It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Get 'em, STU.....get 'em!

Can I have some more White Sox tix too?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Seriously, get a life. You, sarley, and kerchung seem to ONLY post to take petty jabs at me. If thats what gives you your kicks, bully for you. Its also quite sad and pathetic.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Seriously, get a life. You, sarley, and kerchung seem to ONLY post to take petty jabs at me. If thats what gives you your kicks, bully for you. Its also quite sad and pathetic.

Seinfeld haters?

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

Wouldn't surprise me. All 3 are easily stupid enough to hate that show.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:27 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me. All 3 are easily stupid enough to hate that show.

I like you despite your affinity for a certain SS baseball team.

BTW - I find your posts about the Cubs to be perhaps the most brutally honest evaluation from a Sox fan.

We Cubby fans can be delusional.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

Admission is the first step in finding a fix to the problem :P

DegenerateDave wrote:
BTW - I find your posts about the Cubs to be perhaps the most brutally honest evaluation from a Sox fan.

I dare you to go post that in the Cub forum :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:34 pm 

STU-GOTZ wrote:
You're step dad write that one for ya big boy. 1983 called they want that joke back . You're mom and sister called they said the whorehouse closes at 4 but they;ll be a little late in getting home as a Prision bus just pulled up.

STU...your really calling someone out for using lame old jokes and then using the ____ called thing?!!

Jon Lovitz did that bit. Jon Lovitz.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Stu vs Darkside is way more entertaining than Spmack vs Darkside would have ever beenm....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Mac wrote:
....is flight miles. That's it. Nothing more than experience and, with that, increased comfort.

I returned from Canada late last night to find all the thoughts posted here. As always, thanks for the feedback. Some of the ideas were good ones... some made me laugh... some pissed me off. I'm comfortable with my decision to bring in Spiegel. He's more thoughtful than most hosts with whom I've worked and to whom I've listened. He has more radio skills than most. He has more energy, on and off the air, than most. We'll be fine... in fact... we'll be great. I've managed to make shows with lesser partners work, so I see no reason to believe this one won't go on a nice run. I'm every bit as focussed and determined as ever... maybe more so... but I refuse to force anything.

There is an adjustment period for the crew and for the audience. It's new... doesn't sound the same as the last show I did, which many of you heard regularly for more than seven years. Spiegel, to many of you, is new. It takes some time for an audience to get comfortable with a sound that's different from what you've grown accustomed. Same with the hosts and producers. It's a learning process. I view the rest of the summer as "continued training camp," with the season beginning in September.

We don't need forced bits (or laughter... that's a valid criticism).... a forced name for the show. We don't need a third guy. We need flight miles. That's it. By the way, would love to see a thread started on all the great bits done locally by our sports talk stations. Which one knocks you out the most? "Would you rather?" "Who you crappin'?" "I've got a rock in my shoe." I think most of 'em suck, and that includes the ones that appeared on shows I've driven. "Who Do You Love?" is one of the few redeeming bits and it took three or four years to get that right (and with the help of this board... thanks, good dolphin and others).

By the way, also wanted to let Darkside, Walt Williams Neck, and other critics of my vacation know my sons and I had a fucking awesome time in Canada. Fishing was good. Did our first fly-in to a muskie lake (Pincher Lake) and boated 15 toothy critters. On Eagle Lake, we hammered the walleyes in 30 feet of water off of some rock humps. Food and conversation were good. All in all, a great week. And in my best Col. Nathan Jessup.... I have neither the time nor the desire to explain to you why I left. I'd just as soon you leave me to my Rolling Stones music and walleye fillets and let me go my way. Either way, I don't give a damn about what you think you are entitled to.

Mac, I think you're the best host in Chicago, but your show needs a lot of work. I hope you're right that time will cure what ails it. I may give it a listen from time to time to see if it has improved, but frankly after two weeks, it wasn't worth listening to in my office. I'll admit I don't like the time slot, and I think your partner is weak. You make a good point about lesser partners, and I am still amazed that MJH worked as well as it did.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
RFDC wrote:
I just reread the last paragraph of Mac's response and I don't see or hear nasty especially compared with all the things people have said about Mac on here, and also it was not just directed at you Darkside, but at Walt and "others", so I wouldn't take things personally.

