It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Whenever I post something in this thread, there's a Web site called awfulannouncing.com where I get my research for National Media stories like this one. Whether you like the guy or hate his guts, you won't believe this. ESPN mainstay Chris Berman is getting a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame. You read it right. The man who has been a fixture on "The Worldwide Leader in Sports" since Day 1 in 1979 will soon be honored with a star on the Walk of Fame, and will join quite an impressive list of actors, actresses & musicians who will also be honored come 2010. "Boomer", Adam Sandler, Russell Crowe, Jon Cryer, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Mark Wahlberg & Jimmy Kimmel are among the notable names that will receive such a star. The rest of the 2010 honorees for the Walk of Fame can be found here:

http://awfulannouncing.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
I remember reading something about having to pay for your own star on the walk of fame, anybody else hear the same?
I doubted it at the time, because North had not bought one, yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
You're with me, Leather.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
SHARK wrote:
Whenever I post something in this thread, there's a Web site called awfulannouncing.com where I get my research for National Media stories like this one. Whether you like the guy or hate his guts, you won't believe this. ESPN mainstay Chris Berman is getting a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame. You read it right. The man who has been a fixture on "The Worldwide Leader in Sports" since Day 1 in 1979 will soon be honored with a star on the Walk of Fame, and will join quite an impressive list of actors, actresses & musicians who will also be honored come 2010. "Boomer", Adam Sandler, Russell Crowe, Jon Cryer, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Mark Wahlberg & Jimmy Kimmel are among the notable names that will receive such a star. The rest of the 2010 honorees for the Walk of Fame can be found here:

http://awfulannouncing.com/

That's not an award. They are for sale at the price of $10,000 payable to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce.

Hell SHARK, we can get one for you!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Thank you, Don, that is what I thought. Bebe must have missed the memo. Otherwise, Pappy would have a star.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Mr. Reason wrote:
Thank you, Don, that is what I thought. Bebe must have missed the memo. Otherwise, Pappy would have a star.

That brain trust never made it past Vegas.

It's $25,000 for the star, BTW.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
Mr. Reason wrote:

Funny, sad and probably true at the same time.

It has long seemed to me that they hand those thing out to just anybody these days. Mark Walberg? I enjoy his movies, but he's no Cary Grant, or whoever else you might want to bring up as one of the past greats of Hollywood.

As for Berman, I can't stand his style, and I don't understand how he has remained relevant and popular for so long. The word "blowhard" comes to mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:57 pm 

When I read the story before posting it last night, I had to do a double take...I know Chris Berman, like him or hate his guts, has made plenty of contributions in 30 years at ESPN. However, I didn't think the human Macy's Thanksgiving Day Float was worthy of a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
I think that not only do you need to make a financial "donation", but you also must be nominated by someone else, and be okayed by a committee, so North wouldn't make the cut.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:18 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:
I think that not only do you need to make a financial "donation", but you also must be nominated by someone else, and be okayed by a committee, so North wouldn't make the cut.

Colonel, I think that's how it works as far as getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame...