It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:56 pm 

Quite happy that my post took off.
I'd just add that the content of the show is not necessarily bad. They get some good guests and mac has some solid football insights, but it's the MIMICKED PACE OF SPEAKING that makes it hard for me to listen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:27 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Harry Seaward wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
I NEVER listened to Mac on MVP. That may be why I like him now. It sounds fresh to me.
Everybody is a critic though. I have respect for those who try it,it can't be easy talking for 4/5 hours 5 days a week.

I NEVER listened to him on WMVP either, and I don't like him now (did like him back in the HFC days) and it does not sound fresh to me. I really don't respect a guy who has been in the "biz" for as many years as he has, and can't figure out a way to do an entertaining show. Again, his obsession with himself is really similar to Mr. North (at least for me).

There is no doubt that you reach a saturation point when listening/viewing something quite a bit ... the problem here is that no matter how much time I take off from trying to listen to this show, it still sounds bad to me. Perhaps it's the formulaic local sports radio show sound (f'd out bumper music, song parodies, extended dips into their personal lives as if the ENTIRE audience is dying to know what they're up to "off the air", etc). Maybe Dan, like North, was just in the right place at the right time when the Score fired up and is simply unable to evolve his show and resorts to worn out bits/production qualities because that's what he thinks works?

Again, I don't have the answer but after a few months on the air together it simply sounds like these two "radio pros" really have no idea what makes for good radio and I'm no longer interested in trying to hang in there with them. And, call me dramatic if you'd like, but the guy who spends so much time groping his fanbase ALSO telling them to PTFB (when they don't like what they hear) simply rubs me the wrong way.

With that, I'll only be clicking back in this form to see how Dan tries to explain away the next ratings book/trend when he and his wonderful partner once again get their asses handed to them.

That's funny. I always thought Mike North really didn't delve into his personal life in regards to how well off he is at least. Dan likes to remind everyone that he is living the good life: steaks,expensive cigars,big home,nice car. If you listen long enough it WILL get mentioned. I try to listen often but not always possible with work. Today's BS with Hendry seemed overplayed,but I like the show overall. I think Mac suffers from "small man's syndrome". That may be the reason he feels he has to throw his success in the listeners face.
Or maybe,I'm just an asshole! That is possible,too. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
jimmypasta wrote:
That's funny. I always thought Mike North really didn't delve into his personal life in regards to how well off he is at least. Dan likes to remind everyone that he is living the good life: steaks,expensive cigars,big home,nice car. If you listen long enough it WILL get mentioned. I try to listen often but not always possible with work. Today's BS with Hendry seemed overplayed,but I like the show overall. I think Mac suffers from "small man's syndrome". That may be the reason he feels he has to throw his success in the listeners face.
Or maybe,I'm just an asshole! That is possible,too. What do you guys think?

I think you have accurately identified a large reason why DaMaNa has never, and will never, be a good listen for me. Very well-stated.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: None
I think the guys are trying way too hard: Mac's trying too hard to be the "everyman," full of outdated pop-culture references and meatballish sentiments that he thinks will bring in big numbers with the 9-1 crowd; and Meatpants is trying too hard to be the "knowledgeable" co-host, full of Mac-lite models of bickering and desperately shoe-horned bits of irrelevant sports info that he thinks will impress his co-host and listeners.

If Mac would simply be himself, good and bad, and let up on all the unnecessary populism he knows is below him, I'd imagine he'd me a much easier listen. And if Meatpants would simply be himself, and let up on the desperate need for approval that he should know is beneath him, then I'd imagine we'd all be happier listeners.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Fixed Glee wrote:
I think the guys are trying way too hard: Mac's trying too hard to be the "everyman," full of outdated pop-culture references and meatballish sentiments that he thinks will bring in big numbers with the 9-1 crowd; and Meatpants is trying too hard to be the "knowledgeable" co-host, full of Mac-lite models of bickering and desperately shoe-horned bits of irrelevant sports info that he thinks will impress his co-host and listeners.

If Mac would simply be himself, good and bad, and let up on all the unnecessary populism he knows is below him, I'd imagine he'd me a much easier listen. And if Meatpants would simply be himself, and let up on the desperate need for approval that he should know is beneath him, then I'd imagine we'd all be happier listeners.

I think you've got it completely backwards. This is who Mackeyfish is. He thinks that the 70's references, song parodies, and same old tired jokes are hip and funny.

If he could put his douchebaggedness aside and act like a normal guy it would definitely improve.

The other thing is it would be nice to get some original thought that I didn't already read in the paper. It would be nice if he actually did a little bit of "work". He sounds like he thinks he can read the Sun Times and blow in and do a show. Heaven forbid that any sort of planning is involved because someone might actually have a point that disagrees with him. Have an original point. Tell us something that we don't already know. Even Murph did that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:29 am 

I wanted to add that I agree about him continually rubbing his chest about his house/friends/belongings/trips etc. If you fail to see that this was a BIG THING for North, as well, you're high.

I was not able to view the game last night, so I clicked on the stream to see what was being said ... sure enough, there's Dan talking about his fantasy football draft in his basement. The people there. The big spread of food. The group picture taken etc. GREAT radio. That is why 100% of people tune into this show ... or, maybe they're not tuning into this show.

I also wanted to mention that Dan's obsession with the "Instant Classic" discussion is just brutal. Add their self-love for their own tired discussions to their self-glossed "awesomeness" for those HILARIOUS parody songs, well you have quite a show.

Dan McNeil, for that you suck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
More sod father talk :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:51 pm 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
He sounds like he thinks he can read the Sun Times and blow in and do a show.

"Hey, dat wuz what I did fer show prep and look how good my show wuz! Ya doesn't need tuh do more den dat!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

74 POSTS ON WHY YOU GUYS CAN'T LISTEN! :lol: Keep'em coming you lemmings.

Well someone is listening. The Cubs and White Sox suck and you dopes are still going and still watching. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:37 pm 

Caught about 5 minutes of talking about the fantasy draft at Mac's house (with YET ANOTHER reference to ESPN and the staff there) and how Kerry might not want to participate in one since, its you know, guys.

Good God Mac, you're far more smarter than that. Do you really think this is good radio? It's a train wreck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Allegro con Pizza
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
If he could put his douchebaggedness aside there would be nothing left of him

Fixed. :salut:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:18 am 
1000 CLUB

Frontman wrote:
Caught about 5 minutes of talking about the fantasy draft at Mac's house (with YET ANOTHER reference to ESPN and the staff there) and how Kerry might not want to participate in one since, its you know, guys.

Good God Mac, you're far more smarter than that. Do you really think this is good radio? It's a train wreck.

So the 5 minutes you caught ruined a 4 hour show??? So Burhle gives up two runs in the 4th inning and wins the game 8 to 2 and goes the distance and you walk out of the game and tell you're buddies "The game really sucked as I can't believe Mark gave up those two runs in the 4th"?

Fucking dumbest people post in this section. You would think the B&B sections would get more of the assclowns but not here. See how many posts the Saloon gets, the Great Silvy and Waddle section . You guys love the attention here or you must like the show.
For the record....... Jurko was at Mac's house so he's not supposed to say the guys name , who fucking cares already you crying fucking bitches already ...Hang out in the Elmhurst Steve thread and stroke his ego some more .. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
This thread reminds me of a poker game I played in.

I brewed my own batch of beer a week before and had 72 bottles of 36 ouncers in my fridges so I brought 8 bottles to the game.

