It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mac on Steroids
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Mac says he wants steroid users in sports and that if he were a professional athlete he'd do steroids/hgh "for his family." He says sports are just entertainment, and he doesn't care what the athletes do to provide said entertainment.

But if you 'roid up all you can during a short sports career and wither away and die by the time you're 45, if in fact you go down just by yourself, are you really helping your family?

Post subject: Re: Mac on Steroids
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Sounds like Mac is getting desperate.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Boy he's cutting edge isn't he?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
This is right in line with his "I'd do anything to get a story" argument a few months ago. Just my opinion, but that is a terrible way to look at things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:00 pm 

There is not a single person here that wouldn't put a needle in themselves in a contract year to make your children, grandchildren, and maybe even great grandchildren financially stable for their entire lives. The motivation would be even greater if you came from a poor background.

It isn't likely that you will die at 45 either from steroids. They have negative side effects and overuse can lead to major problems but some medical professionals believe that HGH may become a common therapy eventually for the extension of peoples lives. The science just isn't there yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:04 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
There is not a single person here that wouldn't put a needle in themselves in a contract year to make your children, grandchildren, and maybe even great grandchildren financially stable for their entire lives. The motivation would be even greater if you came from a poor background.

It isn't likely that you will die at 45 either from steroids. They have negative side effects and overuse can lead to major problems but some medical professionals believe that HGH may become a common therapy eventually for the extension of peoples lives. The science just isn't there yet.

Anyone concerned for their family long term wouldn't do something that stupid and shortsighted unless they were uneducated or generally irresponsible. In which case, they'd not be doing it for their family per se, but for themselves under the subterfuge of doing it for the family.
However, Mac is just saying stupid shit like this to get some buzz about the show. it's a hail Mary.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I understan your point, but the assumption that everyone follows your line of thinking is over the top. There are many different people here with their own views on life. While it may be likely that a good portion of people would do this, it is very presumptuous to say everyone would.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:10 pm 

This is almost as interesting as a discussion about the career and broadcasting stylings of Chip Caray

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:11 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Anyone concerned for their family long term wouldn't do something that stupid and shortsighted unless they were uneducated or generally irresponsible. In which case, they'd not be doing it for their family per se, but for themselves under the subterfuge of doing it for the family.
However, Mac is just saying stupid shit like this to get some buzz about the show. it's a hail Mary.

I think a 4th outfielder type could roid up for a year, get the contract for his family. and then get off the roids. His health would probably be fine.

This is a desperation move though

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
anyone concerned about their family and long term health would never eat a baconator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:23 pm 

Bagels wrote:
anyone concerned about their family and long term health would never eat a baconator

:lol: Touche....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:25 pm 

Bagels wrote:

Babe Ruth would have.

Something tells me Geovanny Soto has had a few Baconators in his day

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:25 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Babe Ruth would have.

And a few cocks too. I mean chicken. Chicken sandwiches. Probably fried. In man goo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:26 pm 

Something tells me that Geovany Soto had a few Baconators this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:26 pm 

Darkside wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Babe Ruth would have.

And a few cocks too. I mean chicken. Chicken sandwiches. Probably fried. In man goo.

Oh yeah forgot.

Is Mac a straight shock jock now?

Soto is gay
Drugs for a story
Steroids for the kids

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:33 pm 

I held out hope as long as I could for that show. I stayed out of all of the back and forth between the AL'ers and the Kirk mults, but I've grown tired of it. The transition is still pretty good, but that is the extent of my Mac & Meat consumption now...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:35 pm 

Darkside wrote:

So you wouldn't take drugs for one year to make 10 million dollars and know that your grandchildrens financial future is secure?

Krazy Ivan wrote:
I understan your point, but the assumption that everyone follows your line of thinking is over the top. There are many different people here with their own views on life. While it may be likely that a good portion of people would do this, it is very presumptuous to say everyone would.

Point taken. I'll at least say that everyone here given the choice of getting a $20 million dollar contract for doing something that may result in later health problems would give it strong consideration. I'm not talking about someone like McGuire or Bonds who already had the talent. I'm talking about the guy living paycheck to paycheck on a minor league deal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:43 pm 

That's not really what I said, but I'll play along.

I'm not about being the morality police. I'm not desperate, Darkside... I'm being honest. If you watch the NFL (my favorite pro sport by a mile) on a big screen.... it's obvious steroids and other performance enhancing drugs are a part of the game. Good nutrition and the weight room don't produce THOSE results alone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:46 pm 

Rick. Couldn't you liken this to someone who chooses not to cheat on their taxes or steal someones wallet? Not beacause they are so high and mighty, but simply because they don't want to do illegal stuff. I know the steroid thing is on a much greater scale in terms of money to be made, but people make choices in regard to cheating almost every day...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:47 pm 

Mac wrote:

I'm not about being the morality police. I'm not desperate, Darkside... I'm being honest. If you watch the NFL (my favorite pro sport by a mile) on a big screen.... it's obvious steroids and other performance enhancing drugs are a part of the game. Good nutrition and the weight room don't produce THOSE results alone.

Any long time Mac listener knows when youre saying something more for effect than because you truly believe it.

If not desperation, a calculated attempt to "stir it up" at least.

I would do it in Rick or my 4th outfielder or AAAA player situation. No long term steroid use for me though. Just enough to get the deal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Darkside wrote:
Anyone concerned for their family long term wouldn't do something that stupid and shortsighted unless they were uneducated or generally irresponsible.

Way to indict most of the board here, you and I included, Darkside.

You could easily say the same thing about those who smoke pot and booze to excess on occasion.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
give me the needle...which ass cheek to you prefer?

pizza_Place: Milano's
Mac wrote:

But Tony LaRussa told me that's why Big Mac looks like the Incredible Hulk. Hard work. :scratch:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Mac wrote:
Good nutrition and the weight room don't produce THOSE results alone.

And if there's one thing Dan McNeil knows, it's what good nutrition and a strenuous weight lifting regimen can produce. :roll:

On the other hand, maybe this can be in volume #2 of the list book: "Contrived crap arguments a desperate Dan McNeil tossed out for ratings".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:54 pm 

Mac wrote:
If you watch the NFL (my favorite pro sport by a mile) on a big screen.... it's obvious steroids and other performance enhancing drugs are a part of the game. Good nutrition and the weight room don't produce THOSE results alone.

Couldnt resist.

On my normal sized screeen...ALL NFL Players appear CLEAN

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Irish Boy wrote:
On the other hand, maybe this can be in volume #2 of the list book: "Contrived crap arguments a desperate Dan McNeil tossed out for ratings".

Hell, that could fill up the entire book #2.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Ha. I didn't notice that. "You don't even begin to see how obvious steroid use is in the NFL until you have viewing equipment as expensive as mine."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:57 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
Ha. I didn't notice that. "You don't even begin to see how obvious steroid use is in the NFL until you have viewing equipment as expensive as mine."

Yeah anything below 50 inches and the players are skinny.

Im not on the "Mac brags too much" boat...but how often he mentions the stuff is pretty odd. Its like a tic or something.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:57 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Rick. Couldn't you liken this to someone who chooses not to cheat on their taxes or steal someones wallet? Not beacause they are so high and mighty, but simply because they don't want to do illegal stuff. I know the steroid thing is on a much greater scale in terms of money to be made, but people make choices in regard to cheating almost every day...

That is a very good counterpoint.

I guess the difference is that the risk-reward here is much greater. You likely aren't going to jail for steroid use unless you are Barry Bonds who isn't doing it for a new contract anyways. You may be negatively affecting your health but so is playing a sport.

Almost all people who used steroids got away with almost no repercussions. They may have health problems later but they also have changed the future of their entire family.

I'm not saying it's right but I would imagine that I would have been willing to take something, especially HGH which may actually not be bad for you if taken correctly, in order to know that my grandkids can be spoiled trust fund kids.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:58 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

That is a very good counterpoint.

I guess the difference is that the risk-reward here is much greater. You likely aren't going to jail for steroid use unless you are Barry Bonds who isn't doing it for a new contract anyways. You may be negatively affecting your health but so is playing a sport.

Almost all people who used steroids got away with almost no repercussions. They may have health problems later but they also have changed the future of their entire family.

I'm not saying it's right but I would imagine that I would have been willing to take something, especially HGH which may actually not be bad for you if taken correctly, in order to know that my grandkids can be spoiled trust fund kids.

How much more money did Brady Anderson make because of steroids?