It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
After going into this show with an open mind I an now ready to permanently classify it as a complete train wreck.

Mac and Spiegel sound like a couple of carnival barkers taking turns seeing who can yell the loudest.

And after all these years is someone ever going to tell Mac that trying to sound like the second coming of Chet Coppick is NOT a good thing. That's exactly who he sounds like, a self indulgent blowheart.

And maybe just maybe Mac can do a little research about sports before going on the air. Would it have killed him to spend 15 minutes on the internet introducing himself to Carlos Boozer so he could've at least pretened today like he even knew who the guy was, let alone how he plays? Its not like he didn't know the topic would come up this morning.

When it comes down to it, mac really has very little knowledge about sports other than the White Sox and Bears. He pretends to know hockey, but he really doesn't have a clue about the game.

The only things Mac likes to talk about are classic rock and gambling, the latter of which just makes him look like a pathetic degenerative addict.

And lets not even talk about Spiegel, I still have no idea why he is on the air or what he brings to the table other than his annoying carnival barker voice.

When I get in the car to drive to work the last thing I want to hear is a couple morons screaming over each other. It startling the difference in quality between this show and Waddle & Silvy...like night and day.

The one years audition can't end soon enough!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
the Waddle and Silvy show sucked ass for over a year.

btw: what's a blowheart?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Suparosa on Central between Irving and Montrose. Forget about the rest!!!
I was looking forward to Dan's return but I also cannot take more than 10 minutes of this show at a time. Not sure why his cohost is who it is. This guy had to be super cheap which is the only reason I can think of as to why he is co-hosting with Dan. I probably listen about 30-40 minutes per day, I thought I would listen alot more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
blow heart:
http://tps.b-builder.co.uk/servlets/template?FILE=6&page_id=31

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Don Tiny wrote:

See, Tiny knows what I'm talking about.

As i was writing it I knew I had it wrong, but i also didn't care enough to change it...and for some reason I still can't remember what the correct term is..so I'm sticking with Blow Heart.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
shakes wrote:
After going into this show with an open mind I an now ready to permanently classify it as a complete train wreck.

Mac and Spiegel sound like a couple of carnival barkers taking turns seeing who can yell the loudest.

And after all these years is someone ever going to tell Mac that trying to sound like the second coming of Chet Coppick is NOT a good thing. That's exactly who he sounds like, a self indulgent blowheart.

And maybe just maybe Mac can do a little research about sports before going on the air. Would it have killed him to spend 15 minutes on the internet introducing himself to Carlos Boozer so he could've at least pretened today like he even knew who the guy was, let alone how he plays? Its not like he didn't know the topic would come up this morning.

When it comes down to it, mac really has very little knowledge about sports other than the White Sox and Bears. He pretends to know hockey, but he really doesn't have a clue about the game.

The only things Mac likes to talk about are classic rock and gambling, the latter of which just makes him look like a pathetic degenerative addict.

And lets not even talk about Spiegel, I still have no idea why he is on the air or what he brings to the table other than his annoying carnival barker voice.

When I get in the car to drive to work the last thing I want to hear is a couple morons screaming over each other. It startling the difference in quality between this show and Waddle & Silvy...like night and day.

The one years audition can't end soon enough!

Hey John Kirk how many mults do you have?

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
Mac hired Spiegel in order to capture the effect of his own laugh in stereo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:27 pm 

shakes wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

As i was writing it I knew I had it wrong, but i also didn't care enough to change it...and for some reason I still can't remember what the correct term is..so I'm sticking with Blow Heart.

Blowhard. It's a "d", as in 'parrot'.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:29 pm 

suckers playground wrote:
Mac hired Spiegel in order to capture the effect of his own laugh in stereo.

I'm sure it's a scrotal-tingling aural experience on HD Radio.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Can't wait until Stu Gotz, Degen Dave, and Eaglo Jeff read this....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:36 pm 

spmack wrote:

Way ahead of you SPMack! lol. I already commented.

This just sounds John Kirk'ish to me, that's all.

People can like Mac or not, it doesn't bother me much any more - everyone has their opinions.

As Swirske says, "that's why there's chocolate and vanilla". Woop.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Meh....whatever. :roll:

Edit- I really don't hate any shows, I have preferences. I prefer Mac's show over others, but it doesn't mean that I won't flip around the dial. The only show that ever made me want to hurl was the HUGE show.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

Last edited by Eaglo Jeff on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
I always knew Tiny was carrying his arrogant ass :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:56 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
I always knew Tiny was carrying his arrogant ass :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's just no call for levying that kind of a charge, particularly in polite company such as this ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:13 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

There's just no call for levying that kind of a charge, particularly in polite company such as this ...

speaking of train wrecks, I listened to CJH yesterday afternoon and they have a segment where they throw a dart at the map and then talk about sports in the place where that lands. This had Harry written all over it.

I think that is the same way that Justin Craig picks his on air talent.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:

Hate to disappoint but Im not really over the top with the show just yet either. AS I stated before I enjoyed MJH very much and the new show is a far cry from what I enjoyed on 1000 and Mac has always been an afternoon guy to me and the fact I find baseball to be a boring subject to talk about even at a ballpark let alone on the radio leaves me begging for either NFL or college football talk. I 'd like to hear more guests and less callers.

