It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:29 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I'd like to hear Plesac on more...despite engineering the Big Blue Train, sac knows his ball.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's on 95th and California. It is better than your favorite Pizza.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I'd like to hear Plesac on more...despite engineering the Big Blue Train, sac knows his ball.

Yeah...we're still in preseason. Thayer will definitely be a big part of the show, even if it's not "set in stone" every week. Hub as well. Truth be told, sometimes Plesac is hard to pin down. Great guy...willing guest...just hard to pin down.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Jay Zawaski wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Yeah...we're still in preseason. Thayer will definitely be a big part of the show, even if it's not "set in stone" every week. Hub as well. Truth be told, sometimes Plesac is hard to pin down. Great guy...willing guest...just hard to pin down.

Kinky ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:09 pm 

Beef Rockmore wrote:
What about Thayer or his Peter Brady sounding partner for the Bears? ...OR HUB as a weekly contributor? Hub is great now that he's not kissing the Bears organization's ass. Much better than the stuttering HOFer.
I'm sure you'll 'get it right' over time Jay. I'm nothing if not patient.

Peter Brady?! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Kishin Shinoyama wrote:
Beef Rockmore wrote:
What about Thayer or his Peter Brady sounding partner for the Bears? ...OR HUB as a weekly contributor? Hub is great now that he's not kissing the Bears organization's ass. Much better than the stuttering HOFer.

You mean Bears' radio voice Jeff Joniak or do you mean Christopher Knight, who played "Peter Brady" on "The Brady Bunch" and thinks he's the next Wink Martindale hosting "Trivial Pursuit: America Plays" weekdays on FOX's MY50 at 3p? :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Jay Zawaski wrote:
We're all starting to feel each other

Jay Z

The boyquarium days are back. No wonder all the man rub talk has started.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Nancy's
Jay Zawaski wrote:
Beef Rockmore wrote:
Jim Miller each Monday is a start. Thank you.

See beef, we're getting there. I will tell you one thing about all 4 of our philosophies. We don't want guests for guests sake. You'll never hear Aramis Ramirez on a bad cell phone talking about one game at a time. We want, in Mac's words, warmth. We want guys who want to be on with us, and who can add things.

We don't have a weekly baseball guest because many valuable guests had been snagged up by the time our show started 7/15. We've done, IMO, a good job of throwing on Plesac, Len Kasper, Bob Brenly, Ed Farmer or Hawk. I know they aren't HARD to book, but they always come with something. I guarantee you'll learn more every week from Jim Miller than you would from Matt Forte. Make sense? The NAME doesn't usually make a great interview.

Jay...why won't you guys take phone calls on the Mac show?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

SHARK wrote:
Kishin Shinoyama wrote:
Beef Rockmore wrote:

You mean Bears' radio voice Jeff Joniak or do you mean Christopher Knight, who played "Peter Brady" on "The Brady Bunch" and thinks he's the next Wink Martindale hosting "Trivial Pursuit: America Plays" weekdays on FOX's MY50 at 3p? :?

I meant Joniak sounds like Peter Brady when he's singing "Time for Change" while going through puberty.

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's on 95th and California. It is better than your favorite Pizza.
670 wrote:
Jay Zawaski wrote:
Beef Rockmore wrote:
Jim Miller each Monday is a start. Thank you.

See beef, we're getting there. I will tell you one thing about all 4 of our philosophies. We don't want guests for guests sake. You'll never hear Aramis Ramirez on a bad cell phone talking about one game at a time. We want, in Mac's words, warmth. We want guys who want to be on with us, and who can add things.

We don't have a weekly baseball guest because many valuable guests had been snagged up by the time our show started 7/15. We've done, IMO, a good job of throwing on Plesac, Len Kasper, Bob Brenly, Ed Farmer or Hawk. I know they aren't HARD to book, but they always come with something. I guarantee you'll learn more every week from Jim Miller than you would from Matt Forte. Make sense? The NAME doesn't usually make a great interview.

Jay...why won't you guys take phone calls on the Mac show?

We take the good calls. I find myself usually turning away 2/3 for sheer stupidity. Also, I think our time slot has a lot of people at work, listening at their desks. The volume of calls is not what it was on the Saloon, or even Murph, who would lure the lunch crowd with his "pick a lane", "rifleman", etc bits...all of which were the exact same, repackaged, for the sole purpose of generating phone reaction. That was his top goal every day. Fill the phones. We don't "spoon feed" phone topics. It's two guys talking sports, spraying to all fields. If you feel inclined, call. You're not going to hear a "who's your favorite Cub/Sox player?" If that's what you're looking for, it's out there...but not on this show. Lots of callers does not a good show make.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:05 pm 

If less calls means less morons, I am all for it.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Marinos-EGV
Jay Zawaski wrote:
In defense of Dave Miska and myself, our show has been on for 2 months. Boers and Bernstein have been together for 8 years. They have grown as a show in every way. They have a brotherly relationship with Matt and Jason. I've KNOWN Mac and Dave for 2 months and a week. As my comfort level with them grows, I will be a bigger part of the show on air wise. I'm getting to know the guys, and learn Mac's style. Remember, I've been Murph's producer for the last 3 years, when the only "on air" talking I was allowed to contribute was based on Murph's script. I only added a BIT of hockey talk, when it steered the way Murph wanted. There's an adjustment. I'm sure if any of you have started a new job, you don't walk in and start busting the balls of co-workers. Trust me, it will get better. We're all starting to feel each other (then we'll learn our show styles when we're done). Thanks as always for listening. We all appreciate every bit of input we get.