This one guy had a bottle and complained how bad it was, by the end of the night he downed 4 bottles by himself! lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:10 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
The fact that people are listening hardly indicates that the show is good, if that's what you're suggesting. People will listen to a bad sports talk show just because they like sports and want to hear them discussed, much in the same way people will drink bad beer just to get a buzz.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Tall Midget wrote:
The fact that people are listening hardly indicates that the show is good, if that's what you're suggesting. People will listen to a bad sports talk show just because they like sports and want to hear them discussed, much in the same way people will drink bad beer just to get a buzz.

Wow, a three line post, no words over twelve letters, if I didn't know any better, I would say you're mailing it in Midget... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:24 pm 

STU-GOTZ wrote:
Frontman wrote:

So the 5 minutes you caught ruined a 4 hour show??? So Burhle gives up two runs in the 4th inning and wins the game 8 to 2 and goes the distance and you walk out of the game and tell you're buddies "The game really sucked as I can't believe Mark gave up those two runs in the 4th"?

Fucking dumbest people post in this section. You would think the B&B sections would get more of the assclowns but not here. See how many posts the Saloon gets, the Great Silvy and Waddle section . You guys love the attention here or you must like the show.
For the record....... Jurko was at Mac's house so he's not supposed to say the guys name , who fucking cares already you crying fucking bitches already ...Hang out in the Elmhurst Steve thread and stroke his ego some more .. :cry:

The 5 minutes illustrates what is wrong with this show; because a month ago I said the same thing that is wrong with the show: The show has zero direction and nobody, not the on-air talent, not the 4 headed producer, NOBODY is driving the show in any direction. Mac wants it to sound like Frat house crosstalk? You got it. But beyond that? It's not entertaining. Might be entertaining to those IN the conversation; but it sure as hell isn't entertaining to listen to.

Here's what I learned in that 5 minutes:

Mac can't let go of Jurko.
Speigs thinks he's doing stand up.
The two of them try to make a point.
Someone (this time Kerry) states that their point is pretty mundane or that its the obvious.
Show drifts into music talk/parody song.
Mac/Speigs goes to try and make another point; other host still is stuck on music discussion.
Break

Repeat the above for 4 hours.

I've all but given up on this show; because when Silvy/Waddle is on break, I flip over; and I catch the same 5 minute formula I heard before. To brag about not getting guests, to tout that you don't want the random caller, to laugh and giggle then shout over your radio partner?

I'll deal with Silvy's love of Erin Andrews any day of the week; over Mac's over-abundant use of "lighting the Kingsfords." (Seriously, besides Mac; do you know a single individual who doesn't refer to BBQ/Grilling as BBQ/Grilling?!?!?!)

As far as being 'Fucking dumbest' I won't even get into it with you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think you are right. The appeal of this current Mac show is very limited. I'd find it hard to believe it is attracting many new listeners and I think it is losing old MJH listeners.

The show is all about him and frankly, Mac isn't that interesting and neither are his tastes in music and subject matter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
I think slotting one potentially strong show versus another is not the best idea. The premise of two excellent shows, by the sheer force of their excellence, doubling the audience of a time slot and giving both shows (or one show) sufficient ratings strikes me as just sheer bullshit.

B&Bs ratings are... what? Since they were sicced on MJH and later CJH? Which isn't to say that you don't let shows grow slowly. SilvWaddle grew slowly, and look at them now.

I think, anyone thinking the new show would be another MJH are ultimately confused. That show was a curious mix of personalities. Meatpants isn't Jurko nor Harry, and I believe the slower route's going to have to be taken. I hope we get some gelling as football season progresses, and we'll all see how listenable (or not) the show is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:16 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
I'm sure lots of hosts would prefer that; winter is brutal for sportstalk. See the Bulls doing something interesting this year? Or doing something controversial?

Let's see, four pages of free Market analysis, Dan-Ma-Nahl. Maybe worth what you pay for it, maybe not

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:19 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
As one of the board's most avid mediocrity fetishists, I gave Meatpants and the Meatball another listen today.

It's more like Meathead and Meatpants.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:48 pm 

So let me get this straight,guys on this board don't like Mac because of his sports acumen or is it his obscure movie/music references or is it his bragging?