4 weeks is not long enough to build a bridge with the show and Doug brought up a great point about Silvy and Waddle and that is a show that took a while to grow on me. I don't know if Mac and Matt are the dream team for me at this point but I will give it more time and if I like and it grows on me and I'll be the first to comment and if it sucks I'll say that as well.

I will say at this point Silvy and Waddle is a far better show but that's not to say Mac's new show won't be there in 3 months or so. About as honest I can be at this early point in the game. Ask Slappy what he thinks and I think you guys will find that interesting as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
DegenerateDave wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

speaking of train wrecks, I listened to CJH yesterday afternoon and they have a segment where they throw a dart at the map and then talk about sports in the place where that lands. This had Harry written all over it.

I think that is the same way that Justin Craig picks his on air talent.

I believe it was Dan who came up with the award winning "What's in the Vending Machine?

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:25 pm 

On the whole, I like Danny Mac. Unlike B&B, he genuinely seems to enjoy talking about sports. He also has a professional broadcast delivery without sounding like an Oxford Don.

However, his slam on Reggie Lewis was unprofessional and was glad that Spiegel tried to correct the record.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Barracco's in The EP.
I'd probably qualify under the criteria as a Mac ALSer, but I'm struggling with this new show also. And it's not just Spiegel (not a fan), it's how Mac and Spiegel interact together. Just a certain back-slapping, self-gratifying element to it that seems very fake to me.

From the postings of Mac/Spiegel here, I expected that Spiegel would challenge Mac more, but I really haven't seen it happen often. Of course, it may be hard to challenge the guy whose name is on the show and you're just the "along with Matt Spiegel" part. MJH had equal billing, and although everyone knew that Mac ruled the roost, there was still a perceived equal role for everyone on the show.

Maybe with time, they'll find their place with each other, but as of right now, it's just not a good listen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Is Mac going on vacation next week? He hardly talked about it today.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
mel junior wrote:
From the postings of Mac/Spiegel here, I expected that Spiegel would challenge Mac more, but I really haven't seen it happen often. Of course, it may be hard to challenge the guy whose name is on the show and you're just the "along with Matt Spiegel" part. MJH had equal billing, and although everyone knew that Mac ruled the roost, there was still a perceived equal role for everyone on the show.

Nice thought.

And Stu, I'm mildly shocked.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
I'm not sure the show itself is a train wreck because I can't listen as often, though for the most part, I liked what I heard the week I was on vacation. To me, the real train wreck was the decision to take over the midday time slot. Ridiculous.

Mac can spew whatever stats he wants about how middays have changed in terms of listening habits, but as someone who can't listen during that time slot due to being at work (though I can slide in visits to this site, at least for now 8) ), I have absolutely no interest in listening to the podcast later that day or the next day or whenever.

There are only so many hours in the day I can devote to listening to stuff that even the draw of Mac being back isn't enough to change my listening habits. I doubt I'm alone in that thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

The Bobby Phills joke wasn't funny the first time we heard it.

He should try the Natalie Wood or Curt Kobain had dandruff joke instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
I'm not sure the show itself is a train wreck because I can't listen as often, though for the most part, I liked what I heard the week I was on vacation. To me, the real train wreck was the decision to take over the midday time slot. Ridiculous.

Mac can spew whatever stats he wants about how middays have changed in terms of listening habits, but as someone who can't listen during that time slot due to being at work (though I can slide in visits to this site, at least for now 8) ), I have absolutely no interest in listening to the podcast later that day or the next day or whenever.

There are only so many hours in the day I can devote to listening to stuff that even the draw of Mac being back isn't enough to change my listening habits. I doubt I'm alone in that thought.

I would agree with that assessment, Ed. For me, it feels like it takes awhile for Mac & Spiegs to get reved up. Call me crazy, but it seems like an early party where people are just starting to arrive. The afternoon show felt like the party was in full fledge...I mean swing.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:43 pm 

shakes wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

After blasting Mac for not preparing for he's show.......Maybe you should have prepared a little with your spelling!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:45 pm 

I actually like the show for the most part.......Not sure why Spiegle is "driving" the Danny Mac show most of the time,but other then that and a couple of minor things not bad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Ironically, there is a feel of the start of the MJH show which I really disliked when they started. Lots of talking just to start. I always felt each one of the three had to say something for every comment that was ever made. Getting a little of this right now, but also backing down.

I do see this show getting better and coming together quicker than most.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:44 pm 

I've been able to listen a lot and while I wouldn't classify it as a train wreck, it's kind of blah. It serves as background noise for me a good portion of the time.

What's annoying to me is that rather than just talking sports like two normal human beings, it often sounds like they're trying too hard to come up with clever things to say that can be turned into good bumpers for future segements.

At four-plus hours, it's also too long. While it's better than Hamp & Holmes, by noon, I, not a Murph mega-hater, am more than ready for the quirky change-of-pace that Murph's show used to offer in the midst of all the other two-man teams.

Last edited by Pappy's Crappy on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
I don't mind the new show, it's a good alternative for 4 hours of basketball and "what's wrong with the cubs" talk on waddle and silvy... I think that the show will get a lot better as time goes on and mac and meatpants build more of a report...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
I get the "more of a rapport" argument, but it doesn't change Matt's evaluation of issues relating to sports. It's a minor point, but why not drop Thunderstruck from the top of the hour rejoins? Let's move on.