It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official Weigh in
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:02 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
135 last night. 4lbs and i didn't do anything... :lol:

i'll send ya some pictures spaulding... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
DegenerateDave wrote:
Started the program last night by getting rid of the Pepsi and going with Pepsi Max. Got on the treadmill for a half hour last night and thought I was going to die. It's amazing how much cardio you lose in a year's time. Last year at this time I could run a mile in about 7.5 minutes. Was somewhere near an embarassing 10 minute mile last night. Pathetic.

I'd like to get down to 200 by the deadline and 185 there after.

I was able to finish 2.75 miles in 30 minutes so I have a lot of work to do. I lifted for 15 minutes
after that, and then officially waved the white flag. Oh well, it's a start I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
T-Bone wrote:
DegenerateDave wrote:
Started the program last night by getting rid of the Pepsi and going with Pepsi Max. Got on the treadmill for a half hour last night and thought I was going to die. It's amazing how much cardio you lose in a year's time. Last year at this time I could run a mile in about 7.5 minutes. Was somewhere near an embarassing 10 minute mile last night. Pathetic.

I'd like to get down to 200 by the deadline and 185 there after.

I was able to finish 2.75 miles in 30 minutes so I have a lot of work to do. I lifted for 15 minutes
after that, and then officially waved the white flag. Oh well, it's a start I guess.

Tbone - it's definitely a start. Depending on how long you have been away from doing cardio, it's gonna take some time. I was depressed with my effort but then I looked at the positives that I actually DID something instead of sitting on my ass watching Heroes. We will get there.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:23 am 

Dave, I have been hitting the treadmill off and on for the past couple of years. I
used to be able to run sub 10 minute miles pretty easily so I need to get back to
that. I currently run at a 1.0 incline as well which makes it slightly more challenging.
For me it is all about actually pushing myself and not giving up when I start getting
tired. I also need to go more than once a week. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
just curious...is there a home gym that is effective that would be recommended? I know people say you're less motivated with a home gym and won't do it, but i'm kinda the opposite- i think if i had a gym membership i might not go as often but if the thing is sitting in my living room i'll use it. i'm mostly thinking for the winter too, in the summer i play basketball and tennis and have free weights in my garage I can use so that's no issue, plus it's easier to run in the summer. the winter is when it's easier to slack off and do nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:27 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Dave, I have been hitting the treadmill off and on for the past couple of years. I
used to be able to run sub 10 minute miles pretty easily so I need to get back to
that. I currently run at a 1.0 incline as well which makes it slightly more challenging.
For me it is all about actually pushing myself and not giving up when I start getting
tired. I also need to go more than once a week. :oops:

The incline makes a big difference. I don't use an incline because it puts too much stress on my knees and I am practically bone on bone in the left one. I am going to try to do 30 minutes 4 days a week. Changing to Pepsi Max will probably take off 5 or 6 pounds alone, the treadmill/cardio should be good for at least another 10.

We should try to use this thread to keep each other and everyone else motivated - anything that you try to do or quit is more successful when you have a support group.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:28 am 

Bagels wrote:
just curious...is there a home gym that is effective that would be recommended? I know people say you're less motivated with a home gym and won't do it, but i'm kinda the opposite- i think if i had a gym membership i might not go as often but if the thing is sitting in my living room i'll use it. i'm mostly thinking for the winter too, in the summer i play basketball and tennis and have free weights in my garage I can use so that's no issue, plus it's easier to run in the summer. the winter is when it's easier to slack off and do nothing.

Get two dumbells. You can do an amazing amount of stuff with just that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:29 am 

Bagels wrote:

Are you looking cardio wise or muscle building wise? If cardio, you can get a decent eliptical without all the bells and whistles for around 150-200 at Walmart or Kmart. If you want a really good one that will measure heart rate, has Ipod plug-ins and digital readout, you are probably talking around 3 bills or a bit more, depending on how much you want to go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 am 

DegenerateDave wrote:

We should try to use this thread to keep each other and everyone else motivated - anything that you try to do or quit is more successful when you have a support group.

This is why I decided to get in this. Also why I decided to put $50 up. Not as easy for
me to quit when I have enough scratch out there that I don't want to lose. A big part of
the reason I feel I haven't been successful in the past is the fact that I only have myself
to depend on and push me. Being spineless and weak, I haven't gotten very far.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:51 am 

T-Bone wrote:
DegenerateDave wrote:

This is why I decided to get in this. Also why I decided to put $50 up. Not as easy for
me to quit when I have enough scratch out there that I don't want to lose. A big part of
the reason I feel I haven't been successful in the past is the fact that I only have myself
to depend on and push me. Being spineless and weak, I haven't gotten very far.

You just let me know what motivates you T Bone. You want me to call you a pussy if you slack off? Done. If you want positive reinforcement, I'm there for you as well. That sounds a little ghey, but you know what you mean.

When I was quitting smoking I got a lot of help and positive reinforcement from a quitting smoking message board. I think this thread can be used the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:52 am 

Thanks Dave, we'll see how it all works out after the first few weeks. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:53 am 

Last night during the 2nd half of the Fiesta Bowl, instead of my usual chips or cookies for a snack, I ate a grapefruit.

A grapefruit.

The line in the sand has been drawn. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:54 am 

spanky wrote:
Last night during the 2nd half of the Fiesta Bowl, instead of my usual chips or cookies for a snack, I ate a grapefruit.

A grapefruit.

did you squirt any pulp?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
spanky wrote:

A grapefruit.

I haven't had a beer or a coke since sunday, I'm starting to twitch...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:55 am 

Bagels wrote:
spanky wrote:

A grapefruit.

did you squirt any pulp?

I just thought about baseball the entire time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:57 am 

crosscheck wrote:
spanky wrote:

A grapefruit.

I haven't had a beer or a coke since sunday, I'm starting to twitch...

Just from a been there done that point of view, don't give up everything at once. When I lost all the weight a little over a year ago, I gave up caffeine, fast food and sodium all at once and it had big repercussions - dizzyness, blurred vision, nausea, etc. I guess it was too much of a system shock.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Mr. Hernandez wrote:
CSFMB Guy wrote:
And you claim to be a ladies man? You sure it was a lady that left that splooge on your coat?

I've never made such a claim so get my cock out your mouth and let your girl finish me off douche :roll:

Who the hell you crappin??

I'm no board historian, but IIRC you've made several self-aggrandizing posts lately (pictures included) detailing your recent sexual exploits, which should open you to at least a friendly ribbing in the first place, which was my attempt. Self-douchebag nominations alone are grounds for that, particularly when the nomination is a veiled cry for attention, i.e. "I'm a douchebag because look at all the ladies I've been hitting it up with this year and now one of them found a condom under my bed or something." Or else posting a picture of your stained jacket, along with the story behind said stain for yet another stab at a few crumbs of approval.

But that's all irrelevant, anyway, since when you post an unflattering picture of yourself up here, you should expect to get shit from people. Hell, I've had some very unflattering pictures of myself put up here in the past from other posters without my consent, got plenty of shit over them, and I don't think I ever made a fuss about it. But anyway, I'll get off my high horse now...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:48 am 

I gained a few over the holidays. I am now approximately Frank's dimensions. I went for a 3 mile run yesterday but I will not be joining your challenge. Ash Wednesday is February 17. I do my best work during Lent.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
CSFMB Guy wrote:
Mr. Hernandez wrote:
CSFMB Guy wrote:
And you claim to be a ladies man? You sure it was a lady that left that splooge on your coat?

I've never made such a claim so get my cock out your mouth and let your girl finish me off douche :roll:

I'm no board historian, but IIRC you've made several self-aggrandizing posts lately (pictures included) detailing your recent sexual exploits, which should open you to at least a friendly ribbing in the first place, which was my attempt. Self-douchebag nominations alone are grounds for that, particularly when the nomination is a veiled cry for attention, i.e. "I'm a douchebag because look at all the ladies I've been hitting it up with this year and now one of them found a condom under my bed or something." Or else posting a picture of your stained jacket, along with the story behind said stain for yet another stab at a few crumbs of approval.

