio.

I was thinking about Chowderhead's roofer/dad getting up at 3:30. On a roof before dawn? Correct assuming he also was a chowderhead? I can't think of another reason to lay shingles in the dark.

If I am not mistaken, didn't Johnny B try that during his 2nd or 3rd run in Chicago? I want to say he hosted from a studio in LA.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Mac wrote:

I'm sure homeowners loved nail guns at 5:00 am...

Mac and Hood or Mac and the King. otherwise, not really sold on any other combo. Isn't Spiegel in California?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac wrote:

I think a condo downtown is a better option Mac. A high rent flop house. Who knows, maybe Phil Mogg will crash over one night:

From 'I'm a Loser':
You can come to my place and sleep on the couch
Lots of people do it and we won't leave you out
Hard times out on the Street
Hard times, hard to beat
Jim Pastor, pullin' on his dwarfified meat

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 pm 

Mac wrote:

No so much the shingles (or the other stuff) Mackey, he was a foreman for a mostly commercial outfit. Nothing like getting to the site of a soon to be mall at 4:30am and starting the burners on the asphalt kettle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac wrote:
Why the disappointment, gd? It was an easy project for my first foray into books. What I also learned is to get paid well for a book, it requires a few credits first. If this book does okay -- and in publishing, that means it sells 20,000 copies -- I'll get a bigger pay day for "Dangerous Talk" in a year or two. I think you'll find it a fun, easy read and a good barroom conversation starter. I also am mulling two other book ideas.

As for the clean break, I hear what you're saying. There are many things that will be different about the next radio show... likely that will include partner(s). I've toyed with the idea of a Mac, Jurko and Terry show, but it's unlikely for a handful of reasons, the biggest is it would be far too expensive during this Depression.

I will go to the library :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:30 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Mac wrote:
I've kept up with Jurko. He finally completed his list for my lists book with the Shermanator. He wrote it in crayon, but it was solid. Book is a wrap. Released in either September or October. Full disclosure as always.... Ed did at least 60 % of the work. He got lists from more contributors than I did (though I was charged by what I got from Hawk Harrelson and Bill Petersen). He also did more lists than I did. I tend to write longer, about 1000 words on some of them, but did fewer lists.

Please tell me you are not creating a book of lists.

...or a list of books.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:32 pm 

Mac wrote:
Mornings. I go back and forth on it, Frank. Second week after being shown the door... I actually tried getting up at 4:00 a few times to see how it felt at 3:00 in the afternoon. It didn't take me long to abort the experiment. If it looks like mornings is where it will be, I will go back to "training" for it for a month before it actually begins. You have to respect guys like Brandmeier for doing it all those years. Nobody ever feels caught up on sleep via naps. It definifely is a lifestyle changer. Never would have been possible for me six, seven years ago.

Aaaahhhh......yul'be fiiine!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

scorehead # 84 wrote:
Mac wrote:
Mornings. I go back and forth on it, Frank. Second week after being shown the door... I actually tried getting up at 4:00 a few times to see how it felt at 3:00 in the afternoon. It didn't take me long to abort the experiment. If it looks like mornings is where it will be, I will go back to "training" for it for a month before it actually begins. You have to respect guys like Brandmeier for doing it all those years. Nobody ever feels caught up on sleep via naps. It definifely is a lifestyle changer. Never would have been possible for me six, seven years ago.

SO Jb, I think it's safe to say 3 to 4 guys in our FFL will be working in Chicago radio come our draft? :P :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Mac, you're not doing morning drive. If current SCORE management has any grapefruits in them, they'll soon pull the plug on "Hampton & Holmes", designate Mike Murphy for assignment, and move "Boers & Bernstein" back to middays so that you can do afternoon drive once again. If it means hiring "B & B's" producers "Drinky" & Jason Goff, and having Brian "The Whipping Boy" Paruch doing updates every afternoon, that's your time, Mac. You should be building bridges to the White Sox...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:35 am 

Slap Shot ED wrote:
scorehead # 84 wrote:
Mac wrote:

SO Jb, I think it's safe to say 3 to 4 guys in our FFL will be working in Chicago radio come our draft? :P :lol:

And that's not including me as I pursue my quest to be become Al Salvi's sidekick on 'KRS 1220.
Or Vando, who's shovel-ready for Wisconsin Sports Weekend on WTMJ 620.

:roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:53 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
scorehead # 84 wrote:
Or Vando, who's shovel-ready for Wisconsin Sports Weekend on WTMJ 620.

:roll: :wink:

i'd listen to that..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Mac wrote:
Honesty first: it's a damn fine month to be on the bench. Until the Bulls actually made trades and Paxson emerged from the bunker, it had become horribly redundant and BORING. That aside, I haven't missed it much. Miss being around the team (players, dugout, clubhouse)... but I haven't missed sports talk in February. As well as the Hawks have played, it's a niche audience and not a "meat and potatoes"-type show driver.

Enjoying the "recruiting process." It has the potential to unnerve... and it briefly did last week... but I'm confident I can be of a use once I'm cleared to fire up a mike. In addition to radio, I've had cursory conversations with a newspaper and a website about amping up my weekly writing duties. I requested more space in the S-T next week as I'm in spring training and will hit both team's camps... waiting on their reply. Neither paper presently has a stud sports columnist. They have some decent writers, but both lack strong personalities who can swing the hammer when it's necessary. In the Trib today, Rick Morrissey unearthed that Tiger Woods is a popular athlete. Did you know that? This was a better newspaper city when Bernie Lincicome was at the Trib and Mariotti was at the S-T. So... while I consider myself a radio dork first... I'm wanting to write more.

The Afternoon Saloon (I'm taking that handle back if I wind up back in afternoons) was discussing the Oscars today. Mr. Teinowitz began a sentence with "Because I was an actor for many years....." No response from his partners. That qualifier deserved a beatdown.

I've kept up with Jurko. He finally completed his list for my lists book with the Shermanator. He wrote it in crayon, but it was solid. Book is a wrap. Released in either September or October. Full disclosure as always.... Ed did at least 60 % of the work. He got lists from more contributors than I did (though I was charged by what I got from Hawk Harrelson and Bill Petersen). He also did more lists than I did. I tend to write longer, about 1000 words on some of them, but did fewer lists.

Don't like Joe Crede in a Twins uniform. Happy for him that he got with the team that appealed to him.... but I'm not happy he's in the division. Then again, he and I can swap notes about the joys of spinal fusion surgery a few times a year when they're in town. If I'm not busy with Gardy, of course. He IS my guy.

Pitt will win the NCAA tourney. Love their team. Inside presence and good guards. Should have put a C-note down on 'em when I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago. I think they were 10/1 at the time.

Maybe I am jonesing to get back on the air. Oh well.... it's almost March. Two months to go.

AS PART OF MY ECONOMIC STIMULUS PROGRAM, I WOULD LOVE TO BOOK YOUR BETS, DANNY!!!!!!!

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:48 am 
100000 CLUB

Am I the first one to catch "Sports Mouth"?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Am I the first one to catch "Sports Mouth"?

If catching "sports mouth" is like catching swine flu, I wouldn't brag about it or kiss anyone...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Benny's on 26th in Berwyn
SHARK wrote:
Mac, you're not doing morning drive.

Damn, SHARK!! You told him! :eye:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
hackwilson's ribbies wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Mac, you're not doing morning drive.

Damn, SHARK!! You told him! :eye:
Hack, I'm just trying to be a realistic...I want Mac back on the air sooner rather than later, but I don't see him doing morning drive when the rest of 670 The SCORE's lineup really needs to be fixed.