It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meatpants
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:17 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
I like him. Glad Mac picked him. That's all I got.

Post subject: Re: Meatpants
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:20 am 

I have enjoyed him so far. I am glad that it sounds to me like he has stopped yelling into the mic so much.

Keep up the good work.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I'm not familiar with any of his work up until this new show. He seems pretty solid and I enjoy his thoughts.

I may be in the minority but I enjoy the parody songs as well. Much easier to listen to when the person doing them has a decent singing voice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:52 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Deep Dish: Giordano's
Krazy Ivan wrote:
I'm not familiar with any of his work up until this new show. He seems pretty solid and I enjoy his thoughts.

I may be in the minority but I enjoy the parody songs as well. Much easier to listen to when the person doing them has a decent singing voice.

You mean to tell me that Russ Mitera singing the Gerry Dinardo theme isn't getting it done for you?

http://www.TheCommittedIndian.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I haven't had much of an opportunity to hear Matt Spiegel's work over the years, but so far, so good. Thumbs up from SHARK... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Caligula's Stuffed Sausage
matt schpiegel is a woman trapped in a woman's body. there is no way dan tolerates his ear piercing squeals and the quasi-gay utterances over dan's sentences. still giving it a few days before the mallet to the temple happens, the crying girl on the floor bleeding and the paramedics serving matt a clean tampon. abysmal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

I also can't remember listening to Meatpants in the past but am pleasantly surprised at how well the show flows and overall quality after only 2 days. If it improves even close to how much MJH improved after their rough start then it's going to be a hell of a show. It just sounds like a show that's been on for awhile now and they have a good balance of sports talk with industry & entertainment references. Not way overblown like the later days of MJH. Better than expected so far though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
liam malone wrote:
schpiegel

the charachter from Lord of the Rings?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

Spiegs used to do a weekend morning show, talking baseball primarily on the SCORE, and then he talked some fantasy football in the late summer/early fall.

Then he jumped ship to Sporting News Radio where he did weekend overnights for quite awhile - and then mornings....

He's been taking pictures of Colonel Sanders and roaming around in deserts the past several months...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:03 pm 

I used to listen to meatpants on SNR and it was a good listen. Has a good national focus, be interesting to see him get back to a one town focus. So far so good. Liked some of the challenging he's done so far. Now he might be too preppy for a blue collar town like Chicago, wearing a turtleneck for picture day at the office.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
I used to listen to meatpants on SNR and it was a good listen. Has a good national focus, be interesting to see him get back to a one town focus. So far so good. Liked some of the challenging he's done so far. Now he might be too preppy for a blue collar town like Chicago, wearing a turtleneck for picture day at the office.

I thought he was good on SNR, too, and I'm looking forward to him challenging Bernsie during transitions. Bernsie won't be able to pull the same stuff on Matt that he does on the callers -- should make for some spirited radio.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:07 pm 

Meatpants is fine so far. I will say this:

1. Some of his jokes are borderline Tiny-bad.

2. When he starts to get excited about what he's talking about, he sounds a little like Dana Carvey doing Johnny Carson.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

Sounds more like the Meat Pants show to me. Matt tends to talk over Mac or ramble and needs to let things flow instead of force them . I would agree with another poster that Mac worked better in a 3 man booth but Matt seems to be taking the show over and I've yet to get the felling that Mac feels comfortable with him. Time will tell but Im' not sold on Macpants just yet .

I liked the format of Mac's old show better as it seemed less forced and over the toppy but like I said I have patience and will see where it goes. I would like Jurko back with Dan and sprikle a little Meatpants in and that would work for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
spanky wrote:
2. When he starts to get excited about what he's talking about, he sounds a little like Dana Carvey doing Johnny Carson.

Thank you. I was trying to place it. Wild, wacky stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Caligula's Stuffed Sausage
keep the beatdown watch ticking along. one day, in the very near future, when dan has lost his ass on a game he thought was a lock, he will kick the piss out of schpiegel. schpiegel's voice is reminescent of the tranvestite from summer of sam. half boy, half girl and when dan is snorting some scotch for breakfast, he will tear the mike off and bludgeon matt.

tremendous 3-hour explanation for baseball's darkest day. one day, we'll all look back on march 17, 2005. but dont do it now, wait a few years. then you'll realize what matt knew before us. scintillating radio.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:16 pm 

In the relatively little amount of The Danny Mac Show I've listened to, I think Meatpants is fine ... but would you stop making little comments about not being in the title of the show? And I could also do without you repeatedly telling the audience that you "did national" for so long that it's great to do local stuff.

While I am not a huge fan of McNeil (only really love to look back at the HFC days), he is the reason people are tuning in. I don't think anyone in the general audience cares about your time on SNR or find it a big deal that your sidecar doesn't have a vanity license plate on it. I'd be thankful for the gig, and use it to create your own following as several guys have before you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

Harry Seaward wrote:
In the relatively little amount of The Danny Mac Show I've listened to, I think Meatpants is fine ... but would you stop making little comments about not being in the title of the show? And I could also do without you repeatedly telling the audience that you "did national" for so long that it's great to do local stuff.

