It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why Matt Spiegel?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:17 am 

Because he's good. Spiegel is knowledgable, articulate, funny, creative, possesses a commanding presence, is strong in areas I'm not, has a warm soul, can "drive" a show, is not afraid to challenge me (and do so intelligently) and has an enormously awesome singing voice for when the occasion calls for song parodies. For those of you who don't recall his days at the Score (he began as a McNeil-Boers intern, then producer, then weekend/fill-in guy) or at Sporting News, lend your ear to the artist formerly known as Meatpants and you'll know why he was my first choice to fly in the plane. Our discussions on partnering didn't begin this spring; we've stayed close for several years in anticipation of a day called June 15.

Post subject: Re: Why Matt Spiegel?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Armand's, 7400 w Grand in Elmwood Park.
Thanks Mac, for the unsolicited love. I'll blow you later, or maybe I'll have Bernsy do it.

I'll be right here for you, boardies, to get to know and interact with.

I'm a baseball guy, hardcore, a lifer. More on that later, and you'll hear it front and center week 1...but there's a question in another thread about how our show will cover the NBA, something we all know Mac can live without, and often does.

I love the NBA. I know the NBA. I was at the Score for the entire 2nd 3-peat, and saw Jordan playoff games from the press level, put microphones in Scottie's face. I co-wrote and sang half of "The Boy from Hertzgovinia," (with Shakey) about Kukoc and his relationship with Phil.

I could have told you, and did tell some, that the advantages Orlando had against Cleveland would not be there against the Lakers. Rashard Lewis and Turkoglu will be defended by long, tall wings like Ariza, Odom, and Kobe...something Mike Brown had no match for. Mike Brown is over-matched by everybody, but we'll talk about that as LeBron gets ready to bail on him next year.

Speaking of over-matched, I'll have piles of Del Negro thoughts when we get there.

I love college buckets, and endlessly enjoy following guys I knew in college along their NBA career; like seeing Eric Piatkowski as a Bull, remembering his days at Nebraska. I've played NBA fantasy hoops for 2 seasons, and love it...maybe we'll do a league for the show. We'll try, perhaps unsuccessfully, to get Mac in it.

I can go 7 deep on Phi Slamma Jamma. Akeem, Drexler, Michael Young, Larry Michaux (Mr. Mean), Andra Franklin, Reid Gettys, and Benny Anders, instant offense off the bench. That was my squad.

My first college radio show, at Emerson in Boston, included a segment on how good Illinois hoops was going to be, with incoming freshman sensation Marcus Liberty.

Me and Mac are paired for a reason, peeps. I love a lot of what he doesn't.

I am Baseball boy, first and foremost, and hoops maven 2nd. The rest of me will unfold, like Bill Wennington's 5-foot legs when he hopped off the bench to relieve Joe Klein.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Sounds good, though hopefully I'll hear as little college basketball talk as possible unless DePaul revives the dynasty.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Looking forward to the show... hopefully this stops Mac from degrading other talent because they are well versed in some sport deemed to be uninteresting to the masses.

I, and about 97% of other listeners, think this is a HUGE upgrade for the Score.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
KDdidit wrote:
Sounds good, though hopefully I'll hear as little college basketball talk as possible unless DePaul revives the dynasty.

I don't think you'll have to worry about a DePaul dynasty ever again KD :wink:

I think that college basketball talk should be saved for late February and throughout March, and that's about it...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Hi,
It looks like a good team...BEST OF LUCK!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Which guy on the show is going to make really bad jokes all the time? Does Matt know anything about horse racing? Does he know how to stay on a horse? These are all questions I need to know? Do you have an MMA expert finally on on the show to "show some love" to us freaks out here?

Looking forward to hearing the new show.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:29 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Which guy on the show is going to make really bad jokes all the time?

I'm free,if needed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:44 pm 

meatpants wrote:
Thanks Mac, for the unsolicited love. I'll blow you later, or maybe I'll have Bernsy do it.