How was my opinion different from Darkside? Now you're interpreting Mac's written words wrong. Where doesn't he lump Darkside and I together in this:

By the way, also wanted to let Darkside, Walt Williams Neck, and other critics of my vacation know my sons and I had a fucking awesome time in Canada. Fishing was good. Did our first fly-in to a muskie lake (Pincher Lake) and boated 15 toothy critters.

Call me asswipe all day long if that's how you get your Jolly's fine...but please take a comprehension class

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
spmack wrote:
Stu vs Darkside is way more entertaining than Spmack vs Darkside would have ever beenm....

I disagree. Let's find out....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:32 pm 

Mac says above, "It's a learning process. I view the rest of the summer as 'continued training camp,' with the season beginning in September."

From the Score website: "Dan celebrates his 25th anniversary in Chicago radio in August . . .'I've been in "training camp" for this for more than four months,' said McNeil. 'It's time to let the tigers out.' "

Danny Mac, who you crappin'?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Great post by Midget, said it a lot more eloquently than I ever could.

One thing I totally forgot and its easily mac's biggest weak spot....the GAMBLING! Stop talking about fucking gambling on your show! No one cares what game you bet the night before. Ok, correction, there's probably a few degenerate gambling addicts in the audience that love that stuff, but 99% of the listeners don't gamble and don't give a shit about how much money you won/lost this weekend betting a parlay on a -6 away spread and a low 41 over/under. That is NOT sports talk. That's gambling talk.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
I don't mind the gambling talk, but only about football. Betting on baseball seems like compulsive behavior.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:49 pm 

shakes wrote:

One thing I totally forgot and its easily mac's biggest weak spot....the GAMBLING! Stop talking about fucking gambling on your show! No one cares what game you bet the night before. Ok, correction, there's probably a few degenerate gambling addicts in the audience that love that stuff, but 99% of the listeners don't gamble and don't give a shit about how much money you won/lost this weekend betting a parlay on a -6 away spread and a low 41 over/under. That is NOT sports talk. That's gambling talk.

Right. That's why all those gambling services waste their money advertising on every possible sports radio outlet from August through March.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:49 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
spmack wrote:

I count at least 4 board matches going on today

maybe more lets see...

ya got

DGEN DAVE vs SCORE KIRK
FAKE NSJ VS DARKSIDE
SPMACK VS SEACREST
STU VS DARKSIDE
MAC VS. DARKSIDE/WWN
STU VS. SHAKES
FRANK VS ELMHURST STEVE (AS USUAL)

AND WHAT I CONSIDER THE BEST BOUT AND MAIN EVENT

TALL MIDGET VS. MR BIBS

FUCK THATS 8...AND IM PROBABLY MISSING A FEW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:54 pm 

shakes wrote:
99% of the listeners don't gamble.

I think this percentage is much too high for football but might be right for baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Jalapenos and More wrote:
shakes wrote:

I think this percentage is much too high for football but might be right for baseball.

I'd say that at least 60% or more of listeners have gambled on football. Let's be real here, it's guy radio and us guys like to gamble.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:57 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
spmack wrote:

I count at least 4 board matches going on today

maybe more lets see...

ya got

DGEN DAVE vs SCORE KIRK
FAKE NSJ VS DARKSIDE
SPMACK VS SEACREST
STU VS DARKSIDE
MAC VS. DARKSIDE/WWN
STU VS. SHAKES
FRANK VS ELMHURST STEVE (AS USUAL)

AND WHAT I CONSIDER THE BEST BOUT AND MAIN EVENT

TALL MIDGET VS. MR BIBS

FUCK THATS 8...AND IM PROBABLY MISSING A FEW

Damn - this is the perfect time for a Who do you love segment!

Stu comes out of the gate firing, Darkside tends to build his momentum as the season goes on.
Stu really brings the fire and the passion and the bathroom humor.
I say give Darkside the 2 points and vote on the favorite.
I LOOOOVE Stu to cover.

