It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stacey King
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
So Stacey King wants kids to play college basketball for two years so NBA teams can better evaluate whom to draft. Well, Stacey, I seem to remember that you played 4 years at Oklahoma and there was plenty of tape on you, so how could you have been a bust with the #6 pick? If you were a highly-touted high school basketball player right now, wouldn't you rather get paid immediately rather than playing that one mercenary season in college, much less the two you're proposing?

Post subject: Re: Stacey King
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
Jalapenos and More wrote:
So Stacey King wants kids to play college basketball for two years so NBA teams can better evaluate whom to draft. Well, Stacey, I seem to remember that you played 4 years at Oklahoma and there was plenty of tape on you, so how could you have been a bust with the #6 pick? If you were a highly-touted high school basketball player right now, wouldn't you rather get paid immediately rather than playing that one mercenary season in college, much less the two you're proposing?

Very good call J & M.

I don't think it matters what you did in college or not - the NBA is a different league and you either adjust or don't. The only thing I think that truly matters is maturity level. Some 18 or 19 year old kids can handle it and some clearly can't - just like when we were kids - some of us matured much faster and some of us still haven't - guilty as charged.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
If I was drafting somebody, I would rather have more tape on them, than less tape.

Sure it is slightly funny Stacy was opining for 2 years, considering his career... but it doesn't make his opinion wrong.

The more the better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
what a fucking bum he was as a player.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:20 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Stacey was serviceable, give you 15-20 minutes, 8-10 points and a whole bunch of horrible defense. Also, he got the Bull Luc which was key.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:06 pm 

He was indeed serviceable (eventually), but drafts in 1980s were, of course, a different animal than they are now. A #6 pick was expected to be at least one of your top 3 players within a year. He never got in shape. Weird as it is to say, if he had adopted some of Joakim Noah's tenacity and, this year, Noah's drive to get stronger, King could've been much better than he was. Mookie Blaylock, Tim Hardaway, and Shawn Kemp were selected after him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:08 pm 

Also, I don't think he's really that good of a game analyst or contributor to the Mac show.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:17 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
He was indeed serviceable (eventually), but drafts in 1980s were, of course, a different animal than they are now. A #6 pick was expected to be at least one of your top 3 players within a year. He never got in shape. Weird as it is to say, if he had adopted some of Joakim Noah's tenacity and, this year, Noah's drive to get stronger, King could've been much better than he was. Mookie Blaylock, Tim Hardaway, and Shawn Kemp were selected after him.

Overall, I'd say that draft pretty much sucked though. Out of Service Pervis and Danny Ferry as the top of the draft? A lot of teams missed on Kemp and Hardaway.

NBA drafts are a crapshoot anyway. Subsequent #6s -

1990 - Felton Spencer
1991 - Doug Smith
1992 - Tom Gugliotta
1993 - Calbert Cheaney
1994 - Sharone Wright
1995 - Big Country
1996 - Antoine Walker
1997 - Ron Mercer
1998 - Robert Traylor
1999 - Wally Szerzibiakiakiaa
2000 - DerMarr Johnson
2001 - Shane Battier
2002 - DaJuan Wagner
2003 - Chris Kaman
2004 - Josh Childress
2005 - Martell Webster
2006 - Brandon Roy
2007 - Yi Jianlian
2008 - Danilo Gallinari

I was just going to do a year or two but the level of crap in there was so staggering I had to continue. I'd say any team looking for one of their top 3 from the 6 spot has had a lot of EPIC FAIL.

Those guys make King look like an all-star with a few exceptions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:20 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
1990 - Felton Spencer
1991 - Doug Smith
1992 - Tom Gugliotta
1993 - Calbert Cheaney
1994 - Sharone Wright
1995 - Big Country
1996 - Antoine Walker
1997 - Ron Mercer
1998 - Robert Traylor
1999 - Wally Szerzibiakiakiaa
2000 - DerMarr Johnson
2001 - Shane Battier
2002 - DaJuan Wagner
2003 - Chris Kaman
2004 - Josh Childress
2005 - Martell Webster
2006 - Brandon Roy
2007 - Yi Jianlian
2008 - Danilo Gallinari