Jay Z

I guess I'm confused by a producers role. I thought you were there to book guests and keep the show moving along in a general direction. Timing out breaks, commercial reads, etc. I dont know that anyone on here is clamoring for a bunch of on air commentary out of the production staff. If that were the case, I would think you would have been paid to be "on air" and not behind the glass. I guess the rule to me would be, speak if asked for your comment, if not book some entertaining guests. As Beef said, I like the addition of Jim Miller, he does a really nice job covering the entire NFL on Sirius NFL Radio. I would think some columnists, beat writers, play by play announcers and color guys would be happy to come on and talk about their teams as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:22 am 

Jay Zawaski wrote:

Jay Z

heh.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:24 am 

Jay Zawaski wrote:
I got 99 Show Ideas more callers aint one
Jay Z

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:56 am 

EG Greg wrote:
Beef Rockmore wrote:
'Around the Conference' was one of my favorite segments from the old Heavy Fuel Crew Show. They'd go around the horn from Minnesota, to Green Bay to Detroit (not sure about Tampa) - to get the lowdown on the feelings on those city's respective teams.

Just say NO to Frank Caliendo too please.

They could easily do an around the conference every week and then pick up two writers or media guys from the team they are playing that week. In addition throw in one guy from a team they dont play this season for a rundown of whats going on with the Jacksonville Jaguars this year.

My suggestion would be as follows for week 1 (@ Green Bay) of the NFL season:

Mon-Brad Biggs on what to expect this weekend and a wrap to the previous day's games
Tues-Packers beat guy and Dolphins (team the Bears dont play this year) announcer
Wed-Vikings beat guy
Thurs-Lions beat guy
Fri-Bob LeGere (or another local Bears guy) and the Packers color analyst

In doing this you can expand on Beef Rockmore's idea to know the ins and outs of the division and on a more national scale learn about the teams that are maybe not seen and heard as much in an NFC North town.

I know many will say that will make the weeks football intensive, but as long as baseball is still being played you are only committed to one or at the most two segments a day on football talk. I think we all know its a Bears town anyway so the majority will be into it.

I luuuuvvvv Victor Chi.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
rogers park bryan wrote:
Jay Zawaski wrote:
I got 99 Show Ideas more callers aint one
Jay Z

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Al's in North Riverside. Help me find one on the NW side. I've found good, not great.
EG Greg wrote:
I guess I'm confused by a producers role. I thought you were there to book guests and keep the show moving along in a general direction. Timing out breaks, commercial reads, etc. I dont know that anyone on here is clamoring for a bunch of on air commentary out of the production staff. If that were the case, I would think you would have been paid to be "on air" and not behind the glass. I guess the rule to me would be, speak if asked for your comment, if not book some entertaining guests. As Beef said, I like the addition of Jim Miller, he does a really nice job covering the entire NFL on Sirius NFL Radio. I would think some columnists, beat writers, play by play announcers and color guys would be happy to come on and talk about their teams as well.

Part of our job is to book guests, and keep the show moving. We're also here because of knowledge we have, be it sports, rock and roll, or whatever else the subject is. Jay is very savvy when it comes to the NHL, for instance. Is he supposed to write a cue card for Mac and Spiegs when he's the one who can explain it the best??? What about follow up questions??

As far as other guests, they are coming. If there is an informative and engaging expert or player, we are going to book them. Putting every Tom, Dick and Athlete on is not always a good move. Not all people are compelling interviews. (Before you tell me I'm boring and stupid, I don't have a show, nor do I think I should have one.) I'm not going to put somebody on just to move meters.

This is still a very new show that is finding its way. We are building relationships every day. We're working hard to entertain every day, that's a fact.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Jay Zawaski wrote:
We take the good calls. I find myself usually turning away 2/3 for sheer stupidity. Also, I think our time slot has a lot of people at work, listening at their desks. The volume of calls is not what it was on the Saloon, or even Murph, who would lure the lunch crowd with his "pick a lane", "rifleman", etc bits...all of which were the exact same, repackaged, for the sole purpose of generating phone reaction. That was his top goal every day. Fill the phones. We don't "spoon feed" phone topics. It's two guys talking sports, spraying to all fields. If you feel inclined, call. You're not going to hear a "who's your favorite Cub/Sox player?" If that's what you're looking for, it's out there...but not on this show. Lots of callers does not a good show make.

And a hearty 'thank you' for stating all of that. I have a sneaking suspiscion the majority of your sentiments are better received than one might otherwise think from reading this board.

It's nice that it's not like, say, B&B - which I do love (let the record show). Mac&Meat feels more like a finely-tuned process (or, one might argue, will be eventually), while B&B feels more like a loose collection of consequence ... that is to say, MM seems to have a purpose the minute it goes on the air, while B&B just go where the wind wills. Both are great, in their own way.