It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
I really enjoyed this article
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mcneil/1892623,CST-SPT-mac19.article

Primarily I really appreciate the pub. Northwestern football struggles to get attention for what I believe to be a really compelling story. It's a Bears town first (as it should be), and a ND, Illini, and perhaps every other Big 10 team except Penn State next. But as you point out, there are alot of reasons to think there is something good occurring just north of the city.

I know I've said this before, but I've always thought there is a chance that the NU football program could become more important to Chicago. Given Pat Fitzgerald's roots, the underdog story, proximity to the city, and (gulp) the availability of seats at an affordable price; I guess I would have thought NU could attract a decent portion of non-alums to become fans.

I grew up in Cleveland, and remember rooting for Mouse McFadden at Cleveland State, despite having no connection to the school. I know it can be done. Now I'm a Chicago guy for life... I love this city and the school. I'm not saying the program deserves the saint-like status of certain programs in South Bend, but I think there are alot of elements that would make it attractive for Chicagoans to root for.

At minimum, during hard economic times, I would've thought that buying a $25 endzone seat (and moving to much better seats because no usher would deny you those empty 25 yardline spots) would have been an attractive alternative to spending $200-$1000 for Bears tix. I even offered to subsidize half the price of a CSFMB group outing to any NU home game. Other than Doug and another (whom I forget), I couldn't get anyone to even consider it. In the words of Dan Hawkins, THIS IS DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!

But I know the stigma. Private school with a losing history. Well, I can't deny that NU is a private school, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of rice in China. And as far as a losing history, I think you correctly pointed out that the post-Dark Ages record (1995 and on) is quite admirable. And if you consider that they are doing it with lunchpail kids like Zeke Marchausen (a walk-on who is our leading receiver), Mike Kafka (a local St. Rita grad), and a hodge podge of other kids who weren't good enough to play for Tressle, Urban, or Weiss... I think Chicagoans will find alot to like about this program.

To the CSFMBers:
I'll offer it again, I will subsidize anyone from CSFMB who wants to go to the Wisconsin game. Buy a ticket from the Wildcat ticket office (847) 491-CATS (2287)... and I'll pay for half of it. PM me with how many tix you bought and a paypal address and I will send you the cash. I'll give you my email address via PM and you can email me your wildcat ticket office receipt. For an even better deal, consider this Groupon deal pointed out by the NU football blog LakeThePosts.com.
http://www.groupon.com/deals/northwestern-football

Go Cats.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:

To the CSFMBers:
I'll offer it again, I will subsidize anyone from CSFMB who wants to go to the Wisconsin game. Buy a ticket from the Wildcat ticket office (847) 491-CATS (2287)... and I'll pay for half of it. PM me with how many tix you bought and a paypal address and I will send you the cash. I'll give you my email address via PM and you can email me your wildcat ticket office receipt. For an even better deal, consider this Groupon deal pointed out by the NU football blog LakeThePosts.com.
http://www.groupon.com/deals/northwestern-football

Go Cats.

Wow that's a damn fine offer. I guess I"m in the market for a 2nd college football team to follow. I went to Miami University which is obviously a school that gets no press locally or nationally for their football program. The program was starting to make strides with Coach Hoep and Big Ben obviously, but since he left for Indiana and Ben left the program is progressively getting worse. The school lately has been putting a lot more of its resources to its hockey program, which is #1 nationally, and football is becoming an afterthought.

I've got no plans this Saturday, so maybe I'll convince the misses to bundle up and we'll head up to Evanston. The price is definitely right and I can't stand Wisconsin, so it's a win win

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:44 am 

I'll even pay for the whole ticket if you post pics on Monday with you at the game in purple. I'll do that for 10 people... The first 10 who post pics here.

Me and the fam up in Evanston:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:28 am 

Which one is you? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:31 am 

spanky wrote:
Which one is you? :wink:

it's actually the photo that came with the wallet :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:54 am 

Wow... no takers? OK... first 6 guys who buy tix and send me the online receipt, I'll pay for the whole thing. Northside_Dan... I'll pay for two tix for you. I think it's $50 for 2 endzone seats. Just pm me your paypal and I'll send the money right now... you can use those funds to upgrade to whatever seats you want.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:46 pm 

This is bad... I can't even give away tickets! Well, y'all missed a phenomenal game. Next year I'll be doing the same thing likely!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Good looking family MUD. If I lived closer I definitely would've went.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I would have went with NSJ so he could give me "career advice".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:16 pm 

Congratulations MUD. NU had one hell of a season.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
This is bad... I can't even give away tickets! Well, y'all missed a phenomenal game. Next year I'll be doing the same thing likely!

I have season tickets......Jim O'Donnell was dead on in the Sun Times 2 weeks ago.....NU should take the wrecking ball to that dump of a stadium and build a cozy 50,000 seat place like Stanford and Minnesota.

NU has nothing but money.....

I agree totally that the NU athletic department does nothing to market their product to the entire area, rather than having it a North Shore event.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Hey MUD,
First off,Congrats on the beautiful family,your a lucky man!
2nd,ever since I bought a 65-inch Mitsubishi about 7 years ago,my going to any kind of game is a thing of the past. I watched on the BIG10 network in HD with my son. Great game. This guy Kafka looks like an NFL bound QB. Hard to imagine somebody better then him out there. I never went to NU,Illinois or Notre Dame but those are my colleges I root for. When NU plays The Illini,I root for who needs the game most. This year,it was NU.
9 out of 11 starters injured on Defense & they still win 8 games? Great season! Looking forward to a bowl game around New Years!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I'll go next year for sure in September or early October. I've only been to 3 college football games, so it would be nice to see another.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:57 pm 

Thanks for the nice words. We had a great time. Started he tailgates around 11:00 and went until about 11:00 PM at night. I think I still smell of burgers and bud light. It was pretty cool game and it was neat seeing the kids rush the field, many for their final year at the school. Looks like we're probably going to the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando. I'll be there.

Next year guys... Look for a similar invite.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Forward Unto Dawn Mess Hall
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Started he tailgates around 11:00 and went until about 11:00 PM at night.

Hmm...does this mean you had MW2 going at the tailgate?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:51 pm 

Home5licE wrote:
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Started he tailgates around 11:00 and went until about 11:00 PM at night.

Hmm...does this mean you had MW2 going at the tailgate?

I was outta there at 8:45 but my host rallied to 11:00.

by the way, in case you missed the game, here are some highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVafhoYFvtw&feature=player_embedded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
MUD, If NW plays OSU in Evanston next year, I'll join ya.

If they play in Columbus, road trip?

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'