It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: August Ratings
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:02 am 
1000 CLUB

NearWessSideHussra wrote:
August was likely the high water mark for WSCR's 10 am to 3 pm ratings for 2K9--after Perfect Buehrle, the Peavy and Rios trades, interest picked up in White Sox baseball. That's going away, one way or the other. And then the Bulls season starts in a month or so and instead of leaving their radios tuned to WSCR to catch the White Sox games and commentary, sports fans will be up at WMVP to keep up with Jan(n)ero Pargo and his Chicago Bulls.

Very doubtful as I was a Bulls season ticket holder 13 years ago and they called me on Tuesday asking if I'd like to come back and purchase season tickets . Derick Rose needs a supporting cast and untill then I'll wait.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
THE WIND SOCK wrote:

Very doubtful as I was a Bulls season ticket holder 13 years ago and they called me on Tuesday asking if I'd like to come back and purchase season tickets . Derick Rose needs a supporting cast and untill then I'll wait.

Did you miss the "Jan(n)ero Pargo" part? This...this is a GREAT roster**:

NO. NAME POS AGE HT WT COLLEGE 2009 - 2010 SALARY
9 Luol Deng SF 24 6-9 220 Duke $10,365,000
22 Taj Gibson F 24 6-9 225 USC $1,039,800
12 Kirk Hinrich G 28 6-3 190 Kansas $9,500,000
11 Lindsey Hunter SG 38 6-2 195 Jackson State $825,497
31 Jerome James C 33 7-1 285 Florida A&M $6,600,000
16 James Johnson F 22 6-9 245 Wake Forest $1,594,080
52 Brad Miller C 33 7-0 261 Purdue $12,250,000
13 Joakim Noah C 24 6-11 232 Florida $2,455,680
2 Jannero Pargo PG 29 6-1 185 Arkansas $1,990,000
1 Derrick Rose PG 20 6-3 190 Memphis $5,184,480
15 John Salmons SF 29 6-6 207 Miami (FL) $6,429,150
24 Tyrus Thomas PF 23 6-9 215 LSU $4,743,598

**For a European team.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: ***
Are midday Sox games good or bad for ratings? I'm not implying anything one way or another, I genuinely don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Irish Boy wrote:
Are midday Sox games good or bad for ratings? I'm not implying anything one way or another, I genuinely don't know.

Do they count on-line listeners? If so, the amount of listeners who can't listen on line coupled with the casual listener who turns his radio on for the game probably offset eachother.

I know that since I'm at work, I have to find an alternative when an afternoon game comes on the Score....unless I want to listen to the two douchebags who do their version of a radio show on Sporting News.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Irish Boy wrote:

I know for a while, they were bad for sales.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Keep pulling at straws, Hussra!

Since Mac's show hit the air, there have been 7 afternoon Sox games (8 if you count Labor Day). I guess those 7 day really swing the ratings up! :roll:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

It's amazing what a week up at cottage will do for the show's ratings. ;)

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:16 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

Sox games add to the cume, or the overall amount of listeners that turn on WSCR.

Do they count on-line listeners? If so, the amount of listeners who can't listen on line coupled with the casual listener who turns his radio on for the game probably offset eachother.

On line listeners are not counted in the Arbitron ratings.

I know that since I'm at work, I have to find an alternative when an afternoon game comes on the Score....unless I want to listen to the two douchebags who do their version of a radio show on Sporting News.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

The most laughable part of these ratings is the focus on men age 25-54. Most men age 55 and older have more money and disposable income than they have ever had in their lives. And they sure as hell are every bit as passionate about sports as younger guys. Many businesses understand they are much more desirable as a demographic than kids in their 20s and 30s who have far less disposable income. But the old, outdated notions about people in their 20s and 30s consuming more, and building long-term listening habits still drives this kind of idiotic radio decision making. If these radio shows also worried about the 55-65 male demo, they would be much more appealing to many advertisers. Many businesses that target men do understand the value to advertisers of men over age 54. But not the genius minds that run sports radio.

So guys over age 54 don't matter don't matter to Mac and the other radio people who cite the importance of this 25-54 demo? Since we are irrelevant to them, are we supposed to take our ears and our money to spend on other programs and advertisers who do care about us? It will be interesting to see how much Mac continues to focus on the under 54 demo in a few years when he reaches that age. Telling part of your audience that they are irrelevant is certainly an interesting business practice...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
So you're not into vasectomies, male enhancement products, and strip clubs?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:19 pm 

Coast2Coast wrote:
The most laughable part of these ratings is the focus on men age 25-54. Most men age 55 and older have more money and disposable income than they have ever had in their lives. And they sure as hell are every bit as passionate about sports as younger guys. Many businesses understand they are much more desirable as a demographic than kids in their 20s and 30s who have far less disposable income. But the old, outdated notions about people in their 20s and 30s consuming more, and building long-term listening habits still drives this kind of idiotic radio decision making. If these radio shows also worried about the 55-65 male demo, they would be much more appealing to many advertisers. Many businesses that target men do understand the value to advertisers of men over age 54. But not the genius minds that run sports radio.