+1. The "I'm the 'the' in the show" comment was funny at first but the 258th time in the first week becomes a bit much. He's mentioning the national aspect to make sure people know he's a real sports player in the industry and get respect from listeners but it's also very overplayed at this point. Aside from that I think the pairing is working very well so far. And yes meatpants does need to step back a bit more and let Mac drive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:21 pm 

As a guy who is 10,000% more interested in sports talk than 99% of the country (and probably not half as much as most here), I have to say that him "doing national" on SNR doesn't impress me at all. Honestly, it doesn't. So to continually refer to his prior work is indeed like bragging about being the tallest midget. Who cares?

He seems like a nice enough dude, but if not being in the title of the show and constantly referencing his last job is SO important - why did he take this job? Because it's a solid gig, and is probably an upgrade over a "national" sports station that is played mostly in smaller markets and on other stations' web streams when they're broadcasting a game? Ok, great, then stop with the comments.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Dare I say, I may join the Meatpants Ass Licking Society.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:47 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I haven't had any beef with the balance between Mac and Matt. I rather like the pairing. What I don't get, having never been a MJH listener, is how a three-man booth was okay, but now there's too much Spiegel. Did Jurko and Harry never talk?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:08 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I am a big Danny Mac fan & I have listened all week...but the show hasn't worked for me yet. Mac was better with Boers or Jurko. Spiegel just isn't entetaining...and he seems to just go along with Mac on everything. If crack slippers is a prelude of the bits that we can expect for Mac & Matt, wow...bad...very bad...

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:10 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
JohnKirk wrote:
I am a big Danny Mac fan & I have listened all week...but the show hasn't worked for me yet. Mac was better with Boers or Jurko. Spiegel just isn't entetaining...and he seems to just go along with Mac on everything. If crack slippers is a prelude of the bits that we can expect for Mac & Matt, wow...bad...very bad...

What did you expect from a guy in a short sleeve green turtleneck??
I think Matt is funny & is doing fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:41 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
JohnKirk wrote:

Of course you have a problem with Matt, Kirk....you and Meatpants are polar opposites....Matt knows what he is talking about.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:55 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Meatpants is doing just fine. The show hasn't even been on a week, these
guys will find their footing and this show will take off. I agree that Mac
needs to take the wheel a bit more but I think that will happen in time.
I like that Meaty won't back down from a stance even if Mac laughs it
off. What has surprised me most is that these guys have talked sports
for 95% of the show and it hasn't veered off the road as much as it
used to on MJH. It hasn't bothered me much but going off the road
sometimes isn't a bad thing. I am officially a member of the Mac & Meat
ALS.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:01 am 

Puckhead wrote:
Dare I say, I may join the Meatpants Ass Licking Society.

It's an army of one, and I'm not taking recruits.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
I think we are all being a bit hypercritical here. This is the first time that they have worked together live in this format. There is going to be a bit of a transition and a few bumps in the road until they learn each other's personalities, quirks, etc.

It's like when you are dating someone and make the decision to live together. Sure things are great until you make that decision and suddenly find out that the chick is a slob and squeezes the toothpaste from the middle. It's an adjustment and either it will work or it won't.

So far, I have been entertained and I think the pairing works much better than it did with Sleepy Jurko and Harry the horse. There is no forced or contrived humor, no bathroom etiquette issues, no fights - I like the chemistry and think it's going to be very very good.

How many of you listened to Waddle and Silvy from the beginning? I thought that they were a god awful pairing for about the first two weeks, but then they meshed. Give Macpants that same chance and you will be moving this show to your P1.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:09 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Good point Dave on the contrived/bathroom humor. While I will always be 12 years old when it comes to fart jokes, I really don't need it on my sportsradio show. The last year or so of MJH sounded like three guys going through the motions, and waiting for the first and fifteenth.

As far as the man with pants of meat, I was a huge fan of his "Baseball City" segments on the North show. Didn't catch him on SNR.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
A7X wrote:
Good point Dave on the contrived/bathroom humor. While I will always be 12 years old when it comes to fart jokes, I really don't need it on my sportsradio show. The last year or so of MJH sounded like three guys going through the motions, and waiting for the first and fifteenth.

As far as the man with pants of meat, I was a huge fan of his "Baseball City" segments on the North show. Didn't catch him on SNR.

It sounds to me like Meat's voice has a little drinky in it.

I really like the ebb and flow of the show. Mac seems much more interested and less confrontational and edgy. I think working in the same 20 by 20 booth with Harry and Jurko all that time would make anyone edgy and confrontational.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:33 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
DegenerateDave wrote:
I think working in the same 20 by 20 booth with Harry and Jurko all that time would make anyone edgy and confrontational.

It would make me downright homicidal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:39 am 

I was able to listen to that 5-6 hour yesterday.
I was not blown away.
Dan You need to do your job a lot better.

Ill have a more informed rewiew after my vacation.

Edit: The one thing that did make me laugh was the line about some guy making his debut on the 670 frequency "theyre all comin down the dial...about 330 clicks away haha "

that was good.

Ill probably be making my debut on that frequency on June 28th...appointment radio Chicago!