But that's all irrelevant, anyway, since when you post an unflattering picture of yourself up here, you should expect to get shit from people. Hell, I've had some very unflattering pictures of myself put up here in the past from other posters without my consent, got plenty of shit over them, and I don't think I ever made a fuss about it. But anyway, I'll get off my high horse now...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:07 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I was able to finish 2.75 miles in 30 minutes so I have a lot of work to do. I lifted for 15 minutes after that, and then officially waved the white flag. Oh well, it's a start I guess.

You gotta flip that shit around.
You'll get much better results if you lift first with a minute rest between sets, and follow that up with a moderate cardio session.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:17 am 

I don't do any weights until I reach desired weight/cardio status. I will do crunches and sit ups to tone, but I don't mess with the weights at all while I am focusing on cardio.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:27 am 

Mustang Rob wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
I was able to finish 2.75 miles in 30 minutes so I have a lot of work to do. I lifted for 15 minutes after that, and then officially waved the white flag. Oh well, it's a start I guess.

You gotta flip that shit around.
You'll get much better results if you lift first with a minute rest between sets, and follow that up with a moderate cardio session.

I saw a trainer last year and he told me I wanted to get my heart rate up before I started the lifting portion. I would much rather do it your way though as there is nothing worse than lifting weights in a really sweaty shirt. I'll try it your way this time around and see how it goes Mustang.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Warm up and do about 5 min, lift then do cardio.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:39 am 

My sister put me on a program that combines lifting and cardio. It's a fuckin bitch but the weight melts off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Squats and steps while you lift are brutal but effective.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:56 am 

She has me run on a treadmill between lifting. That trainer is right, it is all about keeping your heart rate up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:58 am 

Quote:
If Your Goal is Increasing Muscle Size and Strength
Increasing muscle size can best be accomplished by lifting weights first when the body's main source of energy for muscle contraction (glycogen) is high. If you do a hard cardio workout before lifting, you deplete glycogen, which makes the workout ineffective.

This always made sense to me, and it seems like the method that the chick trainer (Jillian?) uses on Biggest Looser. Bigger muscles use up more fuel...

But this line of thought is out there as well.
It seems to be a question of the efficiency of the post weight cardio vs. pre weights.

Quote:
If Your Goal is Burning Calories for Fat Loss
If your primary goal is to burn as many calories as you can in a single session, it's probably best to do cardio first and lift weights next. There isn't any magic behind this; it's simply easier for most people to burn more calories per exercise session when they do cardio first. However, almost any combination of burning more calories while eating fewer will result in fat loss. The problem is that most people fatigue quickly when lifting weights, and therefore cannot perform the exercise as long as they can walk, bike or use an elliptical machine. The end result is that the total calories burned per exercise session tends to be higher for those who do endurance exercise first, simply because the can exercise longer.

My plan is:
3 days a week - I drink my shake, work up a pretty good sweat lifting, and finish it off with a run. 2 days a week - I run/bike. 7 days a week I drink about a gallon of water.
It worked in the past, but then I quit smoking, got pissed at the world, and ate myself silly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I think I am going to do some basic total body lifting every other day and a 30-40 minute jog outside 6 out of 7 days for the first few weeks. Then I would like to modify the 300 workout so I have 2 workouts that alternate body parts so I can do it 5 days a week in the morning and then run 45-1 hr 5-6 times per week at night.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: nowhere
CSFMB Guy wrote:
Mr. Hernandez wrote:
CSFMB Guy wrote:

I kno but I've never said I was a ladies man. All my pics r unflattering imo but I didn't post it in hopes that you'd find me attractive. Its a goofy pic I decided to take as my csfmb weigh in pic and post it here for shits n giggles...btw it does look like I'm takin a shit there :? Anyway its all good. I just had an anger issue before I posted a response to ur reply

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:16 pm 

oh fuck...c'mon hernandez, i was expecting you to come out swinging.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next