It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Taking Calls
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
Darkside wrote:
DegenerateDave wrote:
I wasn't one of the ones that flamed you though, was I darkie? I don't think I did.

No. Not at all.
I'm just taking a shot at the show for wanting to talk to Cutler's people at the same time that S&W were actually interviewing Cutler. Good Times!

I have to give credit to Waddle and Silvy's producers. They get relevant interviews on their show.

They are the best out there right now bar none. They have the belt...

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
DegenerateDave wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
While I agree with the vast majority of Shirtless Driver's post, I find it a particularly ironic one coming from someone who is a charter member of the B&B ALS. Almost everything he said about Mac's show could be applied to B&B, especially its worn out self-congratulatory tone.

That's because it's fun to be a hypocrite when noone is calling people out for it. Nice catch TM.

Listen, I know that Mac and Spiegs is not a listen for everyone - granted. As a charter member of the Mac ALS squad, I fully admit that I enjoyed the MJH show, minus the last year or so, more than I have enjoyed the pairing of Mac and Meatpants - but I also have an open mind to saying that it is still in it's infancy. I am withholding judgment until more than a couple of months have passed. I have compared the listening of Waddle and Silvy at the beginning to Waddle and Silvy now and as I have stated numerous times, it's definitively better and I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

What we have here is a group of people that watch as someone is standing on the top of a tall building and instead of being horrified are yelling "Jump". The Gloopans, Shirtless Driver, SID, IB, John Kirk/Scorehead's of the board couldn't really care less who Mac was paired with. If Jesus himself came down to co-host the show with Mac, these guys would say that it's too high and mighty, Jesus sounds condescending like he died for all of us or something and that they really don't care what his background was his voice sounds too gameshowish.

It is what it is. I probably shouldn't even post to this thread because no amount of arguing or debating is going to get this group of people to change their minds (or the station for that matter) so every second of attention-whoreness that they receive is counterproductive.

Wrong. I love Mac. I cant stand Spiegel.
As I have stated numerous times before, if Mac was paired with either Hood, Goff, or Jurko, I would absolutly love this show.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
IB wrote:
But frankly, the knee-jerk defenders make me more likely, not less, to make negative comments. And I'll continue to do so- just like for any other show- when it is warranted.

Most of the people defending him are his friends. None of them have said the show is perfect but why would you expect them to sit silent when people are cutting him apart? Nobody tears into me or TM or anybody else when we express an unfavorable opinion about the show if our comments are about the show and not an attack on either of the hosts. You try to be objective most of the time when you depend on stats and facts, how do you not see the difference between the emotional statements and the qualitative ones?

I said a few weeks ago I find some of the hate and the love equally strange.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:41 am 

i've heard jay cutler interviewed before. truth is... talking about him is far more interesting than talking TO him. that's the case with 99% of pro jockos. i'll take entertaining over big names any day. enjoy silvy & waddle's next interview.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:42 am 

Spaulding wrote:
IB wrote:
But frankly, the knee-jerk defenders make me more likely, not less, to make negative comments. And I'll continue to do so- just like for any other show- when it is warranted.

Most of the people defending him are his friends. None of them have said the show is perfect but why would you expect them to sit silent when people are cutting him apart? Nobody tears into me or TM or anybody else when we express an unfavorable opinion about the show if our comments are about the show and not an attack on either of the hosts. You try to be objective most of the time when you depend on stats and facts, how do you not see the difference between the emotional statements and the qualitative ones?

Spaulding - thank you for conveying perfectly what I was trying to say.

I don't speak so well sometimes when big words come into my head - lol.

Spot on - exactly what I meant and didn't say very well..

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:44 am 

DegenerateDave wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
I'll take FM until 1:30 from here on out.

So Shirtless - are you going to be a man of your word? Does that mean that starting today we can expect no more threads or comments about how you dislike this show?

If so, you will be the first one of the haters ever to live up to your word.

I'm counting on you...

Are you Mac agent...or Mother?
Why does it bother you so much that some people dont like the Mac show?
My dilema is I like Mac, but cant stand Spiegel.
I still listen because I like Mac.
If I could just figure out a way to filter out Spiegel!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:45 am 

Scorehead wrote:
As I have stated numerous times before, if Mac was paired with either Hood, Goff, or Jurko, I would absolutly love this show.

Scorehead really? I guess I will have to take your word for it - I don't want to appear too stalkish by going back and checking some previous threads. lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:49 am 

Mac wrote:
i've heard jay cutler interviewed before. truth is... talking about him is far more interesting than talking TO him. that's the case with 99% of pro jockos. i'll take entertaining over big names any day. enjoy silvy & waddle's next interview.

