It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Meatpants
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Can someone punch Meatpants in the throat? His MJ love is hackneyed and tedious.

"Rock with You" is a great song.

That's all I have to say about that...

Good song, but I don't need to hear Meatpants sing along to it or dissect its virtues.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
Meatpants needs to stop singing along with Jacko's music.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
Probably alone here, but I think "Billie Jean" was the best song of the 1980s.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Jalapenos and More wrote:
Probably alone here, but I think "Billie Jean" was the best song of the 1980s.

Good song. Best of the 80's? Not IMO. I'll have to think about it though...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
The way I've heard it, "Billie Jean" was originally supposed to be a ballad; my understanding is that (essentially) Quincy said 'fuck that shit' and came up with the bass-line hook and things rolled from there.

[For the record, "Billie Jean" does work as a ballad ... what's-their-faces did a pseudo mash-up of No Diggity as a base with Billie Jean lyrics ... not as good as what QJ turned out, but pretty good all the same.]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
I guess I'm in the minority. I recognize Thriller for its accomplishment. I don't deny its popularity or influence, but I don't like it. If any of those songs came on my radio it would be instant button-pushing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:22 pm 

Everytime I hear Billie Jean it takes me back to a Roller Rink in Portage. My family went there all the time when I was a kid and I swear they played that song about 20 times a day.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
Two weeks in and I'm disappointed that Meatpants hasn't been better. Looks like TM's reservations have been realized, and Meat defers to his more experienced co-host, and challenges him only a contrived manner. Using Arcade Fire as the 2nd hour rejoin plays ike a minor concession that only goes to reaffirm Mac's status as the alpha male here. Sometimes it seems like Mac has cordoned off Meat into a little corner where he expresses his (often half-baked) theories about the Cubs and the NBA, which Mac handles with bemusement before moving on to the Sox and Bears.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Mac can't have anyone in the room that would actually challenge him.

I knew he'd go lightweight for a partner because in his peanut head he thinks that makes him look better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Tall Midget wrote:
Brian's Mojito wrote:
Also, could you please give us at least one utterance by Spiegs that you would characterize as "stupid".

His argument that only people who have extreme emotional relationships with the HOF should debate and develop the criteria for induction was one of the dumber statements I've ever heard on talk radio. Aren't emotions generally considered a barrier to clear thinking rather than a catalyst for it?

I agree. Good point.
Up to now, I like the Mac show. I believe that Mac's blood has boiled at times with his "partner". I do notice that Spiegs hasn't challenged Mac as much lately. That's a shame, because I have enjoyed their "discussions". I especially remember how Mac and Matt were at odds after the Shaer interview. I also remember a recent morning where Matt continually jumped on Mac for not knowing the throwing arm for a pitcher.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:14 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

I knew he'd go lightweight for a partner because in his peanut head he thinks that makes him look better.

Gotta little Jim Memolo in ya. "I said back in '86 the Celtics would turn to crap....
".

I thought you said he would be unemployed.
Hindsight - best enjoyed at the 20/20 perspective.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:52 pm 

scorehead # 84 wrote:
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

Gotta little Jim Memolo in ya. "I said back in '86 the Celtics would turn to crap....
".

I thought you said he would be unemployed.
Hindsight - best enjoyed at the 20/20 perspective.

Doing middays with a nobody is just about being unemployed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
I pretty much agree with everything Harry Seaward has posted.
:shock:

I was never a MJH fan. It always sounded so scripted to me, like a table reading. Zingers. Fake spontaneity.
At least to my ears. I CANNOT STAND Jurko or Harry, period.
I wasn't really into the AM radio during the glory days of McNeil and Boers.
Perhaps my opinion of Mac and his style would be different if I had ever heard HFC.
Bottom line is this -
I guess I don't care for McNeil because I've never heard him on the radio with a co-host that I didn't want to kick in the nuts.
Spiegel's voice and delivery irritate the shit out of me.
The whole "DANNY MAC", "SPIEGS","SCOTTY PODS" nicknamey grabass shit annoys me as well.
I still have it on at 11am as background noise at work, and anything is better than Larry Holmes.
I'm in the minority, but I'd rather listen to Murph than "THE DANNY MAC SHOW".
But what the fuck do I know, my all time favorite sports radio show host was Kornheiser.
"ANDY POLLEY!!!!!"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
Very much agreed with both Harry Seaward and Shirtless Driver. I was looking forward to the shake-up, but two weeks in I can't say that I'm much of a fan of the show, and I think - beyond the general tone of the show, as detailed above by Shirtless Driver - Spiegel has a lot to do with it. Far too exuberant for my taste and I've yet to hear any evidence of his alleged baseball gestalt. Boers was spot on for calling out Spiegel re: his "giant throbbing brain" - wish I could pull an example out of my recall but all I know is I've heard more sane baseball theories from Murph. It wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for all the hype from the board, McNeil, and Spiegel himself*.

* Re: same Boers quote, Spiegel in his first few hours on the air saying something to the effect of (paraphrasing) how he could pose an intellectual threat to Bernstein, which I doubt is true of any sports talker, let alone someone at the same station.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:49 pm 

I love having Mac back, and I am still going to give meatpants a lot of time to win me over, but so far his baseball acumen has been disappointing to me. He lost me when he went on and on calling on Lou to make changes to the lineup and then threw out putting Soriano at 2B or even 3B as part of the solution. That is in no way baseball acumen, but baseball meatballness.

