It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Once again, the ulgy issue of Hockey people thinking that the sport they love is a major sport equivlant with the NFL, MLB and the NBA (They have their own issues). It's just not. Once again if it was, your National games would not be on the Versus Network, upgrading from the Outdoor Living Network.

The number of times Bettman mentioned "I think we can all agree that... LIVE Hockey is the most exciting sport to attend"

NOPE! We Do Not Agree! I don't even think it is close to a Safety, Kick return, Bomb, long run, etc . A huge 4th and Goal!
A walkoff homerun, game saving catch for the final out with bases loaded. The is common thought is always used to defend hockey and I don't think it needs defending. If you like it GREAT! Don't keep telling me how I feel about it.

Bettman said that growth will come from people watching HD because now they can see the puck and not just the flow of the game! Sure it is much better, but you went 50 years without it, now it's all OK because of HD.

I understand we are not trying to emulate Mike North and make controversial statements just to get noticed, but when a guy comes on the air tells me what I think, I would respond otherwise.

All that said, I will be watching the Hawk tonight and this is the first time I can say I planned on watching a game in about 20 years. (Unless of course I bet on them)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Bettman = Asshole, We can all agree on that. I do agree with him that HD will help the Game a lot, On of the biggest complaints that I have heard from people is that they can't see what's going on, HD makes it a lot easier to follow the puck if your not used to watching the games, so perhaps the casual viewers might stick with the programming if they can see the puck. That being said, HD won't save hockey, that job is for the person who replaces Bettman.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:51 pm 

Cross! Smartest Hockey guy ever!

When I used to watch Wolves games they had some great Cameras angles, really close to the ice, you cold really see the action, the puck, the players, etc.

when I broached this subject with a hockey heavy group, it was dismissed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
bigfan wrote:
...but when a guy comes on the air tells me what I think, I would respond otherwise.

If it is any consolation, he can't be a man cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Doesn't NHL Commissioner Bettman bear a strong resemblence to Rowan Atkinson, the British actor who plays "Mr. Bean"? :? Just wondering...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
Hockey is far more exciting that baseball. Notice I didn't say more popular, but more exciting. I enjoy a good baseball game from time to time, but there's more standing around than actual action.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I think he might be right. I've been to a lot of boring baseball games, a few boring football games, but never a boring hockey game. I've only attend one pro game but used to go watch my cousins and friends play. It was always fun.

I'm making a huge assumption here but hockey fans are the best fans and made the evening for me. They are the most knowledgeable and into the game. Nobody was on cell phones, stupid drunk, or milling about.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:19 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I think he might be right. I've been to a lot of boring baseball games, a few boring football games, but never a boring hockey game. I've only attend one pro game but used to go watch my cousins and friends play. It was always fun.

Watch a Minnesota wild game...there is where you'll find your boring hockey game :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:17 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Doesn't NHL Commissioner Bettman bear a strong resemblence to Rowan Atkinson, the British actor who plays "Mr. Bean"? :? Just wondering...

I think he looks like kevin spacey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
OOgie wrote:
This mantra is repeated over and over by Hockey fans everywhere. So, if it is so great. why isn't it more popular?

People aren't as exposed to hockey - they can't or don't play it growing up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:43 pm 

bigfan wrote:
The number of times Bettman mentioned "I think we can all agree that... LIVE Hockey is the most exciting sport to attend"

NOPE! We Do Not Agree! I don't even think it is close to a Safety, Kick return, Bomb, long run, etc . A huge 4th and Goal!
A walkoff homerun, game saving catch for the final out with bases loaded. The is common thought is always used to defend hockey and I don't think it needs defending. If you like it GREAT! Don't keep telling me how I feel about it.

Yeah, this has always been kind of a bullshit statement. There are very few times that there are end to end goal scoring opportunities like in a basketball game. Honestly, I love watching a football game live simply because there are 60,000 screaming lunatics that are enhancing the experience.

bigfan wrote:
Bettman said that growth will come from people watching HD because now they can see the puck and not just the flow of the game! Sure it is much better, but you went 50 years without it, now it's all OK because of HD.

I understand we are not trying to emulate Mike North and make controversial statements just to get noticed, but when a guy comes on the air tells me what I think, I would respond otherwise.

The reason he said that is because even he does not have the answer to making his sport more popular than the others, including baseball, basketball, football, soccer, tennis, nascar and cricket.