Honestly, I have heard about 5 to 10 seconds of drops of Jay Cutler sound bites total since he came to the Bears and that was in response to the Urlacher thing.

Entertaining is always better than big names. Finding a big name AND entertaining at the same time - well that's the proverbial needle in the haystack.

Mac wrote:

So are you doing this show for you or your listeners? What is not entertaining for you maybe entertaining for your audience. Count me in as part of the group that would like to hear from Cutler. If it's boring, fine, he is boring.

pizza_Place: ***
Spaulding wrote:
IB wrote:

People ripped into Darkside pretty good when he criticized him for going on vacation so early. That was pretty far from an anti-Mac diatribe. I think you're right as far as you go- you don't rip into people when the offer honest criticism- but that isn't true on the whole.

Also, this is a cheap shot, but it's been placed on a tee:

Mac wrote:
i'll take entertaining over big names any day

If only Mitch Rosen felt the same way...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:54 am 

Mac,

I had given up on your show some time ago - for many reasons, but most notedly the guy you put in your side car. I loved you with Terry back in the day, never listened to you on WMVP, and was excited for you to come back to The Score. I gave your new show a shot, but it just wasn't very enjoyable.

You spend a whole hell of a lot of time ingratiating yourself with the fans, a fairly unique thing amongst radio guys. I'm sure this is a big part of your "success" in the business. But I've come back to this forum, from time to time over the past month or so, and have seen plenty of excellent observations/criticisms of you and/or your show - and your silence on those is amazing. You're quick to drop names of fanboys on the air. Hell, I've even heard you mention this site by name. But you come across as fairly disingenuous when you clearly read through a thread and selectively pick and choose things to comment on.

I guess you could be like Terry and pretend that the internet is full of nothing but mouth breathers and pantsless creeps RATHER than glad-hand the masses ... I guess I'm just looking for a little balance. I know there are a lot of people who "hate" just to "hate" on this here interwebs, but there are some really solid observations about your show that I have NEVER seen you address....and I don't know why. Have you been burned by getting into a pissing match online ... so you choose only to blabber on and on about how much booze you're going to buy your guys for the next outing rather than appreciate fans/former fans offering some input about the show?

Mac wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:55 am 

DegenerateDave wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Scorehead really? I guess I will have to take your word for it - I don't want to appear too stalkish by going back and checking some previous threads. lol

I'm a long time member of the Mac ALS & I was pumped about his return to WSCR.
I really though Jurko was coming to the Score too. Oh well.
Mac & Hood would be great spoorts radio.
I hope this show gets on track somehow.
As I said last night though, the similarities between North & Mac are there.
Mac is doing the exact same thing that North did. He has complete control & like North, has complete control. I hope Mac doesnt end up doing a crash & burn like North has.
Rosen should know better than to give a show host complete control.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Langel's
DegenerateDave wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:

Guilty, I suppose.

What exactly makes somebody part of an ALS? Those parameters haven't been clearly established IMO.

I personally tune in to just about any of the sports radio shows (maybe my bar is too low), no matter what show it may be. I like some shows more than others and maybe I'm guilty of being part of Mac's ALS, but I don't really hate on other shows that much. The only show I can't stand is The Dan Patrick Show replay (thank God Grobber is back), or any replay show for that matter. If I want to hear a replay of a show, I'll go check out a podcast.

So as far as being part of Mac's ALS, whatever...sure. I've liked his shows since he started with Boers back in '92. I had the pleasure of interning for the HFC back in '96 and I easily devolped a friendship with Mr. McNeil :eye:, since we both like some of the same music and we lived fairly close in NWI. We've kept in touch over the years and hang out once in awhile, so naturally I'm going to be very interested in his show and probably have somewhat of a bias towards his shows. SO BE IT, JEDI.

I think that it's easy for people to naturally gravitate towards Mac because he is a fun guy and let's face it, we all need a little fun in our lives away from the daily grind of our ho-hum regular lives. Mac & Spiegs provide that for us...and most of the other shows do as well.

I personally don't understand the mis-guided hatred that spews out of some people's brains here on the board. I think constructive criticism is great and all, but some of it borders on psychopathic jealousy. Hide your bunny rabbits everybody. :wink:

Excellent post Eaglo Jeff - spot on.

I guess that's my one.......OR NOT!!!??

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:01 pm 

no, spaulding... not doing it for my enjoyment. i know some listeners like guests. i know many who find a high percentage of those interviews predictably dull

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:04 pm 

Mac wrote:
no, spaulding... not doing it for my enjoyment. i know some listeners like guests. i know many who find a high percentage of those interviews predictably dull

I guess it depends on WHO is being interviewed. I love listening to AJ Pierzynski (spelling?) even though I am a Cubs fan because he doesn't give the canned statements. He says what is on his mind like he is sitting at a bar.