I'll be right here for you, boardies, to get to know and interact with.

I'm a baseball guy, hardcore, a lifer. More on that later, and you'll hear it front and center week 1...but there's a question in another thread about how our show will cover the NBA, something we all know Mac can live without, and often does.

I love the NBA. I know the NBA. I was at the Score for the entire 2nd 3-peat, and saw Jordan playoff games from the press level, put microphones in Scottie's face. I co-wrote and sang half of "The Boy from Hertzgovinia," (with Shakey) about Kukoc and his relationship with Phil.

I could have told you, and did tell some, that the advantages Orlando had against Cleveland would not be there against the Lakers. Rashard Lewis and Turkoglu will be defended by long, tall wings like Ariza, Odom, and Kobe...something Mike Brown had no match for. Mike Brown is over-matched by everybody, but we'll talk about that as LeBron gets ready to bail on him next year.

Speaking of over-matched, I'll have piles of Del Negro thoughts when we get there.

I love college buckets, and endlessly enjoy following guys I knew in college along their NBA career; like seeing Eric Piatkowski as a Bull, remembering his days at Nebraska. I've played NBA fantasy hoops for 2 seasons, and love it...maybe we'll do a league for the show. We'll try, perhaps unsuccessfully, to get Mac in it.

I can go 7 deep on Phi Slamma Jamma. Akeem, Drexler, Michael Young, Larry Michaux (Mr. Mean), Andra Franklin, Reid Gettys, and Benny Anders, instant offense off the bench. That was my squad.

My first college radio show, at Emerson in Boston, included a segment on how good Illinois hoops was going to be, with incoming freshman sensation Marcus Liberty.

Me and Mac are paired for a reason, peeps. I love a lot of what he doesn't.

I am Baseball boy, first and foremost, and hoops maven 2nd. The rest of me will unfold, like Bill Wennington's 5-foot legs when he hopped off the bench to relieve Joe Klein.

please tell me that this post is a joke from your new side kick stating his qualifications :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Mac or Meat: I know you joked around about it on Friday, but will there be a name change to facilitate the addition of Meatpants?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:04 pm 

Let me revisit Spiegel's Hard Core Baseball comment. He is.
If you never heard him on Sporting News Network, he was all about the baseball and he knows his shit. Historically speaking and current players. To the point where when it goes baseball heavy Mac can take a back seat for a few commercail breaks. I just hope they find a forum for that type of indepth talk which might be more suited for overnights because it isnt a 2 second deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I agree that Spiegel knows baseball. He was always impressive when he did the "Baseball City" segment on North's show and in his stint at Sporting News. One of the problems that I have with him as Mac's co-host, though, is that he doesn't strike me as having the presence, charisma, or personality necessary to stand up to Mac. This is another way of saying that for all the time I've heard Meatpants on the radio--and that's quite a bit, actually--I really can't remember anything he's ever said (even though I recall having a high opinion of his baseball acumen). His work simply hasn't been memorable to me in the way that Bernstein, Mac, Goff, Peter Brown, or even North (in his heyday) can be.

I've already heard Mac, Bernstein and others point out that Spiegel is a good pick because he possesses positive qualities--actual specific knowledge of sports, national perspective, etc--that Mac lacks. To me, though, such traits hardly justify Meatpants's selection because they don't indicate he's actually an entertaining host, just that he is capable of compensating for Mac's deficiencies. In my view, Mac should've chosen the best co-host available, not just someone who complements him. From what I've heard in the past, Spiegel doesn't have the game that a number of others in this town do, but maybe I'll be proven wrong. I hope so--because Chicago sports talk radio seems to be at one of its cyclical low points right now. Maybe Meatpants and the Meatball will be able to reinvigorate what right now appears to be a declining format.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:00 pm 

Tall Midget-Excellent review!
For all the Baseball acumen Matt brings to the table,a good producer can pop up the stats needed on a screen to make any host seem knowledgeable. What can't be popped up on a screen is a personality,a sense of humor,etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Midge, You sound like you want a show where the hosts disagree or go head to head in debates. It's totally your style but do you like Waddle and Silvy? They don't disagree often but I still think they put on a good show.