Frank is a Sox fan and just like Paul Konerko has his good half and bad half. His bad half is especially evil to Cubs fans.
Steve is a dyed in blue Cubby fan and voraciously defends his points and love of all things Cubby.
Frank heats up as the battle will go on, but will likely resort to a cheap shot while losing his cool.
Elmhurst Steve's barbs can be explosive as well.
I'm going to lay off the winner and take the points and the points in this case are Cubs lemming shots vs White Sox hillbilly/poor attendance references and the over is at 15.
I LOOOVE the over.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:59 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
While I have been a fan of Mac's since his early days at the Score, I think shakes raises many valid points here:

1)Mac's running Coppock imitation, constant reference to film scenes, and perpetual discussion of what he's planning on talking about in the next segment or next week give the show an unwieldy and artificial level of self-consciousness that makes his show a difficult listen. This self-consciousness impedes conversational chemistry and gives the show a distant quality that makes it seem more like a sports talk show about sports talk rather than a conversation about sports.

2)The constant name-dropping about Allen Brothers Steaks and the comforts of Mackeyland is stale. I make this point not out of class envy, but out of boredom. Rich people can be fabulously interesting in their decadence, but Mac isn't decadent. His aspirations are purely suburban and thus he's pretty boring when he talks about his consumption habits. As I've said before, Mac thinks he's Keith Richards, but he comes off as Mike Brady.

3)The continued passionate defense of classic rock makes Mac seem increasingly out of touch time passes. He seems to be taking Pappy's place as a champion of a bygone era with decreasing appeal.

4)Perhaps because Mac's monologues are so crowded with the above detritus, he sometimes seems unprepared to talk about sports. He's gotten by with this "casual" approach in the past, but I'm not sure his luck will continue.

None of these problems are fatal, though. Mac is a very talented talker and can become entertaining again if he exercises a little commonsense and some broadcasting discipline. I'm more concerned about Spiegel, though, who faces a much more difficult task if he is to succeed alongside Mac:

1)Contrary to Mac's assertions, it's clear that Spiegel doesn't possess a highly evolved "sports brain." While Spiegel excels in a fact-driven, topical sports talk format, he flounders when he is forced to draw conclusions or offer opinions based on those facts. In a few short weeks on the air, he has uttered a year's worth of silly proclamations. His inability to succeed in a speculative conversational style doesn't bode well for him because it is precisely this kind of fluid, unstructured approach to radio that Mac seems to prefer.

2)Again, contrary to Mac's earlier posts on Meatpants, Spiegel's warmth appears to be a weakness rather than a strength. Rather than bringing out new dimensions to Mac's personality, Spiegel's various passions and enthusiasms have only succeeded in making him seem alternately disingenuous and naive. Further, in constantly trying to "bring out the love" for one thing or another, Spiegel strikes me as an anachronism, a broadcaster out of touch with the current state of the Chicago sports talk landscape. It's not his newness that's a problem, then, but his outdated approach to sports talk that makes him seem like he's out of his league.

Finally, if it is true that all the Danny Mac show requires for success is additional flight miles, why was the reaction here to Spiegel's pairing with several fill-in hosts this week so positive? Why did Spiegel succeed with "low flight-time hosts" while struggling alongside Mac, with whom he has an established relationship and radio partnership? Even if one discounts some or all of the problems I identify above, the consensus here seems to be that Spiegel sounds much better with other partners than he does with Mac. This fact points to a problem that is perhaps much bigger and more troubling than the lack of "flight time" Mac conveniently chooses to identify as the chief drawback in his current show.

Excellent post, as usual, and I certainly disagree with little of it. However, I have a question. You've pretty much run through Mac's entire act here and why it doesn't work for you. What, may I ask, about Mac has, as you say, made you "a fan of his since his early days at the Score"? After reading all this, I'm not quite sure what's left to like about him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:59 pm 

If there's money on the line (and why wouldn't there be), fantasy football is gambling, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:00 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
How was my opinion different from Darkside? Now you're interpreting Mac's written words wrong. Where doesn't he lump Darkside and I together in this:

Never said anything like that. Try reading.

Quote:
Call me asswipe all day long

:thumright:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:00 pm 

shakes wrote:

Yeah, you're right, I was overstating it a bit. But, what gets really annoying is when someone will bring up a game and rather than talk about the actual game Mac will immediately talk about how he had such and such team giving the points. No one wants to hear about the details of someone else's gambling problem. And Mac definitely has a gambling problem. I don't think that's even debatable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:02 pm 

Mac wrote:
I'm comfortable with my decision to bring in Spiegel.