As for some others that will just give the five minutes of cliches' and company lines, keep em.

Give me the guys that will say what's on their mind as opposed to the ones that will just keep their necks out of the noose anytime...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:05 pm 

Also, let the record show that I DID click on to the stream today for a bit to see how things are going. My observations:

*Still obsessed with replaying snippets of banter from the day before, with a couple of movie lines dubbed in, and laughing at yourselves about how funny that "take" was. REALLY?

*Didn't hear a single call taken, which I find BIZARRE in that the show that HATES their callers (for the most part) takes calls every day. I'm glad you addressed this, although your explanation was weak at best. As was noted, prior shows in your time slot had no problem getting calls.

*The already mentioned nicknamey stuff is still going on, and super annoying to me. The obsession with jersey numbers is also strange.

*Still unable to spit out the tagline of the station correctly ... which I actually enjoy.

*The update lady (Sayers) sounds like a robot to me..like she should be on the other end of the phone when you would call in for the exact time 20 years ago.

*General self-importance.

And, off topic, anyone else find John Kirk's love of the ENTER key interesting? I do, and it inspired the above bullet-pointed list ... with plenty of ENTER key goodness.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:08 pm 

Mac wrote:

Watch MITM. 15 minute interviews or longer. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:11 pm 

Harry Seaward wrote:
I'm sure this is a big part of your "success" in the business. But I've come back to this forum, from time to time over the past month or so, and have seen plenty of excellent observations/criticisms of you and/or your show - and your silence on those is amazing. You're quick to drop names of fanboys on the air. Hell, I've even heard you mention this site by name. But you come across as fairly disingenuous when you clearly read through a thread and selectively pick and choose things to comment on.

Mac wrote:

Harry - did you check out this thread where Mac responds directly to criticism?

Mac wrote:
That's a part of it, Vegas. Sox fans bashing Cubs fans... or the other way around.... "Why don't the Bears use the shotgun?" .... steroids. Seems like a lot of topics that mostly get the response of "keep it" are offered. And I haven't done a very good job of "directing" questions or debates. I need to do my.....

I think it's only fair to say that it appears that Mac uses this forum to help mold and create a show that the majority of his fans enjoy. Does he respond to every criticism valid or not? There is not enough time in anyone's day to do that, given the level of meathead-ism, both positive and negative, that exists on this board in regards to Mac.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:14 pm 

DegenerateDave wrote:
You are missing the point RPB.

The point is that all the haters say, "I'm done with this show", whichever show it may be - but have a much greater knowledge of the day to day show highlights than the ALS'rs of ANY show - not just Macs.

I was just wondering if Shirtless was going to truly not listen and not comment - I am betting against it.

Im not missing the point Dave. I understand it. I just dont know why you care if he listens or not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:15 pm 

Harry Seaward wrote:
And, off topic, anyone else find John Kirk's love of the ENTER key interesting? I do, and it inspired the above bullet-pointed list ... with plenty of ENTER key goodness.

Now if there were only a way to somehow merge John Kirk with SHARK, we'd have something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Spaulding wrote:
Mac wrote:

So are you doing this show for you or your listeners? What is not entertaining for you maybe entertaining for your audience. Count me in as part of the group that would like to hear from Cutler. If it's boring, fine, he is boring.

Me too.

Further, Mac isn't even factually accurate when he says Cutler isn't an interesting interview. He said some very interesting things with Mully and Hanley the other day. As B&B pointed out, Cutler believes he is responsible for the ascent of Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal. What they missed, though, was that Cutler took a huge shot at Kyle Orton when he described Ron Turner as the kind of coordinator who likes to throw downfield, but wasn't able to do so last year because "he was limited by his personnel." That, my friends, is Jay Cutler telling you that Kyle Orton sucks. That's good stuff--and the kind of interview that makes for radio that is vastly more interesting than the Jay Cutler maturity test or Matt Spiegel's flirtations with Kerry Sayers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Mac wrote:

This is an attitude that led to the demise of Mike North.

1) It's your show, but we are its consumers. I don't care if you don't want TO talk with him. Many folks care to hear what athletes have to say. Do some homework and make the interview funny and interesting for folks to listen to. It's your job. If you need some help, have your producers spend less time on bad show sound bites.

2) Perhaps what you find entertaining is not what the shows consumers find entertaining. There was something to the Saloon that is still working long after you left.

