It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Pujols Mows My Lawn"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:04 am 
1000 CLUB

The show just did this street style interview thing around Wrigley Field asking Cub fans what they though of Pujols. I'd say about half of the people said "uh yeah he mows my lawn". Aside from the fact that it makes Cub fans look like foolish racists, how the hell does the station think this is appropriate to not only play once but multiple times during the segment. If I was Hispanic I'd be pretty damn pissed that they aired that crap. "yeah I can't stand the Jew on that team, he does my accounting I think". This is not cool and I'd be angry as a Cub fan that the Score represented the fanbase like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
It's because there are dozens of street vendors outside Wrigley selling the shirt that says "Pujols Mows My lawn."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:17 am 
1000 CLUB

If there were other racial things on t-shirts it wouldn't make it ok for interviewees to quote them or for major radio stations to play those quotes as a funny bit. Someone dropped the ball on this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Ok, my bad... missed the point (and not sure how after re-reading)that it was more about the radio station allowing it to play it, rather than the people who said it. Reading is a skill.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:28 am 
1000 CLUB

Chris in St. Charles wrote:
Ok, my bad... missed the point (and not sure how after re-reading)that it was more about the radio station allowing it to play it, rather than the people who said it. Reading is a skill.

I still have a problem with the people saying it, they should know better despite probably being drunk (and obviously stupid). The station should know better though. Would be funny if for some reason Ozzie or some other local hispanic sports person heard that. I bet it won't go well. Oh well, it will probably disappear into the ether like these things always do, unless it's done by Mike North. Now had North done it, this would be an all out war already.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:46 am 

I guess you can't stop people from saying it, but I, too, was surprised the Score decided to perpetuate the comments by turning them into a supposedly humorous bit.

(Is there possibly something more to this "mow my lawn" thing that I don't understand? If it's just a putdown of Pujols' heritage, what's the point? Like the Cubs don't have Hispanic players, too? Cub fans, feel free to enlighten me.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:48 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I think Cardnials fans had this shirt first but with Zambrano.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: nowhere
The truth is that all those people along with M&H would be mowing Pujols' lawn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East - Pepperoni & Garlic Deep Dish
hawkeye wrote:
Chris in St. Charles wrote:

I still have a problem with the people saying it, they should know better despite probably being drunk (and obviously stupid). The station should know better though. Would be funny if for some reason Ozzie or some other local hispanic sports person heard that. I bet it won't go well. Oh well, it will probably disappear into the ether like these things always do, unless it's done by Mike North. Now had North done it, this would be an all out war already.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/2009/06/so_about_that_ozzie_mows_wrigl.html
Quote:
Ozzie Guillen might not like coming to Wrigley Field, but the White Sox manager seemed to be having a good time there Wednesday.

Before the Sox' 4-1 victory over the Cubs, he greeted Cubs manager Lou Piniella on the field and lifted up his black warmup jacket to reveal a Cubbie-blue T-shirt that read, ''Ozzie Mows Wrigley.'' The two shared a hearty laugh about Guillen's new purchase, which he made that morning outside the stadium that he says makes him ''puke.''

Rich Callow, the vendor who sold the shirt to Guillen, said he saw Guillen arriving at the ballpark.

''I told Ozzie, 'Hey you want to see a T-shirt?''' Callow said. ''He came over and looked at it and started laughing. He liked it a lot and wanted to buy it.''
Callow said Guillen didn't pay for the shirt himself but had someone else come back outside to pay the $20 price.

Callow didn't know Guillen intended to wear it.

The shirt features a caricature of a smiling Guillen pushing a lawnmower with the Wrigley scoreboard in the background.

''If I made a shirt like that, they would have me back on the couch for my sensitivity training,'' Guillen joked.

The stereotypical nature of the grass-cutting theme came under criticism last month after a sports blog posted a picture of a St. Louis Cardinals fan wearing a shirt that said ''Zambrano mows my lawn" -- a reference to Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano -- and a picture of a man cutting grass while wearing a sombrero.

Theresa Nagle, who designed the shirt and has several souvenir stands throughout the Wrigleyville area, said she didn't receive any complaints.

''Today we were selling the shirts and every Sox fan that was at the game didn't take it as offensive,'' Nagle said. ''Obviously, if Ozzie bought the shirt and wore it, I don't think he took it offensively. In his eyes, he does like that shirt. If he didn't like it, he wouldn't wear it.''

Nagle said the shirt shouldn't be taken seriously.

''We're not against the Sox and it wasn't meant as anything bad against him,'' she said. ''It was meant jokingly."

As the rain-shortened two-game series wraps up this afternoon, Nagle anticipates increased sales thanks to Guillen.

''I'm pretty sure sales are going to double on that shirt since he wore it all day,'' she said.

*Special thanks to Joe Cowley*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
yeah, they dont sell any really tasteless stuff around the Cell.

When is Mullett night again?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: nowhere
^that's everynight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
bigfan wrote:
yeah, they dont sell any really tasteless stuff around the Cell.

When is Mullett night again?

CUCK THE FUBS!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
bigfan wrote:
When is Mullet night again?

Mr. Hernandez wrote:
^that's everynight

Still makes me laugh every time.