So guys over age 54 don't matter don't matter to Mac and the other radio people who cite the importance of this 25-54 demo? Since we are irrelevant to them, are we supposed to take our ears and our money to spend on other programs and advertisers who do care about us? It will be interesting to see how much Mac continues to focus on the under 54 demo in a few years when he reaches that age. Telling part of your audience that they are irrelevant is certainly an interesting business practice...

I've never understood the logic of that either. I could understand a high-end cutoff where most people end up on fixed incomes/pensions/social security and don't have much disposable income, but 55 seems much too low. 70 perhaps?

But from a "best show/most popular show possible" perspective, a 16 year old teenage girls ears should be just as valuable as a 32 year old male or a 79 year old male. Maybe you don't target each equally, but none is inherently "better" than another.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Marinos-EGV
Irish Boy wrote:

But from a "best show/most popular show possible" perspective, a 16 year old teenage girls ears should be just as valuable as a 32 year old male or a 79 year old male. Maybe you don't target each equally, but none is inherently "better" than another.

Agreed, but at the end of the day it's still a business. You can't sell to advertisers that the Danny Mac Show is the best show on radio, but rated 15th in his day part. (I dont know what you are rated Mac, I am just making up a number) My response and any rational persons would be, well thats great, but how does that get my product out to more people. Thats why ratings rule the world in radio and tv. You would much rather have a show flush with 25-54 or 65 (for coast) than the 12-18 demo, who most likely will not be buying a new car at Schaumburg Acura.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:24 pm 

EG Greg wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

Agreed, but at the end of the day it's still a business. You can't sell to advertisers that the Danny Mac Show is the best show on radio, but rated 15th in his day part. (I dont know what you are rated Mac, I am just making up a number) My response and any rational persons would be, well thats great, but how does that get my product out to more people. Thats why ratings rule the world in radio and tv. You would much rather have a show flush with 25-54 or 65 (for coast) than the 12-18 demo, who most likely will not be buying a new car at Schaumburg Acura.

Sure, I agree with all that. I guess all I mean is that (not apropos of the Mac show) if I had the highest rated show with 25-54 men, but my competition was higher rated overall, I wouldn't brag amongst laypeople that really, I'm more popular overall- although I would push it to advertisers, of course.

Coast's point was more narrow, but I agree there as well, that the 54 cutoff is arbitrary and kind of stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:13 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Keep pulling at straws, Hussra!

Since Mac's show hit the air, there have been 7 afternoon Sox games (8 if you count Labor Day). I guess those 7 day really swing the ratings up! :roll:

Actually, I'd imagine night games swing more listeners either to WSCR (for white sox games) and then back to WMVP (for Bulls games). People listening to the game in their car or at work (if they work nights) etc are far more likely to listen to whatever station they were listening to the night/day before.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:15 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

You do realize the average daily visitor tally for 670thescore.com is around 6,000.

6,000 hits to the web site ain't squat in the ratings.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:18 pm 

The general point here is that there are people listening to WSCR during baseball season who likely PTFB sometime in October and then don't return to WSCR until April. Same goes for WMVP and their Bulls broadcasts after April/May/June (whenever Jannero Pargo's Bulls get eliminated).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Hosts don't win ratings books. Radio stations win ratings books.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Hosts don't win ratings books. Radio stations win ratings books.

Remember when Bernstein did that show with a head cold? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:54 pm 

Exclamation Moint wrote:
If anything, I think the Score's target demo has changed to more like 35-70. I know the ratings aren't figured that way, and therefore the ad dollars don't follow that model.

I don't think that many under 35 listen to sports radio. It's an older and contracting niche, unless there's some data to show otherwise. Probably a dying format. Just my half-baked theory. Mid-career professional males and retirees seem like the audience. Does a 20-yr-old in '09 get into the Score like they might have 20 years ago? I strongly doubt it. There's so much more to do than back then. Where will the new listeners come from?

Jurko's working on a 15 minute show focused on video games to complement his hour NASCAR show.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

Spaulding wrote:

No, Spaulding. I want my sports radio to carry ads for adult diapers. And top shelf single malt scotch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Coast2Coast wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

No, Spaulding. I want my sports radio to carry ads for adult diapers. And top shelf single malt scotch.

hey,now you got my attention! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

Jimmy, what is your brand preference: "Depends" or "Oops I crapped my pants"?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/10308/saturda ... d-my-pants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Exclamation Moint wrote:
Jurko's working on a 15 minute show focused on video games to complement his hour NASCAR show.

I'd love to listen to a show on the radio about video games. Theater of the mind.

The Me and Z show used to use a lot of video game drops IIRC

http://niggastolemybike.ytmnd.com/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Exclamation Moint wrote:

I'd love to listen to a show on the radio about video games. Theater of the mind.

So would I...it would be awesome...it would...wait, I think you're being sarcastic...

Sad face