3) Tell Spiegel to challenge your self indulgent ass more often. People will accept your "you know better" attitude about radio as long as someone calls you out on it and exposes the BS like when you take a pass on say... Cutler, the most talked about athlete in this town in years.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:26 pm 

DegenerateDave wrote:

I think it's only fair to say that it appears that Mac uses this forum to help mold and create a show that the majority of his fans enjoy. .

So by mold and shape the show...are you referring to the post where he repeatedly told people to PTFB?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:30 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:

Me too.

Further, Mac isn't even factually accurate when he says Cutler isn't an interesting interview. He said some very interesting things with Mully and Hanley the other day. As B&B pointed out, Cutler believes he is responsible for the ascent of Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal. What they missed, though, was that Cutler took a huge shot at Kyle Orton when he described Ron Turner as the kind of coordinator who likes to throw downfield, but wasn't able to do so last year because "he was limited by his personnel." That, my friends, is Jay Cutler telling you that Kyle Orton sucks. That's good stuff--and the kind of interview that makes for radio that is vastly more interesting than the Jay Cutler maturity test or Matt Spiegel's flirtations with Kerry Sayers.

Good catch TM, for the Cutler rip on Ortman (whether he meant it or not). I heard that as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:34 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
DegenerateDave wrote:

I think it's only fair to say that it appears that Mac uses this forum to help mold and create a show that the majority of his fans enjoy. .

So by mold and shape the show...are you referring to the post where he repeatedly told people to PTFB?

RPB - you aren't going to agree with me, I am not going to agree with you. Let's agree to disagree and not beat the dead horse any further deal?

I could state examples of where Mac has attributed input from the Board in shaping show content but you would just reiterate your point of him saying PTFB so it's going to end up being a circle jerk anyway...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Mac wrote:

Well it certainly was not yesterday. I flipped to the Maturity Quiz immediately after the interview and it was not nearly as entertaining.
In fact you sounded pretty bored with it too.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:21 pm 

DegenerateDave wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
DegenerateDave wrote:

RPB - you aren't going to agree with me, I am not going to agree with you. Let's agree to disagree and not beat the dead horse any further deal?

I could state examples of where Mac has attributed input from the Board in shaping show content but you would just reiterate your point of him saying PTFB so it's going to end up being a circle jerk anyway...

Dave your misusing the term circle jerk as CSFMB lingo

A CSFMB circle jerk: When a pissing contest of board members devolves into friendly and mutual respectful.

Anyways I understand Mac has used the board before...but lately he seems extremely thin skinned.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Mac wrote:

Mac, if you've found interviews and guests to be boring with you, then it may have something to do with the interviewer. Now, I mean, when you were up the dial the two guys you were with asked just awful, lame questions. There is a way for the interviewer to bore the interviewee and it's boring for everyone.
I think Cutler can be very interesting if he is asked the right questions.
I mean, here he is, the new face of the Bears, in the middle of day one controversy... it's going to be interesting. I guess I don't understand why you would say that.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:31 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Mac wrote:

Mac, if you've found interviews and guests to be boring with you, then it may have something to do with the interviewer. Now, I mean, when you were up the dial the two guys you were with asked just awful, lame questions.

+1
I can only imagine the virtual blow job Cutler would get from Teinowicz

Harry: Jay...ive been watching the bears all my life...i have season tickets...the best qb ive ever seen is still Kordell Stewart...so how do you handle the excitement surrounding your arrival?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:08 pm 

DegenDave wrote:
Spaulding - thank you for conveying perfectly what I was trying to say.

This is not at all what comes across when you post. Your defense of him (just as odd as the criticisms) seems very personal even though I don't think you know him. You also seem to want things to be fair or nice but that's not life....I'm just saying. I think you are alright.

IB wrote:
People ripped into Darkside pretty good when he criticized him for going on vacation so early. That was pretty far from an anti-Mac diatribe.

The tone of Darkside's post (even thought he stated he did not mean it this way) was that of a nah nah nah boo boo I'm gonna listen to Waddle and Silvy. While I probably would tell people to piss off if I were in this situation I think it should be pointed out there is a very viable alternative.

Seaward wrote:
But you come across as fairly disingenuous when you clearly read through a thread and selectively pick and choose things to comment on.

That's stupid. He has obtained the information. He doesn't owe it to anybody to share his thoughts or answer questions he doesn't want to answer especially if those comments were made only to goad. That's like saying "I'm so important I deserve feedback on every comment I make."

Darkside, TM, and heaven help me I'm gonna be sick Seacrest have some valid points. I respect the fact that this is Mac's show and I've said I think he is capable of making this show a successful one but I don't understand some of this resistance and stubborness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next