This boss/employee dynamic is evident during the show, and absent this week with the guest hosts.
That's why MJH worked from the start.
Jurko & Tiny never treated Mac like their boss.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
shakes wrote:
shakes wrote:

Yeah, you're right, I was overstating it a bit. But, what gets really annoying is when someone will bring up a game and rather than talk about the actual game Mac will immediately talk about how he had such and such team giving the points. No one wants to hear about the details of someone else's gambling problem. And Mac definitely has a gambling problem. I don't think that's even debatable.

It's only a problem if you're dipping into the non-auxilary funds and start chasing it. It sounds like Mac doesn't let it get to that.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:04 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Contrary to Mac's assertions, it's clear that Spiegel doesn't possess a highly evolved "sports brain." While Spiegel excels in a fact-driven, topical sports talk format, he flounders when he is forced to draw conclusions or offer opinions based on those facts. In a few short weeks on the air, he has uttered a year's worth of silly proclamations. His inability to succeed in a speculative conversational style doesn't bode well for him because it is precisely this kind of fluid, unstructured approach to radio that Mac seems to prefer.

This is an issue no amount of flight time can resolve. Fact-based, opinion-neutral sports radio is what ESPN national does with the exception of its fake iconoclasts like Colin Cowherd.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:05 pm 

shakes wrote:
shakes wrote:

Of course that's debatable.

Unless you know for a fact that Mac takes food out of his family's mouths to support his gambling hobby I don't see how you can make that statement.

But that fits in well with a pattern you have developed - throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.

I find that completely irresponsible for you to say that and I think that takes it into a personal vain that you may not want to venture down.

It's one thing to say you do or don't like Mac's show, but to say that he or anyone that you have no idea about personally has a gambling problem or any other kind of problem without the facts behind it, is baseless and asinine.

So, yeah I guess you could say that is "debatable".

It would be the essence of someone saying you are a drunk because you talk about what a good time you and your buddies have at the bar you frequent on the weekends.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:05 pm 

Mustang Rob wrote:
Mac wrote:
I'm comfortable with my decision to bring in Spiegel.

This boss/employee dynamic is evident during the show, and absent this week with the guest hosts.
That's why MJH worked from the start.
Jurko & Tiny never treated Mac like their boss.

Ooooh, I think this man's on to something here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:08 pm 

If there's money on the line (and why wouldn't there be), fantasy football is gambling, too.

Yep, but its imo a different type of gambling. Fantasy football isn't something that appeals to degenerates like Mac. FF only pays out at the end of the year, way too long to wait for an addict like mac to get his fix.

And here's the problem I have. I love FF, I play it all the time in money and non money leagues. But, the last thing I want to hear is a sports show talking about a football game and rather than analyze the game the host only wants to talk about how many points he got from the visiting team's kicker. Same goes for gambling. Keep that stuff to yourself.

No one wants to hear about someone else's FF team. And likewise, no one wants to hear about a gambling addicts picks from weekend.

Changing topic, someone mentioned eariler the critics at extra large segment. I agree, I loved that segment. They should bring that back. Its not something you hear anywhere else, especially in a business where most people are too scared or too als to want to rip on other media members.

The only other regular segment I like(d) is Who You Crappin but that has gone to shit lately due to mismanagement and playing favorites.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:10 pm 

DegenerateDave wrote:
Of course that's debatable.

Unless you know for a fact that Mac takes food out of his family's mouths to support his gambling hobby I don't see how you can make that statement.

But that fits in well with a pattern you have developed - throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.

I find that completely irresponsible for you to say that and I think that takes it into a personal vain that you may not want to venture down.

It's one thing to say you do or don't like Mac's show, but to say that he or anyone that you have no idea about personally has a gambling problem or any other kind of problem without the facts behind it, is baseless and asinine.

So, yeah I guess you could say that is "debatable".

It would be the essence of someone saying you are a drunk because you talk about what a good time you and your buddies have at the bar you frequent on the weekends.

If you're drinking all the time, you're an alcoholic. If you're gambling all the time, you're a degenerate gambler.

Just because Mac is a functional gambling addict doesn't make him any less of an addict.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next