Seriously, I want to know the main reason. I have listened to Mac since the days of Chet Coppock. I stopped when he moved to MVP. I like his show but I do hear what others have heard. The thing that bothers me (when he does it) as I stated before,is throwing "his toys" in our face. He has made 6 figures for a time now and enjoys the finer things...WE GET IT! Other then that, (and the fact I don't like Led Zeppelin),I like his show.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
jimmypasta wrote:
So let me get this straight,guys on this board don't like Mac because of his sports acumen or is it his obscure movie/music references or is it his bragging?

Seriously, I want to know the main reason. I have listened to Mac since the days of Chet Coppock. I stopped when he moved to MVP. I like his show but I do hear what others have heard. The thing that bothers me (when he does it) as I stated before,is throwing "his toys" in our face. He has made 6 figures for a time now and enjoys the finer things...WE GET IT! Other then that, (and the fact I don't like Led Zeppelin),I like his show.

Jimmy, now, that's just fucking wrong. What's the hell kind of subversive are you?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:12 pm 

I enjoy KISS. Go ahead & laugh,but big fan of their music.
Also Beatles,Def Leppard,Foriegner, & especially

PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
jimmypasta wrote:
I enjoy KISS. Go ahead & laugh,but big fan of their music.
Also Beatles,Def Leppard,Foriegner, & especially

PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS:

I would bet at least 20% of the above picture enjoy taking it up the chute.
That's far larger than the national average, but keep in mind, it's a small sample size.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:56 pm 

Hey,It's gay to wear the uniform of America's first freedom fighters??
You commy bastards. You don't like it here,go back to Indiana!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:21 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
.......much in the same way people will drink bad beer just to get a buzz.

Wha? Who??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:52 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
Hey,It's gay to wear the uniform of America's first freedom fighters??
You commy bastards. You don't like it here,go back to Indiana!

I dont think they wore velvet uniforms in turqoise and yellow. If so they would have shot themselves and we would all be speaking the Queens English right now.

the victory cry of low achievers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:08 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Mr. Reason wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
(and the fact I don't like Led Zeppelin)

Jimmy, now, that's just fucking wrong. What's the hell kind of subversive are you?

Good call sir. That is flat out Blasphemy.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:37 pm 

As much vitriol as this show and B&B spawn in this forum, it seems odd that for the most part, they're the only shows with a lot of recent action. Is that because of the holiday weekend? And BF--does this suggest that the anti-Mac & Meat segment of JohnKirk/Scorehead/670, WWN, the anti B&B crew, and the rest of the critics section are the most prolific posters left? So far that doesn't seem like a good thing for the board, at least not long-term.

It's hardly worth dropping in while avoiding work during the day anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

hawkeyecheesehead wrote:
As much vitriol as this show and B&B spawn in this forum, it seems odd that for the most part, they're the only shows with a lot of recent action. Is that because of the holiday weekend? And BF--does this suggest that the anti-Mac & Meat segment of JohnKirk/Scorehead/670, WWN, the anti B&B crew, and the rest of the critics section are the most prolific posters left? So far that doesn't seem like a good thing for the board, at least not long-term.

It's hardly worth dropping in while avoiding work during the day anymore.

Agreed and very insightful post. This thread and B&B seemingly are the only two shows people have a thought on as the Saloon have fallen off this board for a couple of reasons and either nothing interesting is being said and or no one is listening and I think the latter is the case and the same can be said for Silvy and Waddle although I still find their show a good listen but it's few and far between that I do turn them on as Im tuned to Mac and Pants. You would think a show as good as S&W would have folks buzzing about it in that section but the attention seems to be here most days.

So which is it , the other shows don't garner the attention that the other two here do and people just don't have a thought or insight on what Jurko , Harry, Carm have to say or what Waddle and Sillvy say or is everyone listening to Mac and B&B

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next