It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Popped on MeatyMac on Doug's claim that "they've... uh... gelled?".
Turned on at 10:23 and heard about 4 minutes of commercials. Then there was a debate about who sang the Grinch song. That lasted about 10 minutes. They did manage to bitch about the Tribune sports section though, so they've piqued my curiosity becase I also think the Tribune sports section sucks ass.
After 15 minutes of listening, I would like to say... why does Meat feel the need to sing all the time? What's that all about? It's ok to hear the grinch once, (and I wouldn't be one to begrudge the parody songs regularly) but damn dude we heard it the first time. We also know you're a singer in a band. Can we talk some sports? that's why I tuned in today, to hear about some of the things that are going on today... It's early, and I've listened for only 20 minutes at this point. Small sample size right?
Notes so far... Mac sounds a bit ittitated with Meat and his overwhealming need to talk about the voice of tony the tiger. This doesn't sound like "gel" but maybe I've not heard "gel" before.
So 10:38 and it's commercial time until about 10:43.. It's hard to keep attention thru 5 minutes of boner pill ads but I'm doing this for scientific purposes.
Back to talking about the Grinch a bit, and Jim Carrey. And Willy Wonka. Mac admitted to taking acid, so that got a laugh, but I'm looking for some sports talk. Getting sweaty with anticipation.
It's 10:45 and we're complaining about the Dan Grossman thing, so this is somewhat sports related, but I know the Trib sucks... what do these guys think about Hank White to the Sout Side? I bet they'll get to it soon. I do agree with the wrath about the Trib sports section, though.
A rehash of the George Brett shit yourself thing. It's old. Saw this a couple years ago, I guess I don't get why this is news now?? I wonder what Silvy is talking about... damn focus dude... back to our study of "gel". I'm not particularly enjoying the bathroom talk much. Mac did manage to mention his fancy SUV though. Well played! A talk of how to crap in nature without getting messy. This is compelling... and rich. doesn't smell like mohogany though. Nearly 10 minutes of poop talk, plus a "Les Fiber" joke (always a gas!).
So there we had 9 minutes of shit yourself conversation. Back to commercials. I'm resisting the urge to see who S&W are talking to.
Only 4 minutes of commercials. Sweet some bulls talk starting at 10:58... That was a fun game right? I enjoyed it, although it was late. Damn. Back to poop talk at 11:01. Well, we got 3 minutes of Bulls talk, including a final score so there's that. Sphincter muscle talk! Awesome! I bet those college guys never talk about that on their shows! Cutting... edge!
Damn we're back to commercials at 11:03. Or an update. Sounds like the last update though.
THUNDERSTRUCK!
Back from reads and updates at 11:07. Talk about the Suntimes/Trib rivalry. 11:09 some Bears talk, mostly about Rivera/old players on the coaching staff... and it's a good point. I agree. I do miss Rivera though. He coached the last good Bear defense. Mac, I think you liked Chico only cause he came on your show all the time :drunken: .
For the record, when it's all said and done, the Bear defense won't end up as good as SD's but I liked the conversation. Mac even related the conversation to the Hawks firing on Savard, missed Pax's shittenure as Bulls GM though. Brought up Sandberg, which is something that drives me nuts.
Ok, so one hour of listening, a ton of commercials, I see about 10-12 minutes of sports talk (which was good) but if I wasn't committed today they'd have lost me with 10 minutes of poo talk. not that I'm above poo talk, hell no. I love talking poo. But that's not why I want to listen to these guys. if I want poo talk I'd listen to Stern or Johnny B.
There is indeed some improved chemistry between Mac and Meat from the last time I listened. The chemistry wasn't really the issue though.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Last edited by Darkside on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:34 pm 

PTBF?

Punch The Big Fan? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
WOW! I think this report is the most damning thing that can be written about a supposed "SportsTalk" show. To say Mac does not run a tight ship is an understatement.
These guys have one job: Sportstalk! Small talk,guy talk,talking about the weather is OK in small quanities,but everyone is trying to be the "Stern of Sports". Except for Mully & Hanley who are far on the other end of the spectrum. They are about as dry as Bea Arthur's snatch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
thanks for the misquote. I said "It seems like they are starting to gel."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
As long as he was not singing the Feldco jingle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Seacrest wrote:

For quality windows, siding and doors...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:43 pm 

The poo talk was ummm something.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:43 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:

Sorry. It was a bit of a misquote. I misremembered how you said it. I may have been under the influence.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:44 pm 

Also, I do hate all the commercials, but the times I have listened to 1000 it has not been any better. So that just seems to be reality of talk radio.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Darkside wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:

Sorry. It was a bit of a misquote. I misremembered how you said it. I may have been under the influence.

:drunken:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
rogers park bryan wrote:
PTBF?

Punch The Big Fan? :shock:

Pulls Tubes Before 5:00?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Northside_Dan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

For quality windows, siding and doors...

You suck.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Quote:
It's hard to keep attention thru 5 minutes of boner pill ads but I'm doing this for scientific purposes.

Boner pill ads are a nice lead in to all the poo talk.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:58 pm 

Hour Numbah two!
Listened to them talk to Mark Gonzales for a while. I'd like to hear them ask him about Hank White to the Sox or Gonzalez to the Sox talk but we're focusing on the rivalry between the Trib and the Suntimes. Interesting media discussion to be sure. I enjoyed the questions about pressure to produce big news and the like. I think they missed an opportunity to discuss the Sox though. Mac doesn't seem to like NBA or NHL talk and they seem to mostly want to talk Bears and baseball, but the Bears are disappointing and that leaves you needing to step up your hawkey talk and your Bulls talk or get into these irrelevant discussions.
Ok, that was over by about 11:30. More commercials. Some talk of former players coaching their former team. See, this is a bit of a non issue. I'd like to hear about why Noah is playing his brains out this year. Do you think Vinnie is a better coach than you gave him credit for last year? How about how the Bulls started the dreaded circus trip with a W? Maybe we should talk about a way to sign Towes, Kane and Keith and keep the Hawks under the cap (should they move Campbell and his $7 Mil a year???). Maybe later in the show...
11:46 and a solid plug on the ST column after the commercial marathon. (RFDC, I know it's a reality, this is about gel here afterall. I'm just making notes).
Successful coaches who coach their former team... pretty interesting talk, I guess. But since most coaches are former players there's always the potential that you coach your former team. Is the talk that you would give a former player more rope than you would a regular former player coach who hasn't performed to talk? I don't know... Savard got a quick hook, Rivera got fired. Maybe I'm missing the point. I am trying to trace a MPLS VoIP call while I'm listening.
What is a spongebod?
I see. We are talking about giving a guy the nod or advantage when choosing a coach/manager because he has some kind of mystical advantage over someone who hasn't been previously involved in the organization. And I agree with Mac. "Don't let that be your impetus". That's a helluva line right there. Not bad, though, nearly 10 minutes of sports talk here and it's interesting.
ABRUBT transition to commercial at 11:55.

It sounds like their chemistry is improving. I would have to get on board with anyone who thinks that Meat might be a bad guy to pair with Mac. It seriously sounds to me like Meat is drawing Mac off the sports talk and into drama world (the Gonzalez call for example, but I guess that's why he was on...??? Would have liked to hear more about these potential signings/trades).
When talking sports, not bad at all. I could have done without the poo talk, but you know, I guess 4 hours is a long time. It's gotten better to be sure. But still not the best show on the timeslot, but definately getting better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
I agree that chemistry is not an issue. Its how well they make the subjects flow, and how they don't let segments drag on. To me, the poop segment probably went on too long.

The continuance of the Blog story from yesterday seemed a little over, but I do agree with these guys that newspapers are morphing into not existing. (although for my money, I'd want something that can download the comics & sports page so I can read it on the train -- and the printed newspaper is great because it provides enough content for me to read on the commute in -- the Sun Times may rue the day they went away from being the afternoon paper, as trains were once filled with STs on the commute home)

It seems that the 11am hour is better today than what you heard on the 10am hour.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:07 pm 

I wish I could listen to this show and critique it. I just cant bring myself to podcast, well Jim Rome a couple times but thats the exception. I need my radio live.

Is meat worse than Harry?

Is the show worse than the first few MJH years?

What time is the Bossard segment today?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
"When you gotta go, you gotta go!" A little TMI concerning Mac's inability to use the men's room before the show...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: aurelios
Macs love of parody songs makes Meat the perfect partner.
It seems that is all he is good for that and pissing Mac off all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:28 pm 

I generally enjoy the show outside of a few annoying habits that Meatpants isn't likely to lose. I am willing to overlook them if the rest of the show is enjoyable just like I did with Harry.

I still am not sure what the mission statement of this show is. I'm not sure they know either.