However, this love is a bit over the top. Some of you have quite a boner for McNeil, so much so, I'm waiting for his picture to show up in the Sports Babe section.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Spaulding wrote:
Midge, You sound like you want a show where the hosts disagree or go head to head in debates. It's totally your style but do you like Waddle and Silvy? They don't disagree often but I still think they put on a good show.

However, this love is a bit over the top. Some of you have quite a boner for McNeil, so much so, I'm waiting for his picture to show up in the Sports Babe section.

Silvy and Waddle disagree more than you think, usually Silvy says something stupid or over-the-top, and Waddle brings him back to earth.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:19 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

As you wish!!! Check out the BABES section for a provacitive Danny Mac Photo!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

Chris in St. Charles wrote:
Mac or Meat: I know you joked around about it on Friday, but will there be a name change to facilitate the addition of Meatpants?

Yep, the new show will be called -"The Two Meatballs"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
As I've stated before, I just hope you guys give Jason Goff the opportunity to pull up a mic and do "fly bys"...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchinos
Ciminos
Welcome back Mac.
While I know nothing of/about Matt I will be listening and thank you for not going 3 man booth.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:28 pm 

Mac wrote:
Because he's good. Spiegel is knowledgable, articulate, funny, creative, possesses a commanding presence, is strong in areas I'm not, has a warm soul, can "drive" a show, is not afraid to challenge me (and do so intelligently) and has an enormously awesome singing voice for when the occasion calls for song parodies. For those of you who don't recall his days at the Score (he began as a McNeil-Boers intern, then producer, then weekend/fill-in guy) or at Sporting News, lend your ear to the artist formerly known as Meatpants and you'll know why he was my first choice to fly in the plane. Our discussions on partnering didn't begin this spring; we've stayed close for several years in anticipation of a day called June 15.

I'd love if you guys brought back the 'around the nfl' segment but turned it into an 'around mlb' segment. You can do it on fridays and interview the beat writers from the teams the Sox/cubs are playing that weekend. There are some pretty good ones out there and they can give us some helpful insights into that weekends opponent. I doubt you can come up with an intro as good as 'around the nfl' but I'm sure Jason can come up with something decent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Mac wrote:
and has an enormously awesome singing voice for when the occasion calls for song parodies.

Yep

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:55 pm 

I'll give the show a chance, but I'm not a Spiegel fan. Hopefully transition will only be Mac with B&B.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

When I read the first two posts, I say crank up the speakers, and listen to the wisdom from:

The Wolf!

I eagerly look forward to June 15th.

Mac is Ying to Spieg's Yang.

Let's get it on!

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:50 pm 

I love Keyser's idea about around the MLB. I hope we see something like this.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:08 pm 

Tall Midget wrote: Maybe Meatpants and the Meatball will be able to reinvigorate what right now appears to be a declining format.

Or maybe you can go f___ yourself. It'd be the first time you've gotten any in weeks. Feeling reinivigorated yet?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac wrote:
Tall Midget wrote: Maybe Meatpants and the Meatball will be able to reinvigorate what right now appears to be a declining format.

Or maybe you can go f___ yourself. It'd be the first time you've gotten any in weeks. Feeling reinivigorated yet?

Let me fill in the blank there Mac..F.U.C.K. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
That made me laugh. Awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Mac wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Glad to see you embrace your inner meatball, Mac. I think Bernstein will be, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Meathead and Meatpants. What a team.

Can hardly wait for the song parodies.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I'm hoping that Jurko joins Mac & Meat. And please dont let Meat talk about the NBA every day. Who gives a shit about the NBA anyway?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan