It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Right here for you.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Spaulding wrote:
Puckhead wrote:
I have no more enjoyment in any of it. Perhaps I am only speaking for myself and projecting that to others, but I have heard similar comments from others.

I think some of it is the comfort level and possibly age of the hosts. They also don't dig too deep into the analysis of sports very much, but I feel is because they are tying to appeal to a broad audience.

You are probably right, the giant corporate nipple does need to be sucked.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:55 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Puckhead wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Quote:
in all honesty sports radio has jumped the shark so you do the best you can with what you have.

How has it jumped the shark?

I believe it's all just gotten old and outdated. It's the same dumb calls over and over. The interviews with players are canned. As much as people hated North, he was the only guy that asked tough (and sometimes really dumb) questions during interviews. Now there are newspaper guys who are just talking about the same crap they write in their paper. B&B have had the same schtick for what now, 8 years? Its just getting old. I used to get excited about waking up to Murph and Fred. I used to enjoy the listen to T-Dub on the way home from hockey. I have no more enjoyment in any of it. Perhaps I am only speaking for myself and projecting that to others, but I have heard similar comments from others.

Puchhead,
You just put into words my thoughts exactly.
I know I'm living in the past, but Man, I miss the guys you mention in your post.
WSCR has become so sterile as a result of the retread newspaper guys that I just dont enjoy it quite as much as I used to.
Yet, we still listen...hoping that the Score will return to greatness.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:21 am 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
Scorehead wrote:
Yet, we still listen...hoping that the Score will return to greatness.

But it won't, if I understand your definition of "greatness" correctly, rooted in what so many of us found greatly enjoyable in the station's past programming. The circumstances surrounding the early days of the Score are unique to that time and cannot be recreated. This is not to say that the Score can't have a renaissance, but, if it does, this second "golden age" won't manifest itself in ways we can predict, especially if new on-air talent proves to be a root cause.

If the last month has proven anything, it's that nostalgia-driven programming doesn't recreate the past. It's somewhat like the difference of being in high school vs. a high school reunion. You can't go back home again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:11 am 

Puckhead wrote:
Let me also add, since joining this board, I have realized how many very creepy people are out there treating sports radio jockies like celebrities in the tabloids. I never realized the hatred of North. I have nothing personal against guys like RodeoVann, Good Dolphin and Beardown, but oh my God.

I'd sure like to know how I am in that group as it is fairly well known that I don't hate North...but I guess you met Fred and he doesn't like me...but I'm the creepy one

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:37 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Puckhead wrote:
I also realized how many good natured people were fans of MJH. While some of you have been a little out there, the group from MJH have been a pleasure to meet and know. W_Z, M_C, HHJ, Spaulding, Frank, Darkside and Grid are/were all very real and cool people to meet. I think with the breakup of MJH, it killed a good subculture.

I see how it is...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
Matt,

I think the most important thing to take from all this shit that is being posted is that both you and Mac listen and respond to your fans. Are you both perfect? Of course not. Who would want to listen to something like that? Fans of Milt Rosenberg, maybe.

You guys listen, you evaluate the comments and you implement them into your programming if at all possible and you take the criticism constuctively and try to improve.

Who the fuck would not appreciate that as a fan?

Kudos.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Dan's Pizza in Lisle
DegenerateDave wrote:
Matt,

I think the most important thing to take from all this shit that is being posted is that both you and Mac listen and respond to your fans. Are you both perfect? Of course not. Who would want to listen to something like that? Fans of Milt Rosenberg, maybe.

You guys listen, you evaluate the comments and you implement them into your programming if at all possible and you take the criticism constuctively and try to improve.

Who the fuck would not appreciate that as a fan?

Kudos.

:salut:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Quote:
Evolution, people. I ain't skeered. Mac and I communicate well, even when one of us is being a dipshit.

You guys probably communicate very well since you both are dipshits.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
good dolphin wrote:
Puckhead wrote:
Let me also add, since joining this board, I have realized how many very creepy people are out there treating sports radio jockies like celebrities in the tabloids. I never realized the hatred of North. I have nothing personal against guys like RodeoVann, Good Dolphin and Beardown, but oh my God.

I'd sure like to know how I am in that group as it is fairly well known that I don't hate North...but I guess you met Fred and he doesn't like me...but I'm the creepy one

Hey, Im just going on what I heard for that one. I dont remember 99% of your posts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:23 am 

Puckhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Puckhead wrote:

Hey, Im just going on what I heard for that one. I dont remember 99% of your posts.

Fred is upset because I nicknamed him and Annie, Steve and Edie, because they were parrots for North, similar to Steve and Edie on the old SNL skit, The Sinatra Group.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:38 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Fred is upset because I nicknamed him and Annie, Steve and Edie, because they were parrots for North, similar to Steve and Edie on the old SNL skit, The Sinatra Group.

Phil Hartman as Frank Sinatra wrote:
kick his ass Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:46 am 

I believe it's all just gotten old and outdated. It's the same dumb calls over and over. The interviews with players are canned. As much as people hated North, he was the only guy that asked tough (and sometimes really dumb) questions during interviews. Now there are newspaper guys who are just talking about the same crap they write in their paper. B&B have had the same schtick for what now, 8 years? Its just getting old. I used to get excited about waking up to Murph and Fred. I used to enjoy the listen to T-Dub on the way home from hockey. I have no more enjoyment in any of it. Perhaps I am only speaking for myself and projecting that to others, but I have heard similar comments from others.[/quote]

Agree with the comments.........The SCORE has sold out for corporate and sponser money,period.It used to be about the listeners now its about the hosts and who can bring in most advertising money...........

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:28 am 

TheSerb wrote:
I believe it's all just gotten old and outdated. It's the same dumb calls over and over. The interviews with players are canned. As much as people hated North, he was the only guy that asked tough (and sometimes really dumb) questions during interviews. Now there are newspaper guys who are just talking about the same crap they write in their paper. B&B have had the same schtick for what now, 8 years? Its just getting old. I used to get excited about waking up to Murph and Fred. I used to enjoy the listen to T-Dub on the way home from hockey. I have no more enjoyment in any of it. Perhaps I am only speaking for myself and projecting that to others, but I have heard similar comments from others.

Agree with the comments.........The SCORE has sold out for corporate and sponser money,period.It used to be about the listeners now its about the hosts and who can bring in most advertising money...........[/quote]

The problem is, it is the ratings that determine the commercial sales value, & WSCR ratings are brutal...probably the lowest in the 17 year history of the station.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:39 pm 

The problem is, it is the ratings that determine the commercial sales value, & WSCR ratings are brutal...probably the lowest in the 17 year history of the station.[/quote]

There has never been more commercials then the last 9-10 years on the score.........The ratings have been about the same for the whole time.How do you explain that?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:41 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
The problem is, it is the ratings that determine the commercial sales value, & WSCR ratings are brutal...probably the lowest in the 17 year history of the station.

I very much doubt the ratings are lower than most of the 820 era.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ad rates have plummeted

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:47 pm 

Jalapenos and More wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

I very much doubt the ratings are lower than most of the 820 era.

I would like to see the ratings from this period.
The 820 Score days were before AM 1000 existed as a sports station, right?
So their ratings may have been better than today.
I'm sure someone has these ratings...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:23 pm 

Just about every radio station everywhere is desperate for ad dollars. WSCR consistently destroyed WMVP in the ratings during the HFC era.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Spiegel, congrats on growing a set today. You really stood up to mac, something I didn't think you were capable of or even allowed to do. Maybe there is hope for you after all. :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
meatpants wrote:
We read you, and we love that you're listening and thinking about the show.

Some of your points are solid, and the feedback is genuinely helpful.

Some of your points are venomous, and seem perhaps intended to just try and be mean-spirited for sport, but we can handle that too.

All taken in context. I look at the hate, the loathing, as skin thickener. I asked for this gig, and welcome it. I'm well aware that I'm a pin cushion often talking to pin pushers.

I'm having a great time. I feel like I'm getting better at this particular job every day, which is the goal, with everything in my life. As a host, I'm not a finished project, and lord knows the show isn't, so some bumpy rides are par for the course. That said, I know how to do this, this radio show thing, and I'll keep on believing in what I think is good radio. Getting there is a process.

I had a great time driving this week...with the cavalcade of sportswriters, none of whom I chose by the way, but all of whom I enjoyed for different reasons. Some days better than others; different guys, different strengths. I know some of you listened...imagine many of you punched the freaking button, so be it. It was a good week.

Driving the bus, like this week and with Hit and Run on Sundays, is nice, to get me back in touch with a level of calm, simply conversational Spiegel which has been occasionally hard to access with Mac...I'll give you that. We're going to talk about that, and a lot of stuff, tomorrow. One thing you guys have written about is the manic energy sometimes, and us fighting over air space and funniness, and guess what; you're right.

Evolution, people. I ain't skeered. Mac and I communicate well, even when one of us is being a dipshit. We're gonna be stronger every week.

What a difference 4 years makes.

Eat a donut KS!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:50 pm 

Your really digging deep in the search function.