Is it a show with "guy talk" that also fills times with relevant sports discussion or are they an actual sports radio show that fills times with "guy talk"?

To be honest, I think currently they are more "guy talk" oriented and to the extremes of guy talk too often. I very rarely discuss with my friends the below the belt area of men on television but that's just me.

I think they should be spending a majority of the time they are on the radio discussing sports and then let the other stuff fill the rest of the show. It seems to me as if they feel that simply bringing in a guest and doing a solid block of sports talk allows them the other time to freelance. I think that's the major difference between B&B and them. Outside of Who you Crappin and Friday Fung they are almost always sports related talk. You could listen to any 10 minute segment they do in a week and know that this is a sports radio station. I don't think that is true for the Danny Mac show.

This may be intentional and it's working well enough that I haven't switched to another station very much but I don't know if it will sustain me as a listener for a long time especially when common themes that I don't find entertaining seem to never go away.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:43 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Is meat worse than Harry?

Is the show worse than the first few MJH years?

What time is the Bossard segment today?

No. Meat is annoying and irrevelant but at least he doesn't sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. He's into music, and I love music, so there's that.

Yes and no. It's not a BAD show, it's just not good. I mean for a guy yakker show it's good to very good. From a sportstalk perspective, not so much, and it's about quantity of sports content for me.

No Bossard today yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:03 pm 

OOgie wrote:
Sure looks like you listen a wee bit more than you claim you do. That's alright , I won't tell.
I agree the show can be better, but I still listen. I appreciate the unbridled thought. If it turns into poopie talk, thats just what happens. As long as bad topics dont turn into callers telling poop stories, I usually dont care.
Just needs a small kick in the ass in some way. A Major contest perhaps?

I listened to thje show for the first time since July today. I did have a habit in August of switching to 670 when 1k was on break but I found myself doing that a hell of a lot less now that I'm streaming instead of sitting here with a radio. Besides the crosstalk segment once in a while, I'd not heard these guys since early August.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Poop talk, cock, talk...if it wasn't for assholes and dicks, these two wouldn't have anything to talk about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:48 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
Roll Call -

Hussra, check.
Gloopan - check
Score is Doomed - missing in action?
Scorehead - missing in action?

WTF? This can not be a thread about Dan unless the four horseman are all present and accounted for.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Positano's Pizza
DegenerateDave wrote:
Roll Call -

Hussra, check.
Gloopan - check

WTF? This can not be a thread about Dan unless the four horseman are all present and accounted for.

Oh man, that's an avatar waiting to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
DegenerateDave wrote:
Roll Call -

Hussra, check.
Gloopan - check

We're outnumbering you 2-1

DD - check
Frank Costanza - MIA
STU GOTZ MIA
spaulding MIA

The four horse's asses of ALS.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:17 pm 

Hussra and Gloop are operating on a whole nutha level. SID has lost his fastball imo. Nothing new from SID in a while. Scorehead is even more repetitive. While Gloop is one funny mfer and Hussra has correctly shined a light on the cock talk situation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:37 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Bernstein and McNeil would be the best sports show in the city. Neither one would take the other one's crap. If they could avoid killing one another it'd work great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:54 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
Bernstein and McNeil would be the best sports show in the city. Neither one would take the other one's crap. If they could avoid killing one another it'd work great.

agreed 100%.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

Irish Boy wrote:

Mac is far too lazy and dull to pair up with little danny.
Mac is a just a lazy version of north, unprepared, dull and not very bright. Look at the new shitfest he created, but then again, it's never his fault. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:21 pm 

jimmypasta wrote: These guys have one job: Sportstalk! Small talk,guy talk,talking about the weather is OK in small quanities,but everyone is trying to be the "Stern of Sports".

Not trying to be anything other than who we are, jimmypasta. And the job is best defined as "guy talk." Period. Talking about sports, which we do 90 % of the time, is one way about attracting an adult male audience. Talking about almost shitting your pants is another way. Music, movies, entertainment, etc., all are done with the goal of getting as many adult men to listen as possible. We all get paid bonuses for succeeding at attracting adult men radio. It doesn't specify in anybody's contract WHY they listen, just that they listen.

Thank you, Darkside, for taking it upon yourself for the play-by-play of what you heard. Nice to have you back today. Too bad you missed the first hour, which had more Bulls at te top (I think I may have been the only guy in town who watched 'em until the end Tuesday night) and a 35-minute beatdown of the great Phil Simms, who hung himself in an appearance on the M&H show earlier in the morning.