Yikes. I'm not blaming the Bulls for the pick. It made total sense at the time. But more than a few of these guys were better players than Stacey. I count about 8-9, so I guess he's in the middle of the pack. It's pretty obvious who the best player was selected at #6.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

It's called being lazy. Must be too worried about drops, parodies and quoting movie lines. I guess nothing has changed since the last 2 years of MJH. Too bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:24 am 

it's very simple, if you're 6'5" or taller and can shoot a basketball, you are pretty golden in the NBA. then it's all mechanics.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:06 am 

Hatchetman wrote:

The next parent of a travel basket or base ball player I hear that has anything good or nice to say about him will be the first. Apparently, he's a dickhead winner and complete asshole loser - not shaking hands, yelling at the officials, etc. 4 yrs of college were not enough for King to mature as a human being.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

Please, let's see the draft class that Stacey King was a part of. I'd like to relive all the 'great' centers that went after King, as that was the need for the Bulls that particular year. And NBA teams usually draft for need, just ask the team that drafted Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_NBA_Draft

There's one center I would have taken over King, and then dozens of Chicago women would have been knocked up a few years later.

Jeff Sanders was the bust that year for the Bullies. What a piece of shit.

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:53 pm 

Beef Rockmore wrote:
There's one center I would have taken over King, and then dozens of Chicago women would have been knocked up a few years later.

What about Vlade and Cliff Robinson?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

JEFF SLEEPY SANDERS WAS THE BUSTER. SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED CLIFF INSTEAD OF HIM.

Who knew that Vlade would later turn into Kobe. F'n Jerry West. GENIUS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:47 am 

stacey king had a lot of talent, he was just a lazy, fatass bum. and a pussy to boot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:36 pm 

He ruined the championship victory celebration in grant park with his shitty "Whoop, there it is".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hatchetman wrote:

I don't believe he was a bum. I remember one season where Cartwright was injured and King helped the Bulls to win a very impressive % of the games he started. Granted, the team around him was outstanding. but the winning percentage with King starting, was greaterr than with Big Bill starting. Plus, his numbers that year as a starter were pretty respectable. I agree with those who say he should have been a lot better and more consistant. he was a talented offensive player, who failed to get the most from himself. But he wasn't a bum.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:06 pm 

I'd hate to see your definition of a bum. King career averages: 6.4 PPG, 3.3 RPG. He didn't average more than 16 MPG during the first 3-peat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:18 pm 

DegenerateDave wrote:

Very good call J & M.

I don't think it matters what you did in college or not - the NBA is a different league and you either adjust or don't. The only thing I think that truly matters is maturity level. Some 18 or 19 year old kids can handle it and some clearly can't - just like when we were kids - some of us matured much faster and some of us still haven't - guilty as charged.

Same can be said about any transition from college to pro. How many Heisman trophy candidates and winners have been busts in the NFL? I can think of a few that were nominated recently who now look like awesome career backup QB's (Leinart, Grossman, Young to name three really quickly.)

Personally, I think the whole argument that the kids need the education for a fallback position is moronic. How many college educated people still do stupid things; and I rest my case.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:05 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
He ruined the championship victory celebration in grant park with his shitty "Whoop, there it is".

...and Will Perdue's attempts at poetry were better?

Hang up on your bad self good dolphin.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:35 am 

B-U-M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I'd hate to see your definition of a bum. King career averages: 6.4 PPG, 3.3 RPG. He didn't average more than 16 MPG during the first 3-peat.

He was a backup to Bill Cartwright during his early years, so he didn't get a lot of opportunity to play. I think unfortunately, he got satisfied with collecting a nice check and watching the game from the bench. He should have had a better career, but he wasn't a bum. In his rookie year he averaged 8.9 points per game in just 21.7 minutes per game. If you extrapulate that to 36 minutes, he would get 14.7 points per game. In 91-92 he averaged 7 points per game, but did so in just 16.1 minutes per contest. If that were extrapulated to a 36 minutes played, he would have had 15.6 points per game. He was no All-Star, but he was no bum either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:00 am 

his best year was his rookie year and he was essentially out of the league by age 28. he was a fat brad sellers.