It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Darkside wrote:
But at least it's a sports show. They're ALWAYS talking about sports. Only once in a while do they sprinkle in some non sports talk.

If you want nonstop sports talk you have to go to a national show.

please define ALWAYS and once in a while...

What is your favorite pizza or burger in the city. Ever been to Hub 51? I hear a lot of Bears players go there...Wonder what the BBQ guy will talk about for a half an hour on Wednesday? I'm gonna guess "how to brine a turkey" or "deep-fry a turkey" will come up.

eat turkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
doug - evergreen park wrote:
If you want nonstop sports talk you have to go to a national show.
eat turkey

That's not quite true. Naturally I don't mean 100% of the time but I think it's pretty well established that the local show opposite Mac and Meat and the local shows both succeeding and preceeding this show talk sports a lot more.
I rarely see S&W or B&B get into nonsports talk. They might tell a goofy story but that's about it.

FWIW I tuned in today for about 15 minutes of commercials and a parody song.
I'm dialing in to try to get into this show.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Mac leaving the old sportsaroo and discussing other man-erisms is nothing new going back to MJH. He probably does it more than other shows, but that does not mean other shows don't do it too.

I just described the B&B show leaving the sports topic. Let me know if you PTFB tomorrow when the BBQ man comes on. I know I will.
S&W do it too...how many daughter soccer stories or Waddle fratboy weekend stories have you heard? It's not all the time, but they are guilty as well. Any Carmen wedding stories on Monday? I'm sure there were...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:30 pm 

Mac leaving the old sportsaroo and discussing other man-erisms is nothing new going back to MJH. He probably does it more than other shows, but that does not mean other shows don't do it too.

I just described the B&B show leaving the sports topic. Let me know if you PTFB tomorrow when the BBQ man comes on. I know I will.
S&W do it too...how many daughter soccer stories or Waddle fratboy weekend stories have you heard? It's not all the time, but they are guilty as well. Any Carmen wedding stories on Monday? I'm sure there were...

Tomorrow, gonna be too dang busy to listen, but I am not too interested in the BBQ man.
I'm not trying to be a dick. This is just one listeners feel for the show.
MJH did get off the sports topic and into mantalk quite a bit. Jurko was a MILLION times better at it than either of the other guys. Maybe I was just a bigger fan of Jurko than I thought. Since Mac left, I've switched exclusively to B&B. Maybe I oughta give them a listen to see what's up, but from what I hear, no Mac means Harry Gone Wild which, frankly I'm not terribly interested in either.
Is Jurk still as sleepy? Is Harry out of control? What's happening at the Saloon, cause no one seems to talk about it much here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
Darkside wrote:

Tomorrow, gonna be too dang busy to listen, but I am not too interested in the BBQ man.
I'm not trying to be a dick. This is just one listeners feel for the show.
MJH did get off the sports topic and into mantalk quite a bit. Jurko was a MILLION times better at it than either of the other guys. Maybe I was just a bigger fan of Jurko than I thought. Since Mac left, I've switched exclusively to B&B. Maybe I oughta give them a listen to see what's up, but from what I hear, no Mac means Harry Gone Wild which, frankly I'm not terribly interested in either.
Is Jurk still as sleepy? Is Harry out of control? What's happening at the Saloon, cause no one seems to talk about it much here.

I will listen to the replay of CJH from 6 to 7 occasionally. JD was actually really good in driving the bus the other day - there's something about JD that is laid back and an easy listen to me - not shouty, not contreversial, but interesting.
Not sure how that would evolve in a full time gig though.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Oh Dave, you're so relevant!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:45 pm 

Listening to Mac yesterday, one thing I forgot, Mac is pretty funny.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
spmack wrote:
Oh Dave, you're so relevant!

Camps - you are making me blush my friend. :oops:

Or it could be the beer at lunch...

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Darkside wrote:

It's become very espny. Nobody really has any thoughts, it's mindless and forgettable. There was a quick market update & the games are a little stupid. It's not horrible and I still find it preferable to B&B but it's not great. The hosts are alright but I don't think they are a good fit with each other.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
The problem with Man Talk on a sports radio station is that not everyone is tuning in to hear it, while everyone is tuning in to hear sports talk.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Spaulding wrote:

it's mindless and forgettable. .

Maybe the best description of the show I've heard. It's fine for what it is, just kind of blah. Harry is still terrible. I enjoy B&B and their ability to spark emotion out of people, for better or worse, they get reactions and it keeps me listening everyday

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:09 pm 

Pappy's Crappy wrote:
So should we all (radio hosts included) stop criticizing the Bears because (a) their games are available on "free" radio and over-the-air TV, and (b) we're not good enough to play in the NFL?

i probably dug a deeper hole than i intended here. i found the analogy bad because you're talking about personally buying something versus a service that's virtually free for you. i am not making the argument that it isn't right to criticize. it's the same way i feel about the analogy people make when they compare athletes having to be professional to their profession. "If I don't go to work, or I say that at work, my boss fires me," or something like that. as if athletes and celebrities are looked upon as the regular working class joe. it's just not an apt argument.