I still really like the show and it is a HUGE improvement from the guys previously in that time slot! Hopefully meatpants will find his niche and settle in to make this a great show.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Doing middays with a nobody is just about being unemployed.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
Just occurred to me that this might have been the way for the Score to handle the hiring / changes at the station. Was it ever proposed here or elsewhere?

If Murph's contract was in fact about to expire, they should have let him keep his slot for the remainder of the term. He's at his best (I realize that this is open to argument, i.e. does Murph in fact have a "best?," etc.) during baseball season and Mitch should have made everyone sack up and deal with the situation like professionals. Put Mac & Spiegel on from 9-12 in the interim and then when Murph's gone (seems like it would have been just prior to Bears season?) go to the 9-1/crosstalk format they've got now. Doing it all at once was a little rough and it sounds to me like Mac and Spiegel have a hard time filling their "four hour bag."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Not alot of love for Meatpants thus far. I wonder if Meat is signed to a long term contract?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:50 pm 

JohnKirk wrote:
Not alot of love for Meatpants thus far. I wonder if Meat is signed to a long term contract?

I would bet that his contract is exactly as long as Mac's.

You need the cheap offset to keep the total down to a reasonable midday rate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
suckers playground wrote:
If Murph's contract was in fact about to expire, they should have let him keep his slot for the remainder of the term. He's at his best (I realize that this is open to argument, i.e. does Murph in fact have a "best?," etc.) during baseball season and Mitch should have made everyone sack up and deal with the situation like professionals. Put Mac & Spiegel on from 9-12 in the interim and then when Murph's gone (seems like it would have been just prior to Bears season?) go to the 9-1/crosstalk format they've got now. Doing it all at once was a little rough and it sounds to me like Mac and Spiegel have a hard time filling their "four hour bag."

I agree with this. Kicking Murph off the schedule seemed suspicious, given his success. They must be really desperate to turn things around there.

As for crosstalk, I'm not sure I love it. Granted, I've missed some days, but it's basically been "remember the good old Belmont days" every time I've heard it. Is that all it was meant to be?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Curious Hair wrote:
it's basically been "remember the good old Belmont days" every time I've heard it. Is that all it was meant to be?

I think they just need time to get the nostalgia out of their system. Mac's return is still relatively new.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

I love the show. Meat boy is really polished in my opinion. Very upbeat radio and I think Mac and Meat (as I like to call them) work very well together. And because I actually like two SCR shows in a row (Morning and Mid day), I actually tune in to B+B from time to time. Bernsie's still a tool (sorry Kid C) but then again he would admit that. To me the Score is making a comeback. I just hope they dont bring back Webio rejects. Fuck those guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:23 pm 

Mr. Belvidere wrote:
I love the show. Meat boy is really polished in my opinion. Very upbeat radio and I think Mac and Meat (as I like to call them) work very well together. And because I actually like two SCR shows in a row (Morning and Mid day), I actually tune in to B+B from time to time. Bernsie's still a tool (sorry Kid C) but then again he would admit that. To me the Score is making a comeback. I just hope they dont bring back Webio rejects. Fuck those guys.

Mitch should hire Hood, Doug & Offman, & dump Rosey, Zaidman, Hampton & Schuster.
I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:58 pm 

JohnKirk only dislikes me because I called him out for being a clown. Then again, everyone else here has done the same, so he probably hates all of you, too.

Spiegel, by the way, is alright by me. Never really heard him until a couple of weeks ago, but I like him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:06 pm 

Ranger wrote:
JohnKirk only dislikes me because I called him out for being a clown. Then again, everyone else here has done the same, so he probably hates all of you, too.

Spiegel, by the way, is alright by me. Never really heard him until a couple of weeks ago, but I like him.

Anyone at the Score you'd care to admit that you DON'T like?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:38 am 

Ranger wrote:

Ranger...I have news for you...I thought you were a douche long before I ever joined this message board.
And it was you who fired the first shot when you jumped in the middle of a thread where a few of us were ripping Terry Boers for being an out of touch, lazy, disconnected sports talk show host who claims he has "peeps". l'll stand by that opinion until Terry proves otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:46 am 

Ranger wrote:

As for Spiegel, you can count on one hand the number of guys on this board who actually like him. The fact that you like him only confirms my dislike for both of you guys.
Now go get Mitch a warm cup of coffee and pick up his laundry.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
JohnKirk wrote:
Ranger wrote:

As for Spiegel, you can count on one hand the number of guys on this board who actually like him. The fact that you like him only confirms my dislike for both of you guys.
Now go get Mitch a warm cup of coffee and pick up his laundry.

Kirk, Meatpants is going to be tremendous.
He knows his stuff and is humourous.

As for Ranger, perhaps you are the only guy that doesn't realize what a tough job pre game and post game is, especially post game fielding calls from irate drunks.
The days of Harry Caray doing Sox games are over...where Harry would rip Sox players a new asshole...

You are dead on correct about Zaidman, who is BRUTAL.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:52 am 
1000 CLUB

Ranger- You ever do postgame from the BULLPEN? I know they did before you signed on. I'm going to the Sox/Yanks on JUly 30h. Hopefully you'll get out and visit the peeps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:46 am 

I find it funny how some of you hard-ass tough guys suddenly melt when a radio guy posts here!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next