I guess I am splitting hairs, as seacrest mentioned--i didn't really want to come off that way. I do agree criticism is fine, in fact I encourage it. I just didn't like the analogy. that's all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Forward Unto Dawn Mess Hall
Pappy's Crappy wrote:
So should we all (radio hosts included) stop criticizing the Bears because (a) their games are available on "free" radio and over-the-air TV, and (b) we're not good enough to play in the NFL?

Damn...this is exactly where I was going with it... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:57 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FIRST TIME CALLER wrote:
the hypocrisy of b&b is laughable ,remember Dick Juaron when they said his headset was playing elevator music ,he was foolish, a plain jane,vanilla coach , no fire ,didn't motivate his players and the bears players played just like his persona???? now they are making fun of a caller ,when they had the same point of view several years ago...
I remember the "headset music" joke (I think Bernsie actually surmised he was listening to The Girl From Impanema)...the rest is imaginary radio.

sorry asslicker ,they stated the team was playing like the coach acted

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Irish Boy wrote:
The problem with Man Talk on a sports radio station is that not everyone is tuning in to hear it, while everyone is tuning in to hear sports talk.

The problem with not doing Man Talk is that talking about sports around the clock can get really boring after a while. Listeners develop relationships with the hosts, who are real people and not content-delivery mechanisms. Past a certain point, I'd rather listen to Mac break down a Led Zeppelin album than break down the offensive line. Maybe I don't like sports that much. I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:43 am 

Pappy's Crappy wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Pappy's Crappy wrote:
[

Why does Scorehead have to get behind a mic and do a show? If he gets a bad steak at the butcher, does he have to prove he can go out and raise cattle and process and pack meat before he complains about it? If he buys a television that doesn't work, does he have to go out and prove he can build a TV before he criticizes it?

terrible analogy. you're not paying for your radio service. that is, AM is free...

Wrong. No free lunch. The sponsors pay to advertise on the show and to get you to listen to their commercials. The cost of advertising is built in to the price of their products.

The sponsors don't get me to listen to commercials unless I want to. And usually I don't.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:23 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

The problem with not doing Man Talk is that talking about sports around the clock can get really boring after a while. Listeners develop relationships with the hosts, who are real people and not content-delivery mechanisms. Past a certain point, I'd rather listen to Mac break down a Led Zeppelin album than break down the offensive line. Maybe I don't like sports that much. I don't know.

I agree that 100% sports talk is just as boring as 100% "Man Talk." Problem is that 90% of Man Talk and 10% sports talk on a sports radio station tends to kill your audience's interest.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:30 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Curious Hair wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

There's a certain crowd that likes 100% sports, wants deep and abiding thoughts from the hosts, want their hosts to be so knowledgeable that it outstrips said crowd's knowledge.

Then there are people who tune in to be entertained by the host.

Mac will talk music some; B&B uses mockery of meatballs as their entertainment vehicle.

Anyway, all you are telling us, Hair, is that you can read other sections of the newspaper just as adeptly. No shame in that

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza Norridge Il
thanks captain obvious great insight.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:06 pm 

Listened since 9 today. Very sporty today. Interesting change. Wha happon?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:07 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Listened since 9 today. Very sporty today. Interesting change. Wha happon?

It is a lot of stuff going on in sports. :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
Good show today; been v good all week. Nothing to complain about here. Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
DaMaNa got "chemistry and gel" tickat...

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
DaMaNa got "chemistry and gel" tickat...

Big ED needs to throw a flag on this bit soon. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:56 pm 

Listened today for a couple hours. It's better.
But damn, Mac, you realize how much better you sounded on 1000? They've just got a better signal or equipment or I don't know what but you sound a lot more tinny and further away and muffled on 670.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Are you kidding? 670 and 720 are the best signals in town. 1000 sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:30 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Are you kidding? 670 and 720 are the best signals in town. 1000 sucks.

670 and 720 got clear channel ticket.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:24 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I agree, good shows this week.

I think the TDMS Christmas Card should be a picture of Terry Boers running over to help an old lady covered in Cheez-It boxes.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:33 am 

Told ya, you would be back Darkie. :wink:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:35 am 

RFDC wrote:
Told ya, you would be back Darkie. :wink:

Hold on here fella. I'm not back per se, just checking out the competition. Maybe if people knew I had that damn PPM machine they